PDA

View Full Version : Which rock guitarists had as much as Eddie Van Halen after the VH explosion?

Wayne L.
11-14-2004, 10:51 AM
I know Steve Vai & Joe Satriani are great rock guitarists in their own right but they weren't as important & influential as Eddie after the VH explosion back in 78 no matter if they were much better as some critics say. You have to be one of the biggest idiots on the planet if you think Mick Mars, Ritchie Sambora & C. C. Deville are great rock guitarists in the same leagues as Eddie Van Halen but Slash is a great guitarist in his own right. BTW, I'm not mentioning the late, great SRV because he was more of a blues guitarist.

nosuchluck
11-14-2004, 10:54 AM
Randy Rhoads
Yngwie J.
James Hetfield/Kirk Hammett (don't like 'em but they were VERY influential IMO)
Kurt Cobain(love him or hate him, he changed the music scene almost as much did VH did)
can't think of any others now...but i dont think anyone can have the same sort of impact Eddie had...

Loki
11-14-2004, 10:56 AM
verily, yngwie j. malmsteen hath rock hist peers like few others. norse born guitarist of unequaled talent. huzzah huzzah.

Nickdfresh
11-14-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
I know Steve Vai & Joe Satriani are great rock guitarists in their own right but they weren't as important & influential as Eddie after the VH explosion back in 78 no matter if they were much better as some critics say...

I think Eddie was as good or better than those guys when he wasn't drunk off his ass after downing a bottle of vodka before taking the stage.

Speaking of self-destructive virtuoso guitarists, I was impressed with Vinnie Vincent's brief tenure with Kiss.

darkknight
11-14-2004, 01:16 PM
I read there was plenty of studio trickery going on with VV's tenure with Kiss, including speeding up the tape so he could sound faster than he was.

Nickdfresh
11-14-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by darkknight
I read there was plenty of studio trickery going on with VV's tenure with Kiss, including speeding up the tape so he could sound faster than he was.

I guess I got punked by Kiss' infamous studio magic, like on their "Alive" albums which have all received studio overdubs.:rolleyes:

ELVIS
11-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by darkknight
including speeding up the tape so he could sound faster than he was.

Not true...

ELVIS
11-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Yngwie, Randy and Stevie are the only other players up there with Edward and Hendrix...

:elvis:

Panamark
11-14-2004, 02:49 PM
What ELVIS said !!

Nickdfresh
11-14-2004, 03:07 PM
Joe Satriani bears mention. He's a great guitarist, but redundant and over-bearing as well though.

SNIPER
11-14-2004, 03:15 PM
You are leaving out a very important guitar player that has his own style and sound. He can keep up with the best of them. Tom Morello.

I think he is rock star guitar hero status.

BrownSound1
11-14-2004, 03:33 PM
I don't think there was anyone who influenced as many people as Edward during this time...except for maybe SRV, and I would question that he got to the masses like Edward did.

Nickdfresh
11-14-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by SNIPER
You are leaving out a very important guitar player that has his own style and sound. He can keep up with the best of them. Tom Morello.

I think he is rock star guitar hero status.

Good Call!! Five stars to you!

frets5150
11-14-2004, 04:25 PM
In 78-84 these guy's could not hold a candel to Ed.See most of these guy's blow thier wad in most every song,but not ed that is why he has the staying power he has.I mean look at Malmsteen he blows his wad on almost every song, he starts a lead a lil different but then its all the same sweeping arps.Cant listen to him for more than 15 min before i get a headache, but in all fairness i was never much into Bach and Roll but he is a great great player.Malmsteen is the only guy who even came close to ed as far as influence is concerned.As far as vai if you sat in a room alone with him he'd knock your socks off but his records leave alot to be desired for me anyway. I like it when he does those fast runs like ed but with all the sqwealing and layered guitar's it is not enjoyable to me in the least.Yeah ed over dubs but he does'nt go crazy with it. My favorite song would be For the love of god great tune.By the way how come no one mentioned Greg Howe that guy could smoke vai and satch put together,listen to him and vito bratta that guy is a killer. But when the smoke clears and it's all said and done Ed will always be remembered as the most influential and GREATEST rock guitarist ever.
LONG LIVE THE KING

Cathedral
11-14-2004, 04:42 PM
What about Roy Clark?

That dude was a pickin fool, lmmfao.

frets5150
11-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
What about Roy Clark?

Agreed!!!

SNIPER
11-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Ed will always be king to me, I have even learned how to play like him useing my own riifs. long live the king, thats what im talking about!

TongueNGroove
11-14-2004, 04:55 PM
I am glad that Vito Bratta was mentioned. I have to say the sweet leads he did with White Lion were always an inspiration to me. He had a very melodic and creative way of delivery leads, not just a shredder like Gary Howe or nay of those types.

I would say tht Nuo Bettencourt should also be mentioned since he is still very infuential to me.

SNIPER
11-14-2004, 05:00 PM
Vito was an Eddie clone, He had the same hair Eddie had in the vh 2 erea. and his solos where very well thought out to sound like his king. god love him for that. wasnt a White Lion fan but the Halen vibe stuck out enuff for me to notice their talent.

Terry
11-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Can't think of one guitarist who became popular after Eddie Van Halen that had the influence of making people who didn't play the guitar to begin with want to pick up the instrument.

Randy Rhoads was almost a contemporary of EVH. Just a couple years shy of gaining notoriety. For many new players from 1978 to 1982, Randy was the second guy you heard of after EVH.

Those mostly American players who became famous in the post-Eddie/Rhandy metal (am including some poseurs, though not necessarily all were) explosion of 1982 onward: George Lynch, Warren DeMartini, Carlos Cavazo, Jake E. Lee, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Steve Lynch, Mick Mars, CC DeVille, Yngwie Malmsteen as among the most visible.........I suspect the primary influence they had was on players who had been initially inspired to pick up the instrument by EVH.

Also included are Brad Gillis, Vivain Campbell, Vitto Bratta, the twin guitar attacks of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, and such.

That's what Ace Frehley was talking about when he said he had been cited by many such as Skid Row as a primary influence in wanting take up the instrument. Would tend to suspect that some of the players listed above who got famous in the mid 1980s hard rock boom would agree with Skid Row, and then go onto say that EVH was the one who inspired them to want to PLAY as opposed to just picking up the instrument. Hence the amount of Eddie clones who flooded the airwaves from 1983 to 1989, seemingly at times unable to play without two hands on the fretboard or one hand on the vibrato bar.

EVH had a similar impact on the next wave of younger guitarists who got their start around 1979-1983, and then went on to hear players like Malmsteen, Vai and Satriani who inspired them to look beyond the limitations of being an Eddie clone.

Would think it would be the guitarist who inspired more to take up the instrument to begin with that would be the most influential.

dave_is_vh
11-14-2004, 06:47 PM
In terms of INNOVATION, there are only three ROCK guitar players that matter:

Jimi Hendrix
Eddie Van Halen
Yngwie Malmsteen

Each of those guys completely reinvented rock guitar. No one has had an impact comparable to these guys.

Other guitar players have been as innovative, but they are not rock guitar players - for example:

Stevie Ray Vaughn (blues)
Al Di Meola (jazz fusion)
Allan Holdsworth (jazz fusion)

That is the bottom line.

ELVIS
11-14-2004, 07:22 PM
I'm happy to see Yngwie taken seriously in this kind of discussion...

Yngwie is a true innovater, and in my opinion, the best guitarist to ever hit the main stream...

badhorsie
11-14-2004, 07:34 PM
There arent too many guitarists who revolutionized music/technique/style/GEAR as much as Hendrix and EVH.

I dont think anyone has even come remolelty close to EVH status in the last 20 years.

ELVIS
11-14-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by badhorsie

I dont think anyone has even come remolelty close to EVH status in the last 20 years.

Yngwie absolutely did...

..and without Dave, you would be saying Ed who ??

Yngwie did it without someone like Dave...

janarak
11-14-2004, 07:54 PM
We keep getting this EVH/Hendrix thing and its to tuff to call.
If we are talking modern influence James Hetfields compressed guitar sound is everywhere,not a Metallica fan but even lighter rock songs now have the Hetfield chug.

Here's to EVH waking with a hangover proving us all wrong and showing he still has the moves.

LickMyCream
11-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Yngwie is a wanker and Slash is cool

dave_is_vh
11-14-2004, 09:01 PM
There arent too many guitarists who revolutionized music/technique/style/GEAR as much as Hendrix and EVH.

Yngwie was more innovative than EVH. If you do not believe this listen to Yngwie's Rising Force and Van Halen I back to back. Nuff said.

Terry
11-14-2004, 10:15 PM
Yngwie and EVH back to back is a tough call.

Almost as tough as Hendrix and EVH.

Satriani and Vai I consider more disciples of EVH and Hendrix than really innovative in their own right.

But Yngwie......well, Yngwie was influential. Not as many Malmsteen carbon copies out there, but you have to have serious technique to mimic Malmsteen. A little more perhaps than it takes to mimic Eddie.

Hendrix/EVH/Malmsteen........won't get into who's better, but those three make my top ten.

Where Malmsteen would have ended up without Blackmore (let's face it, Yngwie knicked more than just a little from Ritchie) is another question............

Vivian Campbell
11-14-2004, 10:23 PM
This is an interesting question since I really can't think of anyone else besides those mentioned that were influential. Perhaps Satriani, but he bores the hell out of me. A lot of people just bit off of Eddie throughout the 80s which is good or bad depending on your guitar tastes.

There have been plenty of awesome guitarists. VIVIAN CAMPBELL for example :D . Was he influential? Probably not. But, shredding was big thing in the 80s and he was at the forefront of the guitar hero shredding scene.

All time influential? Hello? Ritchie Blackmore. Yngwie Malmsteen will tell you that he wouldn’t have taken up the guitar if it wasn’t for his idol Ritchie Blackmore. He’s worked with almost every one of Blackmore’s singers - Graham Bonnet, Joe Lynn Turner, and even a song with Dio for an Aerosmith tribute album.

Tony Iommi is an obvious for all time influential, but even HE tried to be Blackmore as odd as it sounds. Proof? Look at the personnel of Black Sabbath since Ozzy left - Ronnie James Dio, Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes, Cozy Powell and there are many more.

Hendrix? Some one will shoot me for this, but is he even relevent today? He is the most hyped dude in the music industry. How many kids that pick up the guitar say, “I’m doing it because Hendrix inspired me.” Nope, they’ll most likely say Iommi, Paige, Blackmore, Yngwie (if they can pronounce his name), Vai, Satriani, and of course, Eddie Van Halen.

rustoffa
11-14-2004, 10:31 PM
Since this has drifted a bit, I'll go ahead and throw Link Wray in the mix as far as influential.

IMO, he probably created heavy guitar riffs.

ELVIS
11-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by dave_is_vh
Yngwie was more innovative than EVH.

Nah..

I put them equal on the innovative scale...

Fabulous Shadow
11-14-2004, 10:40 PM
Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, John Petrucci and Brian May all desrving of a mention however none to the levels of EVH.

Fabulous Shadow
11-14-2004, 10:43 PM
OOPS... I guess I missed the AFTER EDDIE part...

