PDA

View Full Version : Can't get this stuff any more....Dave's Best

scorpioboy33
10-15-2004, 08:34 AM
In my mind Can't get this stuff anymore is Dave's highest achievement re: vocals. His range is wonderful when he hits the line

"How many times does somebody lie" ...i stood up and clapped.

This song should have marked what could have been the great rock and roll comeback of all times... :(

Panamark
10-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Lyrically, those two songs were amazing.
Its like Dave spoke to us, explained the whole situation,
We, the fans got it.

It went straight over Edwina and Alices heads !
I like to think Dave knew they wouldnt figure it out,
(The Sisters)
and that it was a chance to finally say what he had to say..

And the sisters didnt have a clue !!!

They probably still listen to those songs and
go Huh ??? WTF was Dave saying ?

Obvious to us.......

scorpioboy33
10-15-2004, 08:57 AM
it should have been the fucking start...not an ending

Bad Muthafucker
10-15-2004, 09:17 AM
i STILL listen to those two songs all the time in my car. how great they sound...especially now with all the bullshit going on.

Vanstonica
10-15-2004, 09:22 AM
Hell yeah!

The whole band sounds amazing on the two new Dave tracks from BOV1.

I personally prefer Me Wise Magic of the two....Eddie just rips that song apart. I'd kill to see that song performed live. I wonder if Dave would ever consider doing it as part of his live show? The fans would eat it up.

DavidLeeNatra
10-15-2004, 09:42 AM
I like the interview of ed when he says "dave never says what this stuff is about that you can't get no more" to turn down his lyrical writing abilities that little prick...while it is so obvious to all the fans...

hey ed, the true fans - not the handfull of sheep you pull in nowadays - we, the true fans are not that stupid you whish us to be...and WE got dave's message and you get what you deserve, fuck you...

scorpioboy33
10-15-2004, 09:47 AM
i also thought these two tracks were a new direction for dave and the band...like what a maturing van halen should sound like!

DlocRoth
10-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Me Wise is dare I say, vintage VH. The guitar is there, the vocals are there, the background vocals are awesome. Great fuckin tune.

CGTSNM also rocks! LOL

Matt White
10-15-2004, 11:32 AM
CGTSNM, BRILLIANT. EVH & shemp ARE TOO THICK to get the message in the song. Dullards & Drunks seldom do.

Bill Lumbergh
10-15-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Vanstonica

I wonder if Dave would ever consider doing it as part of his live show? The fans would eat it up.

Good call, that would be great.

diamondsgirl
10-15-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
We, the fans got it.

(The Sisters)

Obvious to us.......

Great post and I agree 100% and have stated this before. Dave is friggin' BRILLIANT on both songs. :cool:

LMAO @ the sisters didnt have a clue !!!

:fucku: <--this is how I picture Dave everytime I hear those tunes.

bueno bob
10-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Easily the best songs Van Halen had put their name on since 1984, and a great sounding mature Van Halen...had things gone on to album stage and not just the two new tracks, we'd have had a different world on our hands right now...

EmpyreLounge44
10-15-2004, 12:26 PM
never dug either tune...just never did anything for me. tried to hard to capture a moment that just wasn't there anymore, in my ears at least

thepunisher
10-15-2004, 12:30 PM
I often wonder what those songs that Dave wrote w/ Ed back in 2000 must sound like. Dave said it was incredible. I don't hear anything incredible coming from VH with the fat one probably cause he couldn't sing Dave's shit. Dave probably knew Ed would eventually bring Fattie back in sooner or later. Dave's stuff is Dave's stuff. I hope Spammy never touches whatever Dave and Ed started in 2000. Someday sooner or later, we will hear that stuff (i hope) and I don't want them overwritten with the clown singing them.

EmpyreLounge44
10-15-2004, 12:35 PM
i bet they sound like up for breakfast and its about time with different lyrics

thepunisher
10-15-2004, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't know because I have not heard them and will not hear them.

VIVA ROTH!!!

