PDA

View Full Version : Michael Anthony one of the best Bass players today!

tydhurst
10-05-2004, 09:59 AM
Have a look at the picture, ignore that fact that he has a fucking stupid real name and look at the bit i've highlighted.

I'm a Bass player and i'm confused, insulted, confused, angery, and most of all CONFUSED.

the website you might ask?

http://www.vanhalen.com

David Van Via
10-05-2004, 10:01 AM
Yup one of the best around today. With his superior sol....... or his great tech.........good bassli....... Nope what the fuck is that person on about.

Figs
10-05-2004, 10:04 AM
he does the job well enough. distinctive background vocals. does his job but shouldn't be doing "solos"

tydhurst
10-05-2004, 10:06 AM
I once met a guy in a Kebab shop trying to convince me he was good. It worked for about ten seconds.

David Van Via
10-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Figs
he does the job well enough. distinctive background vocals. does his job but shouldn't be doing "solos"

His Backing vocals are fine, and the basslines he plays go with the songs, but because the go with the songs it doesn't make him one of the best bassist around.

Your solo in a concert should be your chance to show your best. And that's what he does.

tydhurst
10-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Yeah.

ThrillsNSpills
10-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Mikey got buried in the mix on the early albums.

Listen to some of the club stuff, he's better than you think.

He's not a grandstand kind of player, like Sheehan.
Plus Ed is such a busy player that it would sound jumbled if the Bass player was throwin' in a lot of fills.

His harmonies are phenomenal and blend great with Dave's vocals.

Matt White
10-05-2004, 10:50 AM
Given enough time, a chimpanzee could figure out and play MIKEY's bass lines.

FUCK YOU Van Hagar!!!!

tydhurst
10-05-2004, 10:53 AM
Not one of the greatest though. His backing vocals have fuck all to do with it, the website didn't say "Mike is one of the best backing vocalists today."

And you've given me reasons why he's a good bass player for Van Halen. but not why he's one of the best bass players today!

DlocRoth
10-05-2004, 11:04 AM
If he only had 1 finger on his right hand, he wouldnt sound much different than he does now.

At least he could still do his solo, which consists of pounding on his bass and doing the Homer shuffle.

That being said, his harmonies do kick ass.

VH didnt need him to be great. Can we call him solid?

Bill Lumbergh
10-05-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
If he only had 1 finger on his right hand, he wouldnt sound much different than he does now.

At least he could still do his solo, which consists of pounding on his bass and doing the Homer shuffle.

That being said, his harmonies do kick ass.

VH didnt need him to be great. Can we call him solid?

Average at his peak..........and his solos are just horrific.........

manwiththedogs
10-05-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
Mikey got buried in the mix on the early albums.

Listen to some of the club stuff, he's better than you think.

He's not a grandstand kind of player, like Sheehan.
Plus Ed is such a busy player that it would sound jumbled if the Bass player was throwin' in a lot of fills.

His harmonies are phenomenal and blend great with Dave's vocals.

Vai is a pretty busy player himself, but Sheehan plays alot of fills, runs...ect. and it sounds fuggin great.
Having a monster guitarist in the band dosen`t mean we bass players have to hide in the shadows. The tricky thing is knowing when to lay back and when to come out swinging.

Matt White
10-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by manwiththedogs
Vai is a pretty busy player himself, but Sheehan plays alot of fills, runs...ect. and it sounds fuggin great.
Having a monster guitarist in the band dosen`t mean we bass players have to hide in the shadows.

EXACTLY manwiththedogs!!!
EVH has ALWAYS been an egomaniac. That's why their NEVER gonna fire MIKEY. NOBODY else is gonna sit in the shadows off stage and let that drunken Dutch lawn gnome hog the spotlight.

DAVE OR THE GRAVE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!

Catfish
10-05-2004, 12:44 PM
He's definitely one of the fattest!

Catfish
10-05-2004, 12:44 PM
He gets my vote for 'Best Hair Plugs'!

ULTRAMAN VH
10-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Mike's background vocals really set VH apart from the other hard rock acts. Bands like Dokken, Motley Crue, and Ratt were piss weak in this department. As a bass player he gave Ed the room to do just about whatever he wanted on stage. He basically was a great fit for the VH line up. But not the best thats for sure. Most studio musicians would smoke his ass.

Catfish
10-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
Mike's background vocals really set VH apart from the other hard rock acts. Bands like Dokken, Motley Crue, and Ratt were piss weak in this department. As a bass player he gave Ed the room to do just about whatever he wanted on stage. He basically was a great fit for the VH line up. But not the best thats for sure. Most studio musicians would smoke his ass.

Yeah, he gave Ed plenty of room to do all kinds of things like smoke for cancer, fuck up hips, fire singers, ruin the band’s good name, get divorced, shit on his fans, drink until he’s stoopid…

smaz
10-05-2004, 05:21 PM
I was listening to an early VH bootleg. 1979 maybe?? Not sure, but I completely missed his solo. I was playing a pc game while listening to it, and I didn't even notice the solo untill it was finished - promptly after he started it. I turned to my friend and said 'Was that it?'. It was pathetic. Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers is a much better bass player. Listen to his solos and they're crazy. And I'm sure there are plenty of others that are better.

His backing vocals don't really count for being a good bass player. That's got nothing to do with his bass playing abilities. If he sung over the top of his solo's, would that make them better?

Catfish
10-05-2004, 05:32 PM
Michelle's solos did nothing but WRECK every bit of momentum the mighty Van Halen used to drum up onstage every night.

A horrible waste, his solo time was. Selfish and horrible. Fuck that porky fuck!

BARE BONE
10-05-2004, 05:47 PM
He tried to help with background vocals but I have alot of boots where he's not singing in key at all and fucking it all up.Just because you have a high voice doesn't mean you should sing. There's some songs where he sounds good on record but I like it better when he doesn't help Dave on the records.Dave should of just doubled his voice. His bass solos are a joke.

smaz
10-05-2004, 05:58 PM
And that Jack Daniels bass is an eyesore.

Terry
10-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Put it this way; Mike may well be the best/perfect bassist for Van Halen, inasmuch as I couldn't picture anyone else in there.

But would find it hard to think any musician worth his/her salt would put MA up amongst the "best" bass players of all time, regardless of whatever standards one uses to label someont the "best".

Panamark
10-06-2004, 05:15 AM
Even Van Halen think Mikey sucks..
When was the last time you could hear him
on a recording ??

ThrillsNSpills
10-06-2004, 05:30 AM
When's the last time they let him play on a Van Halen recording? lol

Panamark
10-07-2004, 04:26 AM
I bet they turn him down on the mixer during the show too :)

DrMaddVibe
10-07-2004, 07:46 AM
I'd love to hear Chris Squire play a Van Halen song. John Myung, Ryan Martinie, Doug Wimbish would make Anthony appear like the open E string ringing kiddie that he is.

To say he plays a bass solo is like the fucking gorilla that "speaks" sign language. Sure it can communicate, but how many years did it take for the gorilla to finally "speak" a sentence. Any idiot can jump up and down on a bass guitar and play with a wah pedal. He's nothing special to the Great bassists. He's just a "fit" for Van Halen/Hagar and that's it!

tydhurst
10-07-2004, 10:12 AM
^ Amen buddy!

tydhurst
10-07-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by smaz
And that Jack Daniels bass is an eyesore.

Same can be said for the player!