PDA

View Full Version : The New York Yankees vs. The Boston Red Sox

Fairwrning
10-10-2004, 10:50 AM
Here we go AGAIN:rolleyes:
Gee..i wonder who will win this series..does anybody REALLY wanna see the Yanks in the series again??Kinda takes the fun out of it..unless, of course, the Cards beat their asses in the world series;)
Maybe the Sox can win a game or 2..but i don't think this goes more than 6 games

Bob_R
10-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by fairwrning
Here we go AGAIN:rolleyes:
Gee..i wonder who will win this series..does anybody REALLY wanna see the Yanks in the series again??Kinda takes the fun out of it.

To answer your questions:

Yes, millions of people want to see the Yanks in the Series AGAIN. LOL!

Only takes the fun out of it for jealous Yankee fans!

redblkwht
10-11-2004, 01:02 AM
I dunno i see a change in the guard this year..
Redsox have the sweep & pitching.
Schilling factor too..lol

DlocRoth
10-11-2004, 10:19 AM
The Sox will pound the Yankees pitching all day.

distortion9
10-11-2004, 10:31 AM
Red Sox have been trying to beat the Yanks for EIGHTY SIX YEARS!...Not gonna happen.

It'll go 7 , then Bubba Crosby will hit a walk off grand slam....c-ya next year.

Figs
10-11-2004, 10:44 AM
The country wants a Yankees-Braves WS, no doubt!

I agree with distortion9, Yanks in 7, win with a wild pitch or an errant throw to first, then the baaah-ston fans & press run somebody else out of town.

Even if baaah-ston wins, they gotta lose the series. The "streak" is great, I'd like to see it go 100 years; nice round number.

light 'em up!
10-11-2004, 10:46 AM
A Cardinals-Yankees World Series will be good for baseball, but it might not not be so good for the Yankees.

Carmine Raguzza
10-11-2004, 10:53 AM
I for one would like to see a Yanks/ Astros series. Being a Yankee fan, I wonder if the Bronx Faithful would cheer for Clemens or throw batteries at him!

distortion9
10-11-2004, 11:12 AM
This is how tailgating looked the last time the Sawx won it all
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/ap/a/a000074.jpg

distortion9
10-11-2004, 11:14 AM
Off to see te Sawx win it all...http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilhamilt/images/photos/ham0007.jpg

Figs
10-11-2004, 11:17 AM
You are Ruth-less, distortion9.

Carmine Raguzza
10-11-2004, 11:23 AM
ROTF, those pics are great!

distortion9
10-11-2004, 11:29 AM
THE SAWX WIN....PARTY TIME!!
http://www.redhotjazz.com/durante2.jpg

Carmine Raguzza
10-11-2004, 11:31 AM
hey Dis...who is the chick in your avatar? whoa my....

distortion9
10-11-2004, 11:35 AM
World Champion Red Sox team plane...

http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/t_images/oldcart.jpg

distortion9
10-11-2004, 11:36 AM
The pilot and co-pilot...
http://www.truxton.com/~trux/photos/t07.gif

distortion9
10-11-2004, 11:38 AM
Carmen Electra...maing.

....she's purdy aint she.

Bob_R
10-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by light 'em up!
A Cardinals-Yankees World Series will be good for baseball, but it might not not be so good for the Yankees.

What about Fat Albert? :) :D ;) :p

Carmine Raguzza
10-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by distortion9
Carmen Electra...maing.

....she's purdy aint she.

yes she is! yowza!

Figs
10-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Sox are favored...

http://covers.usatoday.com/data/mlb/game/g4_main_1.aspx

Carmine Raguzza
10-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Figs
Sox are favored...

http://covers.usatoday.com/data/mlb/game/g4_main_1.aspx

The bookies say those odds were heavily influenced by the early morning uncertaintity of Mariano Rivera--- not that I would know!

redblkwht
10-12-2004, 12:31 AM
The country wants a Yankees-Braves WS, no doubt!
Its official, the Braves are out bro..LOL

distortion9
10-12-2004, 11:37 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyshirts124004036oct12,0,7371244.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

MLB recalls 'Daddy' souvenir T-shirts

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

October 12, 2004

BOSTON - Yankees fans will need more than a T-shirt to taunt the Red Sox.

