PDA

View Full Version : Halen and Hendrix the best?

jcook11
10-18-2004, 02:41 AM
Sitting here listening to some VH live and how raw Ed was,he and Hendirx are probably the best I've ever heard.

Rikk
10-18-2004, 02:44 AM
I'd still put Hendrix above Eddie any day. Eddie was great. But he still had a limited bag of tricks, I feel. In terms of actual guitar playing and overall talent, Hendrix blew him away.

Okay, let the flames begin.

sambo
10-18-2004, 02:54 AM
I am a old school EVH fan, but Hendrix would have to get the nod. I have an Isle of Wight DVD and Hendrix is simply awesome...

Rikk
10-18-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by sambo
I am a old school EVH fan, but Hendrix would have to get the nod. I have an Isle of Wight DVD and Hendrix is simply awesome...

Amazing DVD. And that wasn't even one of Hendrix's best shows. He was sloppy and plagued by technical problems. Yet it was still amazing!

If you want something really flawless, check out his performance on the JIMI PLAYS BERKELEY DVD. Now that's a performance!!!:)

bueno bob
10-18-2004, 02:57 AM
I'll agree with Rikk, I'll give Hendrix the nod and for the same reason...Ed's done some BRILLIANT shit (especially some of the solos circa 1978-1982), but I have always felt it's borrowed from the same bag of tricks...the tapping, etc...Hendrix gets the slight edge in my book, but emphasis on "slight"...classic Ed's right up there with him...

sambo
10-18-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
Amazing DVD. And that wasn't even one of Hendrix's best shows. He was sloppy and plagued by technical problems. Yet it was still amazing!

If you want something really flawless, check out his performance on the JIMI PLAYS BERKELEY DVD. Now that's a performance!!!:)

Thanks for the heads up Rikk :cool:.. I will look out for the DVD.
I agree with your comments re Isle of Wight and some of the technical issues, but it just showed, even when sloppy and things are going wrong around him, he is just brilliant.

DaveTheSoulOfVH
10-18-2004, 03:05 AM
Hendrix is the just a blues player with more distortion in his sound; Eddie has reinvented the way to play the guitar (harmonics, whammy bar, tapping, legato etc) c'mon, eddie is a fuckin' genius !!!
My choice would be EVH #1 but Hendrix has a huge charisma

bueno bob
10-18-2004, 03:10 AM
Who's the guy in the middle? He looks familiar...

DaveTheSoulOfVH
10-18-2004, 03:13 AM
EVH has opened the 'guitar shred' era

jcook11
10-18-2004, 03:16 AM
He used to play guitar for the wahbirbungholes

badhorsie
10-18-2004, 03:30 AM
"the best"?

No such thing.

Eddie and Jimi are the elite of the fucking elite for the electric guitar.

They both pioneered and changed how guitarists (and other musicians) approach their instruments.

ZahZoo
10-18-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by DaveTheSoulOfVH
Hendrix is the just a blues player with more distortion in his sound; Eddie has reinvented the way to play the guitar (harmonics, whammy bar, tapping, legato etc) c'mon, eddie is a fuckin' genius !!!

Hendrix was much much more than a blues player... shit Manic Depression was a fucking Waltz... The biggest asset of Hendrix's creativity was also in the studio in capturing his sound. He and Eddie Kramer captured and created sounds on simple 4 or 8 track analog systems that are just amazing given the total lack of technology. If you dig into Hendrix's later writing you'll find stuff way beyond the blues.

I wouldn't say Ed reinvented the way guitar is played. All of his tricks were around long before he debuted in 78. What Ed did bring in his song writing was unique chord phrasing embellished with all the tricks you mentioned within his fills and solos. I view Ed as more of a repackager in that he assembled things in a unique way that hadn't been voiced in such a manner before.

Vanstonica
10-18-2004, 10:19 AM
I think Ed could play anything that Jimi played....but I don't think the same could be said vice versa. Did Hendrix have the chops to play Eruption?? (that's not intended to be a slight. I've just never been a huge fan of Jimi Hendrix).

pete
10-18-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by badhorsie
"the best"?

