Bodies of babies found in Saddam's 'killing field'

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lucky wilbury

This is London magazine has been established for over 65 years, providing readers with information about events, exhibitions, music, concerts, theatre and dining. As life returns to normal, Londoners are heading back into the Capital and many visitors are already coming from further afield.

By Joe Murphy, Evening Standard Political Editor
    13 October 2004

A mass grave containing the bodies of children, babies and their mothers has been unearthed in Iraq.

Shocked investigators reported finding "thighbones the size of matchsticks" at what they believe is the site of one of Saddam Hussein's atrocities. Among the findings-were the skeletons of unborn babies and toddlers clutching toys.

A baby had been shot in the back of its head and was found still being clutched by its mother, who had been shot in the face. The discovery was reported as Tony Blair came under mounting pressure to apologise to Parliament for the misleading intelligence claiming Saddam had weapons of mass destruction.

It will strengthen the Prime Minister's case that despite the intelligencefailures the war to topple the Iraqi dictator was justified by his record as a mass killer of his own people. Mr Blair is facing MPs for the first time since the Iraq Survey Group report last week admitted there were no illegal chemical and biological weapons in Iraq.

Liberal Democrat leader Charles

Kennedy demanded he make a full Commons statement on the findings but Mr Blair was hoping to escape by merely answering questions at his regular weekly appearance.

The mass grave was being excavated near Hatra, a village in northern Iraq with a large Kurdish population. US-led investigators have located nine trenches so far containing hundreds of bodies, believed to be Kurds killed during the repression of the Eighties. The bodies had been bulldozed into the ground.

Evidence from the graves will be used at the Iraqi Special Tribunal where Saddam will face trial for war crimes. "It is my personal opinion that this is a killing field," said Greg Kehoe, a US official. "Someone used this field on significant occasions over time to take people up there and execute them."

One trench contains only women and children while another contains only men. "The youngest foetus we have was 18 to 20 foetal weeks," said a US investigating anthropologist. "Tiny bones, femurs - thighbones the size of a matchstick."

Some 300,000 people are thought to have been killed during Saddam's regime. Iraq's human rights ministry has reportedly identified 40 possible mass graves across the country.

Meanwhile, Saddam underwent an operation to repair a hernia about 10 days ago and has made a full recovery, Iraqi sources said today.

He has been in US custody since 13 December and appeared in court in July for a preliminary hearing.
  • JCOOK

Does this even surprise anyone?

Comment

• Angel
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

Of course not, it's something we already knew, and pretty much goes without saying.
      "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Big Train
        Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

I'm waiting to hear how this was "planted" evidence by BCE operatives somehow...

Comment

• Angel
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

I'm more inclined to think that Ford will be thinking along the same lines as me:

"um, no kidding... tell us something new now, would you?"
          "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Big Train
            Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Yea, cause dead babies and all are kinda boring...let's focus on exciting stuff like the non-news of Cheney's tax returns where nothing illegal has been found. Mass atrocities and clear human rights violations are so blah...

Comment

• ODShowtime
              ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

This is non-news. It's absolutely horrifying, but it's non-news. A man who is known to have had people thrown into vats of acid obviously didn't care how old his victims were.
              gnaw on it

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

So it's just "non-news"...

George Bush should have left Saddam in power...

Comment

• Big Train
                  Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Because it's known, it's non-news? Why is something that can be demonstrated and proven as fact less "newsworthy" than circumstancial evidence and rumor?

I thought news was reporting facts, at least in theory...

Comment

• ODShowtime
                    ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Guys, everything I say isn't pro-Kerry or anti-bush. Saddam, 'the one who confronts', has been making a mockery of humanity longer than I have inhabited this planet. I am merely saying that anyone who exercises logic already knows that the SOB killed everyone who got in his way. I've seen pictures of mothers clutching babies and both were gassed... in '88 or so. God rest their poor souls.

But if you try to spin these 'newly discovered' facts so that it gives bush yet another new reason why it was OK that he invaded Iraq, then you are engaging in revisionist history. bush himself was quite aware that Saddam would kill anyone in his way. He should have stuck with that instead of citing faulty intelligence.

Train and Elvis, are either one of you surprised that they found baby bones in a mass grave? Answer truthfully...

Is anyone surprised?
                    gnaw on it

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Nobody questions that Saddam was a tyrant. However, that was not the reason given by the administration for why we needed to go to war with Iraq. It was only used as an additional justification after the fact. This story has no relevance to the election whatsoever.
                      ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                      Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Yes, I'm suprised...

Comment

• ODShowtime
                          ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                          Yes, I'm suprised...
                          buddy, that's the difference between me and you

I'm not surprised. That motherfucker was an animal. An animal that has been sponsored by some of the very same people you support.

Anything goes when you are an animal and you are looking out for your own neck. All humans act like this, not just mean Arabs.
                          gnaw on it

Comment

• Big Train
                            Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

OD,

Where is the spin in this? Nobody in this thread has tried to spin in the way you imply. However, since you picked that path, why isn't a good thing that we stopped this? People who spin it are the ones who say "This is going on elsewhere and we didn't stop it". Yay. Here, today, in this piece of dirt, it stops. If that doesn't count for something, I don't know what to tell ya...

Am I suprised,no. He was a useless piece of carbon causing lots of problems on this planet.

OD, what are you looking for ? That there were a multitude of reasons to go in there doesn't seem good enough to you, you seem to want to only have one reason to go in there. Why is stopping this not valid?

Comment

• ODShowtime
                              ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

I guess my posts here are more of an idictment of the human condition than gw&friends

I'd like to know the motivation behind lucky posting it really. I think he likes to watch us all bat the ball around.
                              gnaw on it

Comment

Working...