PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR, what a joke

POJO_Risin
10-06-2004, 04:10 AM
Okay...the guy wins the race...gets all fired up because he won the race...and said what, "I don't give a shit..." on national tv...

So...we have this new "playoff" system...and many people think it's horseshit...I'm not vested enough to give a shit either way...

but...

it seems to me that having someone lose the fucking lead of the fucking Cup because he said "shit" is about as ridiculous as anything I've ever heard of...

could you imagine...

"Lakers lose 2 points and the victory because Shaq called Kobe a prick..."

"Tennessee wins Super Bowl because of Susan Powder Warner calling Dick Vermeil "Dick"...Tennessee given an extra yard...which results in a score..."

Well...just to prove that NASCAR honchos are fucking brain dead...they not only dock him 25 points...bump him from the lead...but fine him 10 grand...

As part of the whole scrubbing-up process NASCAR president Mike Helton told drivers in February to watch their language on radio and television. Less than a month later, he showed he meant it: Johnny Sauter lost 25 points for swearing during a radio interview after a Busch Series race in Las Vegas.

Ron Hornaday Jr. also was fined and lost 25 points for cursing during a live radio interview in June during a Busch race in Dover, Del.

"Helton made it clear ... that we, as a family sport, were taking this very seriously and adhering to FCC guidelines," NASCAR spokesman Mike Zizzo said. "The timing is unfortunate for Dale Jr., but NASCAR also made it clear to the competitors that we would police the last 10 races just like we did the first 26."

So apparently...when the stakes are on the line...you get docked...as if fucking Busch Series sets the precedent for the fucking final 10 races of the NASCAR faggot cup...

You fine the guy...hell, fine him 50 grand...100 grand...

I'm sure he'd take that without a peep to keep those points...

that being said...NASCAR flubbed the fuck up on it...

if he loses the series by anything less than 25 points...NASCAR shoots themselves in the foot...

"I hope they understand that it was in jubilation and I know me and those other guys that got fined let it slip, but it's two different circumstances. I think that when you're happy and joyous about something and it happens, I think it's different than being angry and cursing in anger," Earnhardt said.

"If anybody was offended by the four-letter word I said ... I can't imagine why they would have tuned into the race in the first place."

Earnhardt's an idiot...but he's dead on...

fuck NASCAR...that's why I don't watch the shit...

feel free to dock 25 points for every fucking piece of shit profanity that I fucking used here...;)

conmee
10-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Rulz is Rulz... Pojo...

Look, NASCAR is the biggest crock of shit 'sport' in the world, next to golf... which is a close 2nd....

All the 'tweaking' and changing of car specs and restrictor plates and trying to make/keep things 'fair' is ridiculous... NASCAR is as contrived as pro wrestling...

I say whoever can build the baddest, fastest, lightest, coolest vehicle within the confines of a defined weight/size class, should be able to use whatever tricks/components/hardware necessary and available to win the race. If your crew isn't up to speed on the latest innovations or are a bunch of redneck dumbasses, you deserve to lose if you can't compete, simple as that. And if it's crowd safety and driver safety that's at issue, why the fuck drive around in hundreds of circles at 100+ miles per hour? Once you get into one of those rolling fuel-tank coffins, dying just comes with the territory. And as for crowd safety, fuck 'em! I enjoy seeing a hood or tire ripe off and fly into the stands knocking out the few remaining teeth those 'necks have left in their mouthes, etc... It's like prohibiting football players from benching more than a certain weight during training, and putting ankle weights on players that are faster than the others, etc...

Fuck NASCAR!

lol

Icon.

P.S. Just in a bad mood this morning... lmao

:monkey:

Warham
10-06-2004, 10:35 AM
I just can't get into NASCAR. To me, it's boring running around a track for three hours.

BITEYOASS
10-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Fuck NASCAR! Off-road racing, NHRA and Motocross is the shit!!!!

Va Beach VH Fan
10-06-2004, 08:10 PM
I concur that the actual docking of the 25 points in itself is fucking stupid....

But in this case, I've gotta give NASCAR props, because I was nearly POSITIVE that they'd sweep it under the rug and just fine him....

And why ?? 'Cause he's a fucking Earnhardt, that's why.....