No such thing.

Eddie and Jimi are the elite of the fucking elite for the electric guitar.

They both pioneered and changed how guitarists (and other musicians) approach their instruments.

Good point.

pete
10-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Vanstonica
I think Ed could play anything that Jimi played....but I don't think the same could be said vice versa. Did Hendrix have the chops to play Eruption?? (that's not intended to be a slight. I've just never been a huge fan of Jimi Hendrix).

Creative guitar playing isn't a sport.

Hendrix's pallette of sounds was much broader the EVH.

And VAI's is ever broader.

I wouldn't say 1 was better than the other.

McCarrens
10-18-2004, 11:52 AM
I agree Pete, you just can't ocmpare the two.

But as for who I like more, well, I think early Ed kills anything of Jimmy's you can throw at it.

Don Corleone
10-18-2004, 03:21 PM
Interesting thought: Had Ed drank himself to death after say Fair Warning, how would history remember his legend???

Rikk
10-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by ZahZoo
Hendrix was much much more than a blues player... shit Manic Depression was a fucking Waltz... The biggest asset of Hendrix's creativity was also in the studio in capturing his sound. He and Eddie Kramer captured and created sounds on simple 4 or 8 track analog systems that are just amazing given the total lack of technology. If you dig into Hendrix's later writing you'll find stuff way beyond the blues.

I wouldn't say Ed reinvented the way guitar is played. All of his tricks were around long before he debuted in 78. What Ed did bring in his song writing was unique chord phrasing embellished with all the tricks you mentioned within his fills and solos. I view Ed as more of a repackager in that he assembled things in a unique way that hadn't been voiced in such a manner before.

I agree. As for Hendrix's later stuff, spot on. Listen to FIRST RAYS OF THE NEW RISING SUN or even his BAND OF GYPSYS period. There are elements of soul and 70's funk in there. That stuff was space age and ahead of its time.

Hendrix was no fucking blues player.

Rikk
10-18-2004, 03:38 PM

Ed could not play VILLANOVA JUNCTION. No way. He just doesn't have those kind of chops.

Carmine
10-18-2004, 03:39 PM
Hello!

Vanstonica
10-18-2004, 03:40 PM
Good question, Don.

Music history seems to smile on tragedy. I think people really think immortalize Hendrix because of what he could have done, not as much as what he actually did. You could probably say the same thing about Stevie Ray Vaughn (my personal pick for best guitarist I've ever heard).

Rikk
10-18-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by pete
Creative guitar playing isn't a sport.

Hendrix's pallette of sounds was much broader the EVH.

And VAI's is ever broader.

I wouldn't say 1 was better than the other.

It's subjective. Who can say which player is better? There's no real curriculum by which you can choose the better player. If I had to choose which player I prefer, I'd say Hendrix. I think he was more versatile and accomplished more in three years than Ed did. That said, who knows if Hendrix would have started repeating himself if he hadn't died in September 1970. Sometimes, people become legends because we never see them on their downside.

But Hendrix was (IMO) the best.

Then again, I'm a singer that plays drums too. I don't know enough about guitar playing except if people are good enough or not. I've worked with enough.

Rikk
10-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Good question, Don.

Music history seems to smile on tragedy. I think people really think immortalize Hendrix because of what he could have done, not as much as what he actually did. You could probably say the same thing about Stevie Ray Vaughn (my personal pick for best guitarist I've ever heard).

