View Full Version : Dean calls for return to 'core values'

FORD
11-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Monday, November 8, 2004
Dean calls for return to 'core values'
By Linzi Sheldon, The Dartmouth Staff

Chip Roundtree/The Dartmouth Senior Staff
http://www.thedartmouth.com/photos/2004/11/08/2004-11-08news1_1sm.jpg
Howard Dean called for Democrats to reach out to southern evangelical Christians, a group that overwhelmingly voted Republican in 2004.

Former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean visited Dartmouth for the second time in less than a week Sunday, passionately speaking to an overflow crowd at Alumni Hall about the Democratic Party's need for change and a commitment to its core values, in light of Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry's recent defeat.

"There will not be retreat on behalf of the Democratic Party," Dean said, exhorting the audience to make the United States the strongest nation in the world in moral values and moral leadership.

Dean emphasized the importance of the Democratic Party's commitment to its core values and principles, saying that the nation did not need "two Republican parties." He was emphatic about not sacrificing Democratic values for public appeal.

"We are in the middle -- we can't do this anymore. We have come too far," he said.

He called Kerry's loss an opportunity to fix the Democratic Party properly, by rebuilding and restructuring but not losing sight of its principles.

"We are so desperate to win that sometimes we forget what we're supposed to stand for," Dean said.

Dean, who heads the grassroots political organization Democracy For America, referred to the strong base of over 50 million Kerry supporters the Democratic Party needs to organize. He mentioned that it was a party mistake and a mark of its timidity to focus on key swing states rather than running a strong "50-state campaign" in the recent election.

Dean emphasized the importance of appealing to Southern evangelical Christians, who he said hold more common values with Democrats than Republicans. Echoing rhetoric from his Dartmouth appearance last week, Dean said Republicans focus on "guns, God, gays and abortion," issues that divide and frighten the American people rather than unite them.

Democrats and evangelical Christians are both concerned about economic stability, jobs and job opportunities and education, Dean said, adding that Americans need to stop dividing themselves through religion.

Dean argued that President Bush's 51 percent of the vote was not a mandate and that the nation was not as divided as the blue and red map might indicate. According to Dean, one of the Democrats' main concerns should be uniting the nation as a moral America that will regain its respect and leadership in the international community.

The former governor appeared optimistic and enthusiastic about Democratic chances for 2008, saying that there was plenty to do between now and the next presidential election.

link (http://www.thedartmouth.com/article.php?aid=2004110801010)

diamondD
11-08-2004, 12:54 PM
I hope he's right and the Dems get their shit together, but it's highly doubtful he'll be the one to lead them to the promised land.

ELVIS
11-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Shut the heck up Dean!

Core values won this election...

The people spoke, conservatism RULES!

:ELVIS:

BigBadBrian
11-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Dean emphasized the importance of appealing to Southern evangelical Christians, who he said hold more common values with Democrats than Republicans. Echoing rhetoric from his Dartmouth appearance last week, Dean said Republicans focus on "guns, God, gays and abortion," issues that divide and frighten the American people rather than unite them.

Interesting. A direct contrast to all the hate I've been reading against Christians on most of the liberal websites. :gulp:

FORD
11-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Shut the heck up Dean!

Core values won this election...

The people spoke, conservatism RULES!

:ELVIS:

So your "core values" are lies, murder, and treason??

Because those are the "values" of the BCE.

FORD
11-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Interesting. A direct contrast to all the hate I've been reading against Christians on most of the liberal websites. :gulp:

This has been Dean's message all along. Remember when the DLC shitbags reamed him for reaching out to the "guys with Confederate flags on their pickup tyrucks"

diamondD
11-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Yeah, and he buckled and apologized for it.

Lou
11-08-2004, 02:26 PM
Unless the Dems put up a pro-life, pro-family values candidate they will not reach out to evangelicals. I know of exactly one Democrat that's pro-life, Bob Casey Jr. here in PA. Name me some others because they're virtually non-existent.

FORD
11-08-2004, 02:53 PM
Harry Reid
Dennis Kucinich
FORD (I'm consistently Pro Life, not conveniently like Junior is. )

FORD
11-08-2004, 02:56 PM
BTW, I'll bet none of the Busheep are aware of this, but abortions have actually increased under the so-called "Pro-Life" BCE, after an 8 year decline under the Clinton White House.

Why is this?

IT'S THE ECONOMY, STUPID!!!

People who aren't broke and starving make less desperate decisions.

fanofdave
11-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Henry Reid, Dennis Kucinich and Focused On Republican Decisiveness.......one of these things is not like the other.

