PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Mtv Awards Reunion

janarak
10-28-2004, 06:28 AM
I have never seen the MTV awards were DLR goes on stage with the rest of old VH.
What's it like ?
Word on the street is it was not good.
Any comments ,any idea if I can download it?

bueno bob
10-28-2004, 10:05 AM
"Word on the street"??? What, are you hanging out on bowery blvd with Eddie? It was fuckin' magnificent (other than Ed wasting time telling everyone about shit they didn't want to hear and trying to steal the spotlight away from the reunion and claim it all for himself). Anybody that told you otherwise is a fuckin' Hagar fan.

Carmine
10-28-2004, 10:12 AM
that was the best 11 minutes of VH anybody has seen since 1985! I agree with Beuno here, anyone who says otherwise is a sheep!

diamondsgirl
10-28-2004, 10:25 AM
I loved it!!
When VH walked out folks applauded and then when they saw Dave they friggin' erupted. They/He received a thunderous standing ovation and Dave was the only one to take a moment to recognize it. The other band members just wanted to get on with it and announce the winner of the award and Dave was like "no,no,no, we are going to talk about whats happening here". He was so friggin cool, IMO.

I loved the way he announced Beck by saying "B B B B BECK!"
Beck was friggin thrilled! He had no problem with anything Dave was doing. And fuck EVH for expecting Dave to be anything other than DAVE!

rustoffa
10-28-2004, 10:32 AM
Yeah buddy!
I remember seeing various interviews afterwards....EVERYONE just going "hell yeah! Van Halen"!

Billy Corgan sticks out.....I think it was something to the effect: "THE HALEN IS BACK MAN"!

frenchie
10-28-2004, 11:10 AM
i 've seen so many personn here talked about this famous reunion but it's crazy not to found it on internet.i'm trying to find this video somewhere on the net.i can't believe it!

tydhurst
10-28-2004, 11:35 AM
it's always on vh1.

kennyboy
10-28-2004, 12:11 PM
That moment made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I really thought it was going to happen. I was jazzed.

But NOOOOO- the sisters fucked it up. Read Dave's "Crazy From The Heat" for the details...

Just think, we'd have maybe 3, 4 or 5 new VH albums by now. The band would be on top and the sisters would have plenty of $ to pay thier ex-wives! :D

It woulda been fucking huge!

At least Dave has maintained his dignity through all of it.

bueno bob
10-28-2004, 12:15 PM
It's truth...all truth...

thepunisher
10-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Still haven't seen it, but its probably the last time VH has had that kind of ovation.

If it happened now, a reunion that is, there would be a certain percentage of people who wouldn't believe it and another percentage who would say so what, that was then. the VH brothers have irreversibly damaged their name.

bueno bob
10-28-2004, 03:03 PM
I don't think any damage is irreversable...they had ten years of shit with Hagar and Roth turned it around almost overnight for two new tunes...keep the faith, anything can happen.

Mezro
10-28-2004, 03:04 PM
Imagine watching a moment that made you feel like Santa Claus was real, hookers were a free benefit provided by the government and an 8 hour work day could be spent between the legs of a supermodel.

Mezro...this my friend is what watching the VH reunion in 1996 felt like...

bueno bob
10-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Mezro
Imagine watching a moment that made you feel like Santa Claus was real, hookers were a free benefit provided by the government and an 8 hour work day could be spent between the legs of a supermodel.

Mezro...this my friend is what watching the VH reunion in 1996 felt like...

What he said :)

Vinnie Velvet
10-28-2004, 03:46 PM
It was one of the most exciting things ever to see on TV.

I remember when Dennis Miller announced them, and then BOOM! With the sounds of 'Runnin With The Devil' playing (ironic since, Ed looked like he made a deal with the devil knowing that Cherone was already picked as the next singer), Ed, Al, Mike and the DAVE came around the corner, walked up on stage and met the crowd.

I couldn't believe my eyes! That's fucking Dave, Eddie, Al, Mike....THE REAL VAN HALEN!!!!

Shit, it really seemed like Van Hagar never happened. It was unreal. Maybe too good to be true I guess.

And when the crowd stood up, it was awesome. THAT's when Dave took it all in and it was the US Festival all over again. But you could notice Eddie trying to calm the crowd down knowing that what just transpired wasn't real (he had no intention of keeping Dave).

And in light of the moment when they first hit the stage, Eddie ruined it with his behaviour, mving Dave away from the Mike after Dave gave a funny quote saying:

"Ya know how things have changed a lot since the last time we were up here....It used to be 'I want my MTV', now its like "Gimmie my fucking MTV or I'll blow your head off man!"

Classic Dave.

It was truly a moment that VH could've built on as in a sold out tour (promoters were everywhere throwing huge money at them). It wouldve made the big KISS Reunion tour seem like a club tour.

bueno bob
10-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
....But you could notice Eddie trying to calm the crowd down knowing that what just transpired wasn't real (he had no intention of keeping Dave).....

It's funny that you should mention that, because I thought Ed and Al looked kinda wierded out about the whole thing and were acting funny, myself...

....lo and behold, we found out later it's because they were both thinking the same thing at the same time:

"We done fucked up, here"

They must have known at that point that they were screwed with Cherone.

janarak
10-28-2004, 07:01 PM
I have to see this ,what have I been missing.
When I said it didn't look good the dude who had seen it said it did not look good from a band point of view .
He thought dave was THE MAN but the girls just looked like they wanted to be some where else.

We need this a download.

tydhurst
10-28-2004, 07:08 PM
yeah. It was good.

