• Show
Clear All
  • lucky wilbury

Castro Says Bush Plotting to Kill Him

Castro Says Bush Plotting to Kill Him
    By ANDREA RODRIGUEZ
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

HAVANA (AP) -

Fidel Castro accused President Bush on Friday of plotting with Miami exiles to kill him, and said he would die fighting if the United States ever invaded to oust him.

"I don't care how I die," Castro said at the end of a 5 1/2-hour speech that began Thursday night and continued into early Friday. "But rest assured, if they invade us, I'll die in combat."

The Cuban president didn't back up his accusations with details. He spoke at the close of a conference bringing together activists across the region who oppose the Free Trade Area of the Americas.

Castro has insisted over the past year that hardline Cuban exiles in Miami have been pressuring the Bush administration to invade the island - a charge U.S. officials deny.

Castro also has increasingly referred to his own mortality in recent years, promising to remain in power until his last breath.

"We know that Mr. Bush has committed himself to the mafia ... to assassinate me," the Cuban president said, using the term commonly employed here to describe anti-Castro Cuban Americans. "I said it once before and today I'll say it clearer: I accuse him!"

Castro has accused past U.S. administrations of seeking to assassinate him, and during his early years in power there were numerous documented cases of U.S.-sponsored attempts on his life.

The assassination of foreign leaders as U.S. policy was later banned in 1976 by an executive order signed by then-President Gerald Ford and reinforced by Presidents Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan.

Castro also criticized the Bush administration's Commission for a Free Cuba - a panel set up in October and headed by U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell.

When the United States announced creation of the commission, Powell suggested that the goal is not to ease Castro out but to plan a strategy for Cuba once the 77-year-old leader is no longer in power.

Earlier in his speech, Castro called on the more than 1,000 activists from across the Americas gathered here to work against the U.S.-backed free trade pact, which he said will only further impoverish their nations.

The Bush administration has progressively hardened its policies toward the island. Cuban authorities charge the strategy is aimed at wooing voters in Florida, home to most of the Cuban-American exiles living in the United States.

For more than four decades, the two countries have been without diplomatic ties and a U.S. trade embargo against the island makes most trade between the nations impossible, except for sales of farm products.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

It has long been my theory that Jeb and Junior have promised Poppy that they will complete his failed mission in Cuba before the old man is eternally relocated to Hell. And Poppy hasn't appeared too healthy in recent years, so it's entirely possible that Bay of Pigs II might be in the works.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Eyes of the Night
      Veteran
      • Jan 2004

Let's hope Jr does ... It was time to kick ass and take names and you libs can't handle the truth ... or have any balls ...

thanks
      Eyes
      Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Comment

• Wayne L.

Fidel Castro " should " have been killed a long time ago duringthe Kennedy administration back in the 60's but some " sensitive liberal souls " in his cabinet & the Democratic Party were against it but I " wouldn't " doubt it if President Bush goes after Castro since he is part of the axis of evil especially after the presidential election.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Sure, what's another 20,000 troops to deploy gonna hurt....
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Nothing!

it will create jobs!

Go hug a tree!

Comment

• John Ashcroft
              Veteran
              • Jan 2004

If America was plotting to kill Castro, he's be dead already. It's an island off of Floriduh for Christ's sake!

Comment

• Viking
                Veteran
                • Jan 2004

I think the old Commie's just starting to lose his marbles, myself.

Comment

• Full Bug
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

Five and a half hour speech? I wonder how many died from boredom listening to his crap, I bet those who dozed off were taken out back and shot.......
                  Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by John Ashcroft
                    If America was plotting to kill Castro, he's be dead already. It's an island off of Floriduh for Christ's sake!
                    Uh, can you say "Bay of Pigs"?? That didn't work so well, did it?

Apparently the thousands of Cubans who sit in Miami and bitch, rather than go home and do something about it don't think it is easy either.

BTW, remember who was in charge of the Bay of Pigs...... another BCE failure.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

there's no need to plot his death. The man is due, unless he pulls a John Paul the Second on us all.

The mafia was Kennedy, and if the mafia was involved, Castro's ass woulda been grass by now a la JFK
                      Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Cathedral
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

Castro has been on borrowed time for how many years?

I don't believe Bush is plotting to kill him. this is just another case of an evil dictator making claims that every Democrat will milk as just another thing to accuse Bush of.

I mean fuck, If it were up to you bleeding hearts, Saddam Hussein would still be living high on the hog in his palaces while he allowes his citizens to starve while trying to avoid being tortured and/or killed.

If we wanted Castro dead, he'd be dead long before you hear about it from the media.

Comment

• Pink Spider
                          Sniper
                          • Jan 2004

Castro was more useful to the United States as a boogieman during the cold war, but not anymore.

It would be a foolish mistake to take Castro out by means of invasion. The Cuban army are no doubt well trained in guerrilla warfare. In fact the Cubans wrote the book on the subject. It would cost a lot of lives.

Besides, Cuba doesn't have any oil.

Comment

• John Ashcroft
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2004

Now Pinky's gonna give us a lesson on military doctrine?

Ford, it's safe to say our military has significantly increased it's capabilities since the bay of pigs (who ran that operation anyway?)

And Pinky. Fidel is a boogieman (although I doubt he dances much) to the people he tortures and kills on a daily basis. It's not a piece of fiction dreampt up by the United States government. His atrocities are well documented. I know you probably get moist when thinking of him, but normal people would rejoice at his demise. I just don't think the U.S. is paying Fidel much mind, as we are currently preoccupied elswhere.

Comment

• Pink Spider
                              Sniper
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by John Ashcroft
                              Now Pinky's gonna give us a lesson on military doctrine?

Ford, it's safe to say our military has significantly increased it's capabilities since the bay of pigs (who ran that operation anyway?)

And Pinky. Fidel is a boogieman (although I doubt he dances much) to the people he tortures and kills on a daily basis. It's not a piece of fiction dreampt up by the United States government. His atrocities are well documented. I know you probably get moist when thinking of him, but normal people would rejoice at his demise. I just don't think the U.S. is paying Fidel much mind, as we are currently preoccupied elswhere.
                              Castro is mild compared to some of the dictators the US has supported. I would like to see him go, but I'm saying that it won't happen by anything other than natural causes. There's no major profit in it.

Comment

Working...