PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't this writer know it's all over

Northern Girl
10-31-2004, 10:01 AM
Right here, right now: Van Halen still 'Runnin' With the Devil'
By John Lamb,The Forum
Published Sunday, October 31, 2004

In Van Halen's early heyday, the rock group's "bigger is better" approach to sound and stage show epitomized the extravagance of the 1980s. Even their backstage antics were legendary, over-the-top displays of excess.

Like the time former lead singer David Lee Roth trashed a dressing room, racking up $12,000 in damages after finding a brown M&M. The quartet's concert contract banned the colored candy, listing the offense as reason enough to cancel a performance.

Such eruptions have passed since Roth left the band in 1985. Lately the biggest storms were tour dates that repeatedly crossed paths with tropical hurricanes last month in Puerto Rico, Florida and the Gulf of Mexico.

Neither rain nor sleet nor snow can slow down the durable quartet's desire to kick up some dust.

"It's under circumstances like that when people really want to get out and party," says Alex Van Halen from Los Angeles.

The drummer, his guitarist brother, Eddie, and bassist Michael Anthony have been touring since June, reunited with singer Sammy Hagar.

The lineup makes its area debut tonight at the Fargodome.

A Halloween show is only appropriate for a band known for such an assault on the senses. When asked if he's planning anything special for the performance, Alex laughs, suggesting an evening of AC/DC songs.

"Another brother band," he says, referring to classic hard rock comrades Angus and Malcolm Young.

Hagar left in '96 and later took to the road with verbal sparring partner Roth for a short-lived tour dubbed "The Sam and Dave Show."

At the same time, Van Halen trudged on with the less dynamic and ultimately forgettable front man Gary Cherone. The former Extreme singer's three-year stint isn't reflected on the group's recent 36-track greatest hits collection, "Best of Both Worlds."

The reunion with Hagar, Alex says, isn't as noteworthy as the music they're playing.

"We're old buddies, man. What's important to remember is that Sam, Ed, Mike and I have spent over half of our adult lives together."

He stresses the point about their "adult lives," saying life with Roth around was more adolescent.

"We had a delayed growing-up period, but we were actually starting to turn into adults," the 51-year-old says of Hagar's first stint. "It made for a much more deep and involved and diverse relationship ... The stresses were rather intense. Having said all that, now getting back together and making music is great."

Writing songs again

Now back with Hagar, the group is writing again and included three new songs on the recent collection. Writing with Roth wasn't always as cohesive of a group effort.

"To put the four of us in a room it was like a breath of fresh air to be able to make music for music's sake. Everybody spoke at the same time," Alex says of working with Hagar. "Music is like a dialogue and when you get everybody into the same room and you can have this dialogue together and it ends up being a song, it's just incredible … It's something that wasn't there before."

"Diamond Dave was more raw and heavier," says Kydd Ballou, afternoon disc jockey for 107.9 The Fox. "It was more polished, but lyrically a lot different with Sammy."

Hagar established himself as a solo act before joining the quartet and the addition of the Red Rocker pushed the group to another level, Ballou says.

Alex credits Hagar with shaking things up, saying there was no set list when Hagar joined, as opposed to Roth's reign when everything was well-rehearsed.

"Live, to keep things interesting, Ed will jump into anything at any given moment when you least expect it. There's plenty of room for improvement and error," the drummer says. "The last things I want to do are play the same songs every night. It becomes stale, stagnant."

Raised as pianists

Growing up with a musician father, the brothers Van Halen were raised as classical pianists until being seduced by the power of rock like Led Zeppelin.

Fans held their breath when they heard Eddie play keyboards on "1984" that year. The keys were featured heavily on "I'll Wait" and the group's biggest hit, "Jump."

"The band from beginning to end has always been based on Ed's guitar playing," Alex says. "If you can make music with a rubber band you can do that. As an artist you're not just limited to a guitar."

Initially it was Alex who played guitar while Eddie took to the drums.

"Oh, we'd all be pumping gas," Alex laughs, explaining what would've happened had they not switched. "You have to be honest with yourself when you pick up an instrument. You know when you're cutting it and you're not. When I picked up a guitar it was a piece of wood with metal strings on it and I knew how to put my fingers on to make chords. When Ed picked it up, he made music."

He considers drums not only his instrument, but his voice. Listeners often detect a Van Halen song by Alex's distinctive waves of cymbals.

"There's a reason for that," he explains. "Ed and I were in a three-piece band and to change colors and textures you fill up the spots with cymbals."