Totally disagree. Hendrix did A LOT. The recordings he did from 1967-1970 are among the best in rock...ever. There's no awkward period. His awkward period was before he was signed. But dude recorded more music in three years than most people do in a lifetime. The only thing about Hendrix is we just never saw him at his worst. And Hendrix's worst would still have been better than the generic playing on something like OU812. Ed truly peaked during the Roth years. That's another reason the band was better than. In fact, I would say his guitar peak was FAIR WARNING...although (yes, attack me) he did play some good guitar on VH3, as shitty an album as that was.

fanofdave
10-18-2004, 03:45 PM
hey RIKK,

i guess "Red House" doesn't show any
blues guitar talent. Get Real. That's the
big difference between Hendrix and Eddie.
Ever hear Eddie play anything like that?
No, because he's strictly rock. Hendrix,
however, could play it all.

Hendrix #1

tie for #2, Ed and Vai

#4 Stevie Ray Vaughan

Rikk
10-18-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by fanofdave
hey RIKK,

Get Real.

Hey, cunt...why don't you read the post? I'm pushing Hendrix ABOVE Eddie!! I think Hendrix does it all. Why don't you read before flying off at the mouth, squiggy? I never said he CAN'T play blues. I said he's not a blues player (as in strictly a blues player).

ZahZoo
10-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Hendrix's song writing ran such a wide path both in composition and in tone. Ed's a good songwriter in his own way... but I've yet to hear write anything that compares to Castles Made of Sand, Gypsy Eyes, Ezy Rider, or 1983 A Merman I should Be... especially on the compositional side of the equation.

Rikk you mentioned Jimi's awkward period... don't forget through the early 60's Jimi was playing and recording with Lonnie Youngblood, Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, Little Richard, Isley Brothers and Kurtis Knight playing on the Chitlin circuit through out the South doing Blues, Soul and Funk... In 65 he formed Jimmy James and the Blue Flames in NY which also included up and coming Randy California and Jeff "Skunk" Baxter.

If you want to go real deep... Hendrix actually recorded a song in 69 with Lightnin' Rod and Buddy Miles on drums called Doriella Du Fontane which some have sited as one of the earliest known recordings of Rap... Just an oddball fact most have never heard... I actually have it on CD.

Rikk
10-18-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by ZahZoo
Hendrix's song writing ran such a wide path both in composition and in tone. Ed's a good songwriter in his own way... but I've yet to hear write anything that compares to Castles Made of Sand, Gypsy Eyes, Ezy Rider, or 1983 A Merman I should Be... especially on the compositional side of the equation.

Rikk you mentioned Jimi's awkward period... don't forget through the early 60's Jimi was playing and recording with Lonnie Youngblood, Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, Little Richard, Isley Brothers and Kurtis Knight playing on the Chitlin circuit through out the South doing Blues, Soul and Funk... In 65 he formed Jimmy James and the Blue Flames in NY which also included up and coming Randy California and Jeff "Skunk" Baxter.

If you want to go real deep... Hendrix actually recorded a song in 69 with Lightnin' Rod and Buddy Miles on drums called Doriella Du Fontane which some have sited as one of the earliest known recordings of Rap... Just an oddball fact most have never heard... I actually have it on CD.

Great post!

Actually, that CD is hard to come by now. Funny enough, I have something like 40 Hendrix CDs, and I still never got that one.

Hendrix's early years were definitely backing-up other smaller talents. His 65-66 band (with Randy California) was really a very different beast from the Experience. Interesting stuff...but I would still call it the awkward period. Of course, the Experience were very well-packaged. But compositions like THIRD STONE FROM THE SUN, DRIFTING, 1983 (yep, that's maybe his best) and ONE RAINY WISH definitely show greater musical maturity than Ed has shown through most of his career. Plus, Hendrix even wrote the lyrics and did the vocals. Incredible, incredible talent!

janarak
10-18-2004, 07:05 PM
TOTALY IMPOSSIBLE QUESTION .
I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND A DOZEN TIMES WHILE TYPING.
ALL THE ARGUMENTS ARE VALID BUT HENDRIX WAS SPECIAL.
EVH KIND OF PUT THE BAG OF TRICKS AWAY AROUND THE 5150 MARK.
AND HENDRIX NEVER GOT TO MEET A HAGAR TYPE FIGURE TO BRING HIM DOWN TO MEDIOCRITY.
IMAGINE HENDRIX ON KEYBOARD WITH SOME SHIT SINGER PLAYING GUITAR????

dave_is_vh
10-18-2004, 07:26 PM
The most innovative rock guitarists were Hendrix, Van Halen and Yngwie Malmsteen. They redefined the electric guitar.

