PDA

View Full Version : New Roth fan looking for purchasing advice

Vivian Campbell
10-17-2004, 07:52 PM
First off, I would like to thank the Army for turning me on not only to Van Halen, but to the DLR Band album. Once I read the Roth rankings in your discography section, I was compelled to buy it. It’s seriously one of the best albums I’ve bought in a long time.

I’m looking to buy more Roth albums, but before I do, has Warner Brothers either remastered or announced any plans to remaster the Diamond One’s releases? If not, I’d rather just download Eat 'Em & Smile from I-tunes rather than search NYC for a store that finds it more prudent to stock DLR instead of Spam’s Three Lock Box. I’ve checked five major chains in my area and haven’t seen ONE Roth album, but plenty of Standing Hampton, TLB, and the Essential Sham.

Big Troubles
10-17-2004, 07:58 PM
I think the only remasters of Dave solo might be the "Yankee Best" the Jap version of Best Of... Possibly Eat em & Smile has been too.
Anyone want to help out with some info??

byte
10-17-2004, 09:14 PM
If you can find the un-remastered Dave albums, you should buy those instead (Amazon.com is a good place to look). They don't sound bad at all - personally, I don't think they really need to be remastered. If you're still skeptical, just pop on OU812 or 5150 and then put on the Dave CDs. That will make them sound 10x better.

Edit: Oh, and as far as what's actually been remastered, I'm pretty sure that it's just the two greatest hits sets mentioned above. If they did do any remastering, more than likely it would only be CFTH, EEAS, and Skyscraper. ALAE came out in 1991, right around the time the remastering craze began, so it's not likely that it or anything Dave released afterwards would be remastered. But like I said before, Dave's three 80s albums don't really need it.

rustoffa
10-17-2004, 09:41 PM
Neil Young put it best: "Listening to digital music is the equivalent of looking through a screen door."

Vinyl enthusiasts are there for a reason.

I peronally would stick with the initial digital conversion over a second.

I spent good money on a decent digtal to analog converter because I don't like flipping records over and the original cd versions sound better than "digital remasters" do.

Just buy used discs and crank the shit.

Vivian Campbell
10-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the info and advice Big Troubles, byte, and rustoffa. I'll attempt to do a massive sweep of Queens, NY tomorrow in effort to get every Roth solo cd. If I run into the same problems I've encountered already, I'll hit amazon - despite the fact I hate waiting for the damn Postal Service.

badhorsie
10-18-2004, 01:41 AM
EASS and Skyscraper need to be remastered.

bueno bob
10-18-2004, 01:53 AM
Officially, I don't think WB has remastered any of the Roth stuff.

For me, the only way it'd be worth it is if they included bonus tracks (B sides or whatever), maybe a few live Halen things he did on tour, huge booklets with photos, etc. As far as sound reproduction is concerned, I rarely buy remastered albums at all...for me, the quality of the purchase is in hearing the album as it was originally recorded.

bueno bob
10-18-2004, 01:54 AM
BTW, Viv, love the avatar :)

badhorsie
10-18-2004, 03:28 AM
Remember when vivian was a badass guitar player and wrote some badass riffs?

*tear*

bueno bob
10-18-2004, 04:03 AM
Yeah...it was with that DIO dude...

:D

teamaa104
10-18-2004, 10:05 AM
The Roth albums sound great to me, just get them off the internet, its worht buying the real cd instead of off itunes, that way you get the pictures of Rothman!

franksters
10-18-2004, 02:37 PM
buy the real cd it's always better!

Bad Muthafucker
10-18-2004, 02:44 PM
viv, check out amazon.com and/or ebay. pick yourself up a copy of "a little ain't enough". glamour, glitz, tough, shining, classy....it's like a greatest hits album in itself. a little taste of everything...both fast and slow. the 3 videos made for that album are cool too, especially the one for the the title track.

Vivian Campbell
10-18-2004, 08:00 PM
Well, I was able to get at least two albums today - Eat ‘Em and Smile and Crazy from the Heat. Both are awesome, as the reviews here attested to. I really think “Goin Crazy” is as good as “Jump.” This song really gets motivated to get things done.

Originally posted by bad_muthafucker
viv, check out amazon.com and/or ebay. pick yourself up a copy of "a little ain't enough". glamour, glitz, tough, shining, classy....it's like a greatest hits album in itself. a little taste of everything...both fast and slow. the 3 videos made for that album are cool too, especially the one for the the title track.

Thanks the info, bad_muthafucker. You’ve compelled me to buy it. I’ll hit the auction sites before I call it a night.

Originally posted by bueno bob
BTW, Viv, love the avatar :)

Thanks.

Originally posted by badhorsie
Remember when vivian was a badass guitar player and wrote some badass riffs?

*tear*

I remember all too well. Rainbow in the Dark is the epitome of what guitar riffs and a solo should sound like. If you ever saw the RITD video, you know what a solo dripping with rock n roll attitude looks like.

It's interesting that Viv and EVH both lost their balls around about the same time. What the fuck is wrong with Europeans? :confused:

Well at least we still have Blackmore.... oh wait...

hard rock
10-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Ive heard rumours that eagle rock or sanctuary were looking into buying the rights to out of print dave albums with bonus tracks etc. i dont know if its true or not but its something to keep an eye and ear open for.