At least there's one person at NASCAR with common sense, who said, if we fined/docked Sauter and Hornaday, we've GOT to fine/dock Junior....

This whole playoff system is stupid as well, especially those who've been having good years... It forces them back into the pack....

This is like telling the Cardinals that they're lead in the NL Central on September 1st is only 5 games instead of 15....

Ridiculous !!!!

DLRDUDE
10-06-2004, 08:30 PM
The playoff system is STUPID! That's all there is to it. Forget the cussing incident, Jr. knew better but it was during a time of jubilation. Oh well it didn't break my heart and I'm glad they did it. The stupid rules they have now are making the races more of a hazard than they were. Try to bunch twenty cars going 180+ mph into single file coming down pit road and there's going to be problems and it cost my boy the race.

POJO_Risin
10-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Oh Va...I'm not saying they should sweep it under the rug...but what I am saying is the playoff IS DIFFERENT...

Earnhardt made a strategic move right before they closed the pits...and got 4 frest tires...

and shredded the field to come out of nowhere and win...

He was pumped...excited...that in this PLAYOFF system...he made a HUGE gamble...and it payed off with a win...and the lead in the new NASCAR PLAYOFF...which is a pretty big deal considering the closeness of the top four cars...

Hornaday and Sauter were both swearing at other drivers...there was no slip involved...

and it was pretty obvious that Earnhardt was just excited to win the damn race...

it is different...

just like you ref games different in the NHL...NFL...and NBA in the playoffs...

you gotta do the same damn thing here...

You nail them harder than the "regular" season...you fine the hell out of them...hit him with 100 grand fine...

I know...I know...you'll follow that with 100 grand means nothing to him...but it does...100 grand is a ton of smack...and most fans would be appeased by it...

I agree that NASCAR had to handle it...but docking points is a joke at this stage...

Steve Savicki
10-07-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by conmee
Look, NASCAR is the biggest crock of shit 'sport' in the world, next to golf... which is a close 2nd....
I didn't know those classified as sports.

badhorsie
10-07-2004, 02:16 PM
*car goes around in a circle for a couple hours*

/falls asleep

Im not sure how anyone can sit around watching cars go around in circles. Sure when something crashes its fun to watch but i rather see the highlights on that on sportcenter.

POJO_Risin
10-07-2004, 11:18 PM
I don't know that anyone in this discussion watches fucking NASCAR...

is that the damn point of this thread?

Mama's Fool
10-08-2004, 02:42 PM
What I don't get is NASCAR will dock points for swearing, which the last I thought was an off the track thing. Yet they won't dock points for all the rules broken during inspections this past weekend at Dega which alters the performance of the car.

horty07
10-08-2004, 02:52 PM
I am no a big JR fan but this is the most fucked up penalty I heard of for just saying the word shit. What does NASCAR expect? They interview a guy live just after he wins a race and he is answering the same stupid questions by 20 different reporters, they should count themselves lucky that is all he said. Whats next Randy Moss gets a TD called back because he says" fuck" on the air from the sidelines? We as fans want to get up close and personal with the athletes and hear what goes on during and after a game, and when we do not like what we hear the athlete gets penalized. Thats fucked.

POJO_Risin
10-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Exactly my point horty...exactly my point...

NASCAR is something...

YankeeRose
10-09-2004, 12:45 AM
It's nice to see that Junior got backhanded just like everyone else. Too many times he is allowed to get away with shit that other drivers are held accountable for. He is considered a hero simply because his name is Earnhardt...what a crock. Maybe now he'll show some manners...

POJO_Risin
10-09-2004, 01:19 AM
That's horseshit, and you know it. Don't get Jr. confused with pops...

Sr. caused far more ruckus than the latter version.

And I thought you knew your NASCAR...if you think Earnhardt Jr. isn't any good...than I was wrong. Especially from a Gordon fan who's had to listen to people nail Gordon for years basing his wins on his teams. Earnhardt Jr. obviously was given some ins that other people don't get...but not any more than his brother Kerry...who sucks...and can't even get a ride in Busch from his Dad's company...

I'm not a Jr. fan by any stretch...and he's as dumb as a fucking board...but he's a good ole' boy...and carries many traits of the old-school drivers...but...he isn't known for rubbing like his dad...hell...like Gordon...he doesn't bitch and moan...and he speaks his mind...