A day before Boston and New York started the AL Championship Series, Major League Baseball recalled a T-shirt it had sanctioned because it rubbed Red Sox fans the wrong way.

The message on the shirt that drew the negative reaction read: "Hey Red Sox ... Who's your daddy?" The shirt bears both a Yankees logo and a picture of a red pacifier with the letter "B" on it - a reference to remarks Red Sox ace Pedro Martinez made after a recent loss to Boston's longtime rivals.

"I call the Yankees my daddies. I can't find a way to beat them at this point," Martinez said.

MLB began offering the shirt for wholesale distribution to licensed retailers over the weekend and promoted it on a Web site, spokesman Carmine Tiso said. Yesterday, the few thousand shirts that were made were recalled from retailers, and the shirt was removed from the Web site.

"We did hear some feedback from the Boston fans, who didn't necessarily feel they were comfortable with the T-shirt and the message on it," Tiso said. "Some fans felt it went a little too far." Although most MLB-sanctioned apparel promotes individual teams without denouncing their rivals, there have been some items that touched on baseball's biggest rivalries.

Fucking crybabies...

fanofdave
10-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Red Sox will be in the world series.
Take it to the bank.
Yankees have no pitching.
Red Sox batters are as hot as
those damn yankee schmucks.

distortion9
10-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by fanofdave
Red Sox will be in the world series.
Take it to the bank.
Yankees have no pitching.
Red Sox batters are as hot as
those damn yankee schmucks.

lol...they managed to win 101 games with "no pitching".

How?

Cause the Yanks put up big numbers late in games...61 come backs.

You guys better hope Schilling and Pedro can go 9.

Figs
10-12-2004, 01:59 PM
``I'm not sure I can think of any scenario more enjoyable than making 55,000 people from New York shut up,'' Curt Schilling said Monday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-alcs-pitchers&prov=ap&type=lgns

wraytw
10-12-2004, 02:31 PM
``I'm not sure I can think of any scenario more enjoyable than making 55,000 people from New York shut up,'' Curt Schilling said Monday.

Actually, he can. Getting fucked in the ass by Peeeeeeeeeeeeedroooooooo Martinez.

Figs
10-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Schilling gets hammered. Couldn't happen to a bigger loudmouth. Hopefully Moose & the pen can hold a six run lead...

Figs
10-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Jesus Christ, Rivera NEVER gets a break! Can't even depend on Flash Gordon. Sturtze is a shitty pitcher who had a couple of good outings recently. Hey, any way you slice it I'll take a win in a Schilling started game any way it comes. Probably a split at home; not to confident in Lieber.

wraytw
10-13-2004, 12:08 AM
Probably a split at home; not to confident in Lieber.

Yeah, but who is Pedro's daddy? :D

Carmine Raguzza
10-13-2004, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Figs
[B]``I'm not sure I can think of any scenario more enjoyable than making 55,000 people from New York shut up,'' Curt Schilling said Monday.

...and there was nothing more enjoyable than watching 1 person be made to shut up by the Yankees! Take that toehead! yankees in 5!

light 'em up!
10-13-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
What about Fat Albert? :) :D ;) :p

Hey EVH Fanatic! It will be good for fat albert! Quite good.

distortion9
10-13-2004, 04:17 PM
Think the Yanks have a better than good chance at beating Pedro tonight.

If that happens...this shit is over.

Carmine Raguzza
10-13-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by distortion9
Think the Yanks have a better than good chance at beating Pedro tonight.

If that happens...this shit is over.

WHOS YOUR DADDY!!!!

Big Train
10-13-2004, 11:41 PM
I'll try not to get started, especially with you Mr. Raguzza, but I love my Sox. They keep on fighting the good fight...but no they probably will come up short after last night and tonight. Unless they get pissed and put up more of a fight.

distortion9
10-13-2004, 11:56 PM
Here's the problem with the Sox.....ZERO DISCIPLINE.

It's not a curse..

It's not the Bambino..

Discipline.

Tell those dirtbags to take a bath, shave, get a friggin haircut and wash their fucking clothes.....what a bunch of slobs, have some pride for crying out loud.

Johnny Damon looks like the guy that cuts my fucking lawn.

Lou
10-14-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza
WHOS YOUR DADDY!!!!

Yeah really.