While the cymbals may be his audio calling card, his elaborate drum kits are a trademark of stage shows. The back of the album "Diver Down" features a shot of the drummer behind a kit propped up by four bass drums which was later outdone with 12 bass drums on the "Monsters of Rock" tour in the late '80s.

"It's a little bit of everything. It's a little bit of eye candy, a little bit of fun, it's a sense of humor," he says. "You get people who take themselves too seriously and it defeats the purpose of what the music is about. You play music, you don't work it. You work in the studio."

Older by two years, Alex doesn't worry about his little brother, watching him run around the stage from behind his drums.

Three years ago Eddie released a statement through the group's Web site announcing he was fighting cancer. A year later he declared himself cancer free.

"There's one thing I learned: You cannot tell other people what to do," Alex says, adding his brother is "living in the moment."

Or, to co-opt the title of one of the group's biggest hits, he's living for "Right Now."

Readers can reach Forum reporter

Matt White
10-31-2004, 10:16 AM
"Diamond Dave was more raw and heavier," says Kydd Ballou, afternoon disc jockey for 107.9 The Fox. "It was more polished, but lyrically a lot different with Sammy."

Okay, so this Kid is just another tool. FAIR WARNING polished?!? VH!,II, WACF?!? Disqualified, junior.

"Live, to keep things interesting, Ed will jump into anything at any given moment when you least expect it. There's plenty of room for improvement and error," the drummer says. "The last things I want to do are play the same songs every night. It becomes stale, stagnant."
OH YEAH! so much variety in a Van Hagar set list! BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!
They basically play the same set list for the entire tour, and have as far back as 5150. More BS from SHEMP Van Halen.
He considers drums not only his instrument, but his voice. Listeners often detect a Van Halen song by Alex's distinctive waves of cymbals.

"There's a reason for that," he explains. "Ed and I were in a three-piece band and to change colors and textures you fill up the spots with cymbals."

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
HEY SHEMP!!! Bonham, Baker, & Moon didn't use their cymbals as a crutch, you FUCK STICK!!!!

More corporate Fluff, designed to make a person think the SHAM HALEN 2004 FLEECE THE SHEEP tour has been a fun-filled success, instead of the train wreak it's been since right out of the gate.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Golden AWe
10-31-2004, 10:35 AM
i hate it so much when i hear all the hagar-fans cumming up with this "adult, happy van halen-family-crap, dave still lives and thinks like a 20-year old"...bs.

spammy admitted he's only doing it for the money.

and since when has eddie acted responsible and adult?

ever since dave left vh, all the bullshit and crap from the band and the management. really adult.

if hagar wouldn't have been in with all this dave-bashing in the press during the 80's-90's, he'd be much more ok, he just got lucky, but he went on with it and he equals to a zero now.

guwapo_rocker
10-31-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Northern Girl
"The last things I want to do are play the same songs every night. It becomes stale, stagnant."

Ummm yeah okay Alice....:rolleyes:

nosuchluck
10-31-2004, 11:26 AM
i'd much rather hear an 'adolescent' Van Halen that just wants to kick ass!!

bueno bob
10-31-2004, 11:38 AM
John Lamb...how very ignorant...

DavidLeeNatra
10-31-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
Ummm yeah okay Alice....:rolleyes:

at least you should better PRACTISE and REHEARSE them...before trying to play them...

lms2
10-31-2004, 12:34 PM
Well it helps if you remember them anyway. :D

teamaa104
10-31-2004, 01:37 PM
this guy is a horrible writer

scottydabodi
10-31-2004, 06:40 PM
I've never read an Alex interview that made ANY sense whatsoever... Al, here's a newsflash for ya: YOU'RE AN IDIOT. SHUT UP.

rustoffa
10-31-2004, 07:01 PM

So now they change colors and textures by filling up the stage with a big yellow buffoon.

:monkey:

scottydabodi
10-31-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
So now they change colors and textures by filling up the stage with a big yellow buffoon.

:monkey:

Ronald McHagar!!

Viking
10-31-2004, 07:07 PM
Van Halen had it's last shovel of dirt thrown on the pine box in the spring of '85. Everything that's come after that is like Dawn Of The Dead........

scottydabodi
10-31-2004, 07:10 PM
Viking, my man, you are right again... By the way, your from Between my wife's legs?!??!! BWAHAHAAAHAA!!!!!!!!!