Of course you agree with the ruling...you are a Gordon fan...how could you not...

The thing is...had this happened to Gordon...I'd have posted the same damn thread...saying the same damn thing.

a hero? A HERO? Look...I live in redneck heaven here in Earnhardt country...but A HERO? Of course Sr.'s fans follow Jr....why wouldn't they? He's a good driver...and that's how the old guard fan works...

Christ...I was at the fair last year talking to a redneck about NASCAR...he had a Sr. jacket on...so I asked him who he followed...and this is what he said..."I have to follow Jr....the Earnhardts are like a part of my family..." His brother jumps in and says, "Yeah...tell me about it...I'm stuck rooting for Kyle Petty ever week...it's painful..."

So we got into this philosophical conversation (if that's possible when talking to rednecks about NASCAR...lmfao) about NASCAR ties...and rooting patterns...how most of the original fans follow drivers with old school values that follow blood lines...car-maker lines...or style lines...

blood lines are obvious...and those two said they follow their guys until they are out...then root for the car brand to win...they could care a less about the team piece...

So I talked about not really liking Earnhardt Jr....or Sr. for that matter...

I told him I followed the guys that moved over from what I grew up watching...Indy Cars...guys like Stewart and even Gordon to some extent...and Robbie Gordon (it was even sacreligious at that time)...I didn't necesarily like them...

and they talked about the boom in the sport because of guys like Gordon and Stewart...generally...new fans follow those guys because they don't follow strict NASCAR standards...Stewart is a hard ass in the mold of another Indy guy...AJ Foyt...and most old-guard hate his ass...but they appreciate the fans he brings to the sports...Gordon...they like him because they hate him...

But right now in the sport of NASCAR...two names stand out...transcend the sport...

1. Petty...he's the fucking king...his team sucks...but he's the Babe Ruth of NASCAR...

2. Earnhardt...after he died...his legacy grew 10 fold...and brought a ton of people to racing...and of course...they follow his kid...who just happens to be a good driver...on a good team...

a HERO? If people think any of these fucking RACE CAR DRIVERS are heroes...get a fucking clue...

it's racing for christ sake...

but if you think docking people points for being excited about a race is a good thing...that's horseshit...

how about stopping at the STOP/FINISH line after a win, the week after Jimmie Johnson gets bitchslapped for refusing to touch the sponsor's drink...and says, "Um...I ran out of gas...Um...I wanted to celebrate here because it's my home track and it's for the fans...um..."

bullshit...he did it as a direct slap in the face to NASCAR?

How about 100 other things that happen on the track that truly effect the race...

Great Job NASCAR...great job...idiotic rule...period...

Sarge's Little Helper
10-09-2004, 01:19 AM
That's horseshit, and you know it. Don't get Jr. confused with pops...

Sr. caused far more ruckus than the latter version.

And I thought you knew your NASCAR...if you think Earnhardt Jr. isn't any good...than I was wrong. Especially from a Gordon fan who's had to listen to people nail Gordon for years basing his wins on his teams. Earnhardt Jr. obviously was given some ins that other people don't get...but not any more than his brother Kerry...who sucks...and can't even get a ride in Busch from his Dad's company...

I'm not a Jr. fan by any stretch...and he's as dumb as a fucking board...but he's a good ole' boy...and carries many traits of the old-school drivers...but...he isn't known for rubbing like his dad...hell...like Gordon...he doesn't bitch and moan...and he speaks his mind...

Of course you agree with the ruling...you are a Gordon fan...how could you not...

The thing is...had this happened to Gordon...I'd have posted the same damn thread...saying the same damn thing.

a hero? A HERO? Look...I live in redneck heaven here in Earnhardt country...but A HERO? Of course Sr.'s fans follow Jr....why wouldn't they? He's a good driver...and that's how the old guard fan works...

Christ...I was at the fair last year talking to a redneck about NASCAR...he had a Sr. jacket on...so I asked him who he followed...and this is what he said..."I have to follow Jr....the Earnhardts are like a part of my family..." His brother jumps in and says, "Yeah...tell me about it...I'm stuck rooting for Kyle Petty ever week...it's painful..."

