PDA

View Full Version : Now Rhodes to the Tribe for Lawton - Nearly done

Va Beach VH Fan
11-24-2004, 06:09 PM
Looks like it's finally going to happen this time....

I realize with Kendall's salary it was going to be hard getting quality in return, but lemme just say that the online Pirate community is, shall we say, furious.....

I think Arthur Rhodes blows goats, I hope he's just temporary and due to be traded soon.... Redman is a decent pitcher, just had a bad year last year....

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7925304

A's, Pirates closing in on Kendall trade
Nov. 24, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

PITTSBURGH -- Three-time All-Star catcher Jason Kendall was close to being traded from the Pittsburgh Pirates to the Oakland Athletics for a pair of pitchers, a baseball official told the Associated Press on Wednesday.

The Pirates would get right-handed starter Mark Redman, who went 11-12 with a 4.71 ERA, and left-handed reliever Arthur Rhodes, who was 3-3 with nine save and a 5.12 ERA, the official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

Kendall, a 30-year-old California native, has a no-trade clause. His agent informed the Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield on Wednesday that he would waive the clause to play for the A's, a person close to Kendall said, also on the condition of anonymity.

Littlefield wouldn't confirm that a deal was nearly done, saying, "There's a lot of speculation about a variety of things."

A career .306 hitter over nine seasons with Pittsburgh, Kendall has caught more games than any player in team history. The Pirates thought they had finalized a deal in January sending Kendall to the San Diego Padres for catcher Ramon Hernandez and third baseman Jeff Cirillo, but the trade fell through when Padres owner John Moores wouldn't approve it.

Kendall is due to make $10 million in 2005, $11 million in 2006 and $13 million in 2007, the final three seasons of the $60 million deal he signed just before the Pirates moved into PNC Park in 2001. The sides were discussing how much of the deal Pittsburgh would assume, the official said.

"I don't comment on trades," Oakland general manager Billy Beane said.

With more than one-fourth of their projected 2005 payroll committed only to Kendall, the Pirates have sought to trade him not only to add pitching help but to gain more financial flexibility. The trade would cut their payroll by nearly $20 million through 2007, though that could be reduced slightly if the Pirates agreed to take on more of Kendall's contract.

Kendall has talked repeatedly over the years of wanting to play his entire career with one team, something he envied Pirates Hall of Famers Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell for doing. But the Pirates have finished as high as second in their division only once with Kendall in their lineup and he has obviously grown weary of the frequent losing in recent seasons.

If the Pirates finalize the trade, they likely would try to make a deal for a catcher since they do not consider backup Humberto Cota to be an everyday player and prospect J.R. House has been frequently injured during his minor league career.

Redman, 30, and Rhodes, 35, are both coming off sub-par seasons. Rhodes would give the Pirates a valuable second left-handed reliever to complement Mike Gonzalez, and Redman would stabilize a starting rotation that lost former No. 1 starter Kris Benson to the Mets in a late-season trade.

Redman was 14-9 with a 3.59 ERA for Florida in 2003 and is 48-51 in his career with Minnesota, Detroit, Florida and Oakland. Rhodes is 72-54 with 26 saves and a 4.48 career ERA since 1991 with Baltimore, Seattle and Oakland.

POJO_Risin
11-24-2004, 06:39 PM
Redman sucks...he's nothing but a 3 or 4...and a really good 5...

Rhodes is an outstanding setup guy...nothing big...

Who cares...with Kendall...or these morons...they're going nowhere anyways...

Va Beach VH Fan
11-24-2004, 07:53 PM
You're right Poj, it doesn't involve the Yankees or Red Sox.... ;)

Oh shit, did I say that ???

POJO_Risin
11-24-2004, 08:22 PM
In the spirit of Thanksgiving...I'm not going to go there...

well...in the spirit of POJO...I'm going to go there just a little bit...

If ye ole' Buccos had anyone running that team with consistency...this would be a non-issue...

