• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lucky wilbury

Marine sacrifices his life for others in grenade blast

Marine sacrifices his life for others in grenade blast

By Gordon Trowbridge
    The Army Times

FALLUJAH, Iraq — Sgt. Rafael Peralta built a reputation as a man who always put his Marines' interests ahead of his own.

He showed that again, when he made the ultimate sacrifice of his life Tuesday, by shielding his fellow Marines from a grenade blast.

"It's stuff you hear about in boot camp, about World War II and Tarawa Marines who won the Medal of Honor," said Lance Cpl. Rob Rogers, 22, of Tallahassee, Fla., one of Peralta's platoon mates in 1st Platoon, Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment.

Peralta, 25, as platoon scout, wasn't even assigned to the assault team that entered the insurgent safe house in northern Fallujah, Marines said. Despite an assignment that would have allowed him to avoid such dangerous duty, he regularly asked squad leaders if he could join their assault teams, they said.

One of the first Marines to enter the house, Peralta was wounded in the face by rifle fire from a room near the entry door, said Lance Cpl. Adam Morrison, 20, of Tacoma, who was in the house when Peralta was first wounded.

Moments later, an insurgent rolled a fragmentation grenade into the area where a wounded Peralta and the other Marines were seeking cover.

As Morrison and another Marine scrambled to escape the blast, pounding against a locked door, Peralta grabbed the grenade and cradled it into his body, Morrison said. While one Marine was badly wounded by shrapnel from the blast, the Marines said they believe more lives would have been lost if not for Peralta's selfless act.

"He saved half my fire team," said Cpl. Brannon Dyer, 27, of Blairsville, Ga.

The Marines said such a sacrifice would be perfectly in character for Peralta, a Mexico native who lived in San Diego and gained U.S. citizenship after joining the Marines.

"He'd stand up for his Marines to an insane point," Rogers said.

Rogers and others remembered Peralta as a squared-away Marine, so meticulous about uniform standards that he sent his camouflage uniform to be pressed while training in Kuwait before entering Iraq.

But mostly they remembered acts of selflessness: offering career advice, giving a buddy a ride home from the bar, teaching salsa dance steps in the barracks.

While Alpha Company was still gathering information, and a formal finding on Peralta's death is likely months away, not a single Marine in Alpha Company doubted the account of Peralta's act of sacrifice.

"I believe it," said Alpha's commander, Capt. Lee Johnson. "He was that kind of Marine."
  • Cathedral
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

May God keep and bless his soul.
    Jesus was right there to accept him; i guarentee it.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Re: Marine sacrifices his life for others in grenade blast

Originally posted by lucky wilbury
      http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...28_hero20.html

The Marines said such a sacrifice would be perfectly in character for Peralta, a Mexico native who lived in San Diego and gained U.S. citizenship after joining the Marines.

So I guess some Mexican immigrant workers are good for something, eh? Did anyone complain that he took an "American's Job?" (irony for those literary impaired)

Comment

• BigBadBrian
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Marine sacrifices his life for others in grenade blast

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        So I guess some Mexican immigrant workers are good for something, eh? Did anyone complain that he took an "American's Job?" (irony for those literary impaired)
        You're a sick fucker.
        “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Actually I'm not the one's that sick. It's just your need to research what "irony," means. Try google. Maybe sarcasm is a bit easier to understand.

Just pointing out "sick" latently rascist double-standards I so often hear here!
          Last edited by Nickdfresh; 11-23-2004, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• Jesus Christ
            Veteran
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
            May God keep and bless his soul.
            Jesus was right there to accept him; i guarentee it.
            Verily, My son. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

• Cathedral
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Marine sacrifices his life for others in grenade blast

The man was an American citizen, and he had citizenship, so he WAS doing an Americans job AS an American.

Comment

• Cathedral
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                Verily, My son. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
                Agreed.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Actually I'm not the one's that sick. It's just your need to research what "irony," means. Try google. Maybe sarcasm is a bit easier to understand.

Just pointing out "sick" latently rascist double-standards I so often hear here!
                  I need'nt a twit like you to act as my personal dictionary. Go ahead and cheer for the deaths of our fighting forces when it suits your own political motives if you must. You won't be the only liberal on here who does so.
                  “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Mezro
                    Full Member Status

• May 2004

Sgt. Peralta is a real hero and his sacrifice deserves our respect.

Mezro...I hope he rests in peace...
                    Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                      I need'nt a twit like you to act as my personal dictionary. Go ahead and cheer for the deaths of our fighting forces when it suits your own political motives if you must. You won't be the only liberal on here who does so.
                      Oh yeah B3, I was really "cheering." I'm so happy a good man who happens to be a member of a signifcant group essential to our economy was killed shielding his "band of brothers" from death.

Then you wonder why I tell you to google off! Again, I-R-O-N-Y!

Comment

• Cathedral
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

Nick, why do you act as if he was just another wet back fresh across the border?

The man was an American soldier from the day he was granted citizenship. and quite frankly, i'm proud to know that he cared so much for this country and his countrymen that he layed down his life for them.
                        He displayed honor that saddly doesn't exist in people like you, and many like you who are hell bent on tearing Bush down at the expense of those who have more balls than you do by volunteering their lives to a greater cause...Freedom.

Comment

• ODShowtime
                          ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Oh yeah B3, I was really "cheering." I'm so happy a good man who happens to be a member of a signifcant group essential to our economy was killed shielding his "band of brothers" from death.
                          BBB likes to take the worst traits from the biggest assholes in the country and project them onto people like you and I that disagree with him.

Since I'm here, I will say that I hope this fine soldier's family can enjoy the holiday knowing that we all give our thanks for his sacrifice.
                          gnaw on it

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
                            Nick, why do you act as if he was just another wet back fresh across the border?

Nice racist term! You really honored him with that one!

The man was an American (Marine) from the day he was granted citizenship. and quite frankly, I'm proud to know that he cared so much for this country and his countrymen that he layed down his life for them.

NO! He became a citizen after he joined! That's the point. If he had been a house painter, you'd have called for him to be deported!

He displayed honor that sadly doesn't exist in people like you, and many like you who are hell bent on tearing Bush down at the expense of those who have more balls than you do by volunteering their lives to a greater cause...Freedom.

Are you lecturing me from your computer terminal in some nice, safe, warm, and comfy location when foreign born, courageous men of Mexican decent fight your wars for you sunshine? When are you joining up to go fight the war you so vehemently believe in?
                            Last edited by Nickdfresh; 11-23-2004, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• Cathedral
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ODShowtime
                              BBB likes to take the worst traits from the biggest assholes in the country and project them onto people like you and I that disagree with him.

Since I'm here, I will say that I hope this fine soldier's family can enjoy the holiday knowing that we all give our thanks for his sacrifice.
                              Man, It's people like you i'd like to take out to the woodshed and just beat some sense into.
                              But it would be a waste of time since your problem is obviously brain damage.

Get help, then learn to respect the country you take for granted.

Comment

Working...