So we got into this philosophical conversation (if that's possible when talking to rednecks about NASCAR...lmfao) about NASCAR ties...and rooting patterns...how most of the original fans follow drivers with old school values that follow blood lines...car-maker lines...or style lines...

blood lines are obvious...and those two said they follow their guys until they are out...then root for the car brand to win...they could care a less about the team piece...

So I talked about not really liking Earnhardt Jr....or Sr. for that matter...

I told him I followed the guys that moved over from what I grew up watching...Indy Cars...guys like Stewart and even Gordon to some extent...and Robbie Gordon (it was even sacreligious at that time)...I didn't necesarily like them...

and they talked about the boom in the sport because of guys like Gordon and Stewart...generally...new fans follow those guys because they don't follow strict NASCAR standards...Stewart is a hard ass in the mold of another Indy guy...AJ Foyt...and most old-guard hate his ass...but they appreciate the fans he brings to the sports...Gordon...they like him because they hate him...

But right now in the sport of NASCAR...two names stand out...transcend the sport...

1. Petty...he's the fucking king...his team sucks...but he's the Babe Ruth of NASCAR...

2. Earnhardt...after he died...his legacy grew 10 fold...and brought a ton of people to racing...and of course...they follow his kid...who just happens to be a good driver...on a good team...

a HERO? If people think any of these fucking RACE CAR DRIVERS are heroes...get a fucking clue...

it's racing for christ sake...

but if you think docking people points for being excited about a race is a good thing...that's horseshit...

how about stopping at the STOP/FINISH line after a win, the week after Jimmie Johnson gets bitchslapped for refusing to touch the sponsor's drink...and says, "Um...I ran out of gas...Um...I wanted to celebrate here because it's my home track and it's for the fans...um..."

bullshit...he did it as a direct slap in the face to NASCAR?

How about 100 other things that happen on the track that truly effect the race...

Great Job NASCAR...great job...idiotic rule...period...

Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.

YankeeRose
10-09-2004, 11:39 PM
If Gordon had done the swearing, I'd still support the ruling. As for the rest of your post...I agree with most of it. In my opinion, none of the drivers are heros, but they are role models. Their words and actions, like it or not, are an influence on young people. If they choose a career in sports, which is traditionally used to encourage children to better themselves, then they need to keep that in mind when speaking publicly.

Yes, Jeff Gordon is my favorite driver, but I'm a race fan more than a driver fan. I think it'd suck to see one person, be it Gordon or someone else, win all the time. I'll pull for Jarrett, Martin, Kenseth, Johnson, Waltrip, Mears...whomever I think is trying the hardest. I've even been known to pull for Punky Stewart...lol. Junior is a good driver, but he's not his daddy, and I'm tired of seeing him get preferential treatment just because of his name. I haven't seen him do anything, in any way, to earn the respect he's given through his dad. His daddy was a talented driver, but he was also a dirty cheater...many people seem to overlook or forget that. Without a doubt, there are certain tracks where most other drivers will do anything they can to help Jr win, whether his car is the best or not. It's like his winning, at any cost, is more important than the best man/car/team winning.

POJO_Risin
10-10-2004, 06:52 PM
His dad was a hard driver...and he'd put you in the wall to win a race...

it wasn't an Earnhardt rule of thumb to do that...it was a NASCAR rule of thumb to do that...

Win at all costs..that's what REAL NASCAR is all about...you should know that better than I do...and that's why Earnhardt was worshipped...

Beyond that though...he was a fantastic driver..."talented" as you say...so if you call him a cheater...then you'd have to call Petty and Pearson and Allison the same...because they did the same shit...from the start...

As far as letting Jr. win...well...I can think of 1 occasion in which it was blatent....and Daytona a couple of years back...when it was painfully apparent that Jr. winning where his Daddy died was a huge deal for everyone at the track...

other than that...I can't fucking fathom anyone wanting a DEI car to win...Jr. is a clean driver...he rarely even rubs to get in the lead...and he's gained respect in restrictor plate races because he knows how to win them...and always has. You can't PENALIZE a guy because his name is Earnhardt...which is what you are doing. The kid got his ride because of his name...and got his NASCAR spot because of his name...but based on his Busch performance...he sure as shit would have gotten a NASCAR ride period...