I had a feeling the Yankees were going to do this. Reason being, it was just too goofy. Everyone was expecting the Red Sox to pull an "upset," in effect really making the Red Sox the favorites and the Yankees the underdogs. It looked too easy with Schilling and Martinez, so it doesn't surprise me that the opposite happens. Recent examples of this happening is Denver beating Green Bay in SB XXXII, the Eagles losing to Tampa and Carolina in the NFC championship, Detroit beating the Lakers this year, Patriots beating the Rams in SB XXXVI.

I still think the Red Sox can come back but boy are they in a shitty position right now.

wraytw
10-14-2004, 02:03 AM
"Yes. It is true. It brings me great shame to admit it, but the Yankees are my Daddy. I never knew until recently because my father left my mother before I was born.

"The Dodgers, of course, are my mother, and I loved her as I love life itself. She was the most beautiful woman in the world; and when I close my eyes now, I can still see her dressed in the purest whites and deepest blues you have ever seen. She sacrificed everything to raise me and my older brother, Ramon. She worked in the fields until her hands were raw and her back ached, and yet she always found time in the early evening to teach Ramon and I how to throw a beanball.

"One day when I was six and Ramon was nearly 10, we asked our mother about our father -- who he was and where he lived and when he would come home to teach us how to throw sliders. She only told us that our father was a very bad man, and then began weeping. She walked into her room, closed the door and stayed inside for three days. She ate nothing and drank only the tears that ran down her cheeks. We could hear her sobs even when we turned up 'Welcome Back Kotter' very loud; and when she finally emerged from the room, she said that we were never to ask her any questions about our father again. I tell you, these were the saddest moments of my life until Grady Little left me in too long in Game 7.

"Looking back now, I suppose there were clues to my father's identity I should have recognized if only I had opened my eyes wide enough to examine them closely. But so much of life is a deception, is it not? Even now, many Red Sox fans think we are going to win the World Series.

"I once caught my mother opening a worn shoebox and pulling out faded black and white photos of her when she was a girl in Brooklyn. Then she looked at a photograph of her as a young woman smiling with a man in pinstripes. When she looked at it, she made a strange sound and I could not tell whether she was laughing or crying -- it was similar to the sound Red Sox fans make at the beginning of each October. I asked who the man in the picture was, and she quickly put the photos away. She said only that he was a rich man she once knew in New York, and that I should not sneak up on her anymore and should instead go outside and practice knocking down 72-year-old men with Ramon.

"My mother also had a beautiful ring she kept protected under the mattress. Ramon and I never were allowed to look at it closely, but she would occasionally take it out to slip on her finger. We could see that it was gold with a ruby in the middle and small diamonds surrounding it and some sort of inscription. We asked why she didn't sell it in the market so that we could move into a better neighborhood with cable TV, and she said it was all she had left from our father and that she would never sell it. I understand now that it is a World Series ring, though of course, I have never seen such a thing up close.

"My mother died just before I reached the majors, and I was always sad that she never got a chance to see me pitch. But worse was the longing I felt for my father. Whenever I would see Ken Griffey Jr. or Barry Bonds or Aaron Boone, I would feel such jealousy. Why did they have fathers in the game, and I did not even know who mine was? And why did they always hit so many home runs in extra innings? I would be so envious that I wanted to hit them all in the head with my pitches. And I usually did.

"And then I visited my old, beloved aunt, the Expos, in Montreal this summer. She said that she would be moving soon, she did not know where, and that I should know the truth about my father in case she never saw me again. She said that the Yankees were my Daddy and that though they were dishonorable and had treated my mother very badly by not marrying her and never once paying child support, I must seek them out and resolve our relationship, though perhaps I should have my agent phone first.

"It was painful to learn, but at least now I know the truth. The Yankees are my Daddy and I look forward to reuniting soon and getting to know him as a son should know his father, perhaps beginning next season if he will offer me a four-year, $60 million contract. Perhaps he will even take me to the World Series.

"But the truth about my father is not the most amazing thing I learned. No, the strangest part is what else I discovered.

"Don Zimmer is my crazy uncle."

--Pedro Martinez

POJO_Risin
10-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Schilling WILL pitch again...and I'm betting...if it's 3-1...in game 5...

or 2-2...in game 6 or 7...

Igosplut
10-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Naw Poj, I think Shilling is done. And that doesn,t bode well with the Sox. Even if the Sox get past the Yanks (or Vise-vers) neither of the two highest payroll teams are going to win the world series....