Va Beach VH Fan
11-24-2004, 09:39 PM
I cannot disagree with that my friend, unfortunately....

Va Beach VH Fan
11-25-2004, 07:56 AM
I'm hearing now that Rhodes will definitely be traded due to their gluttony of lefties in the bullpen....

Possibly to L.A., who's interested in Rhodes, in some sort of deal for Milton Bradley....

redblkwht
11-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Mesa and Rhodes spells trouble, ya cant keep both..
Theres gotta be another move brewing guys-

POJO_Risin
11-26-2004, 10:01 AM
You don't need nor want Milton Bradley...

a great prospect...hell...not even a prospect at this point...a great player...with a 2 cent head...

you don't need nor want that guy...

if they give up a clubhouse prescence like Kendall...and end up with Redman and Bradley for him...well...on paper...not to bad...

but Redman will be a frontend guy in that rotation...and he's best suited to the bottom end of a rotation...

and Bradley is a cancer...

winning cures a lot though...

Va Beach VH Fan
11-26-2004, 10:28 AM
Redman will be the #3, behind Perez and Wells....

He'd probably be #2, but you don't want lefty-lefty, so that makes him #3....

And with Kendall, let's not forget that when he had his buddy Giles and Mike Williams there, that was the source of a lot of bad attitudes (not that I blame them).... I will say though that he appeared to be quite the leader after those guys were gone....

Bradley is definitely the question mark, no doubt.... But then again we're talking about the team that gave Derek Bell 9 million for nothing, so.....

POJO_Risin
11-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Redman as a #3 is good...better than they have...and a solidifying force on that team...

I just don't like Bradley...a fucking Cancer for three teams now...

POJO_Risin
11-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Done deal...

I think long-term...it's a good move...

they had to move that contract to be able to sign others...

of course...lmfao...now they have to sign a catcher...

I'm hearing Charles Johnson and Henry Blanco...

and both suck...

Va Beach VH Fan
11-27-2004, 03:58 PM
I'd rather have Johnson, at least he's got a little pop in his bat....

Also hearing Matheny possibly...

Snoo
11-27-2004, 04:09 PM
Kendall's a dick. If he'd take all his money and just be happy with it, I wouldn't have a problem with him. But when YOU are the reason why your team can't improve, and YOU have the nerve to cry about how they operate their business while not considering for a second to help them out by giving back some money, then just shut the fuck up.

Lou
11-27-2004, 05:57 PM
Forgive me as I'm not apprised of these things, but does Kendall still catch anymore? Wasn't he in left field for awhile? Is he gonna DH for the A's, and perhaps the A's will get a younger backstop?

Snoo
11-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Yeah, he catches, and according to him never wants to DH. The outfield experiment was just randomly done back when they thought they might actually keep him for the duration of the deal and wanted him to have knees left at the end.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-27-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Snoo
Kendall's a dick. If he'd take all his money and just be happy with it, I wouldn't have a problem with him. But when YOU are the reason why your team can't improve, and YOU have the nerve to cry about how they operate their business while not considering for a second to help them out by giving back some money, then just shut the fuck up.

I think that's a tad bit naive bro.... You honestly wouldn't expect Kendall, or anyone else for that matter, to give millions of dollars back to the team, that just ain't gonna happen....

I don't know how MLB operates in comparison to the NFL, where contracts are restructured all the time to fit the team under the cap....

Of course, the brain surgeons running MLB will never have a cap, but that's a different thread altogether...

Restructuring his contract would be the only possibility I would think would've been possible, but like I said, who knows how MLB, and the MLBPA for that matter, operates....

In terms of his catching abilities Lou, I was always critical of him (ask Poj).... But this year was his best behind the plate.... In fact, he led the NL (for regular catchers) in caught stealing pct. and fewest passed balls.....

This teams needs fucking hitters, they've needed them for a decade now.... They've got 8 to 10 REALLY good arms in at least the AA level, and most of them AAA and above....

But they CONSTANTLY ignore grabbing decent hitters, and that's where they're fucking up....