The best rock guitarist is a matter of opinion.

My vote goes to Yngwie, Uli Jon Roth, and John Sykes.

dave_is_vh
10-18-2004, 07:28 PM
EVH has opened the 'guitar shred' era

Actually shred guitar was started by Al Di Meola several years before Ed came on the scene.

dave_is_vh
10-18-2004, 07:30 PM

Actually Hendrix started the whammy bar stuff. Harmonics and tapping was done by others before Ed including the guitarist from Free.

CROWBAR
10-18-2004, 07:41 PM
Jimi was miles ahead of anybody at that time (and ahead of Eddie) with his ease and versatility. Musically versed, Jimi was, and did, could play many different styles. Ed, on the other hand, is straight rock.

They both are innovators and great musicians, giving us all something superb to listen to!

janarak
10-18-2004, 07:51 PM
SOMETHING NEW IN MUSIC IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE.
IN THE END YOU CAN ONLY GO WITH YOUR OPINION,I ALWAYS DUG
PAGE ,TOWNSEND AND EVH WHO WERE ALL INFLUENCED BY OLDER ARTISTS.
I NEVER REALLY GOT A LOT OF THE MALMSTEIN STUFF.

fanofdave
10-18-2004, 08:54 PM
hey RIKK,

sorry for the misunderstanding, mate.

i understand that you're rating hendrix above
eddie. its just my opinion that hendrix could
play as good as most blues guitarists. he was
that good.

i wasn't implying that hendrix was strictly a blues
player. i was trying to say that he COULD play the
blues and that's something that eddie hasn't
demonstrated.

"cunt"? we've hardly met, mate. but i'll fetch ya
one of my ladies if it'll settle ya down some.

Rikk
10-18-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by fanofdave
hey RIKK,

sorry for the misunderstanding, mate.

i understand that you're rating hendrix above
eddie. its just my opinion that hendrix could
play as good as most blues guitarists. he was
that good.

i wasn't implying that hendrix was strictly a blues
player. i was trying to say that he COULD play the
blues and that's something that eddie hasn't
demonstrated.

"cunt"? we've hardly met, mate. but i'll fetch ya
one of my ladies if it'll settle ya down some.

LOL...sounds good.

Anyway, it's all good, my friend.

As for RED HOUSE, great cut. But I still think HEAR MY TRAIN 'A' COMIN' (especially at Berkeley or even with its mass of overdubs on MIDNIGHT LIGHTNING) is Hendrix's blues masterpiece. Just an astounding cut.

What kind of beer you drink, mate?

throatrocket
10-18-2004, 09:52 PM
My choice would be EVH #1 but Hendrix has a huge charisma no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no . Are you sure thats your final answer? I dont need to check your profile to know your still a youngster. EVH 78- EVH 80.......intence display off electric guitar playing strait from the spirit world. Back in the day he would make your knee's nock and put butter flies in your stomach. Thats the shit! When he walksd on stage you knew you were in the presence of true greatness. Then he got famous drunk and married and lost the edge. But if Hendrix had never been born would we be here? Beter yet would this site be here? JIMI HENDRIX WAS HIS DADDY!

AJW
10-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
I'd still put Hendrix above Eddie any day. Eddie was great. But he still had a limited bag of tricks, I feel. In terms of actual guitar playing and overall talent, Hendrix blew him away.

Okay, let the flames begin.

