PDA

View Full Version : DAVE & CLASSIC VH Represented in MOJO Magazine

Matt White
11-21-2004, 11:45 PM
I just bought the UK rock mag MOJO, and it's a "special limited edition". "The Greatest Classic Rock Albums EVER: The Music that STILL ROCKS YOUR WORLD!" DAVID LEE ROTH & CLASSIC VAN HALEN are well represented in the magazine. The albums are not rated, nor is there a 1-50 of "the best". The albums are simply recognized as being STELLAR releases.
The Van Halen article starts with VH opening for Black Sabbath in 1978. Ozzy is quoted as saying "It was a terrible time. VAN HALEN walked all over us.", as in they kicked Sabbath's ass onstage. It goes on to talk about VH rising out of the L.A. club circuit to world wide superstars.

Dave goes out of his way in a '78 interview (quoted by the author) as saying, "VAN HALEN ain't no hippies. We're playing the '80's. Other bands are still doing the '70's."

In a new interview, DAVE goes on to talk about meeting up with the Van Halen Bros. The bros were "Superb musicians who could play anything, but they were covering The Who's Tommy, Led Zeppelin, the whole first side of Black Sabbath-nothing you could dance to. So it was simply a question of what do you play that accommodates all of this musicality as well as the demands of the audience? And I've always fancied myself as an anthropologist: what is the behavior of the TRIBE? What inspires the collective? I knew where to go play. I knew what to play, so consequently I WAS THE BOSS. And the combination was magic."

The article talks about how quickly VH albums were recorded, as to catch the LIVE aspect of the band. VH1 is noted for its raw sound and DAVE & EVH's star qualities.

The author recalls a review of a VAN HALEN show at the Selland Arena, Fresno, on the 22nd of Sept.
"DAVID LEE ROTH must be THE most active, energetic frontman on the rock circuit today. His jackknife leaps from the drum kit have to be seen to be believed...The music smacks of dirt, sex, booze, dope, and good times, and it's all very hyperkinetic. Dave's between song spiels are fast, repetitive, idiotic and downright honest...yet the females flock to him when he screams, grabbing at his legs onstage. Van Halen use all the old tricks, but the sound is definitely not stale. Most bands would refuse to follow this group onstage. Sabbath definitely should have thought twice."

The article then covers the rest of the DAVE years: The growing tension, the KEYBOARD vs. GUITARHERO feud, and finally the split. He sums up the aftermath: "As the rest of VAN HALEN declared in 1985 when they announcing Hagar as Van Halen's new vocalist," the band has lost a frontman, but gained a singer". True enough. There would be no more forgotten lyrics or cover versions. Instead there would be hit singles and albums curiously redolent of the bands that they had so effectively blown out of the water in 1978(He referred to STYXX and Kansas!). Neither DAVID LEE ROTH or VAN HALEN would ever sound so exciting again."

All in all, a cool article on DAVE & CLASSIC VH. Also included(with every artist covered in the mag) is a "top 10 list" of the artist' best songs.

ROTH ON!!!

Rikk
11-21-2004, 11:54 PM
Great stuff!

As I've said many times, it's how the band is viewed as time passes. And as time passes, the original VH is revered the way classic Sab or Zeppelin is revered.

Van Hagar looks more and more like Journey or Styx. And that's not a good thing (sorry, Journey or Styx fans).

Lou
11-21-2004, 11:59 PM
Why are you apologizing to Journey and Styx fans? They should be happy that there's a band out there worse than theirs!

Switch84
11-22-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Lou
Why are you apologizing to Journey and Styx fans? They should be happy that there's a band out there worse than theirs!

:D LMAO! I like Journey! Groups like them serve a purpose. I'm a Grrl. When I'm feeling all giggly and grrly, I want music to reflect that mood. That's when I play my Journey cds........

I'm for-ever yourrrssssssss.....FAITHFULLY!

ROFLMMFOABT

sambo
11-22-2004, 12:13 AM
Nice work Matt... :cool:

we get that magazine over here, might duck down and get it... cheers!

Matt White
11-22-2004, 12:26 AM
ROTH ON SAMBO!!!
Funny thing is, with the TOP 10 list, you can't read the * because its so small on the image I posted.
It reads as follows: 10 VAN Halen* songs to make your life better...* That's the PROPER VAN HALEN with DAVID LEE ROTH.

FUCKIN' RIGHT BABY!!!!

sambo
11-22-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
ROTH ON SAMBO!!!
Funny thing is, with the TOP 10 list, you can't read the * because its so small on the image I posted.
It reads as follows: 10 VAN Halen* songs to make your life better...* That's the PROPER VAN HALEN with DAVID LEE ROTH.

FUCKIN' RIGHT BABY!!!!

Hey mate!