JacktheRipper
10-15-2004, 01:02 PM
iove heard tham and they blow me wise magic and can't get this stuff no more away. i have one to my possesion. it's a live bootleg. now the proff that this is the ones from 2000, is that the tile of the song a downloaded,(said something like' david lee roth with van halen 2000 independence day new), and i dont know if that could be trusted. but the sound, its like lod van halen but has that deep new sound to it. dave's vocals are good, but they get drowned out by the guitar a little bit (live bootleg). the song's called here's just what she wanted, and is 2:52 min long. if a had to descibe it i'd say it sound like the classic van halen songs that weren't the hits played on the radio. Raw van halen dare i say. The other song i got a min or so download was called 'down in flames' and was a lot like mean street. but dave hits incrediable high notes that get drowned out, and you can't really tell what he's saying. sound's like someone just stood up and recorded with a tape recorder.

thepunisher
10-15-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by JacktheRipper
iove heard tham and they blow me wise magic and can't get this stuff no more away. i have one to my possesion. it's a live bootleg. now the proff that this is the ones from 2000, is that the tile of the song a downloaded,(said something like' david lee roth with van halen 2000 independence day new), and i dont know if that could be trusted. but the sound, its like lod van halen but has that deep new sound to it. dave's vocals are good, but they get drowned out by the guitar a little bit (live bootleg). the song's called here's just what she wanted, and is 2:52 min long. if a had to descibe it i'd say it sound like the classic van halen songs that weren't the hits played on the radio. Raw van halen dare i say. The other song i got a min or so download was called 'down in flames' and was a lot like mean street. but dave hits incrediable high notes that get drowned out, and you can't really tell what he's saying. sound's like someone just stood up and recorded with a tape recorder.

You know I would definitely once again like to hear that. I think I recall reading that those "bootlegs" were fake and in fact done by a pretty good cover band. Don't know if this is fact, Just what I vaguely recall. Loucap81 would know he's well-versed in the bootleg area.

Mezro
10-15-2004, 04:00 PM
CGTSNM is one of my favorite VH songs ever!

Mezro...Dave sounds great and the lyrics are just amazing...

Big Troubles
10-15-2004, 04:07 PM
CGTSNM is one of the bands finest moments. MWM is a little bit of a downer for me, I guess cause it somehow reminds me of Humans Being. The tone I guess. Thats not terrible, since i think Humans Being is at least listen-able.

scorpioboy33
10-15-2004, 04:09 PM
fuck fuck fuck...they should have did like 7 more songs and toured....geez

fanofdave
10-15-2004, 04:14 PM
Can't Get This Stuff No More

...got me a date with a supermodel...

(dave is making fun of a gig with van halen)

...dinner at the hotel, champagne bottle...

(those vh boys are trying to wine and dine
dave into thinking he's in for a good deal)

...steak and potatoes; a feather and a bucket...

(oh, they're feeding him, alright; they're feeding
him a line of bullshit. the romans used to gorge
at the feasts then use a feather to puke the shit
up...Dave saw right through their smoke screen)

dave put the van halen brother's bullshit tactics
into the words of the song and ed and alex were
too fucking stupid to figure it out. that's a classic
piece of work by Dave the lyrics master.

diamondsgirl
10-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by fanofdave

...steak and potatoes; a feather and a bucket...

( the romans used to gorge at the feasts then use a feather to puke the shit up...

I did not know that. Cool. I learned something today. :)

DavidLeeNatra
10-15-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by fanofdave

dave put the van halen brother's bullshit tactics
into the words of the song and ed and alex were
too fucking stupid to figure it out. that's a classic
piece of work by Dave the lyrics master.

and I tell you...they still have no clue at all yet...and never will...

ace diamond
10-15-2004, 06:20 PM
cgtsnm is fuckin great!

dave blasts the sister's in the chorus
"how many times can somebody lie,till patience runs her course
now it's time,we said our good bye's.....cause you can't get this stuff no more!!!!

see,dave knew a re-union was never gonna happen,and he was informing us so we would know and so we have all the more reasons to laugh at the sisters!we should be laughing our asses off right along with dave,he played those twits and they still have no fucking clue what he was saying or what it was the hit them and knocked em the fuck out!

dave scores a first round k.o. for us,the fans!!!!!!
dave is the man!!!!!!!

interceptor
10-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by thepunisher
You know I would definitely once again like to hear that. I think I recall reading that those "bootlegs" were fake and in fact done by a pretty good cover band. Don't know if this is fact, Just what I vaguely recall. Loucap81 would know he's well-versed in the bootleg area.

