PDA

View Full Version : The Red Hot Chili Peppers

MAX
12-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Does anybody here like these guys? For a time there they were my second favorite band. Their lead singer Anthony Kiedis names Roth as one of his main influences and they used to put on one hell of a live show. I saw them headline Lollapalooza in '92 and saw them open for the Stones in '94 at The Rose Bowl. They fucking rocked. I haven't really been into their last couple of albums. Maybe it's because they've matured and I haven't? LOL! Their best albums are "Uplift Mofo Party Plan" "Mothers Milk" (Hence, my new avatar cos I was rocking out to the album yesterday. lol) and "Blood Sugar Sex Magic." I've met both Flea and Chad Smith and they were both very fan friendly. I'm definitely going through a phase with them right now. However, I used to be a hardcore fan over a decade ago. Anyone else?

Rikk
12-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Huge fan!

I thought CALIFORNICATION was actually pretty good. Lots of great tracks. Overall, though, it was still a slightly-watered down PEPPERS album, with little hard funk (GET ON TOP was okay).

The last album really lacked style.

My favorites are UPLIFT MOFO PARTY PLAN, MOTHER's MILK, BLOOD SUGAR and ONE HOT MINUTE (a really under-rated album...Navarro is great on that one!).

MAX
12-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Yep. Navarro shredded with them live too. I fucking love "Warped" off "One Hot Minute."

Rikk
12-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by MAX
Yep. Navarro shredded with them live too. I fucking love "Warped" off "One Hot Minute."

WARPED was great. COFFEE SHOP was even better.

DLR7884
12-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Cool band.

DLR7884
From the old to the new.

loss of fools
12-02-2004, 06:38 PM
there old stuff was great like max said mothers milk is there best album by far. i realy cant stand there later stuff they lost all that was fun about there music and realy turned into a kinda indie band. iv seen these guys twice both times were good but i was pissed that they dident play anything before blood sugar sex magik.

MAX
12-02-2004, 06:52 PM
I hear you my friend. When I saw them in '92 they were great. They even played shit off "Freakey Styley" like "Nevermind." I love the rap into to that song.

"I'm in the middle of June in the summer of '59
I was young and cool
We shot a bad game of pool and I hustled all the chumps I could find
Well now they call me the Swan
Cos I wave my magic wand and I love all the women to death
I partied hard
I packed a mean rod
And I'll knock you out with a right or left"

That's from memory so it could be a bit off but I love that shit. :)

Golden AWe
12-02-2004, 06:58 PM
I'm a big fan of the old stuff too...but the last few albums - they still make good music, but it lacks the anarchy and the "acid energy" that they used to have...I guess that's what happens when you sober up and start families...Metallica anybody? Well, they started to suck already before sobering up...

There are some songs that I never get tired to hear: "Knock me down" and "Suck my kiss"...f.e.

I think some of Frusciante's solo stuff has been way more interesting than the last two-three RHCP-albums.

Drinker42
12-02-2004, 07:09 PM
The Red Hots have been one of my favorites since about 1988. Their best albums are Uplift Mofo Party Plan and Freaky Styley. Check these out you will not be disappointed. Their live shows suck now compared to what they were early in their career. I saw them in Omaha at a small bar about 6 months after their original guitarist Hillel Slovak died after o.d.ing on heroin. They used a guitarist named Blackbyrd McKnight for that one show. Totally off the hook show for about 200 people.

MAX
12-02-2004, 07:10 PM
You nailed it Awe. "Uplift Mofo Party Plan" is probably my favorite cos that's when I first got into them. It was 1987, I was junior in highschool and how could I not get hooked with a song that goes "I wanna party on your pussy baby...."

MAX
12-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Drinker42
I saw them in Omaha at a small bar about 6 months after their original guitarist Hillel Slovak died after o.d.ing on heroin.

Hillel was the best. I still think their classic lineup will always be Anthony, Hillel, Flea and Jack Irons.

Welcome to the Army, btw. :)

Cheers!

:gulp:

MAX
12-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Speaking of "Uplift" in one of my old bands many miles back we used to play "Me and my Friends" and "Backwoods." :)

That album is epic!!!

Rikk
12-02-2004, 07:49 PM
The Red Hots have been one of my favorites since about 1988. Their best albums are Uplift Mofo Party Plan and Freaky Styley. Check these out you will not be disappointed. Their live shows suck now compared to what they were early in their career. I saw them in Omaha at a small bar about 6 months after their original guitarist Hillel Slovak died after o.d.ing on heroin. They used a guitarist named Blackbyrd McKnight for that one show. Totally off the hook show for about 200 people.

Welcome to the Army!:)

Rikk
12-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
I'm a big fan of the old stuff too...but the last few albums - they still make good music, but it lacks the anarchy and the "acid energy" that they used to have...I guess that's what happens when you sober up and start families...Metallica anybody? Well, they started to suck already before sobering up...

There are some songs that I never get tired to hear: "Knock me down" and "Suck my kiss"...f.e.

I think some of Frusciante's solo stuff has been way more interesting than the last two-three RHCP-albums.

