PDA

View Full Version : Suicide attack kills UK soldiers

Seshmeister
11-04-2004, 06:11 PM
Three Black Watch soldiers have been killed and eight injured in a suicide attack in Iraq.

A vehicle was detonated at a Black Watch checkpoint, followed by mortar fire at around 1300 local time, Armed Forces Minister Adam Ingram said.

An Iraqi translator also died. Six of the injured are already back at base.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40489000/jpg/_40489435_byriver_grab_203.jpg
]British troops were controversially redeployed to Camp Dogwood

The 850-strong force has been attacked repeatedly since it arrived at Camp Dogwood, 20 miles from Baghdad, on Friday, after a request from the US.

The latest attack brings to 73 the number of UK military personnel deaths in Iraq.

The remaining two injured soldiers are expected to be released from hospital on Friday.

'Always knew there were risks'

A spokesman for Tony Blair said: "The prime minister's thoughts are with the Black Watch and the families of the Black Watch."

After offering his own condolences, Mr Ingram said: "We always knew there were risks involved in this engagement."

Scotland's First Minister, Jack McConnell, said: "No words will be able to ease the pain of their terrible loss, but the thoughts of everyone in Scotland are with them."

But there was anger from the SNP, with leader Alex Salmond attacking the ministers responsible.

'Shock and grief'

He told the BBC: "There will be shock and grief across Scotland. But that will give way to a feeling of anger as we contrast the bravery of our soldiers with the duplicity of the politicians who sent them there."

Referring to the rescue effort following the attack, Mr Ingram told the House of Commons: "US forces helped to provide urgent medical support at the scene of the incident, something for which I know our forces were grateful."

BBC correspondent Ben Brown said the deaths have left the battle group in a "state of shock".

He said: "It will have hit the regiment very hard - they are a very close Scottish regiment with a long and proud history."

Since British Black Watch troops arrived in the area they have come under attack.

One mortar exploded at the Camp Dogwood complex early on Tuesday evening. Five other "impacts" which did not explode were also reported.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40491000/jpg/_40491477_soldierkids_bbc_story203.jpg
The Black Watch turned back schoolchildren from their makeshift pontoon bridge

On Tuesday, Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon said he was "confident" Black Watch would be back in their base in southern Iraq within 30 days.

The battle group were sent to patrol new territory along the eastern bank of the River Euphrates in terrain that was not previously in their area of operations.

They expanded their operations in an attempt to stop rebels reaching Falluja.

On Thursday troops were building a pontoon bridge across the river.

The Black Watch soldiers turned back a group of Iraqi schoolchildren trying to cross the bridge, but later handed out leaflets to locals saying they were Scottish soldiers trying to bring peace to the region.

The Chief of Defence Staff, General Sir Michael Walker visited Camp Dogwood to be briefed on the attack by Black Watch commanding officer Lieutenant Colonel James Cowan.

The group redeployed comprised three companies of armoured infantry from the 1st Battalion The Black Watch, with some 500 men and 50 Warrior armoured fighting vehicles.

They are supported by a reconnaissance unit from the largely-Welsh Queen's Dragoon Guards, with around 100 men and 12 Scimitar armoured vehicles, and a 50-strong Royal Marine light infantry unit from 40 Commando.

The Black Watch, which traditionally recruits from Perthshire, Angus and Fife, is based in Warminster, Wiltshire.

Critics of the deployment have suggested it has dragged Britain deeper into the turmoil of post-war Iraq and was part of political manoeuvring by the American government during their campaign for re-election.

Seshmeister
11-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Feeling is running high here again...

Big Train
11-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Like it doesn't when 40 of our guys are killed at a whack?

Seshmeister
11-04-2004, 06:42 PM
I wouldn't belittle that for a minute but there are only 5 million of us and the majority were against going in the first place.

Big Train
11-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Nor would I belittle your soldiers...only a slight majority of us want to go.

BigBadBrian
11-04-2004, 09:01 PM
Black Watch. Is that some sort of racial term? :mad:

No, nevermind, that was a wee bit out of line...or was it considering the part of the world they are in?

Seshmeister
11-05-2004, 12:33 AM
I almost didn't respond to this but anyhoo.

It's a famous Scottish regiment that are very highly thought of formed before your country existed.

Otherwise I guess the US wouldn't have specially asked for them to go into such a dangerous area even though there are only 850 of them and the US has 130 000 troops in Iraq. They have some armour and combat experience.

As I remember they got their name because they were originally a guard or 'watch' regiment for the Highlands of Scotland. The black bit comes from their tartan being very dark.

ELVIS
11-05-2004, 12:51 AM
So, do you suggest the regiment retreat with their tails between their legs, or do support turning the heat up a notch in that region of the world in a manner that will get these terrorists attention ???

Seshmeister
11-05-2004, 12:54 AM
I support getting them the fuck out of Iraq.

ELVIS
11-05-2004, 12:58 AM
Retreat with the tails ??

Seshmeister
11-05-2004, 01:23 AM
How the fuck do you define a terrorist these days?

How are these misguided pricks terrorists?

It's just a convenient term that seems to include fucking enyone that is attacking us to try and connect them with the misery of 9-11. Everyone is a fucking terrorist now. I've lived with terrorists from Nothern Ireland all my life and these people don't fit the bill. A terrorist is someone that attacks civilians in order to spread terror amongst the indigenous population supporting a minority agenda.

Were Japanese kamikaze pilots terrorists?

If the US was invaded and finally the NRA got to justify their right to bear arms would anyone that attacked the invading force be a terrorist?
Bad enough to lose a son but to lose one in an illegal war where the people they were liberating fucking hate you is intolerable.

Everyone sits there saying fuck those sand ******s yet at the same time saying we're doing it to liberate them?

What a fucking mess.

Cheers!

:gulp:

BigBadBrian
11-05-2004, 08:27 AM
So you are admitting the UK soldiers had it easy down south in Basra, Sesh? Now that they have a little resistance you want them to cut and run? How noble. In these forums, you always pointed out how the US was getting the casualties and the UK soldiers were "winning the hearts and minds" of the populace. Bullshit.

Do you want the US to pull out also and leave Iraq as it is? Should they determine their own fate? What would be your long range plan for the region?

BigBadBrian
11-05-2004, 09:11 AM
Also, I went to the Black Watch website. (http://www.army.mod.uk/blackwatch/) Interesting Regiment. You guys rightly have a lot to be proud of. Here's hoping you suffer no more fatalities. :gulp:

ELVIS
11-05-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
How the fuck do you define a terrorist these days?

Say for instance, that a school in Scotland was taken hostage by muslim extremists...

That's a terrorist...

Seshmeister
11-05-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
So you are admitting the UK soldiers had it easy down south in Basra, Sesh? Now that they have a little resistance you want them to cut and run? How noble. In these forums, you always pointed out how the US was getting the casualties and the UK soldiers were "winning the hearts and minds" of the populace. Bullshit.

Do you want the US to pull out also and leave Iraq as it is? Should they determine their own fate? What would be your long range plan for the region?

I'm not saying they had it easy. Who knows the balance between the "Hearts and Minds" campaign in the South working and the difference in attitudes further North.

What is for sure is that there is no chance of doing the same where they are now because it's too late.

My strategy is to say "we're leaving by Christmas sort it out yourselves or with the UN.

But then my strategy isn't motivated by oil or saving politicians red faces.