PDA

View Full Version : Yankees to deal for pair of relievers...

Island Boy
12-03-2004, 01:23 PM
Stanton, Lofton coming & going

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/258520p-221424c.html

Two years ago, the Yankees gave Mike Stanton and two other relievers 15 minutes to make up their minds on contract offers and dumped Stanton, then a longtime Yankee, when he blanched. Yesterday, the Yankees talked to Stanton about returning after working out a trade with the Mets and Stanton said yes.
The Yankees and Mets swapped lefties yesterday, according to multiple baseball officials, with Stanton landing back in pinstripes and Felix Heredia heading to Shea. Stanton also confirmed the trade in a telephone interview.

It was one of two deals the Yankees worked out yesterday to shore up their middle relief. The Yanks are also near a trade that would send Kenny Lofton to the Phillies for righty Felix Rodriguez. The Yankees would send just over $1 million to the Phillies as well, a baseball official said, but they also would clear space in the outfield for someone like free agent Carlos Beltran.

Neither trade was announced last night, but both could be announced today.

Two Yankee officials also said they had not heard from the Diamondbacks again about a potential deal for Randy Johnson. The Yankees told Arizona they wouldn't talk about Johnson anymore, citing what they felt were outrageous demands by the D-Backs, but there are some in baseball who believe talks eventually could restart.

"This time of year, I'm not sure anybody's out of anything," Arizona GM Joe Garagiola Jr. said. "You just keep plugging away. I wouldn't draw any conclusions, but I'm not going to add to the public debate, either."

Even with two bullpen newcomers en route, the Yankees still have plenty of pitching questions, especially in the rotation. With Al Leiter seemingly headed to the Marlins and the Johnson talks suspended, they are pursuing Eric Milton, Jon Lieber, Jaret Wright and Carl Pavano. Pavano will be in New York tomorrow to meet Yankee officials. The Yanks still are interested in lefty relievers Steve Kline and Ron Villone.

Rodriguez, 32, was 5-8 with a 3.29 ERA for the Giants and Phillies last season. He's been one of baseball's best setup men over the past few years, but may always be remembered as the pitcher who gave up a home run to Scott Spiezio that helped cost the Giants what would have been the clinching Game 6 of the 2002 World Series.

The Yankees made identical two-year offers of between $4.6 million and $5 million to Stanton, Mark Guthrie and Chris Hammond two years ago and gave each 15 minutes to decide. Stanton was insulted and signed across town.

That's why Stanton admitted to feeling leery about this deal, though he felt better after speaking to Yanks GM Brian Cashman several times yesterday. "This isn't a situation where the phone rang and I said, 'Absolutely,'" Stanton said. "I'm not one to hold a grudge, but the fact of what happened two years ago, it was something I had to think about and discuss with my family."

"I don't have any ill feelings toward either side, obviously," he added. "The Mets stepped up for me two years ago and I appreciate that."

Ive always liked Stanton and Im glad he is back, now if we can get either Pavano or Milton or maybe both Ill be happy.

No Martinez or Johnson!!!

Carmine
12-03-2004, 01:48 PM
I heard this. Glad Stanton is back, even more glad to see Lofton gone!

NOW SIGN PAVANO ALREADY, CASHMAN!!!!

POJO_Risin
12-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Yeah...Pavano's the answer...lmfao...

Bob_R
12-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin

In addition to Stanton and possibly Pavano, Martinez and/or Randy Johnson may be. :D

POJO_Risin
12-03-2004, 06:40 PM
The deal is this...

Moose is old...

Vasquez is overrated...

They need Pavano...but he's not a NY #1...

Martinez is a #3 that makes a lot of money...

Randy Johnson is a difference maker...

if they get RJ...Pedro and Pavano...

then the Yanks will be back...

aside from that...

they'll be hurting...

even WITH Beltran...

Va Beach VH Fan
12-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin

I'll give Pavano mass props.....

Oh, not for baseball, if only for banging Alyssa Milano..... ;)

POJO_Risin
12-03-2004, 08:28 PM
I'll give you that hombre...

Yeah...she may be a slut...lmfao...

but certainly someone that needs to be fucked...;)

TLR
12-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Great...why would the Phils want to keep a relatively low-priced, power reliever who throws 97? Hell, trade him for a 37 year old CF. Great...

I still vote Thome for Prez, Pojo...

POJO_Risin
12-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Thome is a flaming homo who needs a lighted fucking bat jammed up his faggot pipe...

just to clarify my thoughts...;)

TLR
12-04-2004, 12:01 AM
Hmmm...I'm not sure where you actually stand on that particular issue...