Snoo
11-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't expect him to. But bitching about how you're handcuffing the team is nonsensical.

POJO_Risin
11-28-2004, 02:21 AM
Look...they offered the guy 60 million...he took it...he should have...

he's worked himself into a more than capable backstop...and has caught more games than anyone the past 3 years...

He's got a great bat...averaging .306...which is like 6th best ALL TIME for a catcher with over 10,000 at bats...

he's one of the best 1 or 2 hitters in the game as far as getting on base...

they'll use him as a catcher...and be fine...

and he will dh when asked...guarantee it...

POJO_Risin
11-28-2004, 02:23 AM
Matheny will ask for to much money...

no way he'll turn down a deal with St. Louis...to play in Pittsburgh...unless he's doin' lines...

redblkwht
11-30-2004, 12:47 AM
So is bradley in with pittsburgh now too? i didnt read that..:confused:

Va Beach VH Fan
12-01-2004, 07:53 AM
No, he isn't, and with his latest arrest, I doubt it....

Stranger things have happened....

Snoo
12-01-2004, 09:14 PM
Hey, we gave Wil "Wifebeater" Cordero another chance...

Va Beach VH Fan
12-08-2004, 08:32 PM
FSN P-Burgh is reporting this is nearly a done deal.....

I like this deal, not sure how Poj and the Tribe fans will though....

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04343/423557.stm

Pirates eye Indians OF
Newly acquired pitcher could be dealt for Lawton
Wednesday, December 08, 2004

By Robert Dvorchak, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Looking to add more offense, especially from the left side, the Pirates are talking with the Indians about a trade that could bring outfielder Matt Lawton into the fold.

The deal would involve sending left-handed reliever Arthur Rhodes, recently acquired in the trade that sent catcher Jason Kendall to the Oakland Athletics, to the Indians for Lawton, a left-handed hitter. Nothing has been confirmed, but the trade could be worked out at the annual winter meetings this weekend in Anaheim, Calif.

The Pirates had a below-average offense even with Kendall, a career .300 hitter who hit at the top of the lineup last year after Tike Redman failed to perform in the leadoff spot. And they were particularly in need of more pop to take advantage of the shorter fence in right field at PNC Park.

General Manager Dave Littlefield would not discuss specific names or even specific clubs, but he did say that the Pirates' top needs are more power, a catcher and a leadoff hitter. The Kendall trade, which shed some salary and involved the A's sending some money to the Pirates the next two seasons, means the Pirates will have some maneuver room as far as contracts are concerned.

"At this time of year, you're in touch with more teams. There's a lot of discussion going on," Littlefield said yesterday.

Lawton, 33, spent the past three seasons with Cleveland and has had some injury issues. He did not figure to see much playing time except as a designated hitter next season with the Indians, who have stockpiled some younger outfielders.

Lawton batted .277 in 150 games and hit 20 home runs with 70 RBIs last season. His career high in home runs came in 1998 when he hit 21 with Minnesota, where he spent six full seasons and part of a seventh. The majority of his starts last season came in left field, where the Pirates have rookie of the year Jason Bay. But Lawton can also play in right, and moving Bay to center field is a possibility.

He would give the Pirates some flexibility in the outfield. Although he required knee surgery after the 2003 season, Lawton has been a base-stealing threat. He stole 23 bases and was caught nine times last year, and has topped 20 or more steals four times in his 10-year career. Redman led the Pirates with 18 steals in 24 attempts in 2004.

Lawton is owed $7,250,000 for next season, the same as he made in 2004. But the deal could work financially because Rhodes is owed about $7 million for the next two seasons and the Pirates have some money available either for new contracts or free-agent signings.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-10-2004, 07:46 PM
I'm hearing now that the teams are exchanging medical reports, so this may be very close to being a done deal....

POJO_Risin
12-10-2004, 08:03 PM
I could care a less about this deal...to be honest...

I've never liked Lawton...

I've never liked Rhodes...

It's a who cares deal for me...

