X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

I had an idea...

I was just returning some DVDs back to Hollywood Video when a notion just struck me out of the clear blue -

Why couldn't there be a MUSIC rental chain?

Think about it. You go in there with a hankering for, oh, Led Zeppelin and Dire Straits. You look through the CD inventory, pick yourself out CDs of "Brothers in Arms" and "In Through the Out Door", go up to the counter, pay $4.00 and take them home to listen to them. The CDs are due back in 2 days, but that gives you plenty of time to burn them anyway.

It works out well enough for the movie industry. I can't begin to tell you how long I've rented DVDs, taken them home and recorded them onto either a blank DVD or a VHS cassette. Hollywood Video, Blockbuster Video, they all know it happens and yet they're all still in business after all these years.

I'd be willing to bet if the RIAA got behind this and opened up music rental chains across the U.S., it'd eliminate a lot of file swapping over the internet...sales wouldn't take any bigger hit then they already have, and at least the RIAA would be making $4 a pop every time some teenage girl checks out Hillary Duff's new CD...over and over...

Relegate selling CDs to the same file as selling DVDs and whatnot; I don't see any downslide to this sort of set-up at all, and benefits all ways around.

How about anyone else? Anybody else think this might work, or is there some logic I've overlooked that would put the kabosh on it immediately?
    Twistin' by the pool.
  • Snow Ho
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
    I was just returning some DVDs back to Hollywood Video when a notion just struck me out of the clear blue -

Why couldn't there be a MUSIC rental chain?

Think about it. You go in there with a hankering for, oh, Led Zeppelin and Dire Straits. You look through the CD inventory, pick yourself out CDs of "Brothers in Arms" and "In Through the Out Door", go up to the counter, pay $4.00 and take them home to listen to them. The CDs are due back in 2 days, but that gives you plenty of time to burn them anyway.

It works out well enough for the movie industry. I can't begin to tell you how long I've rented DVDs, taken them home and recorded them onto either a blank DVD or a VHS cassette. Hollywood Video, Blockbuster Video, they all know it happens and yet they're all still in business after all these years.

I'd be willing to bet if the RIAA got behind this and opened up music rental chains across the U.S., it'd eliminate a lot of file swapping over the internet...sales wouldn't take any bigger hit then they already have, and at least the RIAA would be making $4 a pop every time some teenage girl checks out Hillary Duff's new CD...over and over...

Relegate selling CDs to the same file as selling DVDs and whatnot; I don't see any downslide to this sort of set-up at all, and benefits all ways around.

How about anyone else? Anybody else think this might work, or is there some logic I've overlooked that would put the kabosh on it immediately?
    i think its a great idea.

Comment

• rustoffa
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

The way the industry has jumped into bed with the likes of Napster, Macintosh, Wal Mart, etc. the sky's the limit.

BTW, Wal Mart has a surprising amount of stuff for 88 cents a song....really painless process to boot.

No, I ain't a goddamned greeter or anything.

Comment

• bueno bob
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by rustoffa
        The way the industry has jumped into bed with the likes of Napster, Macintosh, Wal Mart, etc. the sky's the limit.

BTW, Wal Mart has a surprising amount of stuff for 88 cents a song....really painless process to boot.

No, I ain't a goddamned greeter or anything.
        Where's my shopping cart, bitch??
        Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• rustoffa
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
          Where's my shopping cart, bitch??
          check parking lot, you will.

Comment

• bueno bob
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

I can't lift that! It's too big!!
            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Mezro
              Full Member Status

• May 2004

That is a great idea BB; they already do that in Japan and it is successful.

Mezro...the business model is completely viable...will you boot strap the start-up or look for seed money?...
              Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

• VHII
                Head Fluffer
                • Oct 2004

my library does it for free

Comment

• bueno bob
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

Yeah, my library does too...they have a whopping 9 CDs to choose from...

Basically talking FULL SCALE CD rental...catalog of selections like Hollywood Video or Blockbuster Video, something along those lines.
                  Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

Working...