Now you could make the case that he had the best from the start...but didn't guys like Gordon?...and Stewart?...and Kahne?...and hell...anyone who's made a name for themselves....

And there is a doubt about what you say...helping Jr. win at certain tracks...because most of the others...Hendricks included...especially...want people to shut the hell up about the DEI DOMINANCE at restrictor track races...and superspeedways...

But there's no way he should have been docked points for being EXCITED ABOUT WINNING...

it would have been vastly different if he said, "I won...so that piece of shit Gordon can goto hell..."

or...

"I'm going to put that piece of shit Gordon into the wall next week...."

You catch a guy in the spur of the moment...5 minutes after he's won a race he had no business winning...you take what you get.

NASCAR flubbed it...plain and simple...

And if it would have happened to Gordon...I would just as vehmently calling the people in charge of NASCAR...freakin' jokes...because that's what they are...and this season has proved that...

horty07
10-11-2004, 08:21 PM
The thing is he only said shit. The Simpsons, Family guy and WWE use stronger language than this. If they wanted to make a point they should have fined him and left it at that, now who ever wins their win will be tainted.

YankeeRose
10-12-2004, 10:07 PM
The point is, right or wrong, he knew the consequences from the start. All he had to do was control himself. I'm not saying that I agree with revoking 25 ptds from him...it's not fair to penalize the team because of his mistake. However, he is the chosen representative of the team..and he should realize that his selfish actions do have an effect on them. Personally, I think, in the future, they should raise the monetary fine to an amount that gets their attention and let them keep the points.

BrownSound1
10-17-2004, 02:04 AM
I hate NASCAR. To me it is just a step above Wrasslin' as far as being a legitimate sport. Same fanbase though. Mind you I like drag racing, and Indy car racing...but the whole group of fans for NASCAR just scare the hell out of me. I went to a race at Talladega many years ago, and I saw every type of redneck that exists. The only cool thing was the chicks that would show their tits for beer.

Va Beach VH Fan
10-17-2004, 08:50 AM
Have to admit, can't say a word about their fan base, pretty amazing cramming 160,000 fans into those tracks....

How many NFL teams could honestly pull that many fans into stadiums if there were to hold that many seats ??

I'd say not many....

I would also predict that some NASCAR fans would point to NFL fans as being just as fanatical....

POJO_Risin
10-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Fanatical yes...

Toothless...well...maybe...but more than likely from a fight...and not from not having EVER brushed their teeth...lmfao...

YANK...

I'm sorry...but the day that an athlete has to CALM DOWN seconds after winning something (in particular putting you back in the lead of the sports championship) is the day I'll stop watching sports...

Yeah...he swore...but there wasn't one damn person on the planet that didn't understand it...

Any FAMILY that would allow children to watch racing with the wrecks and shit...shouldn't be offended by "shit"...

He shouldn't have been fined...he shouldn't have been docked points...

YankeeRose
10-18-2004, 11:31 PM
All he had to do was control his language...you would think that at his age it would be a simple request...one he could easily comply with. Unfortunately he was unable to do so. Should his entire team be penalized for his mistake..In my opinion, no. However, right or wrong, he knew the penalities and he chose to disregard them. Until now, the biggest complaint against NASCAR has been their failure to be consistent in enforcing their rules. Finally, they are consistent, and still they are under the same fire as when they decide on the fly. If it had been any other driver, would anyone really care about this?

redblkwht
10-19-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Brownsound1
The only cool thing was the chicks that would show their tits for beer. the jug-man speakith..B, your a riot!!

the shit word? gimmeafookinbreak-

ZahZoo
10-21-2004, 01:48 PM
In no other competative/sporting event are points taken away after the game/event has ended. To me that's just flat out fucking wrong.

Sure a $10,000 fine is nothing to these drivers that make millions per year, but a $250,000 fine would send plenty of message. Only time points should be taken away if for an equipment violation that effects results on the race track or blatent behavior on the track.

Love or hate NASCAR it is the one of the biggest sports operations in the world. They put more butts in seats and viewers on the tube than any other event week to week throughout 10 months of the year. To some racing is a bore like baseball... others like me get more into the strategies, technical aspects, etc so it's more than just men going in circles for 3 hours...