X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Telecasters

OK, I'm a guitar idiot. I play drums and sing. I know very little about guitars. I know enough to know when to use a Les Paul, when to use an SG, when to use a Fender, etc. I'm not a big fan of Explorers for some reason.

My question is, what makes the Telecaster distinct (let's say compared to the Les Paul and Fender)? Does it have a sound of its own? Is it more biting, more muddy, etc.? And what kind of music is it better for?

My guitarist is thinking of getting one, but I know very little about them other than Page used one on the first Zeppelin album and for the Stairway solo.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.
  • sambo
    Sniper
    • Jun 2004

Hey Rikk

For the most part, I use a stock Tele in a 2 guitar band (orginals 70's type rock vs say Dandy Warhols) - and a Strat / LP in a side project (80's/90's rock). My Tele has more of a bite to it than my other guitars and is excellent for rhythm playing - just on the edge of breaking up overdrive - a beautiful thing. Personally I like that it cuts through virtually any band setting and is very distinct.

Cleans are excellent, there's no mistaking a clean tele sound - and the neck pickup just oozes that smooth tone - great for tasty leads or just noodling over the top of the rhythm section.

I was a Strat man for years but the Tele certainly has its place. Oh and it's built like a tank and very easy to customise if you want to put different pickups etc in there to suit ones own style or band.
    Last edited by sambo; 11-18-2004, 06:17 PM.
    Go home the Earth is full....

Comment

• Big Troubles
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Feb 2004

Re: Telecasters

Originally posted by Rikk
      OK, I'm a guitar idiot. I play drums and sing. I know very little about guitars. I know enough to know when to use a Les Paul, when to use an SG, when to use a Fender, etc. I'm not a big fan of Explorers for some reason.

My question is, what makes the Telecaster distinct (let's say compared to the Les Paul and Fender)? Does it have a sound of its own? Is it more biting, more muddy, etc.? And what kind of music is it better for?

My guitarist is thinking of getting one, but I know very little about them other than Page used one on the first Zeppelin album and for the Stairway solo.
      Sounds like you know more than me... And I play!!! lol Your band play Classic VH or just Classic Rock or originals?
      "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• sambo
        Sniper
        • Jun 2004

Re: Re: Telecasters

Originally posted by Big Troubles
        Sounds like you know more than me... And I play!!! lol Your band play Classic VH or just Classic Rock or originals?
        Hey BT

Just originals, although I manage to squeeze in a RWTD or a cool 1/2 time ATBL as our warm up song!! It's an interesting band.. the singer /guitarist is into psychedelic 60/70s rock, I'm more into classic rock / Classic VH, the drummer is into Slayer and the bass player is into bands like New Order and Depeche Mode. It all seems to work out just fine though, kinda cruisy guitar orientated tunes.

I used to play a Strat when I joined but it used to fight sonically for space with his Wolfgang, so I got a Tele and they now complement each other just fine - each with their own space. I didn't think I would like the Tele at first but in a band setting it more than holds its own.

I've now moved intersate for work, but gig when they come down or when I return, although they are looking for someone full time to do the EP and tour.

Comment

• Big Troubles
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Feb 2004

Cool.
          "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Rikk
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Telecasters

Originally posted by Big Troubles
            Mostly just originals. But I like cracking open the odd IGGY POP cover or a few other simple standards...like ROADHOUSE BLUES. Never actually sang a Van Halen song with my band. I don't know why...that would be amazing.
            Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Re: Telecasters

Originally posted by sambo
              Hey BT

Just originals, although I manage to squeeze in a RWTD or a cool 1/2 time ATBL as our warm up song!! It's an interesting band.. the singer /guitarist is into psychedelic 60/70s rock, I'm more into classic rock / Classic VH, the drummer is into Slayer and the bass player is into bands like New Order and Depeche Mode. It all seems to work out just fine though, kinda cruisy guitar orientated tunes.

I used to play a Strat when I joined but it used to fight sonically for space with his Wolfgang, so I got a Tele and they now complement each other just fine - each with their own space. I didn't think I would like the Tele at first but in a band setting it more than holds its own.

I've now moved intersate for work, but gig when they come down or when I return, although they are looking for someone full time to do the EP and tour.
              DEPECHE MODE and SLAYER? That's awesome. Seriously. I love eclecticism. Those two should form their own cover band and call it REIGN IN VIOLATION.
              Roth Army Militia

Comment

• VHII
                Head Fluffer
                • Oct 2004

teles have more twang to them, if you like the stones sound youll like the tele

Comment

• Rikk
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by VHII
                  teles have more twang to them, if you like the stones sound youll like the tele
                  What does Keith typically use?
                  Roth Army Militia

Comment

• sambo
                    Sniper
                    • Jun 2004

I believe Keith uses a '52 or '59 Tele (I think '52), he is probably THE biggest Tele devotee

Rikk, Slayer and Depeche Mode... it somehow works...

or call the album Music for the Abyss!!!!