Halen High
10-31-2004, 07:55 PM
Right here, right now: Van Halen still 'Runnin' With the Devil'
By John Lamb,The Forum
Published Sunday, October 31, 2004

In Van Halen's early heyday, the rock group's "bigger is better" approach to sound and stage show epitomized the extravagance of the 1980s. Even their backstage antics were legendary, over-the-top displays of excess.

Like the time former lead singer David Lee Roth trashed a dressing room, racking up $12,000 in damages after finding a brown M&M. The quartet's concert contract banned the colored candy, listing the offense as reason enough to cancel a performance.

Such eruptions have passed since Roth left the band in 1985. Lately the biggest storms were tour dates that repeatedly crossed paths with tropical hurricanes last month in Puerto Rico, Florida and the Gulf of Mexico.

Neither rain nor sleet nor snow can slow down the durable quartet's desire to kick up some dust.

"It's under circumstances like that when people really want to get out and party," says Alex Van Halen from Los Angeles.

The drummer, his guitarist brother, Eddie, and bassist Michael Anthony have been touring since June, reunited with singer Sammy Hagar.

The lineup makes its area debut tonight at the Fargodome.

A Halloween show is only appropriate for a band known for such an assault on the senses. When asked if he's planning anything special for the performance, Alex laughs, suggesting an evening of AC/DC songs.

"Another brother band," he says, referring to classic hard rock comrades Angus and Malcolm Young.

Hagar left in '96 and later took to the road with verbal sparring partner Roth for a short-lived tour dubbed "The Sam and Dave Show."

At the same time, Van Halen trudged on with the less dynamic and ultimately forgettable front man Gary Cherone. The former Extreme singer's three-year stint isn't reflected on the group's recent 36-track greatest hits collection, "Best of Both Worlds."

The reunion with Hagar, Alex says, isn't as noteworthy as the music they're playing.

"We're old buddies, man. What's important to remember is that Sam, Ed, Mike and I have spent over half of our adult lives together."

He stresses the point about their "adult lives," saying life with Roth around was more adolescent.

"We had a delayed growing-up period, but we were actually starting to turn into adults," the 51-year-old says of Hagar's first stint. "It made for a much more deep and involved and diverse relationship ... The stresses were rather intense. Having said all that, now getting back together and making music is great."

Writing songs again

Now back with Hagar, the group is writing again and included three new songs on the recent collection. Writing with Roth wasn't always as cohesive of a group effort.

"To put the four of us in a room it was like a breath of fresh air to be able to make music for music's sake. Everybody spoke at the same time," Alex says of working with Hagar. "Music is like a dialogue and when you get everybody into the same room and you can have this dialogue together and it ends up being a song, it's just incredible … It's something that wasn't there before."

Hagar established himself as a solo act before joining the quartet and the addition of the Red Rocker pushed the group to another level, Ballou says.

Alex credits Hagar with shaking things up, saying there was no set list when Hagar joined, as opposed to Roth's reign when everything was well-rehearsed.

Raised as pianists

Growing up with a musician father, the brothers Van Halen were raised as classical pianists until being seduced by the power of rock like Led Zeppelin.

Fans held their breath when they heard Eddie play keyboards on "1984" that year. The keys were featured heavily on "I'll Wait" and the group's biggest hit, "Jump."

"The band from beginning to end has always been based on Ed's guitar playing," Alex says. "If you can make music with a rubber band you can do that. As an artist you're not just limited to a guitar."

Initially it was Alex who played guitar while Eddie took to the drums.

"Oh, we'd all be pumping gas," Alex laughs, explaining what would've happened had they not switched. "You have to be honest with yourself when you pick up an instrument. You know when you're cutting it and you're not. When I picked up a guitar it was a piece of wood with metal strings on it and I knew how to put my fingers on to make chords. When Ed picked it up, he made music."

While the cymbals may be his audio calling card, his elaborate drum kits are a trademark of stage shows. The back of the album "Diver Down" features a shot of the drummer behind a kit propped up by four bass drums which was later outdone with 12 bass drums on the "Monsters of Rock" tour in the late '80s.

"It's a little bit of everything. It's a little bit of eye candy, a little bit of fun, it's a sense of humor," he says. "You get people who take themselves too seriously and it defeats the purpose of what the music is about. You play music, you don't work it. You work in the studio."

Older by two years, Alex doesn't worry about his little brother, watching him run around the stage from behind his drums.

Three years ago Eddie released a statement through the group's Web site announcing he was fighting cancer. A year later he declared himself cancer free.