I've never actually heard any of his solo stuff...but it can't be denied that the guy's a genius. But now that he's clean, he's just less interesting than he was!!

I also love the early stuff. Funny, I grew up on the later stuff. But now I'm more into albums like UPLIFT MOFO than CALIFORNICATION.

Drinker42
12-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Everybody thinks that their own era of music is the best, however, I think it has some validity if you were into the so-called "alternative" era in the mid 80's. Even if you lived in a small university town like Lincoln, Nebraska you could catch great shows by bands that would later become either big or gain some modicum of success. I saw bands like the Peppers, The Replacements, Black Flag, Fishbone, Faith No More, The Bo-Deans, Camper Van Beethoven, The Church, The Circle Jerks, Husker Du, The Meat Puppets.

It seems like today that their are not many bands that produce much music with real edge or ingenuity.

Thanks for the welcome. I've lurked here forever.

Rikk
12-02-2004, 09:37 PM
I saw bands like the Peppers, The Replacements, Black Flag, Fishbone, Faith No More, The Bo-Deans, Camper Van Beethoven, The Church, The Circle Jerks, Husker Du, The Meat Puppets.

I was a child during that period. And I still 100% agree with you on the validity of that era. So many great bands at the time.

I also saw THE PIXIES in concert last week, and it was an unbelievable show. I never thought I'd see those guys live!

Always great to welcome someone who writes well and loves his music.:)

MAX
12-02-2004, 10:27 PM
Alright, I listened to "Uplift" in it's entirety today for the first time in probably twelve years. It still sounds incredible!!!!

Drinker42
12-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Saw them live twice. Once they backed up The Cure and Love and Rockets in Denver. The second time I saw them in Lincoln. My friend and I met up at a bar after the show and, much to our surprise, saw Joey Santiago all by himself. We asked him if he wanted a drink and we did shots of Cuervo with him. Very nice guy. I also asked him why he looked so awful when I saw the Pixies in Denver a year earlier. He laughed and said that he had done a bunch of acid right after the show in Chicago the night before and had not slept in 48 hours before the show in Denver. :cool:

MAX
12-02-2004, 10:40 PM
Yep, I've seen them live twice as well and ironically the first time was in Denver at Fiddlers Green. :) Great show cos they played soooo much old shit. I was surprised. That's where I met Flea and Chad. Flea's a short, short guy.

Rikk
12-02-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by MAX
Yep, I've seen them live twice as well and ironically the first time was in Denver at Fiddlers Green. :) Great show cos they played soooo much old shit. I was surprised. That's where I met Flea and Chad. Flea's a short, short guy.

I think he meant that's where he saw the PIXIES, dufus.;)

Anyway, I'm just bugging you. I never got to see the CHILI PEPPERS live. I would love to, though. One of these tours. But they won't be like they would have been back in the day!

Rikk
12-02-2004, 11:02 PM
Saw them live twice. Once they backed up The Cure and Love and Rockets in Denver. The second time I saw them in Lincoln. My friend and I met up at a bar after the show and, much to our surprise, saw Joey Santiago all by himself. We asked him if he wanted a drink and we did shots of Cuervo with him. Very nice guy. I also asked him why he looked so awful when I saw the Pixies in Denver a year earlier. He laughed and said that he had done a bunch of acid right after the show in Chicago the night before and had not slept in 48 hours before the show in Denver. :cool:

That's amazing. You saw them in their prime.

They were full of energy last week. But I would have killed to see them back in the day. Funny how they had the guts to tour as all four original members. Gee...which band can't pull that one together?

Awesome stuff, man!:)

MAX
12-02-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
I think he meant that's where he saw the PIXIES, dufus.

Oops. Sorry, my bad.

thepunisher
12-03-2004, 02:01 AM
I love all their shit but it seems like the last 2-3 albums theres about 3 or 4 songs about 3/4 thru that kinda drag.
other than that i love their stuff.
also check out their video "positive mental octupus" it's got a bunch of their best videos on it.
thepunisher used to watch that alot in his college days.

MAX
12-03-2004, 02:23 AM
I just watched "Positive Mental Octopus" last night!!!! LOL!!!! I also have a live show on VHS from the Mothers Milk tour as well.

Fight like a Brave!!!! ;)

Rikk
12-03-2004, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by MAX
Fight like a Brave!!!! ;)

Don't be a slave!

MAX
12-03-2004, 05:04 PM
I watched Funky Monks last night. Shit, it's so hard to believe that was almost fouteen years ago. Fuck, I'm feeling old.

Rikk
12-03-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by MAX
I watched Funky Monks last night. Shit, it's so hard to believe that was almost fouteen years ago. Fuck, I'm feeling old.

I love that video. That video was part of the reason I wanted to start recording music myself. It's just amazing watching a great band lay down a classic album.

I still can't believe SOUL TO SQUEEZE was cut off of BLOOD SUGAR. It's a great song.

MAX
12-03-2004, 05:26 PM
I still can't believe SOUL TO SQUEEZE was cut off of BLOOD SUGAR. It's a great song.