ELVIS
11-14-2004, 10:46 PM
Please pay no attention to the last two posts...

rustoffa
11-14-2004, 10:47 PM
Top 5 easily.........

http://img128.exs.cx/img128/1154/ufo4.jpg

Rebel
11-14-2004, 10:51 PM
SDMF baby.......

http://www.zakkwylde-fan.net/graph/zgpc03.jpg

Rebel
11-14-2004, 10:53 PM
The man.....

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-22797/zakk1.jpg

ELVIS
11-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Top five is:

Edward

Yngwie

Hendrix

SRV

Rhodes

scottydabodi
11-14-2004, 11:00 PM
In the history of the electric guitar, perhaps the 2 most influential players were Jimi, and Eddie. Now there's been MANY great players, and MANY influential players, but we're more or less talking about players that are AS influential as Ed. Well, SRV is a fine choice, and Malmsteen, and Vai, and Satch, and Schenker, and a billion other greats... I would dare say that out of those, perhaps SRV is up there with Ed as far as influence, fame, and a saturday mornin guitar shop kid tryin to play those riffs... I would personally LOVE to sit here and explain my love for Steve Morse, Greg Howe(not Steve Howe), Gary Moore, Uli Jon Roth(no relation to DLR), and Jake E. Lee, but that doesn't make 'em MORE influential than they've been already... and it's a shame... but that's how it goes... Not EVERYONE can be in the Top 3 Most Inflential Electric Guitarists of AllTime List... except for ME, that is!!

ELVIS
11-14-2004, 11:01 PM
I do like Zakk, although he is too southern twang for Ozzy...

I would much rather Yngwie do an Ozzy album...

scottydabodi
11-14-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I do like Zakk, although he is too southern twang for ozzy...

I would much rather Yngwie do an Ozzy album...

Ozzy needs John Fucking Sykes...

Rebel
11-14-2004, 11:07 PM
I like Zakk's sound with Ozzy, he does tone down that twang a bit on Ozzy's records. I'm not saying Zakk is as influential as the other guys mentioned.....yet, but he's quickly working on it. Pride and Glory is without a doubt one of the top records put out in the last 20 years, very good stuff, he's an extremely good guitar player, but he's a great songwriter.

ELVIS
11-14-2004, 11:13 PM
I think I'll get Pride and Glory...

Fabulous Shadow
11-14-2004, 11:15 PM
Sorry about that Elvis...

I dont think there has really been anyone AFTER Ed that has made as much of an impact in Rock Guitar as Ed.

Some of my favs...

Angus Young, Jeff Beck, Jerry Cantrell, Kurt Cobain, Bradley Nowell and Dean DeLeo. Innovators? I dont think so...

Rebel
11-14-2004, 11:16 PM
If you don't have it, it's truly a great album. Check out the remastered version with the bonus second disc with extra tracks. If you like southern rock, you'll love it. Anybody that appreciates really good music would like it even if it's not their favorite style, it's very well done.

HELLVIS
11-14-2004, 11:23 PM
I played gigs with both Jake E. Lee and John Sykes. Both are great players. Jake is probably a better player, but John is also a great vocalist/songwriter. Oh, and John is funny as hell. But I digress, do those guys even belong in this thread...really? We are talking influence, and since we are, Eddie is all alone.

dave_is_vh
11-14-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by scottydabodi

That would fuckin' ROCK!!!!!!!!!

Sykes isn't innovative, but he smokes.

dave_is_vh
11-14-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Where Malmsteen would have ended up without Blackmore (let's face it, Yngwie knicked more than just a little from Ritchie) is another question............

Yes Blackmore was an important influence for Yngwie but he was more influenced by Paganini, Bach, Uli Jon Roth and Al Di Meola in my opinion. Also, it was Hendrix that made him pick up the guitar, not Blackmore.

dave_is_vh
11-14-2004, 11:27 PM

David Coverdale is the stupidist fuck on earth for not doing another CD with John Sykes. Coverdale's stupidity and out of control ego regarding working with Sykes again is topped only by the VH sisters refusal to work with Dave. But Coverdale is probably the ultimate ego maniac.

HELLVIS
11-14-2004, 11:28 PM
You are correct sir.

Nitro Express
11-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Jimi Hendrix has been hyped to death. Van Halen in their day became so big, it fueled tons of Eddie and Dave clones that never could match the brilliance of the innovators.

I hear people older than me (I was born in 1966) talk about how Hendrix floored and mezmorized them. In the late 70's Eddie Van Halen floored me. He was like magic. That's why we are all in here talking about it. Eddie was that good. Great songs, great riffs, great stage presence, I mean Eddie brought everything to the table you would want in a rock guitarist. As far as showmanship and music, Dave and Eddie had some special sauce cooking nobody including Eddie could copy. It was magic.

I can play a lot of Van Halen songs well, but Yngwie is harder to follow. He's one fast motherfucker. I still like trying to copy him, because it's a great challenge. Would I get up on stage and try and copy him as a tribute? Are you fucking kidding? LOL! Yeah, technique wise, Yngwie is harder in my book. Eddie still had great chops and feel though. I like em both.

HELLVIS
11-14-2004, 11:31 PM
David Coverdale is the stupidist fuck on earth for not doing another CD with John Sykes. Coverdale's stupidity and out of control ego regarding working with Sykes again is topped only by the VH sisters refusal to work with Dave. But Coverdale is probably the ultimate ego maniac.

If you ever heard Sykes do "In The Still Of The Night" on an acoustic ( vocals and all ), you'd be blown away.

ELVIS
11-14-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Rebel
If you don't have it, it's truly a great album. Check out the remastered version with the bonus second disc with extra tracks.

Yeah man!

I'm getting the remastered version...

I'm an Yngwie freak, but I'm also a Skynyrd freak!

I'm a big Zakk fan...

I'll let you know what I think...:D

Rebel
11-14-2004, 11:42 PM
Oh yea, if you can dig some Skynyrd, you'll love this disc no doubt. Right out of the gate, first track "Losin Your Mind", one of the coolest intros you'll ever hear. You'll know what I mean when you hear it lol

HELLVIS
11-14-2004, 11:46 PM
ELVIS! What are you dong in here? Ford thinks I only come to the army to post BCE propaganda in THE FRONT LINE. Now that you've seen me here, I'll need you to promise not to tell. He can not find out.

scottydabodi
11-14-2004, 11:47 PM
That would fuckin' ROCK!!!!!!!!!

Sykes isn't innovative, but he smokes.

Sykes' vibrato is just fuckin' BANANAS!! Not to mention his tone, and just overall ability... he's really fuckin' fast too, check out the solo from "Still of the Night", took me 6 months to get fast enough to play it... he's a (blue)Murderer!!

Rebel
11-14-2004, 11:48 PM
Make sure to check out the clips on cdnow, to get a lil pumped for it!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000JCDC/qid=1100494008/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/104-4753629-6520710

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE OOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scottydabodi
11-14-2004, 11:49 PM

Coverdale=Dumbass... but a great singer.

ELVIS
11-14-2004, 11:54 PM
Oh yea, if you can dig some Skynyrd, you'll love this disc no doubt. Right out of the gate, first track "Losin Your Mind", one of the coolest intros you'll ever hear. You'll know what I mean when you hear it lol

Awesome!

I'll get back to you for sure...

HELLVIS
11-14-2004, 11:59 PM
Make sure to check out the clips on cdnow, to get a lil pumped for it!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000JCDC/qid=1100494008/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/104-4753629-6520710

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE OOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the link. That will surely be my next music purchase.

Rebel
11-15-2004, 12:01 AM
Five stars for you guys, if you dig some P&G, ya'll alright in my book. Not a bad track on there.

ELVIS
11-15-2004, 12:07 AM
Killer!

badhorsie
11-15-2004, 02:24 AM
I absolutely agree about Yngwie .(im a HUGE fan of yngwie , ive seen him a bunch of times live and own ALL his albums) He definitely changed the way the guitar is played and approached.

But i dont think he's regarded as highly as Hendrix or EVH.

nosuchluck
11-15-2004, 03:18 AM

hmm..i always thought that Yngwie borrowed from Blackmore more in terms of image and things like that. As far as his playing goes, i think he borrowed quite a bit from Uli Jon Roth.

Panamark
11-15-2004, 08:04 AM
To all those that dont even mention Randy Rhoads....

Shame Shame Shame !

WACF
11-15-2004, 11:34 AM
Good point.

Randy deserves a solid nod.

scottydabodi
11-15-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by nosuchluck
hmm..i always thought that Yngwie borrowed from Blackmore more in terms of image and things like that. As far as his playing goes, i think he borrowed quite a bit from Uli Jon Roth.

Thank God someone remembers Uli aside from me... Yngwie sounds like a Uli Jon wannabe to me. Uli's double cd with the orchestra is pretty fuckin' awesome! What a great player...

dave_is_vh
11-15-2004, 09:37 PM
Uli fucking rocks. If he could play fast as clean as Yngwie does, Uli would be better than Yngwie. Prologue to the Symphonic legends is definitely one of my top 10 CDs.

HELLVIS
11-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
To all those that dont even mention Randy Rhoads....

Shame Shame Shame !

Hey, Randy is my fave metal/hard rock guitarist, but this thread is about who has had influence like Eddie VH after the Van Halen explosion. Randy was during. And unfortunately, his time was too damn short. We can only guess that he had hardly scratched the surface.

SNIPER
11-15-2004, 11:14 PM
Do know Randy Rhoads was gay? Was banging Bill Icion, Kiss and my ex manager.

Rikk
11-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by SNIPER
Do know Randy Rhoads was gay? Was banging Bill Icion, Kiss and my ex manager.

DIAPER, SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GET BACK IN THE FUCKING PEN!!:mad:

GUWAPO and MERLE are waiting for you...
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=291869

HELLVIS
11-15-2004, 11:42 PM
I don't care if he was banging you. We're talking about guitarists' influence, not their sexual exploits. I'm afraid you have chosen the wrong forum if you want to talk about gay love.

If that is the topic you wish to discuss, type "GAY" in the search box at the top of your screen. Good luck!

ELVIS
11-15-2004, 11:42 PM
Even if this were true, who gives a crap ??

ELVIS
11-15-2004, 11:43 PM
BTW, Randy had a girlfriend at the time of his death...

scottydabodi
11-15-2004, 11:44 PM
Uli fucking rocks. If he could play fast as clean as Yngwie does, Uli would be better than Yngwie. Prologue to the Symphonic legends is definitely one of my top 10 CDs.

He's just as clean, but not QUITE as fast, but his fuckin' TONE is just unreal... I like Uli better than Yngwie, even though YJM is faster, I find Uli to be more listenable. Not that I don't like YJM, I LOVE Yngwie... I've been playing Malmsteen riffs goin on 21 years now, but Uli really has a killer style... Apples and Oranges, huh?

HELLVIS
11-15-2004, 11:50 PM
The guitar glory days of the 70's & 80's were ended by grunge and hip hop ( you can't spell crap without rap ). Eddie was the last guitar god left standing ( unfortunately in a drunken and diminished state ).

Thank god for Tom Morello. At least he's making kids want to play guitar again.

Panamark
11-16-2004, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by HELLVIS
Hey, Randy is my fave metal/hard rock guitarist, but this thread is about who has had influence like Eddie VH after the Van Halen explosion. Randy was during. And unfortunately, his time was too damn short. We can only guess that he had hardly scratched the surface.

Well I always look at these topics from a personal perspective.

