X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris
    Roadie
    • Jan 2004

Reprinted Toronto Sun reveiew

I've had this old review kicking around from the Diver Down tour. It was clipped from the Toronto Sun newspaper the night after Van Halen played Maple Leaf Gardens. I'd scan it for y'all to see, but I doubt it would be readable. Unfortunately, the date is chopped off the top of the article, but I'm guessing it's would have been written the night after the October 26, 1982 concert, when Van Halen played MLG.

It was written by Peter Goddard who I gather was the music columinist for the Sun at the time.

Anyway, here it goes, typos and all. I hope everyone enjoys it.

Real men don't just rock they strut with Van Halen

It's hard times for men these days.

Everywhere you look masculinity's under seige. There's Lite beer and fancy low-tar cigarettes the Marlboro man would think are sissy. Woman are allowed into what once were all-male clubs; they even have their own strip joints and body building programs. Even the title of the current publishing success, the supposedly pro-male Real Man Don't eat quiche and welter-weight stuff like low-cal salads.

Only one masculine enclave has remained untouched-the kind of rock they call heavy metal, a genre practised to amazing effect by Van Halen last night at Maple Leaf Gardens. It's the last outpost of semi-civilization, where men are capital-M men and woman go absolutely nuts at the thought of it. It's also where a strutting, lion-maned singer named David Lee Roth rules the roost. But more of him later.

Test of courage

There were, in fact, a good number of young women scattered throughout the crown of 17,000 last night. And it was their response which was the loudest when Roth pranced around in his leather pants with the buttocks cut out. Nevertheless, last night was fundamentally the guy's night out. It was sporting. It was a test of courage. It was as tough as a hockey puck in the teeth. It was a little louder, though. And more fun.

But first a few facts. Your basic heavy metal crowd makes a hockey audience look like a bunch of wimps. It makes hockey players look like wimps. While walking along Carleton St. last night, I passed by two fist fights that Tiger Williams wouldn't have wanted any part of. And they were between friends, too.

Inside, despite police searches, bottles were everywhere. Some were used for drinking, others for offering a cautionary tap on the head for those folks standing in front of you.

Sociologists might have suggested many in this crowd were merely venting pent up frustration not that any sociologist would have wandered inside. They may be right though. This was, to quote the heavy metal freak in the seat in front of me, "an honest-to-God, you-know-what-you-can-do-with school blast out...!"

After (they) have pummeled everyone for well over an hour, even Roth gave his seal of approval. "You know", he bellowed, "when we go out on tour we play just about every city in the world. And Toronto---you make more noise than any three put together."

More noise! Oh joy! Even unto bliss. Those already standing on their chairs climbed up on those standing on their chairs. Such an accolade!

There's heavy metal and there's heavy metal, and this California quartet practises the revisionist kind, which allows a certain amount of experimentation. Heavy metal is an idea as much as it's music. It's about the essence of rock. It's meant to be loud, abrasive, offensive, and a thrill-a-second. It's not meant to be subtle. It is, as the late rock critic Lester Bangs once wrote, "technically nihilism". Socially, it's basically working class. Visually, it’s the superb French comic book, Metal Hurlant or Roth, bare chested and muscles flexed, a life sized Conan the Barbarian. Musically, it's the one thing above else---LOUD!
    But Van Halen have been trying to make it something else as well. They've been trying to broaden it's----and their-----musical base, recording such pieces as the Kinks' You Really Got Me or offering last night Roy Orbison's Pretty Woman, music in short, that goes beyond the mind-rotting uniformity of much heavy metal.

Sheer Din

But while Rush figured a way to push and pound, Van Halen really haven't. And for the most part, last night was sheer din from beginning to end.
    This wasn't exactly a fault of the sound system but exactly what the band intended, as it intended its minutes-long bass, drum and guitar solos, although they were well-played automatically.

