PDA

View Full Version : Is Dave Still Getting Fuckover by the Sisters?

Nickdfresh
10-29-2004, 12:41 AM
:confused: What ever happened with Dave's 1996 lawsuit against the Sisters? Is he still earning 1/3 as much on albums VH1 to 1984 as the two drunks and fatboy bassist or did they settle and give Dave a fair shake? Enquiring minds want to know?

Rikk
10-29-2004, 12:50 AM
Dave dropped the lawsuit. What was said publically (and what the sisters even flaunted in some shitty pamphlet that was handed out at the beginning of this scam of a tour) was that Dave dropped it. So, that doesn't mean out-of-court settlement. Which means the brothers and Mikey make way more per current CD sold than Dave. It almost makes me regret buying the remasters in 2000...but they sound so damn good. But who knew at the time that they had a backdoor deal fucking over Dave?

rustoffa
10-29-2004, 12:55 AM
No shit, what about the litigation against vanhalenstore?

I paid premium duckets for one of their longsleeve original VH logo shirts and it was good to go....the frankenstrat mousepad they gave me couldn't take the repeated lubriderm exposure and was a piece of shit though.

Rikk
10-29-2004, 12:57 AM
Has there ever been a bigger case of an amazing band made up mostly of complete and utter fucking assholes?

Nickdfresh
10-29-2004, 01:02 AM
Alcoholism. It's a sad disease that affects those around you.

rustoffa
10-29-2004, 01:10 AM
The Eagles maybe?
Joe Walsh is cool I guess, but Don Henley needs to just have relations with a fucking tree and shut the fuck up.

Big Train
10-29-2004, 01:16 AM
From how I understood it, he withdrew the lawsuit, meaning he could reinstate it down the line. My guess is that WB starting living up to their end of the deal more so than the sisters "winning". WB knew they would clearly lose a hell of a lot more than just paying him what was owed..

bueno bob
10-29-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Big Train
From how I understood it, he withdrew the lawsuit, meaning he could reinstate it down the line. My guess is that WB starting living up to their end of the deal more so than the sisters "winning". WB knew they would clearly lose a hell of a lot more than just paying him what was owed..

Probably the case.

Rikk
10-29-2004, 02:53 AM
I hope that's the case. I don't want him to be ripped off for a penny. Man, the brothers are such ugly human beings.

Bill Lumbergh
10-29-2004, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
I hope that's the case. I don't want him to be ripped off for a penny. Man, the brothers are such ugly human beings.

Yeah, it's funny isnt it?! My favorite band of all time and I hate three of the members. I think I still have a tiny soft spot for Ed.........Always holding out hope he'll see the light. Unfortunately all he see's is the liquor cabinet.

Rikk
10-29-2004, 03:06 AM
I hate Alex the most.

bueno bob
10-29-2004, 03:17 AM
This is one big fuckin' conspiracy....Van Halen has schemed for YEARS to keep us away from the truth...and the truth is, you can blame THIS MAN HERE for EVERY SINGLE FUCKING PROBLEM Van Halen has EVER had!!!!

Panamark
10-29-2004, 04:11 AM
I think Mike is Alice's gofer.

Alice : "Go let Sammy fuck you repeatedly, then get him to call me"

Mikey :"Yes, SIR, Alex !!"

Alice: "Theres a good boy, keep it up and I'll talk to Ed about allowing
you to play live on stage"

Mikey : And on the studio recordings ??

Alice: Dont push your luck you fat munchkin..

Rikk
10-29-2004, 04:24 AM
ED: By the way, Mikey, we've decided to change your contract again. This time, you'll be accepting another pay cut and accept the rest of your payments as fucks that Alice and I are going to give your wife for a month straight. Sammy can give you reacharounds backstage to make it even when he's fucking you up the ass. Then we'll give you 1/4 of t-shirt sales, bitch.

MIKE: Er...thanks...I guess...I was just hoping maybe, with cash low I could...

ALICE: Shut up! You fucking fat fuck! You'll take what you're given.

MIKE: Yes sir, ALICE, sir!

ED: Hey, who wrote the fucking riffs here?

MIKE: You did, sir!

ED: Sir? What's this sir bullshit!? Call me "My lord", you fat tank-top wearin', hot sauce-drinkin' mother fucker!

MIKE: Yes, my lord!

ALICE: And me?

MIKE: Yes, my lord of Dutch lords!

ALICE: Shut up! Call your wife up. Tell her I'm coming over and her ass better be lubed up.

MIKE reaches for his cell phone. ED reaches for his bottle and lights up another smoke.

kennyboy
10-29-2004, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
Dave dropped the lawsuit. What was said publically (and what the sisters even flaunted in some shitty pamphlet that was handed out at the beginning of this scam of a tour) was that Dave dropped it.

Oh yeah! Does anyone have a scan of the pamphlet?

Rikk
10-29-2004, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by kennyboy
Oh yeah! Does anyone have a scan of the pamphlet?

Chelle could probably give you one. She was at a few shows.:D

Dave's Dradle
10-29-2004, 03:57 PM
Unfortunately for Dave his lawsuit really was without merit. Should Van Halen have included Dave when they reworked their contract, absolutely, it would have been the ethical thing to do since he did atleast 1/4th work. Dave could have and should have renegotiated his contract with Warner's when he was a hot commodity, but by the time VH redid their contract I don't even think Dave was with Warner anymore and therefore did not have any leverage to redo his deal. Van Halen at the time they renegotiated was still one of the biggest bands on the planet and at the time Warner was struggling to keep their top acts (if I remember correctly), so VH had alot of leverage to redo their royalties on their back catalog.