And even being a Sox fan, I think its cool that the underdogs (payroll-wise) come out on top. Teamwork and heart defeats money.........

POJO_Risin
10-16-2004, 09:04 PM
No...Schilling will pitch again...if they can make it past Sunday...

just tied the game anyways...they need to get through the night...

I still think Schilling can pitch on Monday...we'll see though...

they are being pretty coy about it...

did you see his interview tonight?

He said the only thing he knows for sure is he won't be out there on Saturday or Sunday...

and he won't talk past that...threw 60 pitches last night...with a new shoe...

distortion9
10-16-2004, 11:34 PM
17-6....lmao.

distortion9
10-17-2004, 12:34 AM
19-8...ouch

tobinentinc
10-17-2004, 12:51 AM
Yankees in 4, then they are winning the world series!

Igosplut
10-17-2004, 07:25 AM
Just like Boston isnt winning the series, The Yankees arent winning any more than this series......

Va Beach VH Fan
10-17-2004, 09:10 AM
Christ, here we go again....

I'm sorry fellas, I feel the urge to get back on my soapbox again.... ;)

Why is this newsworthy ??

Why is this seemingly so "dramatic" ??

Why does MLB and the press think that people outside of the four remaining teams REALLY care about this ??

Year after year after year, this system encourages the richest owners to outbid the also-rans when the best players become available...

So why is SO surprising that every year the teams with payrolls at or near 100 million dollars (WAY over in the Yankees case) are competing for the crown ??

NOTE TO POJ: I STATE AGAIN FOR THE RECORD, I'M NOT BLAMING THE NEW YORK YANKEES FOR SPENDING THEIR MONEY.... ;)

Yeah sure, there are exceptions to every rule... There are the Twins and Marlins of the world....

But why did the Marlins win the crown last year ?? Because they (at the time) overspent to get Pudge, and they have a couple of good starters.....

Now he's gone, the pitchers were hurt, and the Marlins didn't even make the playoffs...

And don't tell me that those pitchers will resign with the Marlins when their contracts are up.... Guess where they'll end up ??

Matter of fact, those in the P-Burgh press are already joking that Oliver Perez has had his Yankee jersey tailored for him when he's a Free Agent after the '06 season....

Think Zito, Mulder, and Hudson will re-up with the A's ??

Think Ben Sheets will re-up with the Brewers ??

'Cause you know they're not, and that's sad....

THAT's what sucks about baseball now....

So I say ho-hum, the Yankees are once again getting ready to make it to another World Series....

POJO_Risin
10-17-2004, 09:38 AM
They didn't overpay for Pudge...they paid him market value...for a year...because everyone thought he was washed up...or close to it...

trust me...nobody thought that he would do what he did last year...or this year for that matter...

No...nobody things that those guys will reup...one of the three of those pitchers will reup with Oakland...

WHO WOULD WANT TO SIGN WITH PITTSBURGH?...a crap manager...and a team that's mired in money issues because of one shitty contract. This is his arbitration year...so it's possible he'll be a Pirate for much longer than 2006...we'll see though....If he goes to arbitration...he could command some bigtime money...

Pudge not being there hurt...but not nearly as much as Beckett and Burnett being on the shelf...Redman gone (not that he would have helped)...the injuries are what killed them...

Sheets...who cares where in the hell he ends up...and like Pittsburgh...who wants to play in Milwaukee?

Who cares about the money anyways? Leave it to you Va to throw out the money issue when it's not on the table...

It's an expectation...period...nobody's surprised by it...the fun is watching teams that don't make as much money beat them...

I think Houston has a chance because of pitching...and St. Louis has better sticks than the Yanks (and don't go with the so does Boston...they just don't)....

So it will be fun to watch...either way...

If the Yanks win...then I'll get on my soap box about baseball...until then...who cares...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Have you started sniffing glue again ???

Who cares about the money ?? The money issue isn't on the table ??? Are you fucking serious ??

It's ALL about the money, how in the hell can you say it isn't ???....

And just in case you're still buzzing from that last sniff, you're actually concurring with my assessment by saying that no one wants to sign in Pittsburgh or Milwaukee....

