David Lee Roth : solo artist

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne L.

David Lee Roth : solo artist

I think it's fair to say David Lee Roth has had his " ups & downs" as a solo artist since leaving Van Halen just as much as Ringo Starr after the breakup of the Beatles & Robert Plant after the demise of Led Zeppelin which is to say " he's no different " than other rock legends of his stature while his " only solo masterpiece " is EEAS which showcases Dave at his finest since he has only recorded & released " mostly mediocre " solo albums ever since even though nothing he does as a solo artist " will ever compare " with those first six important & influential VH classic rock albums along with millions of fans like myself who experienced VH live in those days when they were the kings of rock but DLR is a " rock & roll survivor " of the highest degree who is without a doubt one of the last great frontmen in rock speaking as an old VH fan.
  • flappo
    Banned
    • Jan 2004

..you should be a mod

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

i don't think Ringo was up and down, just kinda hovering around the middle. when you compare him to the other three Beatles, Ringo didn't do shit.
      Last edited by twonabomber; 01-29-2004, 08:00 PM.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Sarge
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Originally posted by Wayne L.
        I think it's fair to say David Lee Roth has had his " ups & downs" as a solo artist since leaving Van Halen just as much as Ringo Starr after the breakup of the Beatles & Robert Plant after the demise of Led Zeppelin which is to say " he's no different " than other rock legends of his stature while his " only solo masterpiece " is EEAS which showcases Dave at his finest since he has only recorded & released " mostly mediocre " solo albums ever since even though nothing he does as a solo artist " will ever compare " with those first six important & influential VH classic rock albums along with millions of fans like myself who experienced VH live in those days when they were the kings of rock but DLR is a " rock & roll survivor " of the highest degree who is without a doubt one of the last great frontmen in rock speaking as an old VH fan.
        That is one long ass sentence
        ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
        The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
        [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• roger2004

Skyscraper rocked !after that it went downhil for this man .He ages terrible, i saw him in holland the netherlands and was shocked how bad he looked.He was wearing ballerina shoes and his mouth was standing open ,even when he wasn't singing or talkin.That in combination of his bald head made me think of a retard.His voice sounded pretty bad ,he couldn't hit high notes.It's good to see that he took control by getting a hairtransplant and sucking his fat out of his body.
          His voice sounds also a lot better .Still nowhere near the Van halen day's but better than when i heard him.I think he should write more books the first one was funny as hell!

Comment

• thebuldawg
            Roadie
            • Jan 2004

Re: David Lee Roth : solo artist

Originally posted by Wayne L.
            ...his " only solo masterpiece " is EEAS which showcases Dave at his finest since he has only recorded & released " mostly mediocre " solo albums ever since...
            Someone get this guy a copy of ALAE!
            "Whatever happens... happens."
            -Spike Spiegel-

Comment

• Foozwah
              Roadie
              • Jan 2004

While not quite up there with EEAS, Skyscraper and ALAE both continue to float my boat and I couldn't call 'em mediocre. Patchy, maybe...

I guess where EEAS has it over anything subsequent (and maybe that does make it worthy of the 'solo masterpiece' tag), is (IMHO) that there isn't a single dud track on there. It's all pure DD gold...

Comment

• Foozwah
                Roadie
                • Jan 2004

PS Ringo Starr?!? Wash your mouth out!

Comment

• TMR

EEAS is a master piece!

Comment

• Dave IS VH

EEAS was DLR most successful solo album by far. Skyscraper did alright but not as well as EEAS or some of the albums in VH. Skyscraper was more of a rock/pop album rather then Hard rock that VH was with Dave. Dave was also starting to get older thus losing alot of the teenie bopper fans. When ALAE was release Dave's kind of rock was out. When YFLM was release Dave started to change his style of music and did the whole Vegas thing which killed his Career even more. When the DLR Band album came out the younger generation didn't know who Dave. His last album he went for the Mortown, Techno theme turning Hard rock fans expecting classic VH out only the hardcore DLR fans bought the album. Dave needs to go back to the classic VH stuff thats what the majority of people want from him.

Comment

• vamp1227

Skyscraper was a good album IMO...

Comment

• Calderone
                        Commando
                        • Jan 2004

his mouth was standing open ,even when he wasn't singing or talkin.

his mouth was standing open ,even when he wasn't singing or talkin.
                        Yeah ...it makes me laugh
                        why he does that !

Comment

• Wayne L.

CFTH is just a DLR campy classic EP while EEAS is his " only " masterpiece creatively, musically & artistically as a solo artist but I think Skyscaper, ALAE, YFLM, DLR Band & his latest Diamond Dave are " great " solo albums in their own right by Dave if you're not " expecting " too much IMO.

Comment

• knuckleboner
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

dave's had a successful solo career. too many people focus on the "fall" from the preeminence he had with van halen as an indicator that his solo career was awful.

that's just because dave was literally the pinacle with van halen. anything else, however stellar, is still less.

dave had at least 3 platinum albums, a platinum video compilation, a gold album (probably the 4th platinum) with ALAE, and 2 more releases which each sold at least 100,000 copies. and the EEAS and SS tours were extremely successful.

yeah, his album sales have dwindled. but just on his solo career alone, he has had more success and more of a career than most bands out there.

but in the end, it's not van halen. and that's what the general masses look for and compare it to.

but those that just look for the music, can find many great tunes in those 7 albums.

Comment

• Catfish

Originally posted by roger2004
                              Skyscraper rocked !after that it went downhil for this man .He ages terrible, i saw him in holland the netherlands and was shocked how bad he looked.He was wearing ballerina shoes and his mouth was standing open ,even when he wasn't singing or talkin.That in combination of his bald head made me think of a retard.His voice sounded pretty bad ,he couldn't hit high notes.It's good to see that he took control by getting a hairtransplant and sucking his fat out of his body.
                              His voice sounds also a lot better .Still nowhere near the Van halen day's but better than when i heard him.I think he should write more books the first one was funny as hell!
                              Dood, do you have any fucking idea what you're talking about??

Comment

Working...