PDA

View Full Version : Spurrier to USC?

Rebel
11-13-2004, 12:44 AM
South Carolina job nice fit for Spurrier
By Edgar Thompson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, November 12, 2004

GAINESVILLE — If University of Florida legend Steve Spurrier is coaching against his alma mater at this time next season, his older brother won't be at all surprised.

Graham Spurrier said the former Gators coach will be back in the college game next season, and replacing Lou Holtz at South Carolina makes a lot of sense. Spurrier cited the close friendship between his brother and Holtz, the location of the school and Steve Spurrier's desire to coach again after spending a season out of football.

"If he gets a nice deal somewhere in the South or Southeast, I see him getting back into it for a few years," Graham Spurrier said. "I've thought all along college is where he should be. Right now, he's looking that way."

Holtz, 67, must first decide if he's going to retire after 33 seasons — including the past six in Columbia — and 249 wins as a head coach. He'll be going for No. 250 when the Gamecocks (6-3) visit Florida (5-4) Saturday night in The Swamp.

"Steve wouldn't do anything to harm that relationship," his brother said. "He's not going to talk to South Carolina until Lou is ready to step down."

The Columbia, S.C., newspaper The State reported Wednesday, using an unnamed source, that a school representative has contacted Spurrier.

This week, Holtz hinted a coaching change could be imminent, and said Steve Spurrier would be the best choice to coach a team expected to return 12 starters and many backups with playing experience on a bowl team.

"Regardless of who coaches it, this thing is going to go up — whether it be me, whether it be Steve Spurrier, whether it be someone else," Holtz said Wednesday on his weekly radio show. "It will be easier for Steve Spurrier because the fans will be behind him."

If Spurrier ends up replacing Holtz, it would create quite a stir among Florida fans. Many felt Spurrier, who won a national championship and six Southeastern Conference titles in 12 seasons, should have been give right of first refusal to succeed Ron Zook, who was fired on Oct. 25.

Athletic Director Jeremy Foley and President Bernie Machen plan to interview a national pool of candidates and make a decision next month.

Spurrier released a statement on Nov. 4, saying he'd had his "day in the sun" at Florida, where he also won the 1966 Heisman Trophy. But the next day he sounded less content with the decision when he told Florida Today, "Nobody ever said, 'We want to rehire you.' That was obviously never said."

Now, Spurrier, 59, could end up at South Carolina — another SEC school in the same division as Florida. The schools are scheduled to play Nov. 12, 2005, in Columbia.

Holtz has two more regular-season games and a bowl game to coach before anything happens. A longtime observer of the program said he wouldn't have believed it a week ago, but he half expects Holtz to announce retirement plans before next week's Clemson game.

"He's brought up Spurrier's name; that's very unusual for a coach to talk like that when he's coming back," said Phil Kornblut, in his 20th year as sports director for South Carolina News Network. "That's led us to believe this may be it."

Holtz has a contract worth about $900,000 a season that does not including a buyout clause, giving him or the school the option to break the deal with a five-day notice.

If Holtz opts out, Spurrier, if interested, surely would become the front-runner to replace Holtz, especially if another high-profile job, like LSU (coached by former NFL assistant Nick Saban), doesn't open up.

School President Andrew Sorensen was the vice president of academic affairs at UF from 1990-96 — Spurrier's first six years as Gators head coach.

Graham Spurrier, who lives in Johnson City, Tenn., likes the idea of South Carolina, which is only three hours away from him. He said he definitely won't miss the Florida game.

"I'd be right there next to him during the game," he said. "He's got a deep love for Florida and always will. But when it comes down to business, you have to coach your heart our no matter who you play."

redblkwht
11-13-2004, 03:10 AM
USC or SC meaning South Carolina bro..

make up your mind dude, is he gonna shit or is he gonna kill us?

Va Beach VH Fan
11-13-2004, 09:15 AM
That's what I thought too...

Spurrier in SoCal ?? ;)

POJO_Risin
11-14-2004, 08:39 PM
lmfao...I thought he was talking about University of Southern Connecticut...

I think there are many teams he's looking at...

I'd say Notre Dame would be possible...not sure he's the kind of guy they want there...although there are several similarities between he and Holtz...

We'll see...South Carolina is a place where he can win...they can recruit there...and they've had a winning program in the past...and Spurrier brings a lot of cred...

good fit if you ask me...Holtz would step aside for Spurrier...lmfao...and maybe take that Florida job?

Rebel
11-14-2004, 09:57 PM
LOL, I guess I'm an SEC boy, but when I hear USC, South Carolina actually pops into my head first, when they say Southern Cal, I think "oh yea" lol.

Anyway, it would be a nice fit for him, though I would enjoy watching him flop in the NFL again.

Rebel
11-14-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by redblkwht
make up your mind dude, is he gonna shit or is he gonna kill us?

lmfao, classic line there, I love that movie lol

POJO_Risin
11-14-2004, 09:59 PM
He's already said he has no interest in the NFL...lmfao...like we haven't heard that shit before...

Rebel
11-14-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
He's already said he has no interest in the NFL...lmfao...like we haven't heard that shit before...

i think it's probably the other way around actually, the NFL has no interest in him lol

I've never like his snobby ass attitude, he thinks he's god's gift to football, but he crashed and burned in the NFL. Hate to say it, but if he goes to USC (SoCal, South Carolina or Conneticut, or the University of Southwest Colorado) I hope he flops.

POJO_Risin
11-14-2004, 10:09 PM
I like his attitude...but can't figure out what his deal is with the pros...I think he could succeed...but he'd need to coach somewhere with no pressure to start...because I think he'd fail to start...but eventually figure it out...

