Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Raiders: Rice will play one final season

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Wednesday, January 28, 2004

News

Hall of Fame wideout Jerry Rice, the NFL's all-time leading receiver, will play the 20th season of his illustrious career and then hang them up for good officially, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. "I can tell you that," Rice told the Chronicle. "That's it. This will be my last year." As for where that final season will take place, Rice remained uncertain despite the fact that initial conversations from new Oakland head coach Norv Turner indicated that he in the team's plans. "I don't know what the situation is going to hold for me right now," he said.

Views

It's certainly nice to hear that, at the very least, Rice will have a chance to leave the game on terms better than the way he and the Raiders finished up last season. His fantasy value will depend largely on where he lands and/or how they address their problems at quarterback and on offense. While we do not doubt Rice's ability to get himself ready for the upcoming season, we'll have to be very impressed with Oakland's offseason changes in order to recommend relying on Rice next season.
  • Troy
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

You think he might go back to the Niners since TO is leaving?

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Rice is a great one, the greatest in my opinion. I guess ths one would come down to money and who would have the better incentive laden contract, which is what he'll get I'm sure. Norv says he would like to keep him and include him in their plans, but it wouldn't surprise me as T.O. is sure to go now. I have never read that Rice would be interested in coaching after his playing days are over, but his love of the game would suggest it. Will be interesting to see.

Comment

• DLR7884
        ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

I'll bet he ends up back in San Fran.

DLR7884
        That's where it should end for him.
        Originally Posted by WARF:
        DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Here is a wild thought that is probably more like wishful thinking on my part. Before he signed with Oakland, he was in Detroit, talking with Matt Millen about playing for then coach and former 49er offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and the Lions. Now with Mariucci at the helm and the Lions in dire need of another wideout (Schroeder and Hakim are pitiful signings, and one or both more than likely gone), he would be an excellent choice to play opposite Charles Rogers and tutor him in the West Coast offense.

Like I said, wishful thinking, but makes sense to me.

Comment

• redblkwht
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Rice had an awesome career, its time to hang the spikes..
            He didnt even make a difference last yr, i had him on
            my fantasy team dumped him 2x while no one picked
            him up..that tells you something. no offense, he is done.
            IMO-

EUAS

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Maybe he is done, maybe not. I don't know. Maybe as a #1 option, but a solid #2 I think. The Raiders got their offense figured out by Tampa Bay in the Super Bowl and everyone followed suit. That along with the injury to Jerry Porter, their only deep threat, opposing defenses would sit back and let them catch the short stuff then hammer them. No speed whatsoever to stretch the field. Garner was injured and Wheatley inconsistent, along with the injury to Gannon, it was alot of factors that hinder the Oakland offense.

I hope he does at least play this upcoming season so fans all over the league can pay their respects.
              Last edited by ALinChainz; 01-29-2004, 01:47 AM.

Comment

• Hecubus
                Foot Soldier
                • Jan 2004

He should end up in San Fran, but the Bill Walsh way of thinking won't allow it to happen unless it's a 1 day contract to announce his retirement.

As a Niner fan, my view of Terell Owens is "See ya." He's a dominating receiver, and a playmaker, but his talents don't make a team. I think he may end up in Atlanta with his old receivers coach, George Stewart, who he thinks very highly of, not to mention his offensive coordinator & defensive coordinator (now his head coach).

Oh yeah, and that Mike Vick factor too...
                I just see that transaction as new GM Jim McKay's first big move.

They still won't have a defense.
                "Honey, my shirt got itself torn up. My shirt tore itself on that stripper's hand, and I need it to be sewed up for the show."
                "No problem, Dave, no problem. Say hello to Fluffy."
                "Fuck you, Fluffy."
                "No, no, you're going to upset Fluffy."
                "I ain't saying hello to no stuffed bear."
                "You know, now that I think about it, it's going to take a little longer to sew up that shirt than I was thinking."
                "Hi Fluffy, how you been?"
                "Now that I'm thinking of it even more, it's going to take half the time, Double D, Diamond Dave! Would you hold Fluffy?"
                "N--- yeah."

Comment

• redblkwht
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Put that guy T.O. in atlanta, they wont need a D..
                  it will be called catch up ball, kinda like run or gun.
                  He would be lethat in Atl..
                  Rice isnt even a step slower, more like 4.
                  I remember him on slant routes eating every
                  corner up in the league..he just doesnt have it anymore.

EUAS

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

I think Rice will be fine next year...as a slot receiver...or a number two...

not in Oakland...with a new offense...and a new qb...no way Gannon is back...

San Fran isn't an option...he'll suck there...I could see Detroit...that would be really good for them...

I could see Philly...giving him a chance at the Playoffs again...and giving McNabb a good possession receiver...
                    we'll see...we'll see...
                    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

Look...if fucking Proehl can have a decent year for the Panthers...I think Rice can probably manage...
                      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• DLR7884
                        ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

I agree, Rice can do it if Ricky Proehl can.

DLR7884
                        Jerry Rice has earned the right to play as long as he fucking wants.
                        Originally Posted by WARF:
                        DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by redblkwht
                          Rice had an awesome career, its time to hang the spikes..
                          Yeah, but I guess it isn't as bad as hanging on just to go for a record like Bruce Smith did.
                          “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Gmoney

No question Rice is the best receiver of all time and it's going to be cool to have him around for another year.

Too bad today's players like that dumb fuck "Keisha" Johnson aren't more like Rice!!!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Dec 2003

It's just about perfect timing to go for Jerry....

Maybe a year too late, but he still had a decent year last year...
                              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...