I know but thankfully they used as a B-Side on a single and it still get's a lot of Classic Rock airplay here. I fucking love that song. Look at my new avatar. It's from the STS video shoot. :)

Are you familiar with the other track that was left off BSSM that was also released as a B-Side called "Sikamikanico?" It was in Funky Monks as well. It friggin' rocks hard.

Golden AWe
12-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention one very important thing...

"Catholic schoolgirls rule!"

Golden AWe
12-03-2004, 05:28 PM
I've never actually heard any of his solo stuff...but it can't be denied that the guy's a genius. But now that he's clean, he's just less interesting than he was!!

I also love the early stuff. Funny, I grew up on the later stuff. But now I'm more into albums like UPLIFT MOFO than CALIFORNICATION.

I think he's planning to release two or three albums in the near future!

mike sanchez
12-03-2004, 05:38 PM
the last c.d. the put out "bye the way" grew on me...i think it is exellent...........you can really hear what exellent musicians and songwriters they are

MAX
12-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by mike sanchez
the last c.d. the put out "bye the way" grew on me...i think it is exellent...........you can really hear what exellent musicians and songwriters they are

I never bought it cos "Californication" never did much for me but now that I'm back on this total Peppers kick, I think I'll go buy it and give it a listen. :)

Big Troubles
12-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by MAX
Does anybody here like these guys? For a time there they were my second favorite band. Their lead singer Anthony Kiedis names Roth as one of his main influences and they used to put on one hell of a live show. I saw them headline Lollapalooza in '92 and saw them open for the Stones in '94 at The Rose Bowl. They fucking rocked. I haven't really been into their last couple of albums. Maybe it's because they've matured and I haven't? LOL! Their best albums are "Uplift Mofo Party Plan" "Mothers Milk" (Hence, my new avatar cos I was rocking out to the album yesterday. lol) and "Blood Sugar Sex Magic." I've met both Flea and Chad Smith and they were both very fan friendly. I'm definitely going through a phase with them right now. However, I used to be a hardcore fan over a decade ago. Anyone else?

Suck my Kiss and True Men Dont Kill Cyotes rock for me. Love the bass in all the songs. I could do without the "ballads" though.

Rikk
12-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by MAX
I know but thankfully they used as a B-Side on a single and it still get's a lot of Classic Rock airplay here. I fucking love that song. Look at my new avatar. It's from the STS video shoot. :)

Are you familiar with the other track that was left off BSSM that was also released as a B-Side called "Sikamikanico?" It was in Funky Monks as well. It friggin' rocks hard.

Very cool song. I think there were one or two more b-sides from that period too, weren't there?

Rikk
12-03-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Suck my Kiss and True Men Dont Kill Cyotes rock for me. Love the bass in all the songs. I could do without the "ballads" though.

I don't mind the ballads. But I wish they did more hard funk numbers. If I remember correctly, there isn't really anything that's truly hard funk on the last album.

MAX
12-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Very cool song. I think there were one or two more b-sides from that period too, weren't there?

I only know of one more called "Search and Destroy."

MAX
12-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles

I don't care how overplayed they both are but I still love "Under the Bridge" and "Soul to Squeeze." I also didn't mind "Scar Tissue" too much either. I'm more into shit like "Sir Psycho Sexy" and "No Chump Love Sucker." Then again, I fucking love a lot more as well.

Mezro
12-03-2004, 06:53 PM
The Peps kick major monkey bladder!

Give me Mother's Milk, BSSM and Californication. They all slap, grind, jump and kick like a wombat in a gunny sack.

Salt in the wound, salt in the womb - I dance like a freak when Flea's bass fills the room.

Mezro...not just dreaming of Californication...fucking living it...

MAX
12-04-2004, 03:51 AM

I found another from the BSSM sessions. It's a B-Side to "Breaking the Girl" and it's a killer instrumental called "Fella's Cock" and it rocks!!!

Northern Girl
12-05-2004, 11:18 AM
I like their tube socks. :D

Marlowe01
12-05-2004, 11:50 AM
I thought their early albums sucked, like Uplift Mofo Party Plan. I just didn't like how they hadn't developed the RHCP "sound" yet. In the early days it was just them playing random funk beats and stuff underneath a white rapper. Mother's Milk was a pretty good album...I agree. Blood Sugar Sex Magik is great...never really gets old. Californication was a pretty solid album. One Hot Minute was decent, too. As for By the Way, eh....I was kinda disappointed. A couple of good songs, but nothing worth going ga-ga over.

MAX
12-05-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Northern Girl
I like their tube socks. :D

I'll bet you do......... ;)

MAX
12-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Marlowe01
As for By the Way, eh....I was kinda disappointed. A couple of good songs, but nothing worth going ga-ga over.

I just bought it the other day and thought I'd givt it a try. I talked to Rikk and we both agreed. It has no element of funk whatsoever. WTF is up with that? Plus, it has no fucking sexuality to it and that is what theey used to be all about. Far too dark and depressing. What a bummer.

No "Sir Psycho Sexy's" for me to sing. Now that's a travesty.