I'm not sure about "all that she wanted", but I've heard the boot of "Dovn in Flames", and if I remember right it is a live recording of an early club performance by VH.

And to stick to the topic......Me Wise Magic is easily in my top 5 favorite Van Halen/Dave songs. The background vocals, Ed shredding, and how can you not like Dave. I love: "A Little Zen.....Headed Your Way." in that deep Dave voice!!

DLRdelight!
10-16-2004, 02:11 AM
It was a great song that should have kicked off an album, great solo, lyrics, vocals, had everytihn

kcmusician
10-16-2004, 05:21 AM
The two new songs with Roth are 10000000000000000000000000000% better than the three new songs with Sammy.... Dave was talking to everyone in those lyrics.... I knew as soon as I heard CGTSNM that he was talking about Van Halen.... What a great writer and talent.

Shaun

stringfelowhawk
10-16-2004, 05:39 AM
Finally feeling vindicated....
I have always said "Cant Get This Stuff No More" is the classiest burn ever put to record. I listen to them almost daily and I'm not making that shit up. I hear them and it puts me in a good mood. I love the hell outta "Me Wise Magic"! I remember when it came out, that song was played soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much on the radio. TK101 outta Panama City Beach or Pensacola. Every body was goin nuts because it was "Van Halen" and not some "Poetic Felony" committed by Van Hagar.
After the last verse of "MWM" Eddie's guitar playing gets really intense. It sounds crazy. I've talked to several people who didn't like the intro and outtro. I love the way the tone slightly builds until it explodes on the intro and the kick ass harmonics on the outtro tapping he does. Classic Van Halen at its finest. Always makes me smile.

kcmusician
10-16-2004, 05:49 AM
Those are probably the two best songs Van Halen has recorded in 20 years man.... Even better than the other classics.

Shaun

kcmusician
10-16-2004, 05:50 AM
Hellz yeah!

http://www.sixstringer.net/back.jpg

scorpioboy33
10-16-2004, 08:00 AM
fuck it's good to be in the company of kindred spirits!

lms2
10-16-2004, 08:14 AM
I love both of those songs. I have enjoyed reading all of your comments on what Dave was saying, or what the sisters were missing, except for the fact that it all sounds so final...

What Dave has publicaly said, and what I will continue to go on believing until he publicaly says otherwise, is that as long as they are all breathing, there is a chance they will be together again. Instead of seeing those two songs as a final statement, a farewell, I see them as a teaser, a hint of what we could get if they could just work the shit out.

The three new songs are a dissappointment. I hate the songs even more because when I think of them... (its not like you actually hear them, unless you bought the album ;) ) I just wonder how they would have sounded if they had FINISHED them with Dave!

CROWBAR
10-16-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
We, the fans got it.

(The Sisters)

Obvious to us.......

As usual Panamark, dead on mate! :baaa:

Dave so played Edwina and Alice in his own classy way! Kudos DLR! :D
Those two songs are great! Personally like Me Wise Magic a little better. Kinda sounds old school Halen, like I grew up listening to.

Nitro Express
10-16-2004, 08:32 PM
Those two new songs and the MTV appearance created so much excitement that it took years for it to die down. Those songs proved Dave and Eddie could do something different but wonderful together. Alex was shiting bricks.

RogueHorseman
10-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Hardly a day or two goes by without me listening to both tracks.

Ed flat tore it up on MWM, too... sounded better than he had in twelve years. Inspired stuff. Dave too, and his vox on CGTSNM are so full of in-your-face emotion.

We've talked about it all before, but there is no doubt that Dave was quite clever with his pen and was expressing his feelings full-on on the big VH stage.

"They" got it though, just too late.

diamondsgirl
10-16-2004, 10:32 PM
RH - I love your avatar!! :)

guwapo_rocker
10-16-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by EmpyreLounge44
never dug either tune...just never did anything for me. tried to hard to capture a moment that just wasn't there anymore, in my ears at least Get stuffed Giz Sponge, But hey RIKK loves you!!!

guwapo_rocker
10-16-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by RogueHorseman
Hardly a day or two goes by without me listening to both tracks.

Ed flat tore it up on MWM, too... sounded better than he had in twelve years. Inspired stuff. Dave too, and his vox on CGTSNM are so full of in-your-face emotion.