Randy influenced me personally, as much, if not more than EVH.
The fact that they were both out there at the same time is irrelevant
to me. In fact Randy to me was like Eddie, without the same scales
over and over again. Personally I think Randy raised the benchmark.
To this day he has a huge impact on aspiring guitarists.
My local guitar shop has more Randy Rhoads related material
(videos/tab books etc) than EVH..

nosuchluck
11-16-2004, 04:28 AM
Thank God someone remembers Uli aside from me... Yngwie sounds like a Uli Jon wannabe to me. Uli's double cd with the orchestra is pretty fuckin' awesome! What a great player...

i'm sure Ed VH still remembers Uli Jon too. i read that EVH was a huge Roth fan, and kept asking Klaus Meine questions about UJR, when the Scorps(post UJR) and VH toured together.

LickMyCream
11-16-2004, 04:49 AM
Eddie did things that were never done in music before.

All Yngwie did was transcribe classical music to guitar.
He get's some points for "Unleashing the Fookin Fury" though.

Denny
11-16-2004, 08:10 AM
<bgsound src="http://www.barbneal.com/wav/ltunes/marvin/Marvin06.wav" loop=30>

dave_is_vh
11-16-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by LickMyCream

I can't think of much that Eddie did that someone else did not do first. The guitarist from Free did tapping and artificial harmonics first. Hendrix did the whammy bar thing first. In terms of playing fast in a legato style there where a lot of rock and jazz guys doing that a long time before Ed. Playing fast on the acoustic guitar was done extensively before Ed.

Yngwie however was the first person to play the electric guitar like a violin.

Point being is not that Yngwie is better than EVH but that Yngwie was as innovative, if not more innovative, than EVH.

dave_is_vh
11-16-2004, 09:22 AM
He's just as clean, but not QUITE as fast, but his fuckin' TONE is just unreal... I like Uli better than Yngwie, even though YJM is faster, I find Uli to be more listenable. Not that I don't like YJM, I LOVE Yngwie... I've been playing Malmsteen riffs goin on 21 years now, but Uli really has a killer style... Apples and Oranges, huh?

If you listen to Uli play Vivaldi's Four Seasons the fast parts are extremely dirty/messy - embarrassingly so. Unless Uli can play those parts cleanly, I think he is better off playing his own music like Prologue To The Symphonic Legends. Yngwie on the other hand would have no problem nailing the fast Vivaldi stuff.

hard rock
11-16-2004, 09:44 AM
eddie is the man no one comes close and no one will. there are great named being mentioned out here. there are 2 that i really like that maybe dont have the rock edge as a lot of the ones being tossed around but there is no denying they have skill and influenced others

Carlos Santana and Stevie Ray Vaughan

maybe even The Edge of U2 for having his own sound as well

scottydabodi
11-16-2004, 01:40 PM
If you listen to Uli play Vivaldi's Four Seasons the fast parts are extremely dirty/messy - embarrassingly so. Unless Uli can play those parts cleanly, I think he is better off playing his own music like Prologue To The Symphonic Legends. Yngwie on the other hand would have no problem nailing the fast Vivaldi stuff.

I must check that out... maybe Uli was having a bad day... "Prologue..." is great! Really great playing.

rustoffa
11-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Just for the sake of someone not mentioned, Eric Clapton said that Duane Allman was one of the greatest guitar players he's ever seen.

DavidLeeNatra
11-16-2004, 07:35 PM

He get's some points for "Unleashing the Fookin Fury" though.

sorry, elvis, and all you yngwie lovers...I totally agree on that. he is a scale rider and bored me to death after a few minutes. and the substance of the music was like "hey, singer, shut the fuck up I wanna play solo"...

but maybe I'm not that fair because I was to a workshop where a really fucked up and drunk vince-neill-fat yngwie made a horrible performance...

I vote for keith richards... ;)

HELLVIS
11-16-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Well I always look at these topics from a personal perspective.

Randy influenced me personally, as much, if not more than EVH.
The fact that they were both out there at the same time is irrelevant
to me. In fact Randy to me was like Eddie, without the same scales
over and over again. Personally I think Randy raised the benchmark.
To this day he has a huge impact on aspiring guitarists.
My local guitar shop has more Randy Rhoads related material
(videos/tab books etc) than EVH..

You are preaching to the choir my man!:)

ELVIS
11-16-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra

but maybe I'm not that fair because I was to a workshop where a really fucked up and drunk vince-neill-fat yngwie made a horrible performance...

Yngwie is fat!

I saw him in new Orleans this year, and his belly is huge !!

He really was drunk ??

Rikk
11-17-2004, 12:17 AM
BTW, Randy had a girlfriend at the time of his death...

And he was fucking Sharon Osbourne.:(

ALMOSTsaved
11-17-2004, 12:32 AM
Yngwie absolutely did...

..and without Dave, you would be saying Ed who ??

Yngwie did it without someone like Dave...

Disagree. Yngwie is just a full on scale jacking masturbatory acrobat. Despise him. He misses the musical point EVERY time.

Unleash the fuckin' fury.

ALMOSTsaved
11-17-2004, 12:35 AM

Point being is not that Yngwie is better than EVH but that Yngwie was as innovative, if not more innovative, than EVH.

Wrong. More people grew up wanting to BE Eddie than they did Yngwie.

DLRdelight!
11-17-2004, 12:35 AM
Eddy is a rock legend, Eddie is the best

LickMyCream
11-17-2004, 01:36 AM
I played violin since I was 3 years old. Oooooh Yngwie can play violin music on his guitar! Big fucking Deal.

Why doesn't he just go learn to play a freakin violin then.

Also, sure there may have been people doing SOME of the stuff Eddie has been doing before him, but that's like saying that Eddie wasn't innovative because someone fucking learned to pick a guitar before him.

Eddie had his own unique style. His own unique techniques that gave him unique sounds. Had a sense of rhythm and feel that gave him a unique sound, and a whole lot of other shit.

All Yngwie did was play a guitar like a violin.

Also, Yngwie comes from a classical background. Believe it or not, classical music is actually freaking EASY to compose or play once you get the hang of it. Hell it's probably one of the easiest types of music you can compose. Mainly because it's pretty straight forward, and the rhythms themselves are pretty simple because there aren't as many changes in note lengths as other types of music.

However, it really takes someone with a special something, to come up with riffs like the intro to Panama.

bueno bob
11-17-2004, 03:52 AM
I played violin since I was 3 years old. Oooooh Yngwie can play violin music on his guitar! Big fucking Deal.

Isn't that innovation? Granted, Blackmore put the original pavement on that freeway, but Malmsteen drove down it in a fuckin' ferrari.

Why doesn't he just go learn to play a freakin violin then.

I believe he can; if I remember correctly, Yngwie's fluent in just about anything that has strings on it...

Also, sure there may have been people doing SOME of the stuff Eddie has been doing before him, but that's like saying that Eddie wasn't innovative because someone fucking learned to pick a guitar before him.

I don't think anybody's saying that, I think the point is that Ed didn't exactly invent a brand new style of playing anymore than Malmsteen did, per se...it's just that they did it better and put more flash on it...

Eddie had his own unique style. His own unique techniques that gave him unique sounds. Had a sense of rhythm and feel that gave him a unique sound, and a whole lot of other shit.

Same's true of Malmsteen. NOBODY shredded before he did LIKE he did, not even Ritchie.

All Yngwie did was play a guitar like a violin.

If you truly believe that, I'd suggest actually LISTENING to some of his albums. I can give you suggestions...

Also, Yngwie comes from a classical background.

True.

Believe it or not, classical music is actually freaking EASY to compose or play once you get the hang of it. Hell it's probably one of the easiest types of music you can compose. Mainly because it's pretty straight forward, and the rhythms themselves are pretty simple because there aren't as many changes in note lengths as other types of music.

I'm glad you're a musical genius. Where can I buy your albums?

However, it really takes someone with a special something, to come up with riffs like the intro to Panama.

Agreed. But it also takes something special to be able to pick up a guitar, learn it by ear, and develop a new style based on some intense classical pieces, combine them with hard rock and make something that hadn't been heard yet for the masses to imitate. Yngwie's an accomplished musician whether you like it or not, and that's my only point. He may not have sold as many albums as Edward did, but his contributions to heavy metal guitar playing have been JUST as important as Edwards.

LickMyCream
11-17-2004, 04:13 AM
you're missing the fucking point. Paganini was shredding over a hundred years before Yngwie. All Yngwie did was do it on guitar.

2nd I never said I was a musical genius. I just merely stated a fact that classical music is easy to compose.90% of classical music is almost sort of like a formula.

3rd, Yngwie can't play violin but he wants to learn because it's his favorite instrument. But I am not making any sort of statement with that comment. Just a fact that he says himself all the time. His brother can play violin though.

4th, classical music is easy to play on guitar. Well, on a electric. Hell the guitar was originally a classical instrument. If you wanna see some real classical guitar music, then go listen to a classical guitar player.

5th, Yngwie the first? *Cough Randy Cough*

6th, I am not saying Yngwie is a technically bad player. I am just saying that You can't even compare him to Eddie in terms of innovation. Sure Yngwie may be all flashy and stuff, but try listening to some VH albums again and this time, listen for the details. Yngwie can never come up with that kind of creativity.

7th, Sammy and Yngwie look like they would be nice partners

DavidLeeNatra
11-17-2004, 04:29 AM
Yngwie is fat!

I saw him in new Orleans this year, and his belly is huge !!

He really was drunk ??

yep...it was a shame. not that much people there anyway and some (including me) left early.

bueno bob
11-17-2004, 05:10 PM
you're missing the fucking point. Paganini was shredding over a hundred years before Yngwie. All Yngwie did was do it on guitar.

If Paginini did it on guitar, then I'd see your point. But nobody was doing it on guitar.

2nd I never said I was a musical genius. I just merely stated a fact that classical music is easy to compose.90% of classical music is almost sort of like a formula.

My sister's an accomplished classical musician, and she'd disagree.

3rd, Yngwie can't play violin but he wants to learn because it's his favorite instrument. But I am not making any sort of statement with that comment. Just a fact that he says himself all the time. His brother can play violin though.

OK, I wasn't sure.

4th, classical music is easy to play on guitar. Well, on a electric. Hell the guitar was originally a classical instrument. If you wanna see some real classical guitar music, then go listen to a classical guitar player.

Have done, many times.

5th, Yngwie the first? *Cough Randy Cough*

Randy and Yngwie both started up in the industry round abouts the same time, correct? Close enough for government work, as far as I'm concerned...and as far as direct classical playing, I think Yngwie accomplished worlds beyond what Randy did, personally. Not Randy's fault, since he died and all, but whereas Randy hinted at it to my ears, Yngwie detonated it.

6th, I am not saying Yngwie is a technically bad player. I am just saying that you can't even compare him to Eddie in terms of innovation.

Which is, I feel, utterly ludicrous.

Sure Yngwie may be all flashy and stuff, but try listening to some VH albums again and this time, listen for the details. Yngwie can never come up with that kind of creativity.

I disagree with you 300%.

I agree. I think they could come up with some amazing shit together.

On the whole, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, I guess. Later.

dave_is_vh
11-17-2004, 07:37 PM
I think we have found a new specie for the sheep pen.

All these people who say "Yngwie can't play, Yngwie's no good, all he does is play scales fast" are about as stupid and ignorant as people who say "Sammy Hagar is great, Van Halen better with Sammy Hagar, Dave is over the hill."