This wasn't a concert to be listened to. It was a rite to participate in.
    The last of the basically male rites.
    Last edited by Chris; 11-07-2004, 03:54 PM.
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Awesome post! They were great in Buffalo in 1984!

Comment

• Chris
      Roadie
      • Jan 2004

The thing I noticed when I dug it out to post it, is that the columnist never mentions any of the members of the band except Dave.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2004

Re: Reprinted Toronto Sun review

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris
        [B]I've had this old review kicking around from the Diver Down tour. It was clipped from the Toronto Sun newspaper the night after Van Halen played Maple Leaf Gardens. I'd scan it for y'all to see, but I doubt it would be readable. Unfortunately, the date is chopped off the top of the article, but I'm guessing it's would have been written the night after the October 26, 1982 concert, when Van Halen played MLG.

It was written by Peter Goddard who I gather was the music columinist for the Sun at the time.

Hey cool article.I came across the same one in my old CVH scrapbook from the glory days.A couple good pics were printed too. If you have them could you post 'em for us ? I would but my scanner is toast.
        I was at that show .Front row in front of Ed.
        Killer show !!!
        Thanks
        Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• johnnybaby
          Roth Army Recruit
          • Nov 2004

I was at that show October 26, 1982 and still have the ticket stub. I will never forget the electricity of the crowd that night. The band was awesome and DLR was exceptional with all his energy and showmanship. There is no comparison to this era when DLR was in his prime.

Comment

• Chris
            Roadie
            • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Reprinted Toronto Sun review

[QUOTE]Originally posted by diamondjimi
            [B]
            Originally posted by Chris
            I've had this old review kicking around from the Diver Down tour. It was clipped from the Toronto Sun newspaper the night after Van Halen played Maple Leaf Gardens. I'd scan it for y'all to see, but I doubt it would be readable. Unfortunately, the date is chopped off the top of the article, but I'm guessing it's would have been written the night after the October 26, 1982 concert, when Van Halen played MLG.

Hey cool article.I came across the same one in my old CVH scrapbook from the glory days.A couple good pics were printed too. If you have them could you post 'em for us ? I would but my scanner is toast.
            I was at that show .Front row in front of Ed.
            Killer show !!!
            Thanks
            I would try to scan the pics except the article is laminated. I just have one of Dave, it's kind of a close up shot. The article is at my cottage, I'll bring it home next weekend and I'll try to scan it.

Comment

• Matt White
              • Jun 2004

Great article Chris. I love this part:"
              Sociologists might have suggested many in this crowd were merely venting pent up frustration not that any sociologist would have wandered inside. They may be right though. This was, to quote the heavy metal freak in the seat in front of me, "an honest-to-God, you-know-what-you-can-do-with school blast out...!"

HAHA!!! What did DAVE used to say? "Some people go to hockey games, some go to Church,...the rest come to see VAN HALEN!"

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Apr 2004

Great article...brings back great memories!!!

"It was as tough as a hockey puck in the teeth. It was a little louder, though. And more fun."
                “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• Chris
                  Roadie
                  • Jan 2004

I hadn't read that article in quite a while. And when I re-read it to type it out for y'all, there were two things I noticed. The first, was that the reviewer didn't really review the concert in the regular sense. He seemed to more comment on the vibe and the attitude that he felt at it, and how that vibe, was different and somewhat in conflict with the socital norm of the time, at least as he perceived it. And more importantly, he never talks about Eddie's playing, or mentions any of the other members of the band.

And that's really consistent with how I remember Van Halen at that time. To give you some perspective, I was 15 when this concert happened. And I remember being in high school, and we just didn't think of Van Halen as Eddie's band as many people seem to now. We more thought of Van Halen as a great band, clearly lead by DLR. To us, Eddie was an amazing, incredible, quitar player but we felt like he was Dave's axeman.

Perhaps others will feel differently, but that's really how my friends and myself thought of VH, at least as I remember it.

Comment

• DLR_EngineRoom
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2004

Anyway, here it goes, typos and all. I hope everyone enjoys it.