We've talked about it all before, but there is no doubt that Dave was quite clever with his pen and was expressing his feelings full-on on the big VH stage.

"They" got it though, just too late.

Yes, Cheers!

RogueHorseman
10-17-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
RH - I love your avatar!! :)

Just another indication of your good taste! :)

kcmusician
10-17-2004, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by lms2
The three new songs are a dissappointment. I hate the songs even more because when I think of them... (its not like you actually hear them, unless you bought the album ;) ) I just wonder how they would have sounded if they had FINISHED them with Dave!

The best song out of the three new ones is probably "Up For Breakfast". I think Sammy did the best job he could with the songs, because they ARE NOT typical VH sounding songs.... Van Halen used to be a leader in music, everyone had to keep up with them.... The new songs make Van Halen sound like a follower which is sad.... I don't think Dave could even make those songs much better.... It's the music, it's not very good....

Shaun

Matt White
10-17-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by kcmusician
The best song out of the three new ones is probably "Up For Breakfast". I think Sammy did the best job he could with the songs, because they ARE NOT typical VH sounding songs.... Van Halen used to be a leader in music, everyone had to keep up with them.... The new songs make Van Halen sound like a follower which is sad.... I don't think Dave could even make those songs much better.... It's the music, it's not very good....

Shaun

Lad, the lyrics to those 3 new tunes make "Wham ! Bam! Amsterdam" sound like bloody shakespeare. Bollocks to Spammy for writing such tripe. Absolutely horrid.

Roth & Roll
10-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by JacktheRipper
i have one to my possesion. it's a live bootleg. now the proff that this is the ones from 2000, is that the tile of the song a downloaded,(said something like' david lee roth with van halen 2000 independence day new), and i dont know if that could be trusted. but the sound, its like lod van halen but has that deep new sound to it. dave's vocals are good, but they get drowned out by the guitar a little bit (live bootleg). the song's called here's just what she wanted, and is 2:52 min long. if a had to descibe it i'd say it sound like the classic van halen songs that weren't the hits played on the radio. Raw van halen dare i say. The other song i got a min or so download was called 'down in flames' and was a lot like mean street.

The songs you are referring to are NOT new material recorded with Dave in 2000 - it's old bootlegs and demos that were recorded between 1975-1977.

Blacklisted
10-17-2004, 01:43 PM
By the sounds of it Shaun should be on a Sammy forum. It looks like has his fly half way down is about to suck Spammy dry.

Those new songs are fucking terrible and they are NOT Van Halen. They are low quality even by Van Hagar standards.

DLR fucking RULES.

singerman
10-17-2004, 05:32 PM
yeah in total agreement....the two newish dave/vh songs are and will be better than anything that will be produced by vh on their next album....and ya know what....if everyone in this forum thinks that... then im sure the vh camp and those closest to them know it too!

Vivian Campbell
10-17-2004, 09:41 PM
After "Unchained," this is my favorite song. The blistering passion and purpose in Dave's lyrics and vocals are truly poetic. Dave knew that Eddie Van Broken Hip and Amsterdam Ape were going to pull some kind of shit and what do you know, we got it - Van Halen 3. If this is the last song, so be it. I'm glad the lasting impression Dave left on Van Halen is that of the mighty legend returning to settle score for the last time.

“Don’t need so much to remember, that’s how it is when you tell the truth!” - Greatest line in a VH song.

light 'em up!
10-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Vivian Campbell
The blistering passion and purpose in Dave's lyrics and vocals are truly poetic.

Poetic and prophetic.

glensfallspaul
10-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Where can I find the lyrics for "Can't Get This Stuff No More" and "Me Wise Magic"? They didn't include it in BOV1. In fact, they didn't include much in that package -- not even a picture of the band!

bueno bob
10-19-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by glensfallspaul
Where can I find the lyrics for "Can't Get This Stuff No More" and "Me Wise Magic"? They didn't include it in BOV1. In fact, they didn't include much in that package -- not even a picture of the band!

For what now is an obvious reason :rolleyes: - they didn't PLAN on the then current band going much further, apparently.

Just do a google for "rock lyrics", you'll come across 5000 sites that'll probably have them. Better yet, just listen to the songs again!