Nickdfresh
10-28-2004, 11:56 PM
I remember Beck looking really confused. And Eddie Van Halen looked even more confused, but he was probably really drunk. And he mentioned something about a hip replacement or Valery's breast augmentation or something. I don't know. I think I was almost as drunk as Eddie. No easy feat for us mere mortals.

DeadOrAlive
10-29-2004, 12:01 AM
LMFAO!!! Nice one!

Rikk
10-29-2004, 12:52 AM
Never been more excited watching my television than that night...especially when Dennis Miller read a little poem for Sammy Hagar (making fun of him, basically). I just couldn't believe how the brothers ruined it and tried to pretend Dave made a fool of all of them. That was their cover story for fucking him over. The whole world loved that moment and was having a great time...except for the brothers who realized they would have to share the limelight.

Petty fucks.

lafours
10-29-2004, 11:56 AM
I was working at a bar when this magnificent event happend....It was awesome.. The awards were playing on the tv set and no one really cared about it...The minute VH was announced and DLR emerged the whole bar stopped talking , looked at the screen and then applauded!! Awesome..It was all anyone talked about for the rest for the night...

Fuck Eddie and Alex!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the reaction of the brothers was

a) Jealousy

b) They realized with Dave back, the band was no longer theres...it was Dave and theres.....

Those idiots were so stuck on themselves they actually thought they were the show and Dave was just a "singer"

Va Beach VH Fan
10-29-2004, 09:14 PM
I have it, if someone has a site to upload it to, so everyone can see it...

55 fucking seconds of standing ovation !!!

The crowd was going so crazy that even the bruthas were standing and clapping !!!

Dave and Ed embraced in a genuine (IMO) hug that I still get goosebumps watching to this day...

Maybe the Van Heinikens should plop that video in, just as a wakeup call....

scorpioboy33
10-29-2004, 09:23 PM
anyone got a pic of this?

Terry
10-29-2004, 10:23 PM
Even after hearing about Roth working with the Van Halens throughout the summer on the 2 BOV1 tracks, still couldn't help but smiling in amazement when all four of them walked out to present the award to Beck.

I also remember thinking at the time it was odd that they didn't perform, but this was overshadowed by being psyched to see them together again (or so we all thought).

Alex and Mike were grinning ear-to-ear (even when Roth was "being very disrespectful to Beck"), but you could tell Eddie was less than thrilled. Dave was Dave.

The Van Halens had decided before the Awards Show that they weren't gonna do anything with Roth beyond the two tracks, and were looking for any bullshit pretense to pull a bait-and-switch without looking like assholes. Failed miserably, but that was the logic, hence the whole "Dave hasn't changed, the 1984 Dave isn't the 1996 Dave, it took weeks for him to nail a vocal in 1996," bullshit. All of which, even if true, were beside the point. Who would have cared if it had taken 6 months to a year for Roth and Van Halen to put an album out after they started working together again in June, 1996? Even if it hadn't been released until June, 1997, that still would have beaten that slab o'shit that was Van Halen 3 to record stores by nine months.

The problem with the Van Halens is that half of what they have to say in the press doesn;t make sense, the half that does is undercut by what they actually do, and the now music just stinks. Wasn;t that hot from the get-go when Roth left the band and 5150 came out to begin with, and has went downhill from there.

Van Halen has hitched their wagon to music that has been beneath their capabilities for way too long now, and the most carefully worded press statements aren't gonna change that.

stringfelowhawk
11-01-2004, 09:41 AM
Terry

That post was beautiful. Exactly what I think but couldn't say.

Thanks

I was not watching that show until I flipped through and heard the notes to RWTD..... When I saw Dave, I literally started screaming, "Music is coming back"! "All this whiney shit is over"!

I got goosebumps. I really did.. Thats not be trying to be dramatic. That is absolute truth... Its happened once since then..... When I saw the kid pull a solo in "School Of Rock"... Not for the movie, for the solo.

Matt White
11-01-2004, 09:53 AM
What a fuckin' let down!

Switch84
11-01-2004, 12:20 PM
:) Damn, I remember it like it was yesterday! I laughed at the spammy poem, then was about to take a bathroom break when Dennis introduced Van Halen. I thought, "Fuck 'Van Halen' " as I was walking out of the living room. My sister said 'That's not Hagar!' I turned around, looked at the screen, saw Davy Baby and SCREAMED! Yep, folks, I actually screamed.

"Oh my GOD!! It's David! It's David! HE'S BACK!!!"

Shit, I was so crunk with joy that I actually started CRYING!

Ed and Alex...the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet!

scottydabodi
11-01-2004, 12:22 PM
Dude, to see that MAGNIFICENT moment, then just a few months later to hear about Cherone in the band was the worst. Ed, and Al really know how to fuck things up on a massive scale. The appearance here could've spring-boarded into the most AWESOME reunion in Rock History, instead, it spiraled out of control into the pits of oblivion. Ed, and Al can KISS MY FUCKEN ASS. They've disappointed me SO MANY times that I've lost count. All this lying, deceit, and "I'll quit and take up TUBA" bullshit is like a slap in the face of ANYONE who believed, and supported the CVH lineup. Roth doesn't slam Ed any chance he gets, but Ed, on the other hand, is willing to discredit Dave with lies about his voice, and role in the band's rise to stardom... Ed, Al, and Mikey are all miserable MORONS with NO RESPECT for their fans, or the guy that put them in the spotlight-DAVE. I can't wait to see what happens next... maybe they'll hire the lead singer from Tyketto...