I agree with you Rikk. As much of and Eddie fan I am I am also a Hendrix fan. Hendrix did stuff with the Strat that with the equipment he used to this day I don't think anyone can duplicate. Hendrix did so much with not as much technical hardware as some of the guys in the past 20 years. Who knows what he could have done if he continued to live. Just in that 3 year span he did a hell of a lot.

randy_rhoads
10-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Well, unlike you guys, I ain't really a hendrix fan, I am more of a Randy Rhoads fan...he was great

kcmusician
10-18-2004, 11:02 PM
I'm not gonna touch that one.... All I will say is that Hendrix had THIN tone....

Shaun

Mr. G
10-18-2004, 11:10 PM
This type of question generally gets a lot of subjective answers so I will try to keep it objective. The biggest reason why Hendrix was so great was because he was a pioneer. Steve Vai has had guitarist tell him that they could play all of Hendrix's stuff so he asks them "Yea but can you write it?". Hendrix's biggest attribute was that when he came on the scene and changed everything, just ask Yngwie. Eddy did the same thing in his way. As far as technical ability and creativeness I would have to pick Steve Vai, except for blues. Steve has called himself the worlds worst blues player. No other guitar player has a larger musical vocabulary than Steve otherwise.

fanofdave
10-18-2004, 11:11 PM
here's sharing a 6'er of fosters oilcans, yank.

pete
10-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by janarak
TOTALY IMPOSSIBLE QUESTION .
I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND A DOZEN TIMES WHILE TYPING.
ALL THE ARGUMENTS ARE VALID BUT HENDRIX WAS SPECIAL.
EVH KIND OF PUT THE BAG OF TRICKS AWAY AROUND THE 5150 MARK.
AND HENDRIX NEVER GOT TO MEET A HAGAR TYPE FIGURE TO BRING HIM DOWN TO MEDIOCRITY.
IMAGINE HENDRIX ON KEYBOARD WITH SOME SHIT SINGER PLAYING GUITAR????

Hendrix was spiritual.

Sometimes you're playing guitar and all of a sudden you're no longer in control. It's just coming out of you.

Hendrix could get there at will.

I've been there. It's almost scary.

I was playing with a friend recently and a moment like that happened and it was late at night. an older friend was playing rhythm. I'm playing lead. It was a neil young song. All of the sudden I felt disconnected. It was all coming through my body. I felt like I was possessed. It was beautiful sounding and I'm listening, eyes closed and wondering what was gonna happen next. I stopped and stared at my hands.

He looks at me, smiles and says "you can never capture that on tape"

Sorry for the rant

Hendrix took rock further than any1 ever. He meant everything he ever played or sang. Never bowed to pressure.

He drove Eddie Kramer crazy because they would record forever to try and get to that PLACE.

His journey was spiritual. Music was why he existed.

Matt White
10-18-2004, 11:23 PM
I prefer Yngwie J. Malmsteen! But, only since he's become a FAT BASTARD!!! cheeky Monkey!!!! And don't forget, "You've released the Fookin' FURY!!!!!" Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!

kcmusician
10-18-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
I prefer Yngwie J. Malmsteen! But, only since he's become a FAT BASTARD!!! cheeky Monkey!!!! And don't forget, "You've released the Fookin' FURY!!!!!" Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!

That dude has an ego the size of all the past, present, and future members of Van Halen combined! But he's a good guitarist.

Shaun

vanhalenrock
10-19-2004, 03:16 AM
Alot of u dont have a clue you are being too picky of what Eddie Didn't Invent look at Eddies overall sound his use of techniques and his style of playing NO-ONE. sounded like EVH before him, As for the EVH cant play blues comment. I heard a recording of EVH play crossroads and he flew through it easy peasy and got the feeling and vibrato of the blues down to a T. EVH grew up on blues his favourite guitarist was Clapton. Eddie Plays Rock, Blues and all sorts of crazy shit.

Hendrix isn't my favourite but.. i respect that guy as much as i respect any great guitarist, he raised the bar to new levels that no guitarist could touch, then came along Eddie and raised it again, ever since EVH raised that level of guitar playing i aint heard anyone do anything new..... all i've heard is people replicating EVH using alot more Effects and playing faster........ i aint heard any new guitar sound like EVH done in '78 no one has came along and just attacked the guitar with such a new sound and style like EVH, only person i will rate as high as Eddie is Steve Vai simply because the guy is a genious he plays his own stuff and he admits Eddie was a big influence on him, but one thing Vai never done was copied EVH & passed it off as original like almost every 80s guitarist done.