Va Beach VH Fan
12-11-2004, 08:46 AM
Yeah, but in the Bucs' point of view, I like it because:

1) Rhodes is an expensive lefty setup pitcher, in which we already have 3 good ones....

2) Lawton provides some speed and pop in the bat that their lineup DESPARATELY needs....

Sure, it's no blockbuster, but this leans to the Bucs' side, IMO....

Also, BTW, the Charles Johnson deal is almost done as well.... Looks like he'll waive his no-trade clause if he gets a one year, 1.75M extension for 2006...

Once again, I like this move.... He's got some pop in the bat, is an above average catcher, and most importantly for the Buccos, he's extremely cheap pickup in today's MLB....

Snoo
12-11-2004, 08:57 AM
Who's going to the Rockies?

Va Beach VH Fan
12-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Haven't heard any specific names, but I've heard a mid-level prospect....

Also talk of Craig Wilson to the Blue Jays for Alexis Rios, who was their #1 prospect....

I say, the quicker the better for that one...

He couldn't hit a curveball if his life depended on it....

Snoo
12-11-2004, 09:14 AM
Littlefield is probably gunshy about prospects named Rios. I would be. If Wilson wasn't so inept in the outfield, or shaky at first, he'd be worth keeping even if he can't hit curveballs since he could still face Mike Williams-esque relievers that can't throw curveballs, but yeah, I'd sell high.

POJO_Risin
12-11-2004, 02:12 PM
I don't necesarily say that it leans in the Pirates favor as far as the deal goes because Lawton will be lucky to get at bats this year in the Tribe lineup...

so they aren't really giving up anything...

and they are getting a proven guy IN THE SETUP role...

as long as Rhodes isn't closing...I have no problem with him...other than his contract...

Va Beach VH Fan
12-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Snoo
Littlefield is probably gunshy about prospects named Rios. I would be. If Wilson wasn't so inept in the outfield, or shaky at first, he'd be worth keeping even if he can't hit curveballs since he could still face Mike Williams-esque relievers that can't throw curveballs, but yeah, I'd sell high.

I think Armando Rios was just an unlucky pickup in the Schmidt deal...

Dude blew his knee out in the first week after the trade....

The reports on this Rios guy are pretty good.... Five-tool player (I hear that one WAY too much nowadays).....

But Toronto websites are saying this one may be dead though.....

Va Beach VH Fan
12-11-2004, 08:25 PM
And it's official....

Indians get Rhodes for Lawton, offer deal to Clement
Dec. 11, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

CLEVELAND -- Reliever Arthur Rhodes was traded for the second time in two weeks Saturday, sent from the Pittsburgh Pirates to the Cleveland Indians for outfielder Matt Lawton in the first trade of the winter meetings.

Rhodes, a 35-year-old left-hander, was acquired by Pittsburgh from Oakland on Nov. 27 in the trade that sent catcher Jason Kendall to the Athletics. Rhodes lost his closer's job last season while going 3-3 with a 5.12 ERA for the A's. He will become Bob Wickman's setup man in Cleveland.

Lawton was a huge disappointment with the Indians, who acquired him in the 2001 trade that sent Roberto Alomar to the Mets.

The 33-year-old battled injuries during much of his three seasons in Cleveland. With the Indians having a surplus of young outfielders, Lawton's playing time may have been mostly limited to a DH next season.

The team wanted to trade Lawton last season, but couldn't find anyone willing to take on his salary.

Lawton, who made $7.25 million in 2004 and will make the same amount next season, batted .270 with 20 homers and 70 RBI in 150 games last season. He also had 23 steals but was caught nine times.

Rhodes gives the Indians a reliable left-hander in a bullpen that gave up many late-inning leads last season and converted only 32 of 60 save chances.

The Indians are still in the market for a starter and have offered a three-year deal to Matt Clement.

Each team will send cash to the other as part of the deal.

POJO_Risin
12-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Like I said...losing Lawton is like getting the sixth toe cut off your foot...