Some people have more perception and insight into good music than others unfortunately. Some people, despite the obvious evidence, refuse to admit that Dave is the heart and sould of Van Halen and everything the band has done since his departure is inferior to what they did with Dave. Some people, despite the obvious evidence, only hear speed when they listen to Yngwie and fail to hear the emotion and musical genious.

Anyone who listens to Yngwie play Black Star, Far Beyond The Sun, or Icarus Dream Suite and does not deem Yngwie a musical genious on the spot needs to check their pulse to make sure they are alive.

Just as trying to convince a deaf, closed minded Eddie sheep that Dave is the heart and soul of Van Halen is a pointless exercise, the same can be said in regard to getting the closed minded to appreciate Yngwie's gift.

bueno bob
11-17-2004, 10:37 PM

I fucked this up - I thought you said that EDDIE and Yngwie would be nice partners. I just re-read this and saw you said Sammy, so I again disagree with you 300%.

dave_is_vh
11-17-2004, 10:45 PM
[i] 7th, Sammy and Yngwie look like they would be nice partners [/B]

Possible names for their band include:
Larger Than Life
The Bigger The Better
Big Mac Fan Club

LickMyCream
11-18-2004, 12:00 AM
Tell me any good songs that Yngwie has played on other then Far Beyond the Sun, Black Star, and that other song off the album that has that dunuh nuh nuh nah nah nuh nuh opening.

Oh, and the reason why classical music is so easy to compose, is because there's very little rhythmic changes, and the rhythm themselves are quite simple. Go look at a piece of classical sheet music and you'll see what I mean.

jhale667
11-18-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
What about Roy Clark?

...There's a reason why Roy was pickin' and Buck was just grinnin'....:D

Having said that, I think Randy Rhoads was amazing, and did some astonishing things in the space of what, two years? Yngwie was brilliant at least for his first couple of releases. George Lynch kicks ass. Greg Howe is also a badass. And you can't forget John Sykes...

badhorsie
11-18-2004, 01:53 AM
Classical music is the easiest to compose?

Where the fuck are the modern day incarnations of Mozart/Beethoven/Paganini then?!

Some of the attempts to discredit what Yngwie has accomplished of the years is just absolutely silly.

He has influenced a TON of guitarists and bands over the years (take a look at most of the power metal/neoclassical european bands).

Yngwie inspired a ton of players to learn more about scales/modes and how to become an effecient player instead of playing the standard pentatonic/blues type playing,

ELVIS
11-18-2004, 02:03 AM
Paganini was shredding over a hundred years before Yngwie. All Yngwie did was do it on guitar.

That has to be the understatement of a lifetime!

You sir, have missed the point...

DavidLeeNatra
11-18-2004, 02:05 AM
Yngwie inspired a ton of players to learn more about scales/modes and how to become an effecient player instead of playing the standard pentatonic/blues type playing,

which I prefer ;)

ELVIS
11-18-2004, 02:08 AM
Me too...:D

Mr. G
11-18-2004, 02:13 AM
I can not think of any guitar player on this planet that has as large of a musical vocabulary as Steve Vai. Have you ever noticed that there are no Vai tribute bands? I don't think anyone can pull it off. When Steve was with Dave he played all of Ed's stuff easily, I doubt the same could be said of Ed, no matter what year. Obviously I am extremely biased especially since I spent ten years playing in a band that played Van Halen almost exclusively (not great I might add). So I am a big fan of Ed but I don't know.......

ELVIS
11-18-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Mr. G
I can not think of any guitar player on this planet that has as large of a musical vocabulary as Steve Vai.

Or a more boring one, aside from his work with Dave...

Have you ever noticed that there are no Vai tribute bands?

Yes, have you wondered why ??

I don't think anyone can pull it off.

It's not rocket science...

When Steve was with Dave he played all of Ed's stuff easily,

Now you are full of crap! I have all of the boots of Vai with Dave. He clearly struggles on the Van Halen material, AND IN FACT, HE CANT EVEN PLAY HIS OWN STUFF VERY WELL!

I doubt the same could be said of Ed, no matter what year.

Who knows, who cares...

Obviously I am extremely biased especially since I spent ten years playing in a band that played Van Halen almost exclusively (not great I might add). So I am a big fan of Ed but I don't know.......

You finally state the truth.. "I don't know"...

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 02:58 AM
Tell me any good songs that Yngwie has played on other then Far Beyond the Sun, Black Star, and that other song off the album that has that dunuh nuh nuh nah nah nuh nuh opening.

Steeler - Hot On Your Heels (intro, especially)
Alcatrazz - Incubus
Alcatrazz - Jet to Jet
Alcatrazz - Hiroshima Mon Amour
Alcatrazz - Kree Nakoorie
Evil Eye
Icarus' Dream Suite
Little Savage
Marching Out
Crying
Fire
Dark Ages
Trilogy Suite
Rising Force
Krakatau
Memories
Eclipse
Leviathan
Perpetual
Overture 1383
Overture 1622
Pyramid of Cheops
Seventh Sign
Brothers
Amberdawn
Crucify
Wield My Sword
Hanger 18, Area 51
The Stand
Leonardo
Blitzkrieg
The entire "Concerto for Electric Guitar & Orchestra" album
Wizard
War to End All Wars
Rise Up
Touch the Sky
I could go on....

LickMyCream
11-18-2004, 05:59 AM
Classical music IS the easiest to compose. It's a lot easier to make a decent classical piece then to make a good blues piece. Yes, Bach, Haydn, Beethoven etc were great composers, but they had to write orchestral scores. Most of the time having to write for more then 40 different instruments at once.

All Yngwie has to do is write guitar. He's not doing anything new. He's just doing it on a different instrument.

To even compare him to Eddie in terms of innovation is pure stupidity.

Also, to the guy that where are the Paganinis, Beethovens, etc of our time, You obviously don't listen to much classical music for one, there are still many great works being made. 2, Paganini was not famous for being a composer. He was famous for being a virtuoso. As in a shredder of his time. Complete with the long metal hair, rumors of being in league with the devil, having the church against him, etc. He was NOT a famous COMPOSER. He did write the 24 caprices, but they are not real songs. He made them as sort of like a benchmark for violinists to try to aim for. Excercises basically.

dave_is_vh
11-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Mr. G
I can not think of any guitar player on this planet that has as large of a musical vocabulary as Steve Vai.

Steve Vai is so overrated. I wish Dave never had Vai in his band. That way all these Vai fans wouldn't come here and bother us.

dave_is_vh
11-18-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob

Steeler - Hot On Your Heels (intro, especially)
Alcatrazz - Incubus
Alcatrazz - Jet to Jet
Alcatrazz - Hiroshima Mon Amour
Alcatrazz - Kree Nakoorie
Evil Eye
Icarus' Dream Suite
Little Savage
Marching Out
Crying
Fire
Dark Ages
Trilogy Suite
Rising Force
Krakatau
Memories
Eclipse
Leviathan
Perpetual
Overture 1383
Overture 1622
Pyramid of Cheops
Seventh Sign
Brothers
Amberdawn
Crucify
Wield My Sword
Hanger 18, Area 51
The Stand
Leonardo
Blitzkrieg
The entire "Concerto for Electric Guitar & Orchestra" album
Wizard
War to End All Wars
Rise Up
Touch the Sky
I could go on....

You are missing about 100 other great Yngwie songs.

Figs
11-18-2004, 10:02 AM
I believe Eddie Van Halen is the last guitar hero (to date). I'm speaking in terms of talent, influence, innovativeness, and fame.

I'm pretty sure even Mr. Roth stated he was the only guitar hero of the 80's. And I don't think there were any in the 90's or 00's.

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Figs
I believe Eddie Van Halen is the last guitar hero (to date). I'm speaking in terms of talent, influence, innovativeness, and fame.

I'm pretty sure even Mr. Roth stated he was the only guitar hero of the 80's. And I don't think there were any in the 90's or 00's.

We diluted guitar playing down to the Nirvana level in the 90s...it's never recovered...

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 11:30 AM
You are missing about 100 other great Yngwie songs.

I am thoroughly ashamed of myself. :D

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 11:31 AM
Steve Vai is so overrated. I wish Dave never had Vai in his band. That way all these Vai fans wouldn't come here and bother us.

Agreed. I've attested from day one here that I've never liked Steve Vai in the slightest...

hard rock
11-18-2004, 11:33 AM
the closest thing to a guitar hero in the 90`s in my opinion is Tom Morello from ratm and audioslave. He created some cool sounds and effects but still far from awe inspiring.

bueno bob
To even compare (Yngwie) to Eddie in terms of innovation is pure stupidity.

Go ask guitar players, professional musicians and industry magazine writers worldwide and see if they agree with you. If you think you're in the minority NOW...

bueno bob
Somebody needs to retitle this thread "Yngwie vs. Eddie" I guess...lol...

Wayne L.
11-18-2004, 11:51 AM
The " impact " of Eddie as a rock guitarist on the rock music scene was much more important & influential when VH exploded back in 78 just like other legendary rock guitarists before him like Clapton, Hendrix, Beck & Page than Steve Vai, Joe Satriani & Yngwie Malsteem combined despite the critics.

ODShowtime
11-18-2004, 11:55 AM
The only guitar players post VH that have really influenced me are probably Dean Deleo and Rich Robinson. Rich makes awesome riffs, but isn't exactly innovative.

Dean on the other hand is highly under-rated IMO. In a dangerous yet pop-rock context (same as VH in the early days), he has given us albums full of rock-solid riffs, many with simple sounding yet deceptively complicated time signatures. Also, he can lay down some wicked sounding solos. Not exactly shredding, but enough to satisfy whatever arena STP was playing at the time. His chord voicings are also pretty innovative, at least for rock songs. He can sound very ethereal and airy when necessary. Lifeson-esque in many ways. He also knows when it is time to just bust out the power chords.

Actually, Dave Navaro is cool too, but nothing too shocking from him.

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 12:02 PM
The " impact " of Eddie as a rock guitarist on the rock music scene was much more important & influential when VH exploded back in 78 just like other legendary rock guitarists before him like Clapton, Hendrix, Beck & Page than Steve Vai, Joe Satriani & Yngwie Malsteem combined despite the critics.

Uh, no. Vai, Satriani and Malmsteen contributed at least as much, it's just a generational thing and their contributions were of a different school of playing.

Listen, everybody can shit talk Malmsteen as much as they want, but to discredit his contributions to classical adaptation in guitar playing for rock music in general over the years is just plain fuckin' stupid, period. Much akin to saying "You know, Tony Iommi didn't contribute as much to heavy metal guitar as Kirk Hammet did!"

At the very least, Malmsteen's remained steady. Fuck, you look at Ed today and his past achievements are almost completely overshadowed by the dismal state he's been in as a player since 1986. What, exactly, has he done as a guitarist worth mentioning since Dave left?

NOTHING, save 2 tracks on the best of album.

I have not said once that Ed hasn't contributed a LOT to guitar playing and been a huge influence to guitarists worldwide. He has been. But to think that Ed's the greatest guitarist ever and nobody else has contributed jack shit since he burst on the scene in 78 is almost dangerously ignorant.