Calderone
10-19-2004, 05:24 PM
when i heard CGTSNM for the 1st time i remember
the phrase " keep that in mind,when we say goodbye,you can't get that stuff no more"
i knew...i knew dave was talkin bout VH but i wasn't sure cause i thought they were reuniting.-
but " that stuff" was the original lineup chemistry to me.

stringfelowhawk
10-19-2004, 06:48 PM
If you go over to the "official" band website..... van-halen.com and click on the music icon. Go over to the BOV1 cover and it will give you the track listing. Go down to the song and click on the little lyrics icon. Every song on the album has the lyrics icon. some even have the little short audio clips.

bueno bob
10-19-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by stringfelowhawk
If you go over to the "official" band website..... van-halen.com and click on the music icon. Go over to the BOV1 cover and it will give you the track listing. Go down to the song and click on the little lyrics icon. Every song on the album has the lyrics icon. some even have the little short audio clips.

Why do you know that?

Are you....

....A SHEEP?!??!?!?!??!?!?!???!? :D

glensfallspaul
10-20-2004, 08:08 AM
" If you go over to the "official" band website..... van-halen.com and click on the music icon. Go over to the BOV1 cover and it will give you the track listing. Go down to the song and click on the little lyrics icon. Every song on the album has the lyrics icon. some even have the little short audio clips".

Thanks! Was excited to find video clips as well, including clips of Classic Van Halen. They even had a clip of the "Pretty Woman" video, which was pretty cool. It was especially good to see because the one VH video collection that I've seen only has the 3 videos from "1984" -- the rest is Van Hagar stuff.

Are the earlier videos available anywhere else?

EmpyreLounge44
10-20-2004, 12:19 PM
if thats true that dave was "speaking to the fans" in Cant Get this stuff NO MORE, than that is further proof that even he knew he was not back in the band since you cant get this stuff (VH) no more

Matt White
10-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by EmpyreLounge44
if thats true that dave was "speaking to the fans" in Cant Get this stuff NO MORE, than that is further proof that even he knew he was not back in the band since you cant get this stuff (VH) no more

What he was saying, lad, was that he was HIP to the scam the Sisters where trying to pull on him. Read "CRAZY FROM THE HEAT" to get an idea of "what DAVE knew". He could see that they were trying to use him, and that his LOVE for CLASSIC VAN HALEN blinded him to their true intent. Really, that's it in a nutshell.

stringfelowhawk
10-20-2004, 06:26 PM
Ahhh! A rookie accusing me of being a sheep? This is not a fight you want to pick. I've been around since before this site went awol. Search for my posts and ye shall see the path to enlightenment. "Assumptions are the mother of all F*ckups"!

Bad Muthafucker
11-24-2004, 11:53 AM
how great does this song sound now?? especially after reading about edward's meltdown on stage? maybe we WILL be able to get some more of that stuff!

Bad Muthafucker
11-24-2004, 11:57 AM
and personally, i prefer CGTSNM to Me Wise Magic. i think it was more of a dig at the sisters, and i really like dave's singing alot more on it!

Calderone
11-24-2004, 12:12 PM
" "dave never says what this stuff is about that you can't get no more" "

ya see...ed's a tool !!!!!!
a moron !!!!!

Dave shitted him on his own face

Parnelly
11-24-2004, 12:30 PM
It might be just me but Cant get this stuff no more and me wise are fucking great and sound alot like certain song on 1984. Top Jimmy? Girls Gone Bad? If you ask me its like there never was a sammy era when those 2 songs came. That they picked up where they left off. And anybody who has read crazy from the heat would know its Eddys fault for the demise of the original mighty Van Halen. Dave was set up and thats all their is to it. If you listen to the tabloids you get a totally different (Eddy) Version of the story. Either way what could have been the biggest come backs of all time is gone. All though the music was amazing and more than likely could very well be again. I would hope that Dave did it on his terms and fuck ed the rest of the people that follow him around and call themselves a band. Or not at all. Its all Dave always was and always will be. And i hope he milks those cocksuckers for everything they got and everything Dave deserves.

Dave or the grave mother
fuckers.

Matt White
11-24-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Parnelly
Dave or the grave mother
fuckers.

Now THAT'S WHAT I'm TALKIN' 'BOUT!!!!

5 star!!! Kewl.

Parnelly
11-24-2004, 02:16 PM
Fuckin right bro. Right back at ya.