• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MAX
    Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Does anybody here like these guys? For a time there they were my second favorite band. Their lead singer Anthony Kiedis names Roth as one of his main influences and they used to put on one hell of a live show. I saw them headline Lollapalooza in '92 and saw them open for the Stones in '94 at The Rose Bowl. They fucking rocked. I haven't really been into their last couple of albums. Maybe it's because they've matured and I haven't? LOL! Their best albums are "Uplift Mofo Party Plan" "Mothers Milk" (Hence, my new avatar cos I was rocking out to the album yesterday. lol) and "Blood Sugar Sex Magic." I've met both Flea and Chad Smith and they were both very fan friendly. I'm definitely going through a phase with them right now. However, I used to be a hardcore fan over a decade ago. Anyone else?
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Huge fan!

I thought CALIFORNICATION was actually pretty good. Lots of great tracks. Overall, though, it was still a slightly-watered down PEPPERS album, with little hard funk (GET ON TOP was okay).

The last album really lacked style.

My favorites are UPLIFT MOFO PARTY PLAN, MOTHER's MILK, BLOOD SUGAR and ONE HOT MINUTE (a really under-rated album...Navarro is great on that one!).
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• MAX
      Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Yep. Navarro shredded with them live too. I fucking love "Warped" off "One Hot Minute."
      EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Rikk
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by MAX
        Yep. Navarro shredded with them live too. I fucking love "Warped" off "One Hot Minute."
        WARPED was great. COFFEE SHOP was even better.
        Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• DLR7884
          ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Cool band.

DLR7884
          From the old to the new.
          Originally Posted by WARF:
          DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• loss of fools
            Head Fluffer
            • Oct 2004

there old stuff was great like max said mothers milk is there best album by far. i realy cant stand there later stuff they lost all that was fun about there music and realy turned into a kinda indie band. iv seen these guys twice both times were good but i was pissed that they dident play anything before blood sugar sex magik.

Comment

• MAX
              Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

I hear you my friend. When I saw them in '92 they were great. They even played shit off "Freakey Styley" like "Nevermind." I love the rap into to that song.

"I'm in the middle of June in the summer of '59
              I was young and cool
              We shot a bad game of pool and I hustled all the chumps I could find
              Well now they call me the Swan
              Cos I wave my magic wand and I love all the women to death
              I partied hard
              I packed a mean rod
              And I'll knock you out with a right or left"

That's from memory so it could be a bit off but I love that shit.
              EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Golden AWe
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

I'm a big fan of the old stuff too...but the last few albums - they still make good music, but it lacks the anarchy and the "acid energy" that they used to have...I guess that's what happens when you sober up and start families...Metallica anybody? Well, they started to suck already before sobering up...

There are some songs that I never get tired to hear: "Knock me down" and "Suck my kiss"...f.e.

I think some of Frusciante's solo stuff has been way more interesting than the last two-three RHCP-albums.
                Originally posted by Cato
                Golden, why are you FAT?
                Originally posted by lesfunk
                Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• Drinker42
                  Roth Army Recruit
                  • Jul 2004

The Red Hots have been one of my favorites since about 1988. Their best albums are Uplift Mofo Party Plan and Freaky Styley. Check these out you will not be disappointed. Their live shows suck now compared to what they were early in their career. I saw them in Omaha at a small bar about 6 months after their original guitarist Hillel Slovak died after o.d.ing on heroin. They used a guitarist named Blackbyrd McKnight for that one show. Totally off the hook show for about 200 people.

Comment

• MAX
                    Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

You nailed it Awe. "Uplift Mofo Party Plan" is probably my favorite cos that's when I first got into them. It was 1987, I was junior in highschool and how could I not get hooked with a song that goes "I wanna party on your pussy baby...."
                    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• MAX
                      Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Drinker42
                      I saw them in Omaha at a small bar about 6 months after their original guitarist Hillel Slovak died after o.d.ing on heroin.
                      Hillel was the best. I still think their classic lineup will always be Anthony, Hillel, Flea and Jack Irons.

Welcome to the Army, btw.

Cheers!

EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• MAX
                        Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Speaking of "Uplift" in one of my old bands many miles back we used to play "Me and my Friends" and "Backwoods."

That album is epic!!!
                        EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Rikk
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Drinker42
                          The Red Hots have been one of my favorites since about 1988. Their best albums are Uplift Mofo Party Plan and Freaky Styley. Check these out you will not be disappointed. Their live shows suck now compared to what they were early in their career. I saw them in Omaha at a small bar about 6 months after their original guitarist Hillel Slovak died after o.d.ing on heroin. They used a guitarist named Blackbyrd McKnight for that one show. Totally off the hook show for about 200 people.
                          Welcome to the Army!
                          Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Golden AWe
                            I'm a big fan of the old stuff too...but the last few albums - they still make good music, but it lacks the anarchy and the "acid energy" that they used to have...I guess that's what happens when you sober up and start families...Metallica anybody? Well, they started to suck already before sobering up...

There are some songs that I never get tired to hear: "Knock me down" and "Suck my kiss"...f.e.

I think some of Frusciante's solo stuff has been way more interesting than the last two-three RHCP-albums.
                            I've never actually heard any of his solo stuff...but it can't be denied that the guy's a genius. But now that he's clean, he's just less interesting than he was!!

I also love the early stuff. Funny, I grew up on the later stuff. But now I'm more into albums like UPLIFT MOFO than CALIFORNICATION.
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Drinker42
                              Roth Army Recruit
                              • Jul 2004

Everybody thinks that their own era of music is the best, however, I think it has some validity if you were into the so-called "alternative" era in the mid 80's. Even if you lived in a small university town like Lincoln, Nebraska you could catch great shows by bands that would later become either big or gain some modicum of success. I saw bands like the Peppers, The Replacements, Black Flag, Fishbone, Faith No More, The Bo-Deans, Camper Van Beethoven, The Church, The Circle Jerks, Husker Du, The Meat Puppets.

It seems like today that their are not many bands that produce much music with real edge or ingenuity.

Thanks for the welcome. I've lurked here forever.

Comment

Working...