LickMyCream
11-18-2004, 12:46 PM
So what? You're gonna erase a man's past now? Ed has 5 great classic Van Halen albums that everyone has to admit are great.

All Yngwie has is Rising Force.

ZahZoo
11-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Y'all can go on all day about these "shred" masters... IMO the only people that brought game in the AE era (After Eddie) would be Eric Johnson in the tone/song writing dept and SRV in the Blues soul/balls dept... IMO of course...

Matt White
11-18-2004, 12:56 PM
Lets see:
Influenced Hard rock with neo-classical playing? check.
Introduced new technique: Sweep picking? check.
Scalloped fret board on electric guitar? check.
Sold cd's & toured without major radio OR label support for 20 years? check

Yup, Yngwie not doing so bad for himself.

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 01:33 PM
So what? You're gonna erase a man's past now?

Nope, didn't say that! Did you miss the part where I said "I have not said once that Ed hasn't contributed a LOT to guitar playing and been a huge influence to guitarists worldwide. He has been."? Try and pay attention.

Ed has 5 great classic Van Halen albums that everyone has to admit are great.

Please show me right the fuck where I said he didn't.

All Yngwie has is Rising Force.

So, you're gonna erase everything Yngwie's recorded in the time since now?

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Lets see:

Thank you Matt!

secrets
11-18-2004, 01:49 PM
As no one's mentioned him I'll say The Edge. Hugely original and very much imitated in the same way that Eddie was.

Matt White
11-18-2004, 01:55 PM
No Problem BOB!

Yeah, he debuts at #1 overseas, tours the world, records with symphonies, etc. etc.

Shit, Mike Varney would be a used car salesman if Yngwie hadn't come to the States in the 80's!
The new wave of Euro-Prog rock owns alot to him.

Yeah, Yngwie has had a HUGE (Not just his waist line!) impact on rock guitar.

flappo
11-18-2004, 02:34 PM
jeff beck and brian may

ZahZoo
11-18-2004, 02:40 PM
Sweep picking and scalloped fretboards... yeah LOL Yngwie invented those just like Edward invented tapping, pinch harmonics and whammy bar dives. Geez you kids should go study some guitar history before you prop up these guys as inovators of stuff that had been around decades before them...

scottydabodi
11-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Lets see:

Yngwie rocks! He's influenced TONS of guitarists... I mean, like, doesn't anyone remember going to a guitar shop on a saturday morning in the 80's, and EVERY kid was playing some Malmsteen riff, or another. He really did a lot, and shouldn't be dismissed as "just another fast guitarist with only ONE killer album"...

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 02:49 PM
According to everything I've read, Yngwie scalloped his own fretboard back when he was about 15 by hand and they've become a Fender standard in the time since on particular models, at least according to what Guitar magazine wrote about him. I could be wrong, I don't know...just basing my point on what I've read. I'm a bassist myself so guitar isn't my strong point, but I'm pretty confident that Yngwie was an influencial player...just ask Chris Impellitteri and Michael Angelo for starters, then you can certainly move on and ask guys like Paul Gilbert, Alex Masi, and Tony MacAlpine whether or not he influenced them...ask Steve Vai and Joe Satriani what they think about how influencial Yngwie's been...ask Blackmore himself what he thinks about Yngwie...ask Eddie...

Look, Malmsteen was a VERY influencial guitarist! How many hundreds of clones did HIS albums generate? The list is absolutely staggering! That is the POINT right there, folks.

Brett
11-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Yngwie technically is incredible, but he is the worst fucking songwriter. "Evil Eye" is a brilliant piece of work however. When I've seen him live, he's fun to watch for about 3 songs, then you realize he's doing the same fucking solo in every song. The same legato shit, the same sweeps. And the songs are absolutely atrocious. As a guitar player though, of course it's jaw dropping to see a guy play that fast and that clean. It is unreal.

It was big in the 80's to say you liked Yngwie, because hardly anyone but the true guitar nuts even knew who the fuck he was.

What is this huge list of Yngwie clones?? Fuck I can't think of any players that remind me of Yngwie. Let's hear.

Brett
11-18-2004, 03:07 PM
Yngwie rocks! He's influenced TONS of guitarists... I mean, like, doesn't anyone remember going to a guitar shop on a saturday morning in the 80's, and EVERY kid was playing some Malmsteen riff, or another. He really did a lot, and shouldn't be dismissed as "just another fast guitarist with only ONE killer album"...

What's his one killer album? Rising Force? Trilogy?

scottydabodi
11-18-2004, 03:09 PM
Anyone who played fast metal guitar in the 80's... I didn't realize we were talking about songwriters, I thought this was an "inflential guitar player" thread...

Denny
11-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Lets see:

Richie Blackmore did the Scalloped Neck gig before Yngwie, I think.

In fact, Richie Blackmore and EVH are CREDITED for Inventing Neo-Classical rock....

Denny
11-18-2004, 03:11 PM
But..........The Beatles were using Harpsichords on their records in 1965, It is best heard on "In My Life"

scottydabodi
11-18-2004, 03:14 PM
The Beatles were influenced by classical, as was Blackmore, but we also gotta remember YES.

Brett
11-18-2004, 03:14 PM
Anyone who played fast metal guitar in the 80's... I didn't realize we were talking about songwriters, I thought this was an "inflential guitar player" thread...

I figured we were talking the whole package.

You think most 80's shredders were influenced by Yngwie? Bullshit. He wasn't even relevant to the guitar-playing world until what 1984, or 1985. You think anybody thought much of his work in Steeler, or Alcatrazz?

Look the guy could play, but Eddie was the driving force behind all 80's shredding. It all came from what Ed did. Shredding had already hit the scene beyond Ed before Yngwie was even relevant, that's what I'm saying.

Brett
11-18-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Denny
In fact, Richie Blackmore and EVH are CREDITED for Inventing Neo-Classical rock....

Fuck Den, I might actually agree with you there.

Rikk
11-18-2004, 03:19 PM
But..........The Beatles were using Harpsichords on their records in 1965, It is best heard on "In My Life"

Good point, but that's no harpsichord. It's a piano recorded at double-speed. They did use harpsichord on other recordings, though...including FIXING A HOLE. Mind you, lots of the British bands started using harpsichord in the mid-60s, including THE KINKS, THE ROLLING STONES and THE WHO.

Denny
11-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Brett

You think most 80's shredders were influenced by Yngwie? Bullshit. He wasn't even relevant to the guitar-playing world until what 1984, or 1985. You think anybody thought much of his work in Steeler, or Alcatrazz?

Look the guy could play, but Eddie was the driving force behind all 80's shredding. It all came from what Ed did. Shredding had already hit the scene beyond Ed before Yngwie was even relevant, that's what I'm saying.

EVH learnt 90% of his Shred stuff from Allan Holdworth and Al DiMieola, BTW.

:eek:

Brett
11-18-2004, 03:29 PM
Yep it's a piano on "In My Life" played by George Martin. They actually played the song back at a slow speed, and he recorded it over the slow speed. When they sped it back up to normal speed, it sounds like a harpsichord.

The did use a harpsichord on "Strawberry Fields" too.

Denny
11-18-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
Good point, but that's no harpsichord. It's a piano recorded at double-speed. They did use harpsichord on other recordings, though...including FIXING A HOLE. Mind you, lots of the British bands started using harpsichord in the mid-60s, including THE KINKS, THE ROLLING STONES and THE WHO.

Actually......It was Frank Zappa who INVENTED the whole Rock/Orchestral/Classical thing on 200 Motels in 1971 on the Track "Strictly Genteel"

:)

Brett
11-18-2004, 03:30 PM
EVH learnt 90% of his Shred stuff from Allan Holdworth and Al DiMieola, BTW.

:eek:

Yep, also took bits and pieces from Blackmore. There's a lot of Blackmore in Ed's early playing.

Denny
11-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Yep, also took bits and pieces from Blackmore. There's a lot of Blackmore in Ed's early playing. \

Pete Townshend was Another HUGE influence on Eddie Van Halen

scottydabodi
11-18-2004, 03:35 PM

Name an "80's Shredder" that wasn't influenced by Yngwie... Every Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman, and Tony MacAlpine to come down the pike tried out Malmsteen licks. Did he infuence AS MUCH, per se, as Ed? No. But did he have tremendous influence? Yes.

Brett
11-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Dude you're talking about players that came out the same time Yngwie did. They couldn't have been influenced by a guy they never heard.

I just don't hear Yngwie in that much of Paul Gilbert's playing...hell even Marty Friedman. Marty sounds much more like Satch disciple.

Denny
11-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Dude you're talking about players that came out the same time Yngwie did. They couldn't have been influenced by a guy they never heard.

I just don't hear Yngwie in that much of Paul Gilbert's playing...hell even Marty Friedman. Marty sounds much more like Satch disciple.

Satriani is a fucking hack, I don't give a fuck what anybody says.....

He taught Steve Vai? A little Bit yes but 99% of Vai knows as a MUSICIAN Vai learned from Frank Zappa.

Frank Zappa is GOD.

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 03:48 PM
When people think of Van Halen, they think of David Lee Roth.

When musicians think of shred, they think of Yngwie Malmsteen.

These are guitarists today who I know of that have directly cited Yngwie as influencial to them, even if they had careers BEFORE hearing his record...they were amazed, blown away, or inspired to learn to play better...directly as a result of reading various interviews with various musicians over the years, these are the people who have mentioned him in HIGH regard, one way or the other (that I can remember off-hand):

Michael Angelo
Tony MacAlpine
Chris Impellitteri
The Great Kat
Vinnie Moore
Alex Masi
Mark Wood (although he took it to violin)
Joe Stump
John Petrucci
Richie Kotzen
Tore Ostby
Carljohan Grimmark
Mike Chlasciak
Chris Amott
Mattias Eklundh
Jason Becker
Marty Friedman
Paul Gilbert
Criss Oliva (RIP)
Chris Caffery
Al Pitrelli
Jack Frost
Nick Bowcott
Kirk Hammet
Tracy G
Peter Lindgren
Reb Beach
Michael Akerfeldt

That's JUST off the top of my head, guitarist who have called Malmsteen an "inspiration", "amazing", "talented", "gifted", "an inspiration", etc., etc.

Ritchie Blackmore, George Lynch, Uli Jon Roth, John Norum, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and Edward Van Halen have all spoken positively of his playing.

I'd say Yngwie isn't exactly a NOBODY guitarist, hmm?

Brett
11-18-2004, 03:48 PM
I'm not a huge Satch fan, but "Surfing With The Alien" has some cools stuff on it.

ZahZoo
11-18-2004, 03:50 PM
According to everything I've read, Yngwie scalloped his own fretboard back when he was about 15 by hand and they've become a Fender standard in the time since on particular models, at least according to what Guitar magazine wrote about him. I could be wrong, I don't know...just basing my point on what I've read. I'm a bassist myself so guitar isn't my strong point, but I'm pretty confident that Yngwie was an influencial player...just ask Chris Impellitteri and Michael Angelo for starters, then you can certainly move on and ask guys like Paul Gilbert, Alex Masi, and Tony MacAlpine whether or not he influenced them...ask Steve Vai and Joe Satriani what they think about how influencial Yngwie's been...ask Blackmore himself what he thinks about Yngwie...ask Eddie...

Look, Malmsteen was a VERY influencial guitarist! How many hundreds of clones did HIS albums generate? The list is absolutely staggering! That is the POINT right there, folks.