Ol' Henry and Denny don't spew the vile hatred for BUSH
like you do, though. They can accept their party's defeat
and move on with hopes to contribute to better things for
America over the next four years. Why stew in your own
festering agony and discontent when you can jump on their
wagons and move forward?

The choice is yours: a big, warm Republican hug to get
you all fuzzy and in line with mainstream
America....... OR.......

a Democratic tampon to help sop up
all that bleeding and tears you're
suffering from........

John Ashcroft
11-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaarrrrrghhhhhhhh!!!!

McCarrens
11-08-2004, 04:12 PM
FORD (I'm consistently Pro Life, not conveniently like Junior is. )

You're as pro-life as Kerry is.

FORD
11-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by McCarrens
You're as pro-life as Kerry is.

Don't presume to know what I believe unless I have specifically said so. And I know I have not done so since you have been on this board, because I purposely avoid threads on that topic, due to the massive hypocrisy on BOTH sides of that issue.

BTW, this thread will NOT degenerate into one of those discussions, as this is a discussion about a great man who should be President of The United States, Dr. Howard Dean.

Guitar Shark
11-08-2004, 04:24 PM
BTW, this thread will NOT degenerate into one of those discussions, as this is a discussion about a great man who should be President of The United States, Dr. Howard Dean.

I don't know him personally so can't say whether he's a great man. But I can't ever see him becoming president. Shit dude, HILLARY has a better chance than he does, and I can't see that happening either.

ODShowtime
11-08-2004, 05:15 PM
whoever is next up I'm sure they'll be an asshole

Cathedral
11-08-2004, 05:16 PM
So your "core values" are lies, murder, and treason??

Because those are the "values" of the BCE.

Sorry bro, but neither side of the isle is without some bloody hands, that much we know is wrong with this country.

Dean can just forget about reaching out to Christians with some of the policies the Democrats live by, it ain't gonna happen for them without some "core" changes in the party platform.

And don't we always hear this same speech from Democrats shortly after they have lost big?

Seems he would have been better off being honest by saying the DNC needs to learn how to "pander" to the Christians.

The true believer experiences an inner peace that nobody but God understands, and will not be fooled by pandering politicians.
I know people that are so full of the spirit that blessings fall from the sky for them because they are filled with the holy spirit and obedient to God.

I only pray that some day i am worthy of that blessing because without it, we are all just walking in the dark full of doubt.
I'm guilty of it myself, so i cannot call myself a Christian.
I do know a lot of them, some are false in their faith, while other just glow with complete peace of mind.

Y'all got a lot of work to do before '08, so don't spend your time spinning your wheels trying to rationalize what happened last week.
You don't have time to spin anything around to your favor without maing some changes.

Elvis was half right, Core Value's won part of this election, but most of all it was an uprising, small as it was, it was an uprising of the moral thinkers that we have had enough of the liberal rape of the Cosntitution.
You are going to be run out of Washington if you don't get in touch with the American People, not just "your" people.

Argue all you want, facts are facts, and history is working against the Democrats on their current path.
You'd think that with the continuous loss of seats, this would start a bell ringing in your heads.
But good for us you are to pre-occupied attacking that which you cannot change...Is it denial or what?

Steve Savicki
11-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Are the Christians that voted Republican the ones that want money beyond what a normal minister's salary is?

FORD
11-08-2004, 05:31 PM
These right wing republican ministers are hardly itinerant preachers like JC and his Posse were. They live in mansions and drive luxury cars, all based on tax free money which they swindle out of senior citizens and other gullibles.

ODShowtime
11-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Elvis was half right, Core Value's won part of this election, but most of all it was an uprising, small as it was, it was an uprising of the moral thinkers that we have had enough of the liberal rape of the Cosntitution.

"moral thinkers":monekyr:

jhale667
11-08-2004, 05:39 PM
While we're on the subject of 'raping the constitution'---isn't it your guy who wants an amendment banning gay marriage? The same party that wants an amendment banning flag burning (I'm not for it; I just thank God I live in a country where dissent is allowed!)?!?!?

ELVIS
11-08-2004, 05:40 PM
These right wing republican ministers are hardly itinerant preachers like JC and his Posse were. They live in mansions and drive luxury cars, all based on tax free money which they swindle out of senior citizens and other gullibles.

You have no idea what you're babbling about...:rolleyes:

FORD
11-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
You have no idea what you're babbling about...:rolleyes:

Could you see Jesus Christ preaching to His audience from the set of Trinity Broadcasting Network's studios, which are made to look like a multi-millionaire's mansion?

