X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BARE BONE
    Foot Soldier
    • Mar 2004

METALLICA's 'Enter Sandman' Was A Rip-Off

I know most people know this but for the one's who don't.
    Everytime I think I've reached the buttom someone hands me a shovel.
  • Coyote
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Whoa... Didn't know that one.
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• EbDawson
      Veteran
      • Apr 2004

That forum thread's hilarious. Dave M. and Lars need to go on Celebrity Boxing. LOL!
      "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• Panamark
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

I hadnt heard that before. Although I believe Dave had a big influence on the first two Metallica albums.. (So is probably qualified in his criticsims)
        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine has once again slammed METALLICA over the inclusion of a scene in METALLICA's "Some Kind of Monster" documentary in which METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich sits down with Mustaine for a one-on-one therapy session, calling Ulrich "a treacherous little man" and accusing METALLICA of having "ripped off" the ideas for their biggest hit. Asked by Metal Maniacs magazine what it was like having that confrontation with Lars in METALLICA's "Some Kind of Monster" movie, Mustaine said, "The thing that bothers me is that people are booing my scene in the movie and it's kinda like, 'Listen, dickhead, if I wasn't here, there'd be no METALLICA because James [Hetfield] sang, Lars played drums and there was Ron McGovney [bass]. Did it ever dawn on you that I was the only guitar player? That I had a more integral part than you gave me credit for' You will never see anybody in the history of the world tell that little shit how it is. Everybody else is afraid of him. I'm not afraid of Lars. He's a fuckin' treacherous little man and that's why he can't stay married. That's why everybody in the band can't stand him. Their biggest song, 'Enter Sandman' [Windows Media, Real Audio], was ripped off from a band called EXCEL [referring to the 1989 track "Tapping Into The Emotional Void"; Windows Media, Real Audio]."

"Enter Sandman" currently stands as the biggest hit of METALLICA's career, having peaked at No. 16 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart back in August 1991. METALLICA's self-titled "black album" has sold more than 14 million copies in the U.S., according to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• dragonrock
            Roth Army Recruit
            • Feb 2009

Rip-offs? Until It Sleeps

Originally posted by Panamark
            MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine has once again slammed METALLICA over the inclusion of a scene in METALLICA's "Some Kind of Monster" documentary in which METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich sits down with Mustaine for a one-on-one therapy session, calling Ulrich "a treacherous little man" and accusing METALLICA of having "ripped off" the ideas for their biggest hit.

Metallica Until It Sleeps. From no concept to Best Hard Rock Video at the 1996 MTV VMAs, in just a few months. Goff Macaraeg labored for 5 years to put...

Comment

• Panamark
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

I cant believe over five years has passed since we posted in this thread !! Yikes....
              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I don't really get the Metallica thing especially after watching their film.

I think they are mediocre writers and average musicians with pretty appalling personalities.

Comment

• WARF
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

To be perfectly the whole album was ripoff.... even if bought used! lol

Comment

• indeedido
                    Veteran
                    • Feb 2004

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kdOfUcEyWqk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kdOfUcEyWqk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
                    This space for rent.

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

I think they are mediocre writers and average musicians with pretty appalling personalities.
                      You could say the same things about 3/4 of CVH from 1985 onwards........
                      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Have never been more than a casual fan of them, even when Cliff was alive.

Appreciated the way they went about what they did up until about 1989, in terms of being fairly uncompromising regarding their music, and not intentionally crafting their material in accordance with broad commercial interests (that, and seeing them totally blow Ozzy Osbourne off the fucking stage in 1986; no mean feat for me considering I was lukewarm about their music, but credit where credit was due).

Lars bitching about being passed over for a Grammy in favor of Jethro Tull, followed by their 1991 release, took the blinders off in terms of them being a band bent on making it without the active and sought assistance of the major forces in the recording industry.

Some Kind Of Monster was just a sad movie to watch. Bunch of established, pampered, self-indulgent rock stars unable to create anything without the aid of a career coach, Pro-Tools and endless songwriting consultations. Yes, it may well be typical of what major acts go through, but does anybody really want to see sausage being made? And Saint Anger was such a shitty-sounding album with such weak material (a criticism I can't really level at, say, the Black album); Bob Rock stuck around for a year and a half producing that album and that was the best he could get it to SOUND?
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...