Not because they're bad cities to play in, but because THEY CAN'T AFFORD to pay the prices that the richer teams easily can pay them.... They can't even get in the free agent market until the very end, when the Kenny Lofton's and Reggie Sanders and Jose Mesa's of the world become available for bargain basement prices....

Sure, Kendall's contract is bloated FOR PITTSBURGH, but if he played for the Yankees or the Dodgers (who he's rumored to be headed ((again)) this offseason), his contract wouldn't nearly be such an issue.... And actually, if the Pirates had a payroll like those teams, it would be no big deal....

If the money issue isn't on the table, then when Carlos Beltran is a free agent after the World Series, why is it that the guy practically has his locker ready in Yankee Stadium....

You're a fan of a small-market team, you can't honestly tell me that you're not tired of the economics of baseball....

I love baseball as much or more than the next guy, but pre-fabricated matchup, nearly entirely matched up via their payrolls, does nothing but hurt the game....

lucky wilbury
10-17-2004, 01:26 PM
i didn't know they televised batting practice

POJO_Risin
10-17-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Have you started sniffing glue again ???

Who cares about the money ?? The money issue isn't on the table ??? Are you fucking serious ??

It's ALL about the money, how in the hell can you say it isn't ???....

And just in case you're still buzzing from that last sniff, you're actually concurring with my assessment by saying that no one wants to sign in Pittsburgh or Milwaukee....

Not because they're bad cities to play in, but because THEY CAN'T AFFORD to pay the prices that the richer teams easily can pay them.... They can't even get in the free agent market until the very end, when the Kenny Lofton's and Reggie Sanders and Jose Mesa's of the world become available for bargain basement prices....

Sure, Kendall's contract is bloated FOR PITTSBURGH, but if he played for the Yankees or the Dodgers (who he's rumored to be headed ((again)) this offseason), his contract wouldn't nearly be such an issue.... And actually, if the Pirates had a payroll like those teams, it would be no big deal....

If the money issue isn't on the table, then when Carlos Beltran is a free agent after the World Series, why is it that the guy practically has his locker ready in Yankee Stadium....

You're a fan of a small-market team, you can't honestly tell me that you're not tired of the economics of baseball....

I love baseball as much or more than the next guy, but pre-fabricated matchup, nearly entirely matched up via their payrolls, does nothing but hurt the game....

Hey jackass...the only people money is an issue for...is for the people that bring it up...period...

it's a fact of the game...and it isn't going to change...so fucking move on already...

I was saying money isn't an issue in this damn thread...well...not until you brought it up...

accept it...move on...

The Yankees will be good every year because they can...do you really think that baseball minds that fact?

NO...

I don't either...I don't expect the Indians to be a factor every year...as long as they can rebuild...sell out...and afford some of the bigger players...which is what they did...

sure...at the end of it...when the fans started to go shopping instead of going to the game...they lost Manny...and Thome...and Belle (whom I'm pretty sure they wanted to let go anyways...)...

I'm not tired of the economics of baseball...BECAUSE THAT'S THE WAY IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN...FROM THE START OF TIME!

Either you just woke up from a damn Coma and realized this...or you are like one of those 90 year olds that is so damn rooted in your thinking that you can't let it go...

Every year the big market teams get in...OR...a team who gambles and pays out the ass to get their once...as well as teams that can't pay as much....there's always a mix...

Or a team like St. Louis...who is in a mid market...but has a following that allows the team to be in the mid to upper echelon of baseball's pay scale every year....

So yeah Va...you are turning this into your same old tired conversation about money...if you don't like it...don't watch...don't worry...don't buy the Extra Innings package...don't talk in threads like this...don't worry about your sorry mismanaged Pirates...

Remember when you were so idiotically talking about 30 year cycles in the OSU thread? Well...your moronic Buccos COULD be a cyclical contender...of course...they aren't. Why? Idiotic management. They don't want to lock anyone into a long term deal BECAUSE OF THE Kendall deal...and bro...there isn't a big market team in the world that would have paid 42 million dollars for "slappy" Kendall...they outbid themselves...

Milwaukee? See Bud Selig...and you can see the mismanagement there...

The Expos for years won by developing young talent...contending...losing them in a trade...but gaining back the necesary youth to remain good...

The Tribe did it for 7 years...sucked for awhile...accumulated a deep system again...and have rebuilt for a run...