Just sent that Top 10 list to everyone in my email contacts list..

and titled the email: "Because I Care...." hahahahahahaha

someones gotta look out for the non-believers ;)

Matt White
11-22-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by sambo
Hey mate!

Just sent that Top 10 list to everyone in my email contacts list..

and titled the email: "Because I Care...." hahahahahahaha

someones gotta look out for the non-believers ;)

BRILLIANT!!! I gotta do the same!!!

DaveTheSoulOfVH
11-22-2004, 05:20 AM
"...And I've always fancied myself as an anthropologist: what is the behavior of the TRIBE? What inspires the collective? I knew where to go play. I knew what to play, so consequently I WAS THE BOSS. And the combination was magic."

...so fuckin' true, dave is a genius

DavidLeeNatra
11-22-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Lou

none of them has the balls to come here...search them at the linx or this absolutely gay eddievanhalen.com site...

Bill Lumbergh
11-22-2004, 01:25 PM
"I WAS THE BOSS!" Beautiful, just beautiful! Was? He still IS THE BOSS...........just ask Al(and specially ask his ex- wife, you know the one Dave fucked while Al was out drinking Schlitz)!

VH80-84
11-23-2004, 06:09 AM
So, what 10 songs did they list?

Warham
11-23-2004, 06:37 AM
I knew MOJO still had it in them to do decent reviews.

diamondsgirl
11-23-2004, 10:30 AM
Very interesting! Thanks Matt.

Matt White
11-23-2004, 10:55 AM
My pleasure DG.
Here's some of the photos

diamondsgirl
11-23-2004, 10:59 AM
I only see a red X. Anyone else?

diamondsgirl
11-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
I only see a red X. Anyone else?

and I'm starting to salivate...(dave pics, dave pics, pant,pant,pant...)

Matt White
11-23-2004, 11:03 AM
My pleasure DG.
Here's some of the photos

diamondsgirl
11-23-2004, 11:05 AM
Thats the ticket! Hey, who's that idiot standing in front of Dave blocking my veiw?! :D

Matt White
11-23-2004, 11:17 AM
sorry! Bad connection!!!

Matt White
11-23-2004, 12:56 PM
HAHA! Here you go ladies!

diamondsgirl
11-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
HAHA! Here you go ladies!

The money shot! :cool:

Look at that! look at that! :p

Matt you're the best. And your hair rocks! All men should wear their hair like yours!:)

Matt White
11-23-2004, 01:42 PM

Matt you're the best. And your hair rocks! All men should wear their hair like yours!:)

:p Right on DG!!! I'm keepin' it long 'till it falls out!!! LOL

Switch84
11-23-2004, 01:45 PM

:D :D :D Matt, YOU ROCK!!! The 'money shot' indeed! I almost spilled my coffee looking at that pic of Davy Baby!

HUBBA! HUBBA!

Switch84
11-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
none of them has the balls to come here...search them at the linx or this absolutely gay eddievanhalen.com site...

:p :D WRONG! I'm here AND I like Journey, 'Natra Baby! Read my previous post for the 'why'....

Switch84
11-23-2004, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Switch84
[B]:D LMAO! I like Journey! Groups like them serve a purpose. I'm a Grrl. When I'm feeling all giggly and grrly, I want music to reflect that mood. That's when I play my Journey cds........

I'm for-ever yourrrssssssss.....FAITHFULLY!

:D Here ya go, 'Natra! LMMFAOBT!

Matt White
11-23-2004, 01:58 PM
You Rock Switch! "STONE IN LOVE".

A few ROTHISM's from the MOJO article:

DAVE on SOCAL in 1979:
"It's like a bowl of granola around here. Whatever isn't fruit and nuts is flakes, man."

on Bill Gazzarri:
"Bill was one of the old leftovers from the vegas, mobbed up years. He took me under his wing. He saw a future there and sought to teach me all of the more colorful aspects of showbiz. And I was a great student. I knew all the bad habits and pitfalls of the music business and I couldn't wait to get involved in all of them."

On joining up with the Sisters:
"This was around 1974. The club scene was small back then, so there was a fight to get in then. You had to play danceable music and have some kind of personality up front to glue it all together and present it. You had to have some sizzle with the steak. Enter DAVE."

On success:
"My first time in a spotlight was from a police helicopter!"

lms2
12-08-2004, 08:54 PM
How did I miss this first time around?

Halen High
12-08-2004, 09:20 PM
Same here Ims2!

Thanks Matt. Great read. I'll look out for a copy Down Under.

Once again Van Hagar is dismissed as irrelevant while the legend of the Classic line-up grows.

Matt White
12-08-2004, 10:30 PM
VIVA CLASSIC VAN HALEN!!!!

Slightly cleaned up pics from the article.