PDA

View Full Version : Marine sacrifices his life for others in grenade blast

lucky wilbury
11-23-2004, 01:12 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002096428_hero20.html

Marine sacrifices his life for others in grenade blast

By Gordon Trowbridge
The Army Times

FALLUJAH, Iraq — Sgt. Rafael Peralta built a reputation as a man who always put his Marines' interests ahead of his own.

He showed that again, when he made the ultimate sacrifice of his life Tuesday, by shielding his fellow Marines from a grenade blast.

"It's stuff you hear about in boot camp, about World War II and Tarawa Marines who won the Medal of Honor," said Lance Cpl. Rob Rogers, 22, of Tallahassee, Fla., one of Peralta's platoon mates in 1st Platoon, Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment.

Peralta, 25, as platoon scout, wasn't even assigned to the assault team that entered the insurgent safe house in northern Fallujah, Marines said. Despite an assignment that would have allowed him to avoid such dangerous duty, he regularly asked squad leaders if he could join their assault teams, they said.

One of the first Marines to enter the house, Peralta was wounded in the face by rifle fire from a room near the entry door, said Lance Cpl. Adam Morrison, 20, of Tacoma, who was in the house when Peralta was first wounded.

Moments later, an insurgent rolled a fragmentation grenade into the area where a wounded Peralta and the other Marines were seeking cover.

As Morrison and another Marine scrambled to escape the blast, pounding against a locked door, Peralta grabbed the grenade and cradled it into his body, Morrison said. While one Marine was badly wounded by shrapnel from the blast, the Marines said they believe more lives would have been lost if not for Peralta's selfless act.

"He saved half my fire team," said Cpl. Brannon Dyer, 27, of Blairsville, Ga.

The Marines said such a sacrifice would be perfectly in character for Peralta, a Mexico native who lived in San Diego and gained U.S. citizenship after joining the Marines.

"He'd stand up for his Marines to an insane point," Rogers said.

Rogers and others remembered Peralta as a squared-away Marine, so meticulous about uniform standards that he sent his camouflage uniform to be pressed while training in Kuwait before entering Iraq.

But mostly they remembered acts of selflessness: offering career advice, giving a buddy a ride home from the bar, teaching salsa dance steps in the barracks.

While Alpha Company was still gathering information, and a formal finding on Peralta's death is likely months away, not a single Marine in Alpha Company doubted the account of Peralta's act of sacrifice.

"I believe it," said Alpha's commander, Capt. Lee Johnson. "He was that kind of Marine."

Cathedral
11-23-2004, 01:38 AM
May God keep and bless his soul.
Jesus was right there to accept him; i guarentee it.

Nickdfresh
11-23-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002096428_hero20.html

The Marines said such a sacrifice would be perfectly in character for Peralta, a Mexico native who lived in San Diego and gained U.S. citizenship after joining the Marines.

So I guess some Mexican immigrant workers are good for something, eh? Did anyone complain that he took an "American's Job?" (irony for those literary impaired)

BigBadBrian
11-23-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
So I guess some Mexican immigrant workers are good for something, eh? Did anyone complain that he took an "American's Job?" (irony for those literary impaired)

You're a sick fucker.

Nickdfresh
11-23-2004, 11:15 AM
Actually I'm not the one's that sick. It's just your need to research what "irony," means. Try google. Maybe sarcasm is a bit easier to understand.

Just pointing out "sick" latently rascist double-standards I so often hear here!

Jesus Christ
11-23-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
May God keep and bless his soul.
Jesus was right there to accept him; i guarentee it.

Verily, My son. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. :(

Cathedral
11-23-2004, 01:28 PM

The man was an American citizen, and he had citizenship, so he WAS doing an Americans job AS an American.

Cathedral
11-23-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Jesus Christ
Verily, My son. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. :(

Agreed.

BigBadBrian
11-23-2004, 01:49 PM
Actually I'm not the one's that sick. It's just your need to research what "irony," means. Try google. Maybe sarcasm is a bit easier to understand.

Just pointing out "sick" latently rascist double-standards I so often hear here!

I need'nt a twit like you to act as my personal dictionary. Go ahead and cheer for the deaths of our fighting forces when it suits your own political motives if you must. You won't be the only liberal on here who does so. :mad2:

Mezro
11-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Sgt. Peralta is a real hero and his sacrifice deserves our respect.

Mezro...I hope he rests in peace...

Nickdfresh
11-23-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
I need'nt a twit like you to act as my personal dictionary. Go ahead and cheer for the deaths of our fighting forces when it suits your own political motives if you must. You won't be the only liberal on here who does so. :mad2:

Oh yeah B3, I was really "cheering." I'm so happy a good man who happens to be a member of a signifcant group essential to our economy was killed shielding his "band of brothers" from death.

Then you wonder why I tell you to google off! Again, I-R-O-N-Y!