Bob, scalloped fretboards go back into history into music from India employing a lot of string bends and such. Dick Dale used some in the 50's when building his King of Surf Music empire. Jazz guitarist John McLaughlin was using scalloped fretboards and shreding back in the 60's as well as Mathew Montfort was using them in the 70's doing fusion as well. Blackmore was also using scalloped fretboards well before Malmstem found his way to the stage...

scottydabodi
11-18-2004, 03:51 PM

Ask Paul next time you meet him how influential Malsteen was on his playing... Listen to Cacophony before making assumptions about Marty's playing. He hopped on the neo-classical bandwagon just like everyone else did after Malmsteen made it "Metal" to do so... Yngwie wasn't the first, but he had his impact on playing. I remember cuz I was there. If you hung out at Berklee Music School in 1988, you'd know what I mean.

Denny
11-18-2004, 03:53 PM
When people think of Van Halen, they think of David Lee Roth.

When musicians think of shred, they think of Yngwie Malmsteen.

These are guitarists today who I know of that have directly cited Yngwie as influencial to them, even if they had careers BEFORE hearing his record...they were amazed, blown away, or inspired to learn to play better...directly as a result of reading various interviews with various musicians over the years, these are the people who have mentioned him in HIGH regard, one way or the other (that I can remember off-hand):

Michael Angelo
Tony MacAlpine
Chris Impellitteri
The Great Kat
Vinnie Moore
Alex Masi
Mark Wood (although he took it to violin)
Joe Stump
John Petrucci
Richie Kotzen
Tore Ostby
Carljohan Grimmark
Mike Chlasciak
Chris Amott
Mattias Eklundh
Jason Becker
Marty Friedman
Paul Gilbert
Criss Oliva (RIP)
Chris Caffery
Al Pitrelli
Jack Frost
Nick Bowcott
Kirk Hammet
Tracy G
Peter Lindgren
Reb Beach
Michael Akerfeldt

That's JUST off the top of my head, guitarist who have called Malmsteen an "inspiration", "amazing", "talented", "gifted", "an inspiration", etc., etc.

Ritchie Blackmore, George Lynch, Uli Jon Roth, John Norum, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and Edward Van Halen have all spoken positively of his playing.

I'd say Yngwie isn't exactly a NOBODY guitarist, hmm?

Malmsteen is Amazing but he uses the same fucking Mode and Scale(in different keys) for every solo :(

Although Vai uses the Lydian Mode constantly is his playing(Zappa used that Mode ALOT too).

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 03:54 PM
Wasn't aware, Zaz :) Thanks for the input.

Brett
11-18-2004, 03:55 PM
When people think of Van Halen, they think of the band. Maybe on this site they think of Dave. Whatever, I'm not going to sit and argue that nonsense.

Again you guys are totally misconstruing what I said. There are PLENTY of players that were contemporaries of Yngwie that appreciate his playing. I don't question that, but I do question this slew of 80's shredders you guys say were influenced by him.

And seriously, I have never seen Ed say anything nice about anyone's playing, and never anything at all about Yngwie.

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 03:56 PM
*disclaimer...just to make the naysayers happy...*

OK, you know what? Fuck it. I'll go on the line as saying that Yngwie Malmsteen isn't a influencial guitarist, nor did he ever inspire ANYBODY, NOT ONE SINGLE MOTHER FUCKIN' PERSON, to pick up a guitar.

Yngwie didn't do anything that every Tom, Dick and Harry was doing in their sleep 2,000,000 years before him and every accolade and credit Yngwie's gotten has been obtained by theft, blackmail, lies and scandal.

ANYTHING that Yngwie can do on guitar can be done by a 4 year old the first time he picks up a guitar, except the 4 year old can do it better, faster, cleaner and write cooler music than Yngwie because Yngwie's just a non-phenom who makes William Hung look like a musical genius.

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 03:57 PM
And seriously, I have never seen Ed say anything nice about anyone's playing, and never anything at all about Yngwie.

I believe what I read was short, sweet and simple..."He's a cool player, lot of talent" and that was about it. But still.

Brett
11-18-2004, 03:57 PM
I'd say Randy Rhoads brought the neo-classical thing to to forefront of mainstream metal two or three years before Malmsteen.

Yep next time I see Marty or Paul, I'll ask them who their biggest influences were back in the 80's. You got it man. And after I do that, I'll fly to the moon. :)

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 03:58 PM
When people think of Van Halen, they think of the band. Maybe on this site they think of Dave.

Mass America thinks of the "Jump" video. ;)

bueno bob
And after I do that, I'll fly to the moon. :)

Are you comin' back, bud? :)

scottydabodi
When people think of Van Halen, they think of the band. Maybe on this site they think of Dave. Whatever, I'm not going to sit and argue that nonsense.

Again you guys are totally misconstruing what I said. There are PLENTY of players that were contemporaries of Yngwie that appreciate his playing. I don't question that, but I do question this slew of 80's shredders you guys say were influenced by him.

Quotes like these just prove what you DON'T know...

PS- I did see Yngwie play the tapping sequence from "Eruption" with one hand while Yawning with the other... pretty fuckin' funny! 1983.

Brett
11-18-2004, 03:59 PM
Come on Bob, you don't need to get so defensive over Yngwie. I like his playing, fuck I've seen the guy live 3 times. I just don't see him as this huge influential player on 80's mainstream metal.

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Come on Bob, you don't need to get so defensive over Yngwie. I like his playing, fuck I've seen the guy live 3 times. I just don't see him as this huge influential player on 80's mainstream metal.

I'm just shittin' around, no big deal :D

Brett
11-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Quotes like these just prove what you DON'T know...

PS- I did see Yngwie play the tapping sequence from "Eruption" with one hand while Yawning with the other... pretty fuckin' funny! 1983.

How does one yawn with their hand? :)

Explain to me what I'm wrong about? Actually don't, I'm so not into an argument over Yngwie's cuntributions to music. Considering I happen to enjoy his playing.

Brett
11-18-2004, 04:02 PM
I'm just shittin' around, no big deal :D

Fucker. :)

scottydabodi
11-18-2004, 04:03 PM
OK, listen , WHEN YOU YAWN, don't you cover your mouth with one hand?? What am I, your MOM?

bueno bob
I think he meant "making a fist, bringing to his mouth and THEN yawning" :)

I didn't know about that, but that's funny!

bueno bob
Fucker. :)

You know me! :D

Denny
11-18-2004, 04:04 PM

He was a HUGE influence on '80's Metal.Satch didn't influence nothing.

Vai did but he didn't truly OWN things until "Passion and Warfare" that was in 1990.........

In 1991, Nirvana and the Seattle/Grunge scene happened and that was the end of "Shred".

scottydabodi
11-18-2004, 04:04 PM
METAL JOHN 3:16 says "GO HOME AND PRACTICE!!"

YOWW!!!!

scottydabodi
11-18-2004, 04:05 PM
I think he meant "making a fist, bringing to his mouth and THEN yawning" :)

I didn't know about that, but that's funny!

Dude, it was hysterical...

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 04:10 PM
In 1991, Nirvana and the Seattle/Grunge scene happened and that was the end of "Shred".

Yup. There are still a few brave souls fighting down the road, but overall 1991 was the final death bell.

Unless you actually believed the sticker on your cover of Yngwie's "Fire and Ice" album from 92 which said "CONTAINS THE HIT SINGLE 'TEASER'!!" :rolleyes:

Brett
11-18-2004, 04:10 PM
OK, listen , WHEN YOU YAWN, don't you cover your mouth with one hand?? What am I, your MOM?

I don't know, were you fucking my dad in April of 1970 when I was conceived? :)

Dude, I want to see video of him doing that Eruption tapping with one hand, he must have the biggest stretch known to mankind.

scottydabodi
11-18-2004, 04:16 PM
I don't know, were you fucking my dad in April of 1970 when I was conceived?

Yup.

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 04:18 PM
Yup.

You, sir, are BAAAAD ASSSSSS :D

Damn near fell out of my seat when I saw that!

scottydabodi
11-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Haha!!:baaa:

scottydabodi
11-18-2004, 04:24 PM
... the biggest stretch known to mankind.

Umm, that would be Sam's ass...

Brett
11-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Jesus, LOL.

dave_is_vh
11-18-2004, 04:48 PM
I just don't hear Yngwie in that much of Paul Gilbert's playing.

Did you know that Paul Gilbert recorded a song called Yngwie Rip Off (YRO)? It is on the first Racer X CD.

dave_is_vh
11-18-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by ZahZoo
Bob, scalloped fretboards go back into history into music from India employing a lot of string bends and such. Dick Dale used some in the 50's when building his King of Surf Music empire. Jazz guitarist John McLaughlin was using scalloped fretboards and shreding back in the 60's as well as Mathew Montfort was using them in the 70's doing fusion as well. Blackmore was also using scalloped fretboards well before Malmstem found his way to the stage...

Actually if you go far enough back in time you would know that tapping was invented in 1582 BC by a sitar player in India.

Brett
11-18-2004, 04:52 PM
HAHA no, I'll have to listen to that. Guy I know actually was a big Racer X fan.

dave_is_vh
11-18-2004, 04:54 PM

Joe Average rock fan would not recognize a Van Hagar song if it bit him in the ass.

Brett
11-18-2004, 05:05 PM
Joe Average rock fan doesn't care about Van Halen period anymore.

dave_is_vh
11-18-2004, 05:10 PM
Joe Average rock fan doesn't care about Van Halen period anymore.

And probably never will again.

And they could have been only American band in the same category as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and Led Zeppelin.

What a waste.

Brett
11-18-2004, 05:15 PM
You can blame A LOT of people for it. Dave is no more immune than the rest of them.

dave_is_vh
11-18-2004, 05:17 PM
You can blame A LOT of people for it. Dave is no more immune than the rest of them.

At the end of the day, I really think it is Michael Anthony's fault.

Brett
11-18-2004, 05:19 PM
HAHA. You know what, it probably is. :)

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 05:21 PM
YRO is a hot piece, no shittin'....I love the first two Racer X albums - actually, everything they've done has been outstanding save for Live Extreme Volume II...and the latest album is a bit hard to swallow :)

I, for one, think ALL of the blame for Van Halen's failure to realize it's own potential should fall squarely on Steve Kuser.

dave_is_vh
11-18-2004, 05:27 PM
Who is Steve Kuser?

Brett
11-18-2004, 05:28 PM
I was afraid to ask.

dave_is_vh
11-18-2004, 05:30 PM
I love the first two Racer X albums

Racer X's second CD, Second Heat, is one of the 10 greatest metal CDs of all time IMO. Paul Gilbert was an ass for abandoning Racer X to go play with Billy "I Wish I Was A Guitar Player" Sheehan. And Mr. Big was a waste.

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Who is Steve Kuser?

Steve Kuser is the guy that Stoney wanted to tell about finding Brendan Fraser in "Encino Man".

Steve Kuser seems to be responsible for everything, and I've done research to confirm this.

LickMyCream
11-18-2004, 05:34 PM
Lets see:

Let's see

Yngwie is definately not the first to do neo classical rock. Any one who has played a classical music before, and picked up a guitar would have done it.

Sweep Picking. Ok I'll give him credit for using the technique in a way that it wasn't used before.

Scalloped Fretboard: Um No that was a RITCHIE BLACKMORE thing.

