PDA

View Full Version : Which is more unbearable?

fe_lung
10-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Ok, which is the bigger travesty:

A "bass solo" by Mike Anthony

or

A "drum solo" from AVH

I know, it's a lesser of two evils question, but it just kills me that these two feel the need to inflict their instrumental masturbation on every audience, every night, every tour.

Big Troubles
10-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Id rather listen to Alex I believe. Although Al's drum solos were a bit LOOOOOOOOOOONG at times.

In fact Id rather listen to a high priced hooker take a runny shit. :D

JCOOK
10-12-2004, 07:07 PM
Id' have to go with Al also Mikey should stick to what he does best-- whatever that is.

DLR_EngineRoom
10-12-2004, 07:09 PM
A young musician friend of mine who never saw the band before told me that the whole band sucked and that Eddie couldn't even play his own stuff from the Dave era...keep in mind that this guy came to the concert completely open-minded.

Big Troubles
10-12-2004, 07:11 PM
LOL All I needed was a recent photo of the band when I heard about there reunion and I could tell Id hate anything Id hear from them. ;)

Big Troubles
10-12-2004, 07:13 PM
like seriously here....

Big Troubles
10-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Like what the FUCK happen to this guy? LMAO Jesus. Guitar hero sure... A smidgen sexier than a big steaming pile of shit and vomit? No. ;)

fe_lung
10-12-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
like seriously here....

Maaaan, Jack White looks terrible! Even for him!

fe_lung
10-12-2004, 07:16 PM
I wonder if Mike just assumes everyone is as drunk as he is.....l

Cathedral
10-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Solo's died along with arena rock in the late 80's. Tell me again who Edward says is stuck in the past?

We didn't call them solo's when we were playing out regularly, we called it "Grandstanding" an exercise in "Showing Off"....

However, some us changed without calling it evolution, and managed not to alienate our fans in the process.

Hell, at least we retired on top of our game, Edward is on a mission to destroy his own legacy.

fe_lung
10-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Hear hear!!!! Couldn't have put it better myself

Big Troubles
10-12-2004, 07:26 PM
Shit, I am in the past. I assumed they were still called solos too. :D lol

Terry
10-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Would have to say the drum solo is the lesser travesty, as unaccompanied drum and guitar solos have been part and parcel of the live rock concert experience.

But they're only effective if they are short. Anything beyond 3 minutes for a drum solo is a waste. A musician once said it was useful in that the other members of the band got to take a break. Well, boo-fucking-hoo! Take a break on your own fucking dime, not mine. If you cut out the drum and bass solos, Van Hagar could have played two more songs (might not be the best example, as I'd almost prefer a Mike Anthony bass solo over a Van Hagar song, but you get my drift).

JCOOK
10-12-2004, 10:42 PM
I thought Richard Ramirez was on death row, FUCK SOMEBODY GET HIM A DOCTOR OR AT LEAST AN EMT!

Matt White
10-13-2004, 10:15 AM
Choosing between a MIKEY bass solo or SHEMP's 3 hour drum solo is like choosing between Chinese water torture and being beaten with a rubber hose full of sand. Both extremely unpleasant.

light 'em up!
10-13-2004, 11:16 AM
These days, any solo performance at a Van Hagar concert would be unbearable.

Fuck 'em all.

Don Corleone
10-13-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by fe_lung
Ok, which is the bigger travesty:

A "bass solo" by Mike Anthony

or

A "drum solo" from AVH

Neither. A tour with Roy is the bigger travesty

ZahZoo
10-13-2004, 01:10 PM
Neither is unbearable... both are a good opportunity for a piss break or beer run.

bueno bob
10-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Well, I'd say both are pathetic enough ( is there REALLY any need to hear how talented Mike is? Or Alex? Is there REALLY any purpose at all? :rolleyes: ), still, given the choice, I'd listen to Alex. Being a bassist myself, it just makes me sick to listen to Mike make farts on his instrument for 11+ minutes when he actually COULD be soloing and showing off a bit...just ridiculous...