Cathedral
11-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Nick, why do you act as if he was just another wet back fresh across the border?

The man was an American soldier from the day he was granted citizenship. and quite frankly, i'm proud to know that he cared so much for this country and his countrymen that he layed down his life for them.
He displayed honor that saddly doesn't exist in people like you, and many like you who are hell bent on tearing Bush down at the expense of those who have more balls than you do by volunteering their lives to a greater cause...Freedom.

ODShowtime
11-23-2004, 02:20 PM
Oh yeah B3, I was really "cheering." I'm so happy a good man who happens to be a member of a signifcant group essential to our economy was killed shielding his "band of brothers" from death.

BBB likes to take the worst traits from the biggest assholes in the country and project them onto people like you and I that disagree with him.

Since I'm here, I will say that I hope this fine soldier's family can enjoy the holiday knowing that we all give our thanks for his sacrifice.

Nickdfresh
11-23-2004, 02:31 PM
Nick, why do you act as if he was just another wet back fresh across the border?

Nice racist term! You really honored him with that one!

The man was an American (Marine) from the day he was granted citizenship. and quite frankly, I'm proud to know that he cared so much for this country and his countrymen that he layed down his life for them.

NO! He became a citizen after he joined! That's the point. If he had been a house painter, you'd have called for him to be deported!

He displayed honor that sadly doesn't exist in people like you, and many like you who are hell bent on tearing Bush down at the expense of those who have more balls than you do by volunteering their lives to a greater cause...Freedom.

Are you lecturing me from your computer terminal in some nice, safe, warm, and comfy location when foreign born, courageous men of Mexican decent fight your wars for you sunshine? When are you joining up to go fight the war you so vehemently believe in?

Cathedral
11-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
BBB likes to take the worst traits from the biggest assholes in the country and project them onto people like you and I that disagree with him.

Since I'm here, I will say that I hope this fine soldier's family can enjoy the holiday knowing that we all give our thanks for his sacrifice.

Man, It's people like you i'd like to take out to the woodshed and just beat some sense into.
But it would be a waste of time since your problem is obviously brain damage.

Get help, then learn to respect the country you take for granted.

Cathedral
11-23-2004, 02:41 PM

Oh brother, you are a sick fuck indeed.

And for your information, I tried to enlist when i was 18 but was rejected for thyroid issues, asshole.

But you can bet your coward ass i'd go in a heart beat to serve with my friends who are there now.

Don't you dare question my support for my country, I'm not the one clinging to every little conspiracy like an infant to its mothers nipple.

My family has given more than its share of blood for this great nation and i am proud of my heritage, and my only regret is that i was robbed of my opportunity to serve.

McCarrens
11-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Nickdfresh, your lack of respect for this fallen soldier sickens me.

You are a poor excuse for an human. I hope when you die people laugh at your fallen corpse.

ODShowtime
11-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Don't you dare question my support for my country

You just did the same thing to me 5 minutes ago! The hypocrisy! You don't have a monopoly on patriotism. Alright, I won't argue anymore in this thread.

Nickdfresh
11-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by McCarrens
Nickdfresh, your lack of respect for this fallen soldier sickens me.

First of all FUCKTARD, he's not a soldier, he's a Marine. If you had a fucking clue and were actually qualified to draw conclusions you would know that pussy.

You know what sickens me, little rascist right-wing pussy fags like you runnin' your mouth when you have never served shit. How many years did you serve civilian? Sunshine patriot?

I'm a poor excuse for a human. I hope I die people laugh at my fallen corpse like they laugh at me in life.

And by the way-

Nickdfresh
11-23-2004, 02:58 PM
Oh brother, you are a sick fuck indeed.

And for your information, I tried to enlist when i was 18 but was rejected for thyroid issues, asshole.

But you can bet your coward ass i'd go in a heart beat to serve with my friends who are there now.

Don't you dare question my support for my country, I'm not the one clinging to every little conspiracy like an infant to its mothers nipple.

My family has given more than its share of blood for this great nation and i am proud of my heritage, and my only regret is that i was robbed of my opportunity to serve.

What conspiracy? I'm just making a point.

And you questioned my support and wrongly (and knowingly) completely misrepresented what I said into some sort of perverse happiness over this kid dying! You want to play bullshit word games with me and imply shit? The FUCKING GLOVES come off then! Don't you fucking question my patriotism either!

I don't normally have a problem with you Cathedral and even genuinely like you and I don't know why you are hopping on this retarded band wagon. But most out there know that this is wrong!

McCarrens
11-23-2004, 03:11 PM
I'm a poor excuse for a human. I hope I die people laugh at my fallen corpse like they laugh at me in life.

Boy that's funny. Changing up my quote like that. You should write comedy.

And did you just call me a "little rascist right-wing pussy fag"?