Sold cd's and toured without major help: How many other artists have done that? Hell Yngwie doesn't even sell that many CDs and shit anymore. If credit is to be given for being successful without major label help or commercialization, it should go to the B'z from Japan. They barely ever go out on TV and when they do, it's only because of high demand. Yet they sold more albums then Aerosmith.

Also, i'll just put it clearly. All those 80's guitarist were copying ED. Not YNGWIE.

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Racer X's second CD, Second Heat, is one of the 10 greatest metal CDs of all time IMO. Paul Gilbert was an ass for abandoning Racer X to go play with Billy "I Wish I Was A Guitar Player" Sheehan. And Mr. Big was a waste.

"I'm the one who wants to pack your fudge..."

You're no shitting Mr. Big was a waste! I figured SOMETHING decent would come out of Paul, Billy and Pat, but lo and behold I bought the album for nada...it's just a damn shame it took so long for Racer X to get their shit back together, but Technical Difficulties proved to me that they really didn't lose anything over the span.

To this day, I cannot drive to the beach without listening to Second Heat along the way. It became tradition back in high school for me and it's stayed that way since :)

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 05:37 PM
Also, i'll just put it clearly. All those 80's guitarist were copying ED. Not YNGWIE.

OK, buddy.

dave_is_vh
11-18-2004, 05:38 PM
The drum into to Scarified is permanently stuck in my head.

How about that scream towards the end of Lady Killer.

Paul and Bruce playing Yngwie licks in harmony.

It doesn't get any better than that.

dave_is_vh
11-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Lets see:

Let's see

Yngwie is definately not the first to do neo classical rock. Any one who has played a classical music before, and picked up a guitar would have done it.

Sweep Picking. Ok I'll give him credit for using the technique in a way that it wasn't used before.

Scalloped Fretboard: Um No that was a RITCHIE BLACKMORE thing.

Sold cd's and toured without major help: How many other artists have done that? Hell Yngwie doesn't even sell that many CDs and shit anymore. If credit is to be given for being successful without major label help or commercialization, it should go to the B'z from Japan. They barely ever go out on TV and when they do, it's only because of high demand. Yet they sold more albums then Aerosmith.

Some losers have nothing better to do than discrediting the achievements of successful people. I guess it makes them feel like they are accomplishing something with their worthless lives.

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 05:42 PM
The drum into to Scarified is permanently stuck in my head.

How about that scream towards the end of Lady Killer.

Paul and Bruce playing Yngwie licks in harmony.

It doesn't get any better than that.

SCARIFIED!!! IMO, the best instrumental they ever recorded...and man, it is HOT AS HELL on their Snowball of Doom live album! Pretty much anything Scott Travis plays is badass, anyway :)

God damn, I gotta go listen to the CD now!

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Some losers have nothing better to do than discrediting the achievements of successful people. I guess it makes them feel like they are accomplishing something with their worthless lives.

I guess. I mean, somewhere down the road, Yngwie has to be given some credit as being a TREMENDOUSLY influencial guitarist in the 80s to a great many people...I even gave a list of succesful musicians who've ADMITTED being blown away by him at the minimum and directly influenced at the most...the last resort of the desperate when confronted with evidence is to just ignore it, I guess...

Well, to bottom-line it, Yngwie spawned a shitload of Yngwie-clones, established virtuoso neo-classical shred as a marketable commodity to a specific audience (the Mike Varney reference) and basically brought it out into the spotlight for a bit. And it saved the guitar world from drowning in a sea of tapping, which gave everybody something new to scratch their heads over.

Anybody who can't admit at least that much simply wasn't there or has their head buried in the sand.

ZahZoo
11-18-2004, 06:06 PM
Yngwie brought a new dimension to shred with neo-classical structures in the foundation. The guy does some amazing shit!! No doubt about it. Not the 1st guy for either aspect but it would be disrespectful to say he wasn't innovative... Influential in some aspects as well.

I guess as the original question as posed was who had as much as Edward after the 78 debut... that's a tough one. Edward was a pretty significant change to the overall genre of rock guitar not only in playing but in song writing as well.

Most of the folks mentioned so far have all been really good guitarists but IMO most have just been small evolutionary contributions rather than a wholesale change to the way guitar and songwriting was approached. At present I really don't see too many that I would put as big of influences as Hendrix and Edward in the last 40 years. You got your Harrison, Page, Beck, Santana, Iommi, Yngwie, Satch, Vai, SRV, Angus, Rhodes, Blackmore, Holdsworth, etc... But of that list... none really stand out but a few...

Roth & Roll
11-18-2004, 06:09 PM
I know Steve Vai & Joe Satriani are great rock guitarists in their own right but they weren't as important & influential as Eddie after the VH explosion back in 78 no matter if they were much better as some critics say. You have to be one of the biggest idiots on the planet if you think Mick Mars, Ritchie Sambora & C. C. Deville are great rock guitarists in the same leagues as Eddie Van Halen but Slash is a great guitarist in his own right. BTW, I'm not mentioning the late, great SRV because he was more of a blues guitarist.

Since you're not counting Stevie Ray; the answer to your question is none.

Brett
11-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Steve Kuser is the guy that Stoney wanted to tell about finding Brendan Fraser in "Encino Man".

Steve Kuser seems to be responsible for everything, and I've done research to confirm this.

LOL man I can't believe you remembered that.

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 08:18 PM
LOL man I can't believe you remembered that.

Steve Kuser is the enemy.

NEVER forget that.

LickMyCream
11-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Most of the folks mentioned so far have all been really good guitarists but IMO most have just been small evolutionary contributions rather than a wholesale change to the way guitar and songwriting was approached. At present I really don't see too many that I would put as big of influences as Hendrix and Edward in the last 40 years. You got your Harrison, Page, Beck, Santana, Iommi, Yngwie, Satch, Vai, SRV, Angus, Rhodes, Blackmore, Holdsworth, etc... But of that list... none really stand out but a few...

Exactly. Anyone who thinks Yngwie has has as great of a influence as Eddie are just Yngwie fan boys having their heads stuck up their asses.

Let's read the original topic of those post shall we?

Which rock guitarists had B]As Much[/B] influence as Eddie Van Halen after the VH explosion?

Now, don't get me wrong, Yngwie is a good guitarist but he does not even hold a candle to the scale of innovation and influence Eddie brought to guitar.

You wanna know my honest opinion on who if any had as much influence AFTER the VH explosion? Kurt Cobain. Yes, I hate Nirvana and that dumbed down rock too but at least i'm being HONEST and not just shouting out the name of your favorite guitarist.

Kurt Cobain definately changed the music scene at the time. In a noticable way. It may not exactly be VH, but if you're talking about AFTER the VH explosion, then there really was no one really as influential as him.

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Exactly. Anyone who thinks Yngwie has had as great of a influence as Eddie are just Yngwie fan boys having their heads stuck up their asses.

You come across as an Eddie fanboy with your head up your ass based on the fact that you won't listen.

Let's read the original topic of those post shall we?

Why bother, when the only point you'll listen to is your own?

Which rock guitarists had As Much influence as Eddie Van Halen after the VH explosion?

Oh nobody I guess. Yup, God made Eddie Van Halen and there hasn't been a decent guitarist with ANY influence at all ever since! NOBODY'S been influenced to pick up a 6 string AT ALL, EVER, unless they heard Eddie Van Halen first! Hey, did you know Eddie Van Halen actually INVENTED the guitar? True story! He went back in a time machine and did it!

Now, don't get me wrong, Yngwie is a good guitarist...

Not according to you...several of your posts have went to great lengths to point out how "simple" his music is, how "unoriginal" his music is and what a bad songwriter he is. Sounds to me like you don't really think very highly of him at all.

...but he does not even hold a candle to the scale of innovation and influence Eddie brought to guitar.

Of course he doesn't! Because there's never been a creative artist to touch a guitar after Eddie Van Halen, right? Anybody's who's even touched a 6 string since 1978 did so EXCLUSIVELY because of Eddie...

You wanna know my honest opinion on who if any had as much influence AFTER the VH explosion? Kurt Cobain.

:rolleyes:

Yes, I hate Nirvana and that dumbed down rock too but at least i'm being HONEST and not just shouting out the name of your favorite guitarist.

Malmsteen is most certainly NOT my favorite guitarist - I'm just too smart to immediately write him off as uninfluencial to the industry and the approach to guitar in general as it relates to rock/metal.

Kurt Cobain definately changed the music scene at the time in a noticable way. It may not exactly be VH, but if you're talking about AFTER the VH explosion, then there really was no one really as influential as him.

I'm sure millions of Nirvana's fans around the world who were all of 13 years old back then would agree with you totally.

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 09:25 PM
...not just shouting out the name of your favorite guitarist.

Now if I were to do THAT, I'd be saying Criss Oliva.

Criss was so incredibly talented it was hard to believe. More talent in his fingers than Edward and Yngwie COMBINED.

He was capable of doing shit in his sleep that would have made the both of them cry in dispair and give up guitar in disgust.

His loss was one of the greatest tragedies the modern music world will never know of.

Denny
11-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Now if I were to do THAT, I'd be saying Criss Oliva.

Criss was so incredibly talented it was hard to believe. More talent in his fingers than Edward and Yngwie COMBINED.

He was capable of doing shit in his sleep that would have made the both of them cry in dispair and give up guitar in disgust.

His loss was one of the greatest tragedies the modern music world will never know of.

One of the biggest tragedy's in Music was Jason Becker getting Lou Gierigs disease :(

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 09:32 PM
One of the biggest tragedy's in Music was Jason Becker getting Lou Gierigs disease :(

That too.

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 09:42 PM
OK! I've got one!

ESTEBAN!!!

ELVIS
11-18-2004, 09:42 PM
:D

bueno bob
11-18-2004, 09:44 PM
It's all those Grammy's he's won, you know.

Matt White
11-18-2004, 10:16 PM

Which rock guitarists had B]As Much influence as Eddie Van Halen after the VH explosion?
[/B]

Well, since we're not mincing words, lets get down to the brass text. NOBODY has had the impact of EVH since EVH. NOBODY. Beatin' your gums over your own personal fav ain't gonna change the fact. EVH is the "King of 6 strings and 10 fingers" to quote DAVE himself. And, as DAVE said in the EARLY 80's "EVH is the LAST guitar hero." 'Cause anybody that came after him is second best.
The guy is a shitty human, but he was THE MAN in his day.

LickMyCream
11-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Exactly

JCOOK
11-18-2004, 10:26 PM
FORD playing unchained "unbelievable"

JCOOK OR THE GRAVE!

ODShowtime
11-18-2004, 10:29 PM
Well, since we're not mincing words, lets get down to the brass text. NOBODY has had the impact of EVH since EVH. NOBODY. Beatin' your gums over your own personal fav ain't gonna change the fact. EVH is the "King of 6 strings and 10 fingers" to quote DAVE himself. And, as DAVE said in the EARLY 80's "EVH is the LAST guitar hero." 'Cause anybody that came after him is second best.

Exactly. That's why Dean Deleo was the best I could come up with.

rustoffa
11-18-2004, 10:32 PM
The guy is a shitty human, but he was THE MAN in his day.

