X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

False Advertising...

Local classic rock radio station in Portland, OR, "KGON", along with one or two other channels I've heard, has been giving away daily tickets to the upcoming Van Halen gig for about the last two to three weeks.

So I'm listening to KGON (it sucks, but it's all we've got), and they announce that, after their commercial break, they're going to be playing some Van Halen, a band "We haven't heard from for a long time now".

So, I think, well, what the fuck, it'll be Hagar, but I'm actually curious as to whether or not they're going to play anything new...not likely, I figure, but what the hell...

So, it pipes on, "Here they are, they're back after a long layoff, VAN HALEN"...

The song begins and guess what?

"EVERYBODY WANTS SOME".

Now I got really pissed off at this point. How many fuckers out there heard the same thing, are too busy working or too non-computer savvy to know that this is NOT a David Lee Roth fronted Van Halen?

I mean, fuck, there is a difference! How many tickets got sold because some 45-50 year old dude thinks to himself "SHIT, I haven't heard that song in ages! Man, I wanna go! Seeing David and Eddie together will be a GREAT way to blow off my work day!"

The DJ, of course, didn't bother to clarify at all, just added on the promotion that, if and when you win free tickets to the show, you get entered for a trip to two to Cabo or some such thing...no mention at all that this is NOT a Roth fronted Van Halen, just that it's "Van Halen"...

This bothers me. I think it's deceptive, and while I may be exaggerating the case, I don't think I'm entirely off kilter about it.

Now, children - DISCUSS.
    Twistin' by the pool.
  • TongueNGroove
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2004

Umm, if you are a Van Halen fan and you want to go to their concert and you have no clue who is going to be singing then either.

A) You're a complete retard
    or
    B) You're a complete retard

Anyone who is going to this concert KNOWS that its Van Halen with Sammy Hagar. Unless of course they don't kno shit about Van Halen, in which case does it really matter to them who is singing? Nope.
    -We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "Smart"?

-If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier.

Comment

• kcmusician
      Head Fluffer
      • Jul 2004

Re: False Advertising...

Originally posted by bueno bob
      Local classic rock radio station in Portland, OR, "KGON", along with one or two other channels I've heard, has been giving away daily tickets to the upcoming Van Halen gig for about the last two to three weeks.

So I'm listening to KGON (it sucks, but it's all we've got), and they announce that, after their commercial break, they're going to be playing some Van Halen, a band "We haven't heard from for a long time now".

So, I think, well, what the fuck, it'll be Hagar, but I'm actually curious as to whether or not they're going to play anything new...not likely, I figure, but what the hell...

So, it pipes on, "Here they are, they're back after a long layoff, VAN HALEN"...

The song begins and guess what?

"EVERYBODY WANTS SOME".

Now I got really pissed off at this point. How many fuckers out there heard the same thing, are too busy working or too non-computer savvy to know that this is NOT a David Lee Roth fronted Van Halen?

I mean, fuck, there is a difference! How many tickets got sold because some 45-50 year old dude thinks to himself "SHIT, I haven't heard that song in ages! Man, I wanna go! Seeing David and Eddie together will be a GREAT way to blow off my work day!"

The DJ, of course, didn't bother to clarify at all, just added on the promotion that, if and when you win free tickets to the show, you get entered for a trip to two to Cabo or some such thing...no mention at all that this is NOT a Roth fronted Van Halen, just that it's "Van Halen"...

This bothers me. I think it's deceptive, and while I may be exaggerating the case, I don't think I'm entirely off kilter about it.

Now, children - DISCUSS.

Well I don't think it's that big of a deal.... I mean, any fan should know the differance.... But there are probably those that don't.... But even when Van Hagar was riding high, they used to play Roth tunes durring the promotion of concerts.... I remember that from back in 1995. But I can see things from your stand point, I guess it would piss some people off.

