PDA

View Full Version : False Advertising...

bueno bob
10-16-2004, 04:17 AM
Local classic rock radio station in Portland, OR, "KGON", along with one or two other channels I've heard, has been giving away daily tickets to the upcoming Van Halen gig for about the last two to three weeks.

So I'm listening to KGON (it sucks, but it's all we've got), and they announce that, after their commercial break, they're going to be playing some Van Halen, a band "We haven't heard from for a long time now".

So, I think, well, what the fuck, it'll be Hagar, but I'm actually curious as to whether or not they're going to play anything new...not likely, I figure, but what the hell...

So, it pipes on, "Here they are, they're back after a long layoff, VAN HALEN"...

The song begins and guess what?

"EVERYBODY WANTS SOME".

Now I got really pissed off at this point. How many fuckers out there heard the same thing, are too busy working or too non-computer savvy to know that this is NOT a David Lee Roth fronted Van Halen?

I mean, fuck, there is a difference! How many tickets got sold because some 45-50 year old dude thinks to himself "SHIT, I haven't heard that song in ages! Man, I wanna go! Seeing David and Eddie together will be a GREAT way to blow off my work day!"

The DJ, of course, didn't bother to clarify at all, just added on the promotion that, if and when you win free tickets to the show, you get entered for a trip to two to Cabo or some such thing...no mention at all that this is NOT a Roth fronted Van Halen, just that it's "Van Halen"...

This bothers me. I think it's deceptive, and while I may be exaggerating the case, I don't think I'm entirely off kilter about it.

Now, children - DISCUSS.

TongueNGroove
10-16-2004, 04:46 AM
Umm, if you are a Van Halen fan and you want to go to their concert and you have no clue who is going to be singing then either.

A) You're a complete retard
or
B) You're a complete retard

Anyone who is going to this concert KNOWS that its Van Halen with Sammy Hagar. Unless of course they don't kno shit about Van Halen, in which case does it really matter to them who is singing? Nope.

kcmusician
10-16-2004, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Local classic rock radio station in Portland, OR, "KGON", along with one or two other channels I've heard, has been giving away daily tickets to the upcoming Van Halen gig for about the last two to three weeks.

So I'm listening to KGON (it sucks, but it's all we've got), and they announce that, after their commercial break, they're going to be playing some Van Halen, a band "We haven't heard from for a long time now".

So, I think, well, what the fuck, it'll be Hagar, but I'm actually curious as to whether or not they're going to play anything new...not likely, I figure, but what the hell...

So, it pipes on, "Here they are, they're back after a long layoff, VAN HALEN"...

"EVERYBODY WANTS SOME".

Now I got really pissed off at this point. How many fuckers out there heard the same thing, are too busy working or too non-computer savvy to know that this is NOT a David Lee Roth fronted Van Halen?

I mean, fuck, there is a difference! How many tickets got sold because some 45-50 year old dude thinks to himself "SHIT, I haven't heard that song in ages! Man, I wanna go! Seeing David and Eddie together will be a GREAT way to blow off my work day!"

The DJ, of course, didn't bother to clarify at all, just added on the promotion that, if and when you win free tickets to the show, you get entered for a trip to two to Cabo or some such thing...no mention at all that this is NOT a Roth fronted Van Halen, just that it's "Van Halen"...

This bothers me. I think it's deceptive, and while I may be exaggerating the case, I don't think I'm entirely off kilter about it.

Now, children - DISCUSS.

Well I don't think it's that big of a deal.... I mean, any fan should know the differance.... But there are probably those that don't.... But even when Van Hagar was riding high, they used to play Roth tunes durring the promotion of concerts.... I remember that from back in 1995. But I can see things from your stand point, I guess it would piss some people off.

Shaun

kcmusician
10-16-2004, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by TongueNGroove
Umm, if you are a Van Halen fan and you want to go to their concert and you have no clue who is going to be singing then either.

A) You're a complete retard
or
B) You're a complete retard

Anyone who is going to this concert KNOWS that its Van Halen with Sammy Hagar. Unless of course they don't kno shit about Van Halen, in which case does it really matter to them who is singing? Nope.

The main reason I go to see Van Halen is so I can see Eddie play.... I love his guitar solo, it's always mind blowing. But this is coming from the guitarist in me.