Could you see our Lord and Savior riding the waterslide at Jim & Tammy's PTL amusement park??

Can you imagine a man who was literally born in a barn and who spent the last 3 years of his life homeless and unemployed belonging to the "Christian Coalition" which solicits money from millionaires to advance hatred???

There is just something decidedly ANTI-Christ about the entire way these false prophets do business.

McCarrens
11-08-2004, 05:51 PM

Those who believe this are as foolish as though who thin that Micheal Moore is just a "regualr guy with a videocamera" who lives in a dump above a Baby Gap and works hard to make this country, and not himself, better.

In other words, idiots like you...I have never heard of the Apostles called a "posse." While there is nothing wrong with it, why don't you just call them a "clan"?

FORD
11-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by McCarrens

In other words, idiots like you...I have never heard of the Apostles called a "posse." While there is nothing wrong with it, why don't you just call them a "clan"?

I wouldn't want some of you Red staters to confuse them with these guys......
http://www.law.du.edu/jenkins/images/kkk.gif

Cathedral
11-08-2004, 06:20 PM

I agree with you somewhat on this issue.
Corporate Churches do little for me because they are only focused on money.
Our church was like that until the Pastor started using guilt trips to make people pay up.
The people started to stay home or seek more humble churches that left it up to the scripture to promote offerings which led to the Pastors removal.
The guy who replaced him is 33 years old, moves in the spirit, and doesn't harp about money.
I have never seen the place so packed on a regular basis because his message is simple, blunt, and to the point.

I am always looking for a new church to sit in on the service.

When Jesus walked this earth he relied on the generosity of others, so he never had to do without much of what he needed to be sustained.
I don't recall anything indicating he was beating people over the head for offerings.

I don't want to hear what i want to hear, I want to hear the truth.

Avoid TBN and networks that pander in high profit religion and you'll be much better off.

Cathedral
11-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
"moral thinkers":monekyr:

It's that attitude that has led us to exactly where we are, bro.

A Class-A American Citizen you are NOT!

Normally i'd get angry with statements like that, and countless others you spew her...But i'll just pray for you instead.

Have a great evening...

BrownSound1
11-08-2004, 08:21 PM
Could you see Jesus Christ preaching to His audience from the set of Trinity Broadcasting Network's studios, which are made to look like a multi-millionaire's mansion?

Could you see our Lord and Savior riding the waterslide at Jim & Tammy's PTL amusement park??

Can you imagine a man who was literally born in a barn and who spent the last 3 years of his life homeless and unemployed belonging to the "Christian Coalition" which solicits money from millionaires to advance hatred???

There is just something decidedly ANTI-Christ about the entire way these false prophets do business.

Now this is something I agree with you on FORD, except don't believe that all Christians that vote Republican are like the ones you mentioned.

John Ashcroft
11-08-2004, 08:37 PM
http://www.law.du.edu/jenkins/images/kkk.gif

Hey, I think I see Robert Byrd in this pic!

Yep, I'm sure of it! He's the dude positioned front and center to the left.

FORD
11-08-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Hey, I think I see Robert Byrd in this pic!

Yep, I'm sure of it! He's the dude positioned front and center to the left.

How the fuck would you know that?? They all look about the same with their bedsheets on.

JCOOK
11-09-2004, 12:53 AM
He's the one with the"FIDDLE" as he calls it..... Look every one of has to pay for what we have done. Love your neihgbor as you love yourself, bless those that curse you. Bottom line you and only you have your relationship with GOD....See you in the next life!

aesop
11-09-2004, 01:41 AM

...Just like the Rev. Jackson. You can take him, Quasi Infume (or however the heck you spell his name), and all of the black so-called 'religious' leaders are the real hippocrites.

Except they swindle money from minorities. Just like the good 'ole DNC. Hell JJ won't even release the books for his 'Rainblow Coalition' to the public because he knows he'd be lynched.

Anyways most ministers are very dedicated, make no money, and have way more dedication than most of us have. It's just a few crazies that give all of them (apparently) a bad name.

aesop
11-09-2004, 02:01 AM
Monday, November 8, 2004
Dean calls for return to 'core values'
By Linzi Sheldon, The Dartmouth Staff

link (http://www.thedartmouth.com/article.php?aid=2004110801010)

Immpossible to return to a core value when you have none. You think Stuart Smalley would know a core value? How about WoppieAss Goldpuke. Yea go grab your crotch a few more times.

Bottom line: When you have to please all of the whaco's in the world by making every person except caucasion christians a 'minority', you're basically screwed.