Let's see, that one little phrase cements that you hate women (pussy), people of small stature (small) and either people with right hands or a conservative values (right wing). I can't read your mind so I don't know which.

And I don't how you got the idea that I am rascist. It wasn't my party drawing little rascist pictures of Condie Rice.

And as for me not serving, well, my paralyzed right arm kinda stops me from doing that, but I make regualr donations to the military and have loads of family that have served.

But still, all this logic I'm throwing at you is just wasting time.

Everyone here still realizes after what you said about the fallen AMERICAN that you are a disgusting piece of shit.

Who I doubt would say any of the shit he posts here to someone's face, while I talk just like write.

Cathedral
11-23-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
You just did the same thing to me 5 minutes ago! The hypocrisy! You don't have a monopoly on patriotism. Alright, I won't argue anymore in this thread.

Dude, go and re-read your posts since Nov. 2nd...You had no patriotism to question in my view, which i find to be very sad in fact.

At first i thought you were just a passionate American, until you started attacking those who voted against your guy who you pretty much said don't matter.

I do know one thing, I support the President no matter who he is, or which party he represents. I never jumped Clinton until the end of his term when he was so caught up in scandel that you simply couldn't respect the dude.

But to be decent, I apologize for my comments to you and Nick.

Cathedral
11-23-2004, 03:27 PM
What conspiracy? I'm just making a point.

I don't normally have a problem with you Cathedral and even genuinely like you and I don't know why you are hopping on this retarded band wagon. But most out there know that this is wrong!

Stress dude, this country is stressing me out with the division getting larger and larger, and the world view being distorted more and more every day.

Maybe i'm misunderstanding you, but it clearly seemed to me that you were making a racial issue were it isn't warranted by bringing immigration into this thread.

As i posted in my last reply to OD...My apologies for getting heated and replying fueled by anger.

We have all got to come to a middle ground if we are to survive. the battles are destructive.

FORD
11-23-2004, 03:29 PM
The real racism here will be the fact that this man's family will be deported back to Mexico before the crabgrass can sprout on his grave. It's happenned to the families of several Hispanic immigrants who signed up for the same reason Sgt Peralta did, because the Bush Fraudministration promised them US citizenship in return for service.

I'd say he earned it, but I'd also say his actions earned enough for his family. Doubt the BCE will see it that way though :(

Nickdfresh
11-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by McCarrens
Boy that's funny. Changing up my quote like that. You should write comedy.

--Why not, you are changing what I am saying!

And did you just call me a "little rascist right-wing pussy fag"?

--Ahhh! So you can read!!

Let's see, that one little phrase cements that you hate women (pussy), people of small stature (small) and either people with right hands or a conservative values (right wing). I can't read your mind so I don't know which.

--Just because you don't like pussy, don't project it on to me! Mr. Politically correct! You're (pseudo)conservative in rhetoric, but having never served in the military, cowardly in deed!

And I don't how you got the idea that I am rascist. It wasn't my party drawing little rascist pictures of Condie Rice.

--You mean you're a Republican like I am? But I don't think it was actually the Democratic "Party" doing the drawing, a misguided political cartoonist was.

And as for me not serving, well, my paralyzed right arm kinda stops me from doing that, but I make regualr donations to the military and have loads of family that have served.

--Doesn't stop you from making bullshit comments and talking out of your ass. I am truly sorry about the arm. But I can only see a paralysed brain!

But still, all this logic I'm throwing at you is just wasting time.

--Logic or sophist bullshit? I suspect the latter. By the way, you can google sophist!

Everyone here still realizes after what you said about the fallen AMERICAN that you are a disgusting piece of shit.

--Recount for me word for word what I said FUCKTARD! And then comment SPECIFICALLY, without edit, on what I said that "makes me a piece of shit." In what way did I rejoice over this kids heroic death? Did I say, yeah, he died. NO! I said (roughly), "courageous Marine of Mexican decent" or something therein. Can you see why I might want to snap someones neck over implying anything other than that?

You want to play semantic games with it. Then I think you are a liar!

Who I doubt would say any of the shit he posts here to someone's face, while I talk just like write.

--I say it all the time to people's faces though I will say that I am more diplomatic as would be you

Cathedral
11-23-2004, 03:32 PM
I hope your wrong on that point, Ford.
His life should more than grant them citizenship in my opinion.

ODShowtime
11-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Dude, go and re-read your posts since Nov. 2nd...

Some cocksucker told me to "stop bitchin'" on Nov 3 around 11 AM or so. I don't what the fuck I was thinking reading this board, but that didn't help. I think that's the worst I ever felt in my entire life other than family tragedy. I sincerely believe we are all fucked now. That's based on solid evidence and sound judgement.

So I was a little pissy for a week or two. I've gotten over it. I'm just making plans for a move to the country. Once you have a goal, it's all good.

