X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Is Eddie Van Halen washed up?

I saw their tour this summer and conclude Eddie Van Halen is indeed washed up as a guitar great. He no longer can come remotely close to his past brilliance and the guy is playing sloppy as hell these days.

I'll still give Eddie credit for being on of the great innovators of the electric guitar. No matter how bad he fucks up, he still can't rob himself of his past accomplishments.

For me though, watching Eddie Van Halen play these days is like watching an old, drunk, sloppy Michael Jordan trying to play basketball again. I think many of us wanted to see Babe Ruth hit his last ball out of the park but Babe doesn't even know where he is or who he's playing for these days.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!
  • kcmusician
    Head Fluffer
    • Jul 2004

I have to disagree.... I saw the tour this year too, and I was impressed. Eddie has always been kind of sloppy live, just like everyone else.... I've seen him in '95, '98, and '04 and he can still play circles around most guitarists of the day, I promise you that!

Shaun
    "'Cause stayin' 'round here takes patience It's like a full time occupation"

- Diamond Dave

Comment

• Cathedral
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

100% Yes, he finally pickled himself.

If i had spent half of what the tickets cost for this tour and got a show like he is giving after 6 years off?

I'd have been far more pissed than i can ever imagine being. I talked my nephews out of going and their friends came back bitching that it sucked.

Thank God i was lucky enough to have been a die-hard when they started and saw them in their prime.

Um, where's the fork?

Comment

• Cathedral
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by kcmusician
        I have to disagree.... I saw the tour this year too, and I was impressed. Eddie has always been kind of sloppy live, just like everyone else.... I've seen him in '95, '98, and '04 and he can still play circles around most guitarists of the day, I promise you that!

Shaun
        And i respectfully disagree with your disagreement, lol.
        Yes, Ed has always been sloppy, but sloppy is not what he is doing now. I'd welcome sloppy compared to what i have heard from this tour.

But, maybe you saw him on a good night, in which case i am glad you feel you got your moneys worth from the band.

Spammy kept my ass far away from this train wreck.

Comment

• kcmusician
          Head Fluffer
          • Jul 2004

All I know is that the band was in semi top form here in Kansas City, and in East Rutherford.... I've got the DVD's to prove it.

Shaun

- Diamond Dave

Comment

• kcmusician
            Head Fluffer
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
            And i respectfully disagree with your disagreement, lol.
            Yes, Ed has always been sloppy, but sloppy is not what he is doing now. I'd welcome sloppy compared to what i have heard from this tour.

But, maybe you saw him on a good night, in which case i am glad you feel you got your moneys worth from the band.

Spammy kept my ass far away from this train wreck.
            Exactly.... I'm not saying that Eddie is worth his weight in gold everynight, but the show I was at was good, and the dvd's I have are good too....

Shaun

- Diamond Dave

Comment

• lms2

I don't have any dvds..but I have my memories. Denver rocked!

I don't know that Ed is as good as he used to be, and I don't agree with all that he is doing right now... but the funny thing is the negativity on this site regarding Ed is what made me decide to shell out the money to see him "one last time". Dick or not, he will always be Eddie Van Halen.

Comment

• kcmusician
                Head Fluffer
                • Jul 2004

Right on! EVH is still "Da man" to me when it comes to guitar heroes! If you want a copy of the dvd, shoot me an e-mail. KramerKid@kc.rr.com

Shaun

- Diamond Dave

Comment

• lms2

Thanks... I will do that.

Muscially speaking, I am just a very passive listener. I don't play guitar, or drums... I don't have any behind the scenes contacts. I am just a lucky fan that got to meet all four of them after a concert back in the early 80s and will never EVER forget them!

Dave or the Grave... but I hope before it gets to that point, I will see Dave with Van Halen, live, one more time.

Comment

• kcmusician
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jul 2004

I agree with ya... I have access to the 1984 concert video, and here's the link to the site.... This guy is running everything from a personal server, so it takes time to get the stuff. http://www.steveowabo.com/vhvideos.htm

Shaun

- Diamond Dave

Comment

• kcmusician
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jul 2004

By the way, what happened to the hot photo? The monkey is hot too I guess, but damn! lol.... Check yo mail!

Shaun

- Diamond Dave

Comment

• Panamark
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

you guys are not the same dudes that were saying how great
                        Ed ia playing Running with the Devil and Unchained at the moment ??

He totally fucks these songs up, from the clips I have seen.
                        He should be able to nail these in his sleep.. Yet I seem
                        to remember some here, saying, whats wrong ?? It sounds
                        great ?? Thats when I thought, Ok.. Obviously there are
                        Van Hagar fans out there that dont care when Ed is fucking
                        up. (Or dont realize it, when he does)
                        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Matt White
                          • Jun 2004

"Washed" and EVH are seldom used in the same sentance these days.

Comment

• light 'em up!
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Mar 2004

Ed's been washed up.

Comment

• DrGrafenberg
                              Roadie
                              • Aug 2004

Ok over here in the UK we have a TV programme
                              Where they take some filthy toe-rag and run microbiological tests on the victim
                              & rake through their hair for bugs etc, then show the person what sort of bacteria are living on them.

Then the ladies scrub the victim 'til clean

This duo went to the Osbournes house (I not seen it yet) but should imagine
                              they found a lot of dog poo!
                              Anyway the point is, I am thinking of putting EVH's name forward as the next "guest"

Last edited by DrGrafenberg; 10-14-2004, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Working...