Read and heed.
Like the nature boy yells:
WOOOOOOOOO!!

scottydabodi
11-19-2004, 03:55 AM
Yep next time I see Marty or Paul, I'll ask them who their biggest influences were back in the 80's. You got it man. And after I do that, I'll fly to the moon. :)

Just what I thought...

scottydabodi
11-19-2004, 04:01 AM
SCARIFIED!!! IMO, the best instrumental they ever recorded...and man, it is HOT AS HELL on their Snowball of Doom live album! Pretty much anything Scott Travis plays is badass, anyway :)

God damn, I gotta go listen to the CD now!

I have a video bootleg of Racer X doin' "Scarified" in a rehearsal studio with Chris Darvin(Paul's replacement after he went to Mr.Big)... Dude, it's SHIT HOT!!

ELVIS
11-19-2004, 04:11 AM
What exactly is "shit hot" ??

Would that mean it's good or bad ??

scottydabodi
11-19-2004, 04:17 AM
What exactly is "shit hot" ??

Would that mean it's good or bad ??

Err, It means good... sorry for the confusion...

ELVIS
11-19-2004, 04:29 AM
Thankya...:D

hard rock
11-19-2004, 07:34 AM
Hey a few things "secrets" look at post # 83 i mentioned the Edge from U2. sorry i bet you to the punch. Good eye and ear you picked up on the same talents that i did. 5 stars for u

all this talk about shred etc etc personally speaking shredders do nothing for me. Genes Simmons said it best once that you can have a guy playing 50 notes a second and it wont grab you by the balls as 2 good notes played with emotion. an example of that for me would be

David Gilmours solo on comfortably numb. that solo has no shred no tapping but son of bitch when i hear that solo i get put into a trance. Anyone out there Know what i am talking about.

hard rock
11-19-2004, 07:37 AM
David gilmours solo on money and time are others that pop in my mind as well. other Examples solos by Carlos Santana, Stevie ray Vaughan. Eric claptons solo on cocaine another. the list can go on and on.

Much more inspirational than hearing little electric bumble bees floating in the airwaves.

nosuchluck
11-19-2004, 08:57 AM
i like crayons.
do you like crayons?

DaveIsKing
11-19-2004, 09:31 AM
My Favorites....

EDDIE VAN HALEN
JIMMY PAGE
DAVID GILMOUR

In reality, all these others can play fast and juke around alot, but Eddie, Pagey, and Gilmour knew how to draw something OUT of the guitar that few else could or can now. They knew how to work a guitar to such perfection in the ears of the fan, that it didn't matter of David Gilmour could play 100 miles an hour, but when you heard the solo in "Comfortably Numb", you were mezmerized.

These three are GODS of the GUITAR.

scottydabodi
11-19-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by hard rock
David Gilmours solo on comfortably numb. that solo has no shred no tapping but son of bitch when i hear that solo i get put into a trance. Anyone out there Know what i am talking about.

I got put into a trance by "The Twilight Zone" marathon last Christmas on Sci-Fi, and then I murdered Gilmour's dog... but it's ok cuz it all happened in the Twilight Zone-where the bullet hits the bone...

secrets
11-19-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by hard rock

Yep. I agree, Gilmour has great feel.

tydhurst
02-18-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by nosuchluck

Kurt Cobain(love him or hate him, he changed the music scene almost as much did VH did)

Not as a guitar player, but he changed music a lot more!

hard rock
02-23-2005, 08:11 AM
speaking of Kiss and After the CVH explosion i would have to say Bruce kulick of kiss, he is a pretty good guitarist.

flappo
02-23-2005, 08:30 AM
as much what ?

tongue cancer ??

flappo
02-23-2005, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by DaveIsKing
My Favorites....

EDDIE VAN HALEN
JIMMY PAGE
DAVID GILMOUR

In reality, all these others can play fast and juke around alot, but Eddie, Pagey, and Gilmour knew how to draw something OUT of the guitar that few else could or can now. They knew how to work a guitar to such perfection in the ears of the fan, that it didn't matter of David Gilmour could play 100 miles an hour, but when you heard the solo in "Comfortably Numb", you were mezmerized.

These three are GODS of the GUITAR.

hey , you dumb fucking retard , you NEVER even got close to owning me you dumb piece of shit

flappo
02-23-2005, 08:32 AM
anytime , any fucking place , pal

and you'll BE MY BITCH

i can promise you that

:D

Soul Reaper
02-23-2005, 02:10 PM
Yngwie had almost as much impact as EVH, but no-one really did have as much impact as EVH. You have to remember that Van Halen I was released in 1978 and before that everyone was playing blues licks. When they heard Eruption it blew everyone's minds. Yngwie did have an impact on the music scene, but everyone had heard all the fast shit before and didn't astonish as many people.

dave_is_vh
02-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
Yngwie had almost as much impact as EVH, but no-one really did have as much impact as EVH. You have to remember that Van Halen I was released in 1978 and before that everyone was playing blues licks. When they heard Eruption it blew everyone's minds. Yngwie did have an impact on the music scene, but everyone had heard all the fast shit before and didn't astonish as many people.

Al Di Meola's first solo album came out in 1976. Ed is a turtle compared to Al Di. And I think Yngwie was influenced more by Al Di than Yngwie will admit.

cwsmith17
02-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Slash.

Terry
02-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Only guitarists I can think of pretty much appeal to musicians only.

Malmsteen, Satriani and Vai have little to no appeal to anyone who doesn't play guitar. Randy too, to some extent.

Hetfield, Stevie Ray and Slash are the three that spring to mind in terms of turning on non-players; they had charisma that went beyond technique, just like Eddie V, and were able to get people who didn't play into what they were doing. Cobain, too. None of them might have had the ability that EVH did, but they had an impact that extended beyond readers of Guitar World.

Campbell was shit-hot when he was with DIO, agreed. One of the few, like Randy, who came out in the 1980s and was more than a Van Halen clone.

DeMartini, Lynch and Bratta were too EVH-derivative. Sambora, DeVille and Mars...well, their strength lay in the bands they were in, Sambora probably being the most technically accomplished out of the three.

Probably Malmsteen, Stevie Ray, Slash, Cobain and Hetfield are the ones that spring immediately to mind that came out after EVH and had the most recognizable styles all their own...no Van Halenizms permeating their playing. Randy was a great player, but EVH had an influence on him, an Kirk Hammett...well, just don't like him. Never did.

cwsmith17
02-24-2005, 10:37 PM
I do play guitar. Slahs's technique is flawless.

houseofpain
02-24-2005, 11:30 PM
I'm going to jump out here and say Zakk Wylde.

Okay, seriously Eddie was arguably the most influential guitarist we've ever heard. What Van Halen did to the disco scene, destroying it and bringing guitar rock back to the mainstream, we all owe Eddie a big thanks.

When you look at that criteria, dudes ain't nobody around like Eddie...EVER!

Zakk gets close though and here's why I think so: Five years ago, the most popular bands on the radio were Limp Dikshit, Kid Crap, and Creed. They infected the minds of the youth, poisoning them to believe it was good music. So every white kid went out and bought a red Yankees hat, turned it backwards like Fred, wore their pants to low and to loose, and grabbed their cocks in public alot.

Zakk and Dimebag, if you look back in your Guitar Worlds and Guitar 1s, they started cracking on those style of players. Dime said tuning down and laying a finger across one fret wasn't cool, and it wasn't how the godfathers did it. He specifically said that ain't the way Eddie and Randy did it. Zakk said there was a huge explosion of a bunch of here today gone later today bands and the guitarists couldn't even solo. I remember reading him saying at Ozzfest, the only one's playing guitar solos were him and Dime. He basically called everyone pussies, said learn some scales, step out, play a solo and don't be afraid to suck or fail miserably. The solo is the fun, its like the driving force that brings the song to its climax before it ties itself up.

When you look at it that way, we owe Zakk and Dime (God rest his soul) a big debt of gratitude. I think that players are starting to take the music industry back. I think all these kids that got turned on to Mark Tremonti and whoever else from the last five-six years read their magazines, read their articles, studied their lessons, and realized Tremonti isn't doing anything difficult. Neither were any of their heroes. I think they read alot of lessons written by guys like Zakk, Dime, Kerry King, Dickey Betts, Warren Haynes, and others and learned there's more to playing than just tuning down low and laying down a finger.

Matt White
02-24-2005, 11:34 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan single handedly brought the blues back from the brink. The guy is a GIANT of guitar.

houseofpain
02-24-2005, 11:37 PM
Not that I don't like tuning down low and using one finger...you just gotta do some stuff with the other three...I believe we call those fills.

dave_is_vh
02-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Perhaps you have never traveled outside the US. Yngwie is a God in places like Japan and Brazil. And most of these fans are non-guitarists.

George Lynch is far from being a EVH clone. In fact many people consider him to be superior to Van Halen. Lynch is far more soulful than EVH and plays with much more emotion.

Only guitarists I can think of pretty much appeal to musicians only.

Malmsteen, Satriani and Vai have little to no appeal to anyone who doesn't play guitar. Randy too, to some extent.

Hetfield, Stevie Ray and Slash are the three that spring to mind in terms of turning on non-players; they had charisma that went beyond technique, just like Eddie V, and were able to get people who didn't play into what they were doing. Cobain, too. None of them might have had the ability that EVH did, but they had an impact that extended beyond readers of Guitar World.

Campbell was shit-hot when he was with DIO, agreed. One of the few, like Randy, who came out in the 1980s and was more than a Van Halen clone.

DeMartini, Lynch and Bratta were too EVH-derivative. Sambora, DeVille and Mars...well, their strength lay in the bands they were in, Sambora probably being the most technically accomplished out of the three.

Probably Malmsteen, Stevie Ray, Slash, Cobain and Hetfield are the ones that spring immediately to mind that came out after EVH and had the most recognizable styles all their own...no Van Halenizms permeating their playing. Randy was a great player, but EVH had an influence on him, an Kirk Hammett...well, just don't like him. Never did.

Soul Reaper
02-25-2005, 12:51 PM
George Lynch is far from being a EVH clone. In fact many people consider him to be superior to Van Halen. Lynch is far more soulful than EVH and plays with much more emotion.

I totallly agree. I never thought Lynch was anything like EVH at all. Lynch was a unique player.

Terry
02-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Even George Lynch himself as recently as a year ago said that what he was doing in the 1980s boiled down to ripping off EVH-licks. Between that and what I heard with my own ears at the time, I'll stand by my statement.

Far as Yngwie, "huge in Japan" is really a euphemism for "not squat in thr USA" (hee hee). Have spent considerable time outside the US, though not in Japan or Brazil. Definitely tend to look at things from a North American point of view. Noticed in rock circles in Europe in the 1980s that guitarists had a different approach to playing. EVH was appreciated, but not as widely imitated as opposed to here.

Lynch is a talented player, but when I listen to his 1980s stuff, I definitely hear a discernable. more frequent than in passing EVH influence. Yngwie was one of the few that came out in the 1980s where I wasn't hearing shades of EVH in every other song. Same with Slash or Stevie Ray. 'Course, Yngwie also ripped off Blackmore to no end, but that's another story...

degüello
02-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Which rock guitarists had as much as Eddie Van Halen after the VH explosion?

No one.

TOM_5150
03-06-2005, 12:56 AM
Lots of guitarists cop Ed's licks, but they can't touch his unique sound, riffs, and song writing ability. Those three qualities = innovation. Eddie Van Halen, #1-BAR NONE!!