X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

The Dark Tower Series

During my couple days off from here due to the flu, I had a chance to pick up part 7 and read all the way through it...after 20 years of reading this series, it finally comes to it's conclusion.

OH MY GOD!!!!

NEVER in a million years did I see it ending like THAT!!

No spoilers contained for anybody who isn't reading it or hasn't gotten through part 7 yet.

If you haven't read the Dark Tower series, you REALLY, REALLY need to. Absolutely BRILLIANT, ranks right alongside of Dune and Lord of the Rings for massive epics...even better for characterization, if you ask me!

Who's with me??
    Twistin' by the pool.
  • SoCalChelle
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

I've been a Stephen King fan since the beginning and have read everything he's ever written. I can't believe Roland's journey is finally over. Well, sorta
    Formerly Tormented VH Fan
    Facebook: Chelle Marley

Comment

• lms2

I also am a Stephen King Fan... Hell of a writer, and you are right the dark tower series is a good read, but you know, that series did not stick with me the way his other books have.

Comment

• bueno bob
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by SoCalChelle
        I've been a Stephen King fan since the beginning and have read everything he's ever written. I can't believe Roland's journey is finally over. Well, sorta
        Honestly, I don't think the "change" Roland had at the end (?) of his quest is going to make any real difference; mayhap it might, but ka is a funny bitch, ain't she?

I take the fact that he's dreamt about blowing his horn at the base of the tower as evidence that, well, maybe he already HAS...for whatever good it's done him.

Mayhap I'm just a sick bastard and like the idea of his suffering to continue, who can say...lmao...

Still, maybe someday there'll be a door and behind that door will be a clearing with a blonde girl who once sat at a window - THAT would be cool. I loved Susan and thought Wizard and Glass was one of the best installments of the series, if not THE best.
        Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• SoCalChelle
          Veteran
          • Jan 2004

The ending of DT7 blew me away. Ka really IS a wheel, eh?

What did you think of that 9/11 reference he threw in there? Do you think he's saying Black Thirteen drew the planes to the towers?

Also, the house by the lake is called Cara Laughs. There was a house in Bag of Bones called Sara Laughs. Whaddya think.....same house on different levels of the tower?

I love how he brought it all together....it seems almost as though everything he's ever written was a part of Roland's journey. Almost like he planned it that way all along.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

Just about everything WAS about the journey...I've read every one of his books up to the past 4...I'm in the middle of Black House right now...with Straub...and am loving it...and obviously...Talisman and Black House are directly related...and about 15 or so other books...including the stand...and a couple of other of the big ones...

I love going back and finding the shit...

but yeah...in an interview way back...he said most of his books start off as installments of the series...he knew the ending...and feared that the end of the Dark Tower would be the end of his creativity...that his journed would be over...

He also calls it his "Lord of the Rings..." for what it's worth...

I still have 5, 6 and 7 to go...and will start up with 1 after I finish Black House...

I'll let you know as I go through...I may reread Talisman as well...just to fill that story up...
            "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• WACF
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

I got half way through and then forgot about them....

I will have to pick up the remaining ones.
              When I was reading them as they came out I could not put them down.

Comment

• WACF
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

Look at that...I am a Crazy Ass Mofo....

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by WACF
                  I got half way through and then forgot about them....

I will have to pick up the remaining ones.
                  When I was reading them as they came out I could not put them down.
                  don't forget your wrist supports for reading these...damn those are some BIG ASS books. Seriously heavy.

I need some wrist exercises to strengthen my wrists for that shit..

oh Maaaax!?
                  “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• McCarrens
                    Foot Soldier
                    • May 2004

Those are some of the greatest book sever written. I think there is a hole in my life now, what with Roland and his ka-tet's literary journey over.

I cried after reading the last page of the last book.

That's how long I've been with them, and now that it is over, I feel like I've passed on through one phase of my life into another.

I know that sounds a little (or a lot) weird but I've been reading the Dark Tower books for years and years and somehow I don't think Harry Potter can fill the gap that lives on my night stand now I don't have a story about the Gunslinger and the Man in Black there.
                    "The security around the hotel was ridiculous. This chick was pounding and screaming at my door until four or five in the morning....finally I said fuck it, and let her out of the room"

Comment

• SoCalChelle
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2004

That's exactly how I feel, McCarrens.

Comment

• bueno bob
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

I noticed the Sara Laughs/Cara Laughs references as well...King recently did an interview and said there were something like 28 other references that NOBODY has discovered yet...worth the re-read

Well, if the black 13 didn't call the planes to it, then al-Queda did the U.S. a favor on 9/11 if that was the case...lmao...
                        Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• SoCalChelle
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2004

28 references to other books?

Comment

• bueno bob
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

Yup, somewhere in the vicinity of 28 references to other books; he said there's also a LOT in the way of plays on "19" that hasn't been discovered either.

My biggest complaints? Nobody will ever know what happened with Rhea (the Coos witch), that belt from his Mother that somehow saved Roland's life, and I'm willing to bet that there's a LOT about Jericho Hill that wasn't told (why they were there, what the fuck happened, et al).

On top of that, we never met Aileen, don't know anything about the girl he left in Kings Town, his interactions with Thomas and the other guy from Eyes of the Dragon...nor whatever happened with the whole "fall of Gilead" bit other than, well, it fell!

Devil's in the details, and I think there's still another DT novel yet that could cover ALL that shit! But I ain't holding my breath.

Good news though, 'cuz there's talk of making the ENTIRE SERIES into an HBO miniseries (animated - who in the CHRIST could actually carry those roles effectively?!?).

I REALLY hope that happens!
                            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• WACF
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

That would be cool!!!!

Went to a used bookstore last night....could not find a single Dark Towers book....

I have got to pick up those last few!

Comment

Working...