X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smaz
    Commando
    • Mar 2004

The Kinks

I've heard a bit of their stuff, mostly from The Best Of The Kinks: You Really Got Me. I like pretty much all tracks, including Lola, which I heard was the start of their decline? I was informed that after releasing Lola, their popularity started to decline. Or it was declining at around that time. And also that Ape Man was pretty much the end? Anyone have anymore on this?? Anyone else like them??
    Moving webhosts & will be making changes to the picture hosting - watch this space..
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

They are maybe in my Top 3 or 4 favorite bands. They have so many more great songs besides the Greatest Hits. Check out SWEET LADY GENEVIEVE, SHANGRI-LA, JUKE BOX MUSIC, OKLAHOMA U.S.A., TWO SISTERS, DEAD END STREET, GET BACK IN LINE, and literally hundreds more!

Even after their popularity decined in the 70s (and before it picked right back up in America in the 80s), they were musically at the top of their game.

Great band!! And great post!!
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Panamark
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Yeah I like a lot of their stuff too. LOLA freaked me out when I realized what the lyrics were about. As a young kid at primary school
      it was a real WTF? moment.
      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• diamondsgirl
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Apr 2004

I saw them back in the 80's and their show was great!! The live version of Lola is one of my all time favorite live tunes. It just rocks!

I dig where he says "and now for disco version..." and the drums kick up.

great stuff. great band.

I love Celluloid Heroes.
        “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

they're as responsible for hard rock/heavy metal as led zeppelin and black sabbath
          Originally posted by flappo
          i'm sure grimsdale's on drugs

Originally posted by Cato
          translating your Japanese.

"Master Cato is...I order, it's yours. don't ask me to do gay material for the life of me because you kick my bat."

omae baka dana?

Comment

• smaz
            Commando
            • Mar 2004

Their albums are usually in some sale somewhere so I guess I'll pick myself up a couple. Any recommendations??? Lola has some clever lyrics in, which is one of the reasons I like it. All Day and All of the Night is my favourite song on that album.
            Moving webhosts & will be making changes to the picture hosting - watch this space..

Comment

• diamondsgirl
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by smaz
              Their albums are usually in some sale somewhere so I guess I'll pick myself up a couple. Any recommendations??? Lola has some clever lyrics in, which is one of the reasons I like it. All Day and All of the Night is my favourite song on that album.
              “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Apr 2004

track list:

1. Opening
                2. Hard Way, The
                3. Catch Me Now I'm Falling
                4. Where Have All The Good Times Gone
                5. Introduction To Lola
                6. Lola
                7. Pressure
                8. All Day And All Of The Night
                9. 20th Century Man
                10. Misfits
                11. Prince Of The Punks
                12. Stop Your Sobbing
                13. Low Budget
                14. Attitude
                15. Superman
                16. National Health
                17. Till The End Of The Day
                18. Celluloid Heroes
                19. You Really Got Me
                20. Victoria
                21. David Watts

Comment

• Rikk
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Great live album. I'd also say the VILLAGE GREEN PRESERVATION SOCIETY album is a masterpiece. It was just released in an astounding three-disc version. Brilliant stuff, and worth the money.
                  Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                  Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• smaz
                    Commando
                    • Mar 2004

I'll stick 'em on me Birthday list Cheers dude and dude-ess!

Comment

• BrownSound1
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
                      they're as responsible for hard rock/heavy metal as led zeppelin and black sabbath
                      I agree somewhat....mainly in the chord progressions that Ray Davies wrote. However, the irony in your statement is this...Jimmy Page played guitar on a few of their tunes, so does he get double the responsibility?

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I liked their early 80's stuff... "give the people what they want" is a great rocker and "noise" is like an anthem to rock 'n roll like AC/DC's "rock 'n roll ain't noise pollution."

Love their 60's stuff as well.
                        sigpic

Comment

• VHII
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Oct 2004

acually i found a vinyl of the live one in someones trash, i played it in art at my school and i loved it, my dad has some of their stuff and i like it

Comment

• VHII
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Oct 2004

yes the album cover is posted above

Comment

• Jack68
                              Commando
                              • Sep 2004

To the bone/Phobia

Without a doubt pick up To the bone a double live cd and their last studio effort 93 i think Phobia.Totally great underatted band.Very good live also if you catch Ray on a good night.Hope they come back.
                              "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”

Comment

Working...