Real men don't just rock they strut with Van Halen

It's hard times for men these days.

Everywhere you look masculinity's under seige. There's Lite beer and fancy low-tar cigarettes the Marlboro man would think are sissy. Woman are allowed into what once were all-male clubs; they even have their own strip joints and body building programs. Even the title of the current publishing success, the supposedly pro-male Real Man Don't eat quiche and welter-weight stuff like low-cal salads.

Only one masculine enclave has remained untouched-the kind of rock they call heavy metal, a genre practised to amazing effect by Van Halen last night at Maple Leaf Gardens. It's the last outpost of semi-civilization, where men are capital-M men and woman go absolutely nuts at the thought of it. It's also where a strutting, lion-maned singer named David Lee Roth rules the roost. But more of him later.

Test of courage

There were, in fact, a good number of young women scattered throughout the crown of 17,000 last night. And it was their response which was the loudest when Roth pranced around in his leather pants with the buttocks cut out. Nevertheless, last night was fundamentally the guy's night out. It was sporting. It was a test of courage. It was as tough as a hockey puck in the teeth. It was a little louder, though. And more fun.

But first a few facts. Your basic heavy metal crowd makes a hockey audience look like a bunch of wimps. It makes hockey players look like wimps. While walking along Carleton St. last night, I passed by two fist fights that Tiger Williams wouldn't have wanted any part of. And they were between friends, too.

Inside, despite police searches, bottles were everywhere. Some were used for drinking, others for offering a cautionary tap on the head for those folks standing in front of you.

After (they) have pummeled everyone for well over an hour, even Roth gave his seal of approval. "You know", he bellowed, "when we go out on tour we play just about every city in the world. And Toronto---you make more noise than any three put together."

More noise! Oh joy! Even unto bliss. Those already standing on their chairs climbed up on those standing on their chairs. Such an accolade!

There's heavy metal and there's heavy metal, and this California quartet practises the revisionist kind, which allows a certain amount of experimentation. Heavy metal is an idea as much as it's music. It's about the essence of rock. It's meant to be loud, abrasive, offensive, and a thrill-a-second. It's not meant to be subtle. It is, as the late rock critic Lester Bangs once wrote, "technically nihilism". Socially, it's basically working class. Visually, it’s the superb French comic book, Metal Hurlant or Roth, bare chested and muscles flexed, a life sized Conan the Barbarian. Musically, it's the one thing above else---LOUD!
                    But Van Halen have been trying to make it something else as well. They've been trying to broaden it's----and their-----musical base, recording such pieces as the Kinks' You Really Got Me or offering last night Roy Orbison's Pretty Woman, music in short, that goes beyond the mind-rotting uniformity of much heavy metal.

Sheer Din

But while Rush figured a way to push and pound, Van Halen really haven't. And for the most part, last night was sheer din from beginning to end.
                    This wasn't exactly a fault of the sound system but exactly what the band intended, as it intended its minutes-long bass, drum and guitar solos, although they were well-played automatically.

This wasn't a concert to be listened to. It was a rite to participate in.
                    The last of the basically male rites.
                    Hey Chris!

Can you eMail me a scan of this review?

check your IM box for my eMail.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
                    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
                    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
                    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• Chris
                      Roadie
                      • Jan 2004

Hey Dave,

It's at my cottage. If I go up this weekend I'll bring it home and see if I can get it to scan. If I can, I'll send it over to you.

Comment

• DLR_EngineRoom
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2004

Hey Dave,

It's at my cottage. If I go up this weekend I'll bring it home and see if I can get it to scan. If I can, I'll send it over to you.
                        Thanx Yuz!
                        http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
                        http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
                        http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• Chris
                          Roadie
                          • Jan 2004

Here are a couple of scans of the actual article. I cleaned it up a bit with photoshop.

Comment

• Chris
                            Roadie
                            • Jan 2004

This was the pic that went along with the article.

Comment

Working...