You people who think EVHs sound and bag of tricks runs empty at Eruption have alot to learn.

ZahZoo
10-19-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by kcmusician
I'm not gonna touch that one.... All I will say is that Hendrix had THIN tone....

Shaun

I don't see any smileys so I'd guess you aren't joking..? Hendrix... thin tone???? WTF??

Have you ever listened to Electric Ladyland on anything other than a stock stereo in a 92 Toyota Corolla?? Band of Gypsys -Who KNows?? or any of the album First Rays of the New Rising Sun like Drifting, Earth Blues, Astro Man or even Belly Button Window?? Or tops Hear My Train a Comin from either Live at Berkeley or the LA Forum sessions???

kc give it another listen especially the remastered stuff the Eddie Kramer cleaned up from the original masters... Jimi has tone deeper than the grand canyon.

Kristy
10-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Like anyone cares:

Here's MY guitar players of the moment:*

Johnny A
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001BS3ZW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Allegedly discovered and signed by one of your heroes, Steve Vai, Johnny A is one fluid, verstile, and incredible guitar player. His whole tone and technique is really nothing new, but it's the way he applies them that impresses me. He's been labelled as a "country/jazz" player but to me, his style really doesn't fall into any category. If you never heard or seen this guy play, then I really, REALLY feel sorry for you. Do yourself a favor and pick up 'Get Inside' - you won't be disapointed.

Grant Green
http://hem.passagen.se/daveo/Green-1961.jpg
For some reason, I've been listening to a lot of Grant Green recently. Much under-rated and overshadowed by his contemporaries Joe Pass and the amazing Wes Montgomery, Grant Green just had such a pleasing characteristic of jazz guitar phrasing techniques. He was never flashy or pushy in his playing but he could still kick the shit out of many a guitar player (no matter what the genere) today.

Johnny Marr
http://www.indyrock.es/imagenes/jhonnymarr10.jpg
There must be something with me and guitar players named "Johnny." Even though he is a friggin' limey, Johnny Marr revolutionized the concept of how "indie/alternative" guitar was to be played (too bad the singer of his first band was such a pussy). He also wasn't flashy, purposefully strayed away from solos and instead wrote some of the most clever rhythm riffs you'll ever hear. A word of warning: stay away from seeing him with his band 'The Healers' for I even walked out on that show.

Jeff Beck
http://www.musiconphoto.com/UD_10AUG01_A/JeffBeck_01_50_02.jpg
Okay, this one is a given - what an mind blowing musician! I rest my case on 'Line Dancing With Monkeys' alone!

Roger McGuinn
http://www.sundazed.com/scene/scene_gfx/r_mcquinn.jpg
Say what you will about him but really, in all fairness, no other guitar player EVER influenced so many guitar players to come (even Hendrix admired him). From George Harrison to Johnny Marr, McQuinn took electric guitar in rock to new levels with his patented psychedelic 12-string Rickenbacker and re-wrote the book on the way electric guitar was played way before Eddie ever came around

*subject to change

bueno bob
10-19-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Matt White

Actually, it was "You've UNLEASHED the fuckin' FURY, bitch!"

:D

I always get a chuckle when I think of that in flight recording...middle school anger at it's finest...but, fuck, I'd be pissed, too! Can't blame the guy, I guess.

But don't mistake me on this: if it weren't for Mr. Yngwie J. Malmsteen on lead guitar, the world would have been swamped with Eddie Van Halen clones until the end of time.

Instead, we got Yngwie Malmsteen clones :D

Still, all things considered, Yngwie's one of my all-time favorite guitarists ever. At a time when everything was just getting...blah...here came this Swedish brat to teach the world a lesson in Blackmore Acrobatics on steroids. Rock and Metal really needed something new to scratch it's head in confusion over, and Yngwie made everyone do that just nicely.

