PDA

View Full Version : anyone see melodic rock?

spmusicplyr
10-26-2004, 02:35 PM
ANOTHER END OF THE ROAD FOR VAN HALEN?:
The world of Van Halen is a fickle thing and the band have never been far from a headline. The guys are currently working their way through their last weeks of 2004 tour dates - shows that some never thought would happen.
But they did, after the feud between vocalist Sammy Hagar and the Van Halen brothers was laid to rest earlier in the year. The guys finally hit the road again on the back of a new compilation that featured 3 new tracks.
There have been numerous reports of problems within the band and just as many reports of Eddie Van Halen drunk on stage.
Rumors flared again last week after Hagar appeared on US radio station KSHE, stating in an interview that he thought the Van Halen re-union was fun, but it bought closure to that chapter. He went on to voice his unhappiness with the high ticket prices from the tour and how he wished some members of the band were into fan interaction as much as he was. It was implied that once the current dates were completed, Hagar would return to touring with The Waboritas and the future of VH would again be up in the air.
What really is going on? What's next for Van Halen?
The reality is that at this point - no one knows. But I for one am not hopeful of anything continuing once this leg of the 2004 tour concludes.
Everything I am hearing from my sources - past, proven sources that have all contributed to past Van Halen reports - is negative.
Everything I hear points to a band that is managing to function despite inner turmoil. And it seems all that turmoil is centered around Eddie Van Halen.
It is no secret that Eddie is drinking heavily and has been since the start of the tour - that drinking and his subsequent behavior has put a major strain on relationships within the VH organization. As one source put it - Eddie is "unstable".
As a result, there are no band commitments planned past next month. Sammy Hagar is planning to tour with his solo band The Waboritas and could be playing solo as early as December, with further plans being made for summer 2005.
Apparently Hagar did not want the re-union to play out as it has, but would rather return to being a solo artist than tour with Van Halen under current circumstances.
I am told there are no 2005 tour plans and no album plans. All will become a little clearer once the tour concludes next month.
To sum up, everything I have heard points towards confirming what Sammy Hagar said on KSHE-FM last week. Once this tour is done, another chapter of the Van Halen history will close with it.

bueno bob
10-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Yup, old news now.

Thetruthbaby
10-26-2004, 03:43 PM
It's no wonder they're considering hanging it up. When you do a "reunion" tour that has a very significant number of shows only around half full and record 3 new songs with your "reunited" lineup that create basically NO excitement and lackluster sales then retirement becomes a viable option. Don't be surprised if these idiots release a statement declaring their love for each other again and release another studio album. Like many boxers I wouldn't be surprised if VHagar don't know when to call it quits. Since hagar thought they would have "rapid fire sellouts" on this jaunt he probably thinks all it will take is a studio album to do the trick. Actualy it would be kind of fun watching them try again only to be slapped back into reality. If they have any sense they'll stop the Titanic that has become this band.

bueno bob
10-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Actually, Hagar knows better...I've read 3 or 4 different interviews with him where he's writing off downloading and file swapping as detriments AGAINST doing a new album...basically just a qualification on his part as to why BOBW TANKED...

Right...I'd like to see how many album sales file swapping has cost Nelly or Jessica Simson (here's a hint: NONE - you never hear THEM bitching about it, do ya?).

Two things: A) Van Halen hasn't put out any quality material worth buying a full length LP for in some time; and B) on a global popular music scene, Van Halen hasn't registered for a while now, so it's not like the teenagers are lining up around the blocks waiting for the stores to open Tuesday morning...

Truth be told, I REALLY don't see that problem with a Roth fronted Van Halen disc...I think ALL OF US are gonna be crawling out of the woodwork that we've been forced to hide in since 1996...

Viking
10-26-2004, 07:19 PM
I don't think Ed has much of a choice at this point. Listen, I gotta give the Cheesemeister credit where credit's due: he knew this whole thing (or Ed) could unravel at any moment, so he hedged his bets pubically, and kept his band together and on retainer. Smart move. Since it looks like it's making that last circle in the shitty blue water before it curls 'round the ol' U-pipe, he ain't out a thing. In fact, he just got some free PR, pumped up his solo career, made his wallet a little fatter, and he'll just pick up where he left off. Ed, on the other hand, is realistically FUCKED. What's he gonna do? Call Gary back? Hire some other hack singer? He'll be back to playing 300 seat venues in a year. He has two choices: 1) Call Dave, or 2) drink himself to death. Personally, I think he's going to have to hit rock bottom and ride the bleeding edge of 2) before he gets an ass-full of reality and does 1).

But that's my opinion. :killer:

Nitro Express
10-28-2004, 01:10 AM
I'm starting to think Eddie's mental health is not good. I'm being treated for lymphatic cancer at the moment. I haven't had hardcore chemo just radioactive meds so far, but I know a good dose of chemo therapy can permanently affect a persons brain function. Especially in cancer close to the brain like Eddie had.

Decades of drinking and smoking plus any kind of chemo therapy have given us a crazy Eddie at age 50. I think the guy has pretty much burned himself out. I personaly don't think the guy has too many years left since he's back to being a drunk and a smoker. He's not a young man anymore and that shit is hard on you.

Whatever, in the end, Eddie just turned into a crazy ass mother fucker. He's just plain nuts.

bueno bob
10-28-2004, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Whatever, in the end, Eddie just turned into a crazy ass mother fucker. He's just plain nuts.

Yeah, that's worth a five star vote :)

EDDIEVRULZ
10-28-2004, 03:47 AM
goodluck nitro! you'll turn out great

kennyboy
10-28-2004, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I'm being treated for lymphatic cancer at the moment. I haven't had hardcore chemo just radioactive meds...

Dude! My best to you!

Hang in there!

K