Shaun

lms2
10-16-2004, 08:00 AM
I agree that there are lot of people out there that have no clue as to who is fronting the band these days. When I went to their show this summer there were several people who asked me (with sarcasm I might add) "So who do they have singing for them these days?"

Thats why the army is here, and why its members must take it upon themselves to educate the general public about the wonders of Roth.

Get to work people!

Panamark
10-16-2004, 08:07 AM
I have a problem with them using Dave songs to promote a
Sammy concert that doesnt even include that tune..

Its wrong. No other way to look at it.

False advertizing

Matt White
10-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by lms2
I agree that there are lot of people out there that have no clue as to who is fronting the band these days. When I went to their show this summer there were several people who asked me (with sarcasm I might add) "So who do they have singing for them these days?"

Thats why the army is here, and why its members must take it upon themselves to educate the general public about the wonders of Roth.

Get to work people!

There ain't NOBODY frontin' that band these days, or any days since 1985. As exciting as turnip soup.

lms2
10-16-2004, 11:53 AM
I think that is the most frightening picture of Ronald McDonald I have ever seen.

Matt White
10-16-2004, 11:59 AM
I think that is the most frightening picture of Ronald McDonald I have ever seen.

Almost as frightening as a Van Hagar show! But, definitely more fun!

lms2
10-16-2004, 12:10 PM
I thought you were gonna tell me it was your halloween costume...

Matt White
10-16-2004, 12:29 PM
I thought you were gonna tell me it was your halloween costume...

Naw, love, this is more my style.

lms2
10-16-2004, 12:41 PM
a nipple shot-sexy...

Thats good, impersonating a front man impersonator would scare the kiddies... the other might thrill the ladies. :D

Matt White
10-16-2004, 01:20 PM
a nipple shot-sexy...

Thats good, impersonating a front man impersonator would scare the kiddies... the other might thrill the ladies. :D

:D :bananna: :lookie: :hula: :tits: :lol:
Now, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!!

Blacklisted
10-16-2004, 03:01 PM
It is definitely a sad world we live in when some fat fuck like Sammy is being passed off as Van Halen...

I definitely think its false advertisement because when you get into the show Sammy plays the ego card by performing solo shit. Obviously there are problems among the band when each member needs their own dedicated time on stage.... Drum solo/guitar solos are always cool been around a long time. But a fat fuck like Sammy does not deserve a solo period. What the fuck did that cocksmoker EVER do to deserve a solo performance during a "Van Halen" concert...

How many times does somebody lie.... Cuz you can't get this stuff no more. The DLR said it on BO Volume 1 and Van Halen should be renamed Van Hagar post 1984 albums.

DLR fucking RULES!

bueno bob
10-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Well, case in point, my Dads a Van Halen fan, but he couldn't tell you who's singing for them from one minute to the next...he kinda went both directions (Hagar and Roth) but preferred Roth...which is exactly my point.

Not that he's interested, but if my Dad happened to be listening and fall in the "Actually Interested in Seeing Van Halen Live" catagory, he'd be disappointed thinking that he'd hear all the old shit when in truth, after he bought the tickets, he wouldn't, nor would he be getting a David show.

Frankly, since the radio isn't promoting anything new by the band, I think it's a disservice to the average audience member who could be swayed by it...I've had to correct one or two other people (the older generation, 45-50) who have heard "VAN HALEN'S BACK!" and mistakenly thought it was David.

smaz
10-16-2004, 04:48 PM
If Dave was back with Van Halen, everybody would know that Van Halen were back with Dave. Van Halen fan or not, everybody would know. Ed would make sure the biggest advertising point is advertised, so if it was Dave that would be it. But this reunion, they're advertising it's Van Halen, not VH with Sammy. They must be ashamed to have him..............

But false advertising, I guess so. But technically as the band being advertised is Van Halen, anthing by Van Halen could be played. Dave or Sammy, it's Van Halen. It is appalling that they do that though. associate Dave with this current tour.........

lms2
10-16-2004, 04:58 PM
True all of that. THEY should not use Van Halen era music to promote a Van Hagar tour... but look on the flip side of that. Who is being promoted?

ROTH ON. Thats all its saying. People who don't know the difference in the Dave era because of age or ignorance will certainly figure it out if/when they attend the show.