Furthermore, I think that people who say his style is "emotionless" are full of shit!

Regardless of what he does from here on out, the man's achieved his legendary status forever.

ZahZoo
10-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Actually, it was "You've UNLEASHED the fuckin' FURY, bitch!"

:D

Furthermore, I think that people who say his style is "emotionless" are full of shit!

True, but how come i can only experieince such emotions when bouncing off the walls on meth or coke? LOL Emotions at 180 mph... blink and you miss it!!... j/k some of his work gets pretty deep down and dirty at times.

janarak
10-19-2004, 07:34 PM
DOWN LOADED THE 83 FESTIVAL VH GIG ,TOOK 7 HRS BUT WELL WORTH IT .
WOW VH LOOK LIKE A BAND.
IT TOOK CHAS TO SIGN HENDRIX ,COME ON THE TOON.
AND I ALSO WATCHED SRV AT THE NEWCASTLE CITY HALL AND WAS BLOWN AWAY.
AND TO QUOTE PETE.
"WHO'S NEXT"

janarak
10-19-2004, 07:44 PM
FRIGGIN LIMEY

YOU WOULD NOT KNOW WHO HENDRIX WAS IF IT WAS NOT FOR A LIMEY.

VIVA LE ROCK

Kristy
10-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Fuck you! Hendrix was far too much of a talent. Sooner or later he would have been discovered; Chas Chandler, if anything, exploited Hendrix for his own personal bank account. Fucking limeys, I swear, trying to take credit for anything good that ever comes their way.

janarak
10-19-2004, 08:00 PM
I DONT THINK CHANDLER DID EXPLOIT HENDRIX,BUT HE WAS NOT SURE THAT HE WOULD BE DISCOVERED IN THE USA TO STAY THERE .
HE HAD TO COME TO THE TOON TO FIND NIRVANA

HISTORY IS A FUNNY THING ,YOU PROBABLY WOULD NOT UNDERSTAND

Kristy
10-19-2004, 08:37 PM
WHY IN THE FUCK ARE YOU SHOUTING AT ME!?

scorpioboy33
10-20-2004, 04:00 AM
two words....
Jango Reinhart

dave_is_vh
10-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob

Regardless of what he does from here on out, the man's achieved his legendary status forever.

That is the truth. Anyone who thinks speed and emotion can't be combined should listen to Vivaldi's Four Seasons. Or Yngwie.

DaveTheSoulOfVH
10-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Hendrix = pentatonic scale, pentatonic scale + pentatonic scale etc etc
EVH = THE new and ultimate electric guitar sound, new flashy arpeggio lines, wild intervals licks, hybrid picking-legato scales, screaming harmonics and...pentatonic scale

Eddie #1 Jimi #2

Blacklisted
10-23-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by randy_rhoads
Well, unlike you guys, I ain't really a hendrix fan, I am more of a Randy Rhoads fan...he was great

First off I must say its hard comparing musicians from different eras. Jimmy was unique for his heavy sound when there wasn't distortion or many effects for that matter. Personally I think Jimmy was pretty basic like any left handed guitarist. Which he seems to get such praise even though it hasnt been mentioned.

Quite frankly there are many innovating guitarists that have not been mentioned but this will only bring out a battle of the guitarists. Technically I think Eddie in his prime out does Jimmy in his prime.

You hardly ever hear anyone talking about Rhandy... Which is a crying shame cause there is THE epitome of a guitarist that we did not get fully hear and understand. Crying shame...

But in light of this discussion EVH takes Jimmy and all you old timers out there please dont pose the young buck talking because what if Jimmy wasnt around... Well Jimmy lived and wrote and the fact of the matter cannot be changed. We are comparing two guitarists in their prime.

Oh and by the way. No one has mentioned that DLR fucking RULES!