"There's one thing I learned: You cannot tell other people what to do," Alex says, adding his brother is "living in the moment."

Or, to co-opt the title of one of the group's biggest hits, he's living for "Right Now."

Readers can reach Forum reporter

"We're old buddies man"

Drop the spin Alex. The truth is out, courtesy of your old buddy.

"It's something that wasn't there before"

Thank God!

"as opposed to Roth's reign when everything was well-rehearsed"

I bet a lot of the fans you ripped off on this tour wished you had put a little more rehearsing time in. Particularly Eddie!

"The band from beginning to end has always been based on Ed's guitar playing"

You know this is just so pathetic. After all these years they still peddle out this bullshit. As if anyone, other than a few remaining sheep, believe it.

guwapo_rocker
10-31-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Halen High
"We're old buddies man"

Drop the spin Alex. The truth is out, courtesy of your old buddy.

"It's something that wasn't there before"

Thank God!

"as opposed to Roth's reign when everything was well-rehearsed"

I bet a lot of the fans you ripped off on this tour wished you had put a little more rehearsing time in. Particularly Eddie!

"The band from beginning to end has always been based on Ed's guitar playing"

You know this is just so pathetic. After all these years they still peddle out this bullshit. As if anyone, other than a few remaining sheep, believe it.

Great post!

Halen High
10-31-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
Great post!

Cheers mate!

Alex is one delusional fucker.

I just wish some journos over there would take him to task when he comes up with this crap. Difficult I know. I'm sure the interviews are checked first by management before given the ok. But the media does have the option of not actually interviewing him! It's not as if they are the biggest thing anymore and they do need the publicity.

So do an interview and story that's honest and real, and one that shows respect for your readers. Or don't do it at all!

guwapo_rocker
10-31-2004, 08:41 PM
If they did an honest one, they would never get another one with

these fuckers.

Terry
10-31-2004, 10:26 PM
No music journalist is gonna put the hard-questions to Van Hagar. Why bother? Not like you're gonna get anything other than the same old bullshit, and the music does the talking in the end anyway.

Classic Van Halen was based around the interplay between Eddie and Dave. There's no doubt Ed's style was a focal point of the band, but AL just doesn't wanna give Roth his due. The sisters are convinced the band changed for the better after Dave left and they took more creative control. Just a matter of them being too close to the situation to see it for what it is.

As the audiences continue to thin and the record sales wane (would any major label even bother signing VH and releasing an album of entirely new material with anyone other than Roth singing now?), I'm sure Alex will take his cue from Spinal Tap and tell people Van Halen are just becoming much more selective about their audience.

scottydabodi
10-31-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Terry
No music journalist is gonna put the hard-questions to Van Hagar. Why bother? Not like you're gonna get anything other than the same old bullshit, and the music does the talking in the end anyway.

Classic Van Halen was based around the interplay between Eddie and Dave. There's no doubt Ed's style was a focal point of the band, but AL just doesn't wanna give Roth his due. The sisters are convinced the band changed for the better after Dave left and they took more creative control. Just a matter of them being too close to the situation to see it for what it is.

As the audiences continue to thin and the record sales wane (would any major label even bother signing VH and releasing an album of entirely new material with anyone other than Roth singing now?), I'm sure Alex will take his cue from Spinal Tap and tell people Van Halen are just becoming much more selective about their audience.

Right on, Terry... Alex, as always, is just shoveling answers to the sheep, hoping that it'll attract numbers at the box office... It's the same ol'-same ol' from the AssClown Brothers. They fight and fight and fight, then try to smooth everything over in the press with bullshit, hoping that someone, ANYONE will believe it, and buy a ticket or cd. They talk so much crap, then can't back up one word of it...

PS- Parrot Show, with Van Halen(in small letters).

DavidLeeNatra
11-01-2004, 04:12 AM
somebody should mention it...alex is a cunt...

light 'em up!
11-01-2004, 09:08 AM
Alex Van Halen is a lying sack o' scum and a fool. If it weren't for Dave, he might very well be pumping gas or flipping burgers.

stringfelowhawk
11-01-2004, 09:23 AM
I wonder what this guy is gonna think when or if, he finally does sober up and reads some of his own shit........

Being such a HUGE ASS CUNT takes alot of sauce, or it could be the last name.... Its still up in the air at this point.

Then again, I wonder if either of them have ever been sober enough to actually hear what they're saying, and if so, how the fuck could they look at themselves afterwords.... Or did they actually realize it and go back to the bottle to escape the shit they're still peddlin?