So basically, legal yes, ethical no.

Banned
10-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Come on! Dave totally has the upper hand now. Van Halen has 2 choices at this point.

A) Retire

B) Bring back Dave

If they want to retire the great Van Halen properly and in the fashion in which this great band DESERVES, they need to bring back Dave. Make a new album with him and go on Fairwell tour. ONLY THEN, will they be ably to retire with EVERY VH fan satisfied and with the dignity a band like VH deserves.

However, Ed may not give a fuck...

frenchie
10-29-2004, 04:09 PM
are you who i think you are,banned????????

Switch84
10-29-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Dave's Dradle
Unfortunately for Dave his lawsuit really was without merit. Should Van Halen have included Dave when they reworked their contract, absolutely, it would have been the ethical thing to do since he did atleast 1/4th work. Dave could have and should have renegotiated his contract with Warner's when he was a hot commodity, but by the time VH redid their contract I don't even think Dave was with Warner anymore and therefore did not have any leverage to redo his deal. Van Halen at the time they renegotiated was still one of the biggest bands on the planet and at the time Warner was struggling to keep their top acts (if I remember correctly), so VH had alot of leverage to redo their royalties on their back catalog.

So basically, legal yes, ethical no.

:p Van Hagar wasn't that friggin' great; Warner Brothers dropped them like a hot potoato. I remember Edwina bitchin' about WB not caring about or supporting older acts. This was about the time Prince was fighting WB, too.

Just because you're not with the label you've done work with before doesn't mean that they're exempt from paying you the money owed for the work you did under them. Warner Brothers knew Davy Baby could get much more money from them than he could get from the Sisters, so I agree with the WB paying Dave scenario. And it's not over. Davy Baby could still sue the Shithead Sisters and Fat Mike!

Nickdfresh
10-29-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
This is one big fuckin' conspiracy....Van Halen has schemed for YEARS to keep us away from the truth...and the truth is, you can blame THIS MAN HERE for EVERY SINGLE FUCKING PROBLEM Van Halen has EVER had!!!!

C'mon, Mikey's just a stooge that plays really bad bass solos. Really, really bad bass solos.

Nickdfresh
10-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Banned
Come on! Dave totally has the upper hand now. Van Halen has 2 choices at this point.

A) Retire

B) Bring back Dave

If they want to retire the great Van Halen properly and in the fashion in which this great band DESERVES, they need to bring back Dave. Make a new album with him and go on Fairwell tour. ONLY THEN, will they be ably to retire with EVERY VH fan satisfied and with the dignity a band like VH deserves.

However, Ed may not give a fuck...

I heard Ed was talking about hiring Patty Smyth after Dave left in 1985("I am the warrior...Shootin' at the walls of heart ache...bang, bang). I'm not kidding.:rolleyes:

Switch84
10-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I heard Ed was talking about hiring Patty Smyth after Dave left in 1985("I am the warrior...Shootin' at the walls of heart ache...bang, bang). I'm not kidding.:rolleyes:

YUCK!!

Terry
10-29-2004, 10:59 PM
Might be a moot point now, in terms of how WB looks at it.

How much is a Van Halen album gonna sell now, regardless of who sings on it. Roth would probably do the most, but the most at this point may not be more than a few million copies.

Balance that off with what would be a high percentage of the artist royalty rate a new Halen album would require, and the sheer amount of legal fees negotiating the whole thing, and the idea of WB paying off Dave as an inducement to release a hypothetical future album with VH on the WB label sounds like a stroll into the Grassy Knoll area. It's apparent to all that classic VH can't even present an award (1996) or even rehearse in private (2000) without it melting down, and Van Halen with Hagar at the helm isn't gonna make as much money as it used to in terms of record sales if the piss-warm response to the three new 2004 tracks are any indication.

Dave's Dradle hit it on the head in terms of the timing of the renegotiation, when Roth was on his way off the WB roster of artists around 1994, and Van Hagar were still a viable commodity to sell records.

Thing that always struck me funny is how Roth apparently never got wind of the renegotiation until years later. Even took a few years after being duped by the brothers in 1996 for him to figure out he was being screwed and bring suit. For a guy who seems like he's got a lot on the ball, he sure misread this situation by almost a decade. Either that, or Roth couldn't bring himself to believe the guys he had worked with for all those years were capable of such skullduggery.

I'm sure the sheep will say it was all Scotty Ross's fault, or some such bullshit.

Big Train
10-30-2004, 01:14 PM
I don't think any of it is "unethical", at least on Dave's side. You have a clear case of collusion between two parties against him. It's bullshit and he had every righ t to be paid all that he was owed. Which is why it was a closely held secret. How would he have known if the others were making more than he was? Do you discuss your finances with others openly?

When he did find out, he filed suit, they attempted to play hardball for a bit, then decided they couldn't win, pardon the pun "It was a slam dunk case" and they relented and paid him what they owed to avoid more expense.

Ed probably told him in a drunken moment during rehearsal or a conversation. Perhaps a disgruntled Sam dropped a dime, who knows.

bueno bob
11-02-2004, 04:25 PM
bump