Shaun
      "'Cause stayin' 'round here takes patience It's like a full time occupation"

- Diamond Dave

Comment

• kcmusician
        Head Fluffer
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by TongueNGroove
        Umm, if you are a Van Halen fan and you want to go to their concert and you have no clue who is going to be singing then either.

A) You're a complete retard
        or
        B) You're a complete retard

Anyone who is going to this concert KNOWS that its Van Halen with Sammy Hagar. Unless of course they don't kno shit about Van Halen, in which case does it really matter to them who is singing? Nope.

The main reason I go to see Van Halen is so I can see Eddie play.... I love his guitar solo, it's always mind blowing. But this is coming from the guitarist in me.

Shaun
        "'Cause stayin' 'round here takes patience It's like a full time occupation"

- Diamond Dave

Comment

• lms2

I agree that there are lot of people out there that have no clue as to who is fronting the band these days. When I went to their show this summer there were several people who asked me (with sarcasm I might add) "So who do they have singing for them these days?"

Thats why the army is here, and why its members must take it upon themselves to educate the general public about the wonders of Roth.

Get to work people!

Comment

• Panamark
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

I have a problem with them using Dave songs to promote a
            Sammy concert that doesnt even include that tune..

Its wrong. No other way to look at it.

False advertizing
            BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Matt White
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by lms2
              I agree that there are lot of people out there that have no clue as to who is fronting the band these days. When I went to their show this summer there were several people who asked me (with sarcasm I might add) "So who do they have singing for them these days?"

Thats why the army is here, and why its members must take it upon themselves to educate the general public about the wonders of Roth.

Get to work people!

There ain't NOBODY frontin' that band these days, or any days since 1985. As exciting as turnip soup.

Comment

• lms2

I think that is the most frightening picture of Ronald McDonald I have ever seen.

Comment

• Matt White
                  • Jun 2004

I think that is the most frightening picture of Ronald McDonald I have ever seen.
                  Almost as frightening as a Van Hagar show! But, definitely more fun!

Comment

• lms2

I thought you were gonna tell me it was your halloween costume...

Comment

• Matt White
                      • Jun 2004

I thought you were gonna tell me it was your halloween costume...
                      Naw, love, this is more my style.

Comment

• lms2

a nipple shot-sexy...

Thats good, impersonating a front man impersonator would scare the kiddies... the other might thrill the ladies.

Comment

• Matt White
                          • Jun 2004

a nipple shot-sexy...

Thats good, impersonating a front man impersonator would scare the kiddies... the other might thrill the ladies.

Now, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!!

Comment

• Blacklisted
                            Banned
                            • Sep 2004

It is definitely a sad world we live in when some fat fuck like Sammy is being passed off as Van Halen...

I definitely think its false advertisement because when you get into the show Sammy plays the ego card by performing solo shit. Obviously there are problems among the band when each member needs their own dedicated time on stage.... Drum solo/guitar solos are always cool been around a long time. But a fat fuck like Sammy does not deserve a solo period. What the fuck did that cocksmoker EVER do to deserve a solo performance during a "Van Halen" concert...

How many times does somebody lie.... Cuz you can't get this stuff no more. The DLR said it on BO Volume 1 and Van Halen should be renamed Van Hagar post 1984 albums.

DLR fucking RULES!

Comment

• bueno bob
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Well, case in point, my Dads a Van Halen fan, but he couldn't tell you who's singing for them from one minute to the next...he kinda went both directions (Hagar and Roth) but preferred Roth...which is exactly my point.

Not that he's interested, but if my Dad happened to be listening and fall in the "Actually Interested in Seeing Van Halen Live" catagory, he'd be disappointed thinking that he'd hear all the old shit when in truth, after he bought the tickets, he wouldn't, nor would he be getting a David show.

Frankly, since the radio isn't promoting anything new by the band, I think it's a disservice to the average audience member who could be swayed by it...I've had to correct one or two other people (the older generation, 45-50) who have heard "VAN HALEN'S BACK!" and mistakenly thought it was David.
                              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

Working...