He'd need a gig like Arizona...or the like...

Rebel
11-14-2004, 10:16 PM
He's confident, no doubt. If I was a player, I think I would like to play for a guy like him, but from the outside looking in, I just think he's a snob. I remember him saying how he though it was stupid how coaches like Gruden and Haslett would go in to work at 3am, maybe if he dragged himself out of bed or off the golf course, he would won a few more. But getting up at 3am ain't gonna make Ramsey play any better I guess :D

POJO_Risin
11-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Well...the only thing I blame him for is the fact that he didn't get the quality of player he needed to run his offense in the NFL...it's his own fault...but perhaps he was a bit hogtied because of Washington's idiocy in dealing in the years before...

Brett
11-17-2004, 01:08 AM
Pete Carroll ain't leaving SC anytime soon. I'll turn in my alumni badge if fucking Spurrier ever makes his way here.

rustoffa
11-18-2004, 07:31 PM
From The Tennessean (http://www.tennessean.com/sports/college/archives/04/11/61677419.shtml?Element_ID=61677419)

The ol' head ball coach is on his way back to the Southeastern Conference — just not where everyone expected.

Steve Spurrier, who guided Florida to six SEC championships and a national championship in his 12 years in Gainesville, has agreed in principle to take over at South Carolina for Lou Holtz as the Gamecocks' head coach, a source close to the situation told The Tennessean last night.

One potential snag in the agreement could be if Holtz, 67, has a change of heart and decides at the last minute not to retire. Spurrier has also been known to change his mind, although he's made it clear to South Carolina that the Gamecocks' job is the one he wants.

An announcement is expected early next week. South Carolina ends its regular season Saturday at rival Clemson. Holtz has been non-committal about his future, although yesterday on the SEC coaches' teleconference he made reference to his final game at Notre Dame when discussing the distractions of this week.

South Carolina Associate Athletics Director Kerry Tharp would neither confirm nor deny last night that a deal was imminent with Spurrier.

"It's his (Holtz's) call," USC Sports Information Director Kerry Tharp told Columbia TV station WLTX this morning. "When it comes time for him to make that decision we'll go from there," said Tharp.

''We're not going to comment about any of it right now,'' Tharp said. ''It's all speculative. When Coach Holtz decides what he's going to do, then we'll decide where we're going to go with it.''

Spurrier and Holtz are close friends, and Holtz has openly endorsed Spurrier as somebody the Gamecocks should pursue if Holtz decides to step down at the end of this season.

''I've talked to Steve,'' Holtz said earlier this week. ''I don't want to go in that direction, but I have talked to him. We talked about how you cure a slice, his son, etc. Steve's a good friend of mine, as I said. All I want to talk about is Clemson, Clemson, Clemson. That's all. That's the only thing on my mind.''

Spurrier's shadow has hovered over the SEC all season, although most thought he would end up back at Florida after Ron Zook was fired Oct. 25.

In the end, though, Spurrier was disinterested in having to go through a full-fledged interview process with the Gators and pulled his name out of consideration two weeks ago. He has been out of coaching for the last year after going just 12-20 in two years as the Washington Redskins coach.

Contract details between Spurrier and South Carolina have yet to be finalized. It's expected to be lucrative, although he wouldn't be the highest-paid coach in the conference. The highest-paid coach is LSU's Nick Saban, who makes more than $2 million per year. Tennessee Coach Phillip Fulmer makes about $1.8 million.

Spurrier, 59, began his head-coaching career with the Tampa Bay Bandits of the United States Football League from 1983-85 before jumping to the college ranks at Duke.

He spent three seasons with the Blue Devils (1987-89) and compiled a 20-13-1 record. Spurrier was named ACC Coach of the Year in each of his final two seasons at Duke.

His accomplishments there set the stage for him to take the reins at his alma mater. Spurrier, who won the Heisman Trophy as a Gator in 1966, replaced Gary Darnell in time for the 1990 season.

What he accomplished over the next 12 seasons in Gainesville established the Florida program as one of the best in the nation. He won at least nine games in each season, and won 10 or more nine times. Spurrier's 1996 team went 12-1 and captured the only national football championship in school history.

Spurrier was named SEC Coach of the Year three times en route to posting a 122-27-1 record at Florida.

He stunned the Gators faithful, though, when he abruptly resigned on Jan. 4, 2002. In his statement then, Spurrier said: ''I simply believe that 12 years as head coach at a major university in the SEC is long enough.''

Less than two weeks later he was hired by owner Daniel Snyder to take over the NFL's Washington Redskins. He was awarded the game's richest contract at the time, signing a $25 million, five-year deal.

But Spurrier's offensive schemes didn't translate well to the pro game, and after just two years and a 12-20 record, he resigned.

Naturally his name surfaced first when Florida fired Zook after the Gators lost to Mississippi State. Ultimately he bowed out of the mix in Gainesville, and his name began to surface in connection with Holtz's job.

Holtz has said he believes Spurrier will be a good fit for the Gamecocks.

How will the Gators feel about that? The teams will meet on Nov. 12, 2005, in Columbia, S.C.

redblkwht
11-19-2004, 12:17 AM
Go figure rebel your story sounds true..
& here i am making light of the USC logo.
LMAO, good catch reb..;)

POJO_Risin
11-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Well...it's official...they were talking about it today...South Carolina...I thought he was waiting out the North Carolina job...which they may have done until UNC actually played well this year...and may goto a bowl...

South Carolina is a good fit...but I'm curious to see how he handles his first game in Florida...lmfao...