Florida didn't make the playoffs...but had a good team this year...and didn't make it...why? Injuries...and they'll have good players for years to come because of their location in Florida...people want to play there...and they have decent upper management...now...anyways...

Minnesota has done it for 15 years...with some shitty years in between...

They won't have a salary cap...because the players won't ever let it happen...and go figure...an employee trying to take full advantage of an employer...who just let it happen...

Complain all you want...it's the system that has always been there...and probably will always be...

and truth be told...it will always work...for most teams...

You can say I'm sniffing all the glue in the world...but fact of the matter is you can either bitch about fucking money all you want...and stop watching...and putting that money into the owners pockets...

or just shut the fuck up about it...and watch the games....

POJO_Risin
10-17-2004, 02:29 PM
And yeah...I'm pissed every year by the Indians getting out moneyed by the Chicago's and the Phillies and the Red Sox of this world...

but...because of good ownership and management...

they were able to put up comparable offers to all three...Belle, Thome and Ramirez...something most small market teams CAN'T do because they have no fucking clue what they are doing...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-17-2004, 08:15 PM
Jackass ?? Shut the fuck up about it ?? You know me better than that....

So now I'm supposed to not say a word about it, because "that's the way it's always been", is that how it works ???

That dog ain't huntin', my friend....

I'll be the very first one to agree 100% that the Pirates have mismanaged their major league team, minor league system, free agency, trades, and just about every other facet of their organization....

And you know I agree because of my dozens of other rants about the moves they've made over the years....

But this is not just about Pittsburgh....

This is pretty much about half of the teams of Major League Baseball, who woke up the day after the regular season ended for them a couple of weeks ago, and knew that they had no chance of winning the World Series NEXT year.....

Forget about money, I won't mention it since you scolded me like one of your 5th graders and told me that I can't mention it, but how can that be a good thing ??

How can it be a good thing for those teams' who want to fill those seats every night ??

And let's take it a step further....

Forget the players, they're getting paid win or lose, so fuck them....

So if you're telling me to shut the fuck up and accept it, then I take it that the millions of fans of those dozen or so teams should shut the fuck up also ???

So yeah, I'm hypocritical for hating the system but still buying the Extra Innings package (touche' on your part), but that's more for my lifelong love of baseball, combined with the fact that I have the resources to continue to pay for it...

Doesn't mean I have to like the results of it....

Jackass.... ;)

POJO_Risin
10-19-2004, 02:31 AM
Alright...you see...there's the real issue right there...

if a team wakes up after the season's over...saying they can't win next year...that's the real issue...

look at the Tribe compared to the Buccos...since those are the two teams that we are most familiar with...

both with state of the art facilities...

both with good youth...

Cleveland...from the start...has said...we'll win under these conditions...

it started with Hart and Jacobs in the early 90's...signing teams to multi-year deals...moved to success...two Series appearances in the 90's...then the age old problem of age...catching up with them...Hart had dismantled the farm system...and moved on...

what did Cleveland do?

With new ownership...they spent 1 year...reacquiring solid prospects...1 year...reupped it the 2nd year...and started to move this year...

Now...they are already being talked about as a playoff contender next year...which means...players will want to go there...it started with Boone...yeah...he'll probably never suit up for the Indians...but he got more lucrative offers from a couple of other clubs...wanted to play in Cleveland because he see's they are going to win...

Yeah...Cleveland will face losing some of their names soon...but they can and will have a five year run of success...maybe not the playoffs every year...but a chance at it...and that's all I give a shit about...

and bro...Cleveland was the dregs of baseball for what...40 years?

Pittsburgh...state of the art facility...good young talent...and have sucked ass for what...14 years now?

Why? Money crunch? Maybe...their ownership group obviously doesn't have as much money as Clevelands...but...that's major league baseball's fault for okaying that idiotic deal way back when...it's still the group that McClatchy fronted...isn't it? I don't think McClatchy's still the guy there...but you get my point...

When do the Pirates say...we can win? When do the Pirates hire a manager that the players think can win? When do the Pirates sign some of these kids to multi year deals...like Cleveland continually does...signalling to the fans...they're going to be here for awhile...I'm not talking Kendall...or Giles...I'm talking about the kids...the Bays of this world...the Perez' of this world...imagine signing Perez AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR...instead of now...

Yeah...it's a gamble...but it sends signals to the fans...it sends signals to other players...it sends signals to everyone that the Pirates aren't playing around...