"Hey, this shit doesn't sound ANYTHING like what was playing on the radio..." Then they will wind up here at the Army getting an education. :D

bueno bob
10-16-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by smaz
If Dave was back with Van Halen, everybody would know that Van Halen were back with Dave. Van Halen fan or not, everybody would know. Ed would make sure the biggest advertising point is advertised, so if it was Dave that would be it. But this reunion, they're advertising it's Van Halen, not VH with Sammy. They must be ashamed to have him..............

But false advertising, I guess so. But technically as the band being advertised is Van Halen, anthing by Van Halen could be played. Dave or Sammy, it's Van Halen. It is appalling that they do that though. associate Dave with this current tour.........

Well, yeah, since the albums have been released under the name "Van Halen", I guess they can do it. But when you said this :

Originally posted by smaz
they're advertising it's Van Halen, not VH with Sammy. They must be ashamed to have him..............It is appalling that they do that though. associate Dave with this current tour

You pretty much summed up what I'm getting at.

bueno bob
10-16-2004, 05:01 PM
True all of that. THEY should not use Van Halen era music to promote a Van Hagar tour... but look on the flip side of that. Who is being promoted?

ROTH ON. Thats all its saying. People who don't know the difference in the Dave era because of age or ignorance will certainly figure it out if/when they attend the show.

"Hey, this shit doesn't sound ANYTHING like what was playing on the radio..." Then they will wind up here at the Army getting an education. :D

Once again, exactly :)

You so smartee pants!! :D

Lou
10-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Naw, love, this is more my style.

And there's a band that didn't DARE use the name "Led Zeppelin" after John Bonham died.

bueno bob
10-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Lou
And there's a band that didn't DARE use the name "Led Zeppelin" after John Bonham died.

If only other bands would be so wise...wishful thinking, I suppose...

smaz
10-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Well, yeah, since the albums have been released under the name "Van Halen", I guess they can do it. But when you said this :

You pretty much summed up what I'm getting at.

I suppose you could compare it to some awful shoe company using a nike shoe to advertise their product.........

guwapo_rocker
10-16-2004, 07:03 PM

"EVERYBODY WANTS SOME".

Now, children - DISCUSS.

I agree bob, but this has been going on since prior to the tour.

I believe (but have not seen or heard personally) that they actually

use some Roth tunes in their tv and radio ads.

Can you say class action!!??!!:D

Halen High
10-17-2004, 12:16 AM
They don't dare use the three new songs to promote the tour.

I definately think it's false advertising and it's intentional. They are trying to create the illusion to those not in the know that if you come to a show you'll get that Classic VH experience, which a lot of people are looking for. Of course you don't.

Halen High
10-17-2004, 12:21 AM

Great point!

To entice people to come to the tour, the brothers are forced to promote Dave. And along with Eddie's guitar, the most distintive aspect of the Classic tunes is Daves vocals, and his lyrical style.

RogueHorseman
10-17-2004, 12:23 AM
...Then they will wind up here at the Army getting an education. :D

...and hot for teacher? ;)

DLRdelight!
10-17-2004, 01:28 AM
I agree that it is false advertisement. On my local classic rock station(klos, los angeles) when van hagar was coming around over here they would play roth era tunes and that is a complete blow off, but then ppl should know that they are with sammy

smaz
10-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Maybe it's the DJ's that are the ones not in the know?? Or the only songs provided to the radio stations by the record label/advertisers are Roth era one's?

Igosplut
10-17-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Halen High
They don't dare use the three new songs to promote the tour.

I definately think it's false advertising and it's intentional. They are trying to create the illusion to those not in the know that if you come to a show you'll get that Classic VH experience, which a lot of people are looking for. Of course you don't.

I dont usually respond to these threads, But this guy hit it dead on.

If the Spam years were as good as they'd like you to believe, why would they use any other cuts to promote a hagar tour......

Because the hagar music doesnt stand on its own....and never will...

bueno bob
10-18-2004, 02:22 AM
The world just needs David Lee Roth with it's Van Halen. It just CANNOT be any other way.

Excuse me now while I go cry.

badhorsie
10-18-2004, 03:45 AM
They have been doing that for years.

When DLR came to town last year they only played his VH era stuff and none of his solo material on the air.(for the ad)

The DJ's brought up how they saw him on the 88 tour riding the surfboard and talked about how great that show/album was. Then they played some shitty creed or godsmack . :(