Comment

• Rikk
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sambo
                      I believe Keith uses a '52 or '59 Tele (I think '52), he is probably THE biggest Tele devotee

Rikk, Slayer and Depeche Mode... it somehow works...

or call the album Music for the Abyss!!!!
                      LOL!!! Music for the abyss.

And Ronnie Wood uses a Strat, doesn't he?
                      Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

As a "chick" that once worked in a musical instrument store, we carried plenty of Telecasters (since we were a Fender shop) from the low-end Squier's all the way up to the American standards. The most noticable characteristic I can probably tell you (no, I don't play guitar myself) is their rear pickup which gives that sorta "countrified" and "twangy" sound. This is why you predominately see a lot of country players use Telecasters moreover any other type of guitar - although that "fender sound" has been pretty much copied on just about any other decent guitar out there. Their front pickup also gives off a distinctive "warm" tone that might not be as sweet or characteristic as that of a Strat (for single-coil pickups) it's the very reason why most players use them - they find that front pickup rhythm sound the perfect fit for singing along to, if that makes sense. Although if you listen to Zeppelin's 'I Can't Quit You Baby' that's Page playing clean leads on the front pickup alone as where on 'Good Times, Bad Times' he is playing on both the front and rear pickups so when used with a creative dynamic, a Tele is not only a impressive guitar for being as basic as it is, but quite versatile as well!

Now, you see Tele's everywhere. It was probably that limey hack Keith Richards who made them famous in rock although they were used widely in the 1960's by such bands as The Yardbirds, Beach Boys, A lot Motown bands of the 1960's were playing Telecasters. Richards himself said he went to them because they were "the right weight, size, and had the right 'feel.'" Jeff Beck (who mainly uses Strats) said himself that a Tele has such a distinct quality to it that when it wants a certain "kick" to a solo he will use a Tele over a Strat.

MY best advice with all those examples shown is that you really can't go wrong with buying a Telecaster - just make sure you get one that you like i.e., with the neck/fretboard/color..etc you like since no two Tele's are the same.

Hope that helps in your choice somewhat.

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Oh, and get yourself a Fender Twin amp to play it through as well. What a combination.

Comment

• sambo
                            Sniper
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                            As a "chick" that once worked in a musical instrument store, we carried plenty of Telecasters (since we were a Fender shop) from the low-end Squier's all the way up to the American standards. The most noticable characteristic I can probably tell you (no, I don't play guitar myself) is their rear pickup which gives that sorta "countrified" and "twangy" sound. This is why you predominately see a lot of country players use Telecasters moreover any other type of guitar - although that "fender sound" has been pretty much copied on just about any other decent guitar out there. Their front pickup also gives off a distinctive "warm" tone that might not be as sweet or characteristic as that of a Strat (for single-coil pickups) it's the very reason why most players use them - they find that front pickup rhythm sound the perfect fit for singing along to, if that makes sense. Although if you listen to Zeppelin's 'I Can't Quit You Baby' that's Page playing clean leads on the front pickup alone as where on 'Good Times, Bad Times' he is playing on both the front and rear pickups so when used with a creative dynamic, a Tele is not only a impressive guitar for being as basic as it is, but quite versatile as well!

Now, you see Tele's everywhere. It was probably that limey hack Keith Richards who made them famous in rock although they were used widely in the 1960's by such bands as The Yardbirds, Beach Boys, A lot Motown bands of the 1960's were playing Telecasters. Richards himself said he went to them because they were "the right weight, size, and had the right 'feel.'" Jeff Beck (who mainly uses Strats) said himself that a Tele has such a distinct quality to it that when it wants a certain "kick" to a solo he will use a Tele over a Strat.

MY best advice with all those examples shown is that you really can't go wrong with buying a Telecaster - just make sure you get one that you like i.e., with the neck/fretboard/color..etc you like since no two Tele's are the same.

Hope that helps in your choice somewhat.
                            Cool post, nice work

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Thanks, comes from working three years in a musical instrument store. When I started, I didn't know shit about guitars, by the time I left, I was re-stringing and (basic) repairing juat about any musical instrument that had strings on it -mandolins and 12-strings being the worst. Oh, violins, too.

Now that I think about it, I hated that job.

Comment

Working...