You know...Cleveland did it in 1994...signed about 15 guys under the age of 27 to long term contracts...nearly half hit pay dirt...Lofton...Thome...Belle...Nagy...Baerga and Alomar...the other guys disappeared...but I guarantee you...that move alone allowed Cleveland to be competative in the free agent market...not for money...but for players who wanted to win...they got Martinez after that...Hershiser...Murray...three guys past their prime...but still competative...both Hershiser and Martinez gave the Indians 15 game winners 2 years running...and Murray a dependable bat...and a guy that could lead the young guys...Thome and Belle in particular....

Pittsburgh could have done that this year...with all their young guys...instead...they chose not too...they chose to do what they always do...nothing...and now...they'll lose these kids...Bay at the beginning of the year? No brainer...could have signed him to a 4 year...20 million dollar deal...with an option...same with Perez...yeah...you lose money up front...but save more down the road...

You gotta send that message to be a competative team...AND EVERYONE COULD DO IT...but choose to whine and bemoan the system for letting them down...

It's a dog it dog world my friend...and most teams are wearing milk bone underwear...

Sarge's Little Helper
10-19-2004, 02:31 AM
Alright...you see...there's the real issue right there...

if a team wakes up after the season's over...saying they can't win next year...that's the real issue...

look at the Tribe compared to the Buccos...since those are the two teams that we are most familiar with...

both with state of the art facilities...

both with good youth...

Cleveland...from the start...has said...we'll win under these conditions...

it started with Hart and Jacobs in the early 90's...signing teams to multi-year deals...moved to success...two Series appearances in the 90's...then the age old problem of age...catching up with them...Hart had dismantled the farm system...and moved on...

what did Cleveland do?

With new ownership...they spent 1 year...reacquiring solid prospects...1 year...reupped it the 2nd year...and started to move this year...

Now...they are already being talked about as a playoff contender next year...which means...players will want to go there...it started with Boone...yeah...he'll probably never suit up for the Indians...but he got more lucrative offers from a couple of other clubs...wanted to play in Cleveland because he see's they are going to win...

Yeah...Cleveland will face losing some of their names soon...but they can and will have a five year run of success...maybe not the playoffs every year...but a chance at it...and that's all I give a shit about...

and bro...Cleveland was the dregs of baseball for what...40 years?

Pittsburgh...state of the art facility...good young talent...and have sucked ass for what...14 years now?

Why? Money crunch? Maybe...their ownership group obviously doesn't have as much money as Clevelands...but...that's major league baseball's fault for okaying that idiotic deal way back when...it's still the group that McClatchy fronted...isn't it? I don't think McClatchy's still the guy there...but you get my point...

When do the Pirates say...we can win? When do the Pirates hire a manager that the players think can win? When do the Pirates sign some of these kids to multi year deals...like Cleveland continually does...signalling to the fans...they're going to be here for awhile...I'm not talking Kendall...or Giles...I'm talking about the kids...the Bays of this world...the Perez' of this world...imagine signing Perez AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR...instead of now...

Yeah...it's a gamble...but it sends signals to the fans...it sends signals to other players...it sends signals to everyone that the Pirates aren't playing around...

You know...Cleveland did it in 1994...signed about 15 guys under the age of 27 to long term contracts...nearly half hit pay dirt...Lofton...Thome...Belle...Nagy...Baerga and Alomar...the other guys disappeared...but I guarantee you...that move alone allowed Cleveland to be competative in the free agent market...not for money...but for players who wanted to win...they got Martinez after that...Hershiser...Murray...three guys past their prime...but still competative...both Hershiser and Martinez gave the Indians 15 game winners 2 years running...and Murray a dependable bat...and a guy that could lead the young guys...Thome and Belle in particular....

Pittsburgh could have done that this year...with all their young guys...instead...they chose not too...they chose to do what they always do...nothing...and now...they'll lose these kids...Bay at the beginning of the year? No brainer...could have signed him to a 4 year...20 million dollar deal...with an option...same with Perez...yeah...you lose money up front...but save more down the road...

You gotta send that message to be a competative team...AND EVERYONE COULD DO IT...but choose to whine and bemoan the system for letting them down...

It's a dog it dog world my friend...and most teams are wearing milk bone underwear...

Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.