But to be decent, I apologize for my comments to you and Nick.

I want to continue to have meaningful debates with you Cathedral. I accept your apology and offer mine for being a dick or whatever.

Nickdfresh
11-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Stress dude, this country is stressing me out with the division getting larger and larger, and the world view being distorted more and more every day.

Maybe i'm misunderstanding you, but it clearly seemed to me that you were making a racial issue were it isn't warranted by bringing immigration into this thread.

As i posted in my last reply to OD...My apologies for getting heated and replying fueled by anger.

We have all got to come to a middle ground if we are to survive. the battles are destructive.

I was merely comparing and contrasting people's admiration for this fallen warrior-hero with some of the shit that I heard about Mexican migrant workers in general, which I interpreted as racist, during DaveIsKing's recent anti-immigration thread (which was anti-Bush Administration policy) and people started putting words in my mouth, or jumping to conclusions without actually reading it, or thinking about what I was trying to say, which I think is blatantly unfair and wrong!

However, I could have explained my point of view without being a cavilier asshole which I am sometimes. My apologies for not explaining myself better and for being a hot-head, which I am! Sorry.

FORD
11-23-2004, 03:43 PM
I hope your wrong on that point, Ford.
His life should more than grant them citizenship in my opinion.

Honestly, I hope I'm wrong too, but the precedents for this are not looking good....

THE IRAQ WAR: Mexican soldiers

The major issue between the US and Mexico is the status of legal and illegal Mexicans in the US. Univision has paid special attention to the problem. The main motive for young US Mexicans to enlist in the armed forces is to get immediate naturalization and an education. Those who return from Iraq are received as heroes. There are complications. One youth got his citizenship, but his father had been deported. Now his mother was to be deported; in neither case was the reason given. It was heart-wrenching to see the old woman sitting there sobbing and saying "What shall I do? I have nowhere to go". Equally sad were the scenes when the bodies of those killed in action were brought home. An American officer visited the parents and presented them with their son's naturalization certificate. That was all. Mexicans claimed the parents should have been naturalized. They said that this experience had deepened their Mexican roots, and that young Mexicans should not enter the US armed forces just to get naturalization and an education. The issue became political. California's Democrat-controlled state assembly passed a law requiring that the consular card be officially recognized. What Washington will say about this remains to be seen. The Bush administration offered concessions on the naturalization issue if Mexico would privatize the oil industry and permit American investments. The Mexican reaction was angrily negative. Mexican immigration and the Middle East are two intractable problems.

Ronald Hilton - 5/11/03

link (http://wais.stanford.edu/War/war_iraqwarmexicansoldiers51103.html)

As usual, it always comes back to oil profits where the BCE is concerned :mad:

Switch84
11-23-2004, 04:02 PM
However, I could have explained my point of view without being a cavilier asshole which I am sometimes. My apologies for not explaining myself better and for being a hot-head, which I am! Sorry.

:xmas: And you wonder why I call you 'Darling Nikki'?!? We ALL get anal-retentive from time to time. Yes, this marine was a citizen, therefore he was an American doing an American's job! I don't think folks are against LEGAL immigration; it's the ILLEGAL border jumping that has people concerned (myself included.)

God bless this man and his family. They will be allowed to stay, Ford. Dubya's quite compassionate towards the Hispanic population. He is proposing amnesty afterall. Don't forget, his sister-in-law is of Mexican descent.

Nickdfresh
11-23-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Switch84
:xmas: And you wonder why I call you 'Darling Nikki'?!? We ALL get anal-retentive from time to time. Yes, this marine was a citizen, therefore he was an American doing an American's job! I don't think folks are against LEGAL immigration; it's the ILLEGAL border jumping that has people concerned (myself included.)

God bless this man and his family. They will be allowed to stay, Ford. Dubya's quite compassionate towards the Hispanic population. He is proposing amnesty afterall. Don't forget, his sister-in-law is of Mexican descent.

Noted. But that's not really what I am upset about. It was people completely changing around what I was saying.

People are free and welcome to disagree with me, hell I know I thick, but people shouldn't accuse me of spitting on graves lightly. That's a whole different ball game!

Dr. Love
11-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Glad to see we have a lot of Internet Warriors here today.

FORD
11-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
Glad to see we have a lot of Internet Warriors here today.

And they're shooting at the walls of heartache..... Bang Bang.

Oh, sorry, I thought this was the "cheesiest lyrics of the 80's thread"

Nickdfresh
11-23-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by FORD
And they're shooting at the walls of heartache..... Bang Bang.

Oh, sorry, I thought this was the "cheesiest lyrics of the 80's thread"

You know Eddie was seriously talking about her as Van Halens lead singer after Dave left. I think Valerie would have been upset!

McCarrens
11-23-2004, 05:22 PM
If she had joined Van Halen, at least the band wouldn't have been led by such a huge pussy!