PDA

View Full Version : Where to find Fair Warning concert video

danielc
12-04-2004, 11:37 PM
I was just wondering, I'm sure many of you have seen the "So This Is Love", "Unchained", and "Hear About It Later" videos. But where can this entire concert be found? I saw that the concert was shot by Don ??????? concert series. I believe that that entire concert is recorded. Does anyone know where to find this, or why it's not more accessable? When I first saw those videos that's when I became a Van Halen fan, and haven't turned back since. I just think that footage is just awesome. It kind of has that hazy look --- maybe its some type of film they used. I think the sound is even better than the studio versions, and I had never seen that much energy from a band before. Anyway, to be able to have that entire show on DVD, or VHS, would be like finding a rare gem.

Nickdfresh
12-04-2004, 11:43 PM
I have wondered about this myself.

Bob_R
12-04-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by danielc
But where can this entire concert be found?

Ed's house

I believe that that entire concert is recorded.

I'm sure it is. And, Edward probably has a rottweiller guarding it.

why it's not more accessable?

Probably because Big Al doesn't want it to be.

Bootyac
12-04-2004, 11:55 PM
I have a video called 'van halen rarities 1977-84' it has
you really got me
dance the night away
hear about it later
so this is love
unchanied
(all live)

I think this is the video your talking about..
if your interested email me @ sphollis@yahoo.com

Bill Lumbergh
12-04-2004, 11:56 PM
I bet Ed pays that Rottweiler more than he pays Mikey.

Dave's PA Rental
12-05-2004, 12:06 AM
Ahhh...the Oakland '81 video footage that we all know must exist, but noone has seen it other than those three songs...

I actually have dreams that I stumble upon a copy of it in some mom-and-pop video store...

Dave's PA Rental
12-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC

Probably because Big Al doesn't want it to be.

Alex and Ed dont want to share royalties with Roth...

Dave's PA Rental
12-05-2004, 12:07 AM
...and God forbid that they actually did something that the fans would enjoy...

Nickdfresh
12-05-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
I bet Ed pays that Rottweiler more than he pays Mikey.

He probably talks to his rottweiler more than he talks to Al.

rustoffa
12-05-2004, 12:56 AM
Didn't Ed used to have some hunting dog or something?

I remember some pic of him out in a field with some bird dog walking along in front....

It was probably some retired dope-sniffing liquor mutt....

Ante up mofos!

Va Beach VH Fan
12-05-2004, 08:35 AM
I'll get carpal tunnel if I type all of this again, so I'll just give ya a link to the last time we discussed this....

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8037&highlight=oakland

Warham
12-05-2004, 10:01 AM
Here's a screenshot of an 80s Van Halen show:

CROWBAR
12-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Didn't Ed used to have some hunting dog or something?

I remember some pic of him out in a field with some bird dog walking along in front....

Doubtful a Dalmation is guarding the famous Oakland footage up on Howdy Doody mtn.

degüello
12-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Yeah, the Unchained vid is just fucking monstrously powerful. When I think of Van Halen at the height of its power, I think of that video.

I often use it to show people why I'm such a freaking classic VH nut. And, they need to know Dave wasn't all Gigolo and Cali Girls. The pure rock power of Dave and the mighty VH cuts through in all its ragged glory in that fucking video, for sure.

danielc
12-05-2004, 04:56 PM
Great responses. What about Sarge? He seems like he should know something about this topic.

Hummarstra
12-06-2004, 05:47 AM
The Holy Grail to classic VH fans. One day...one day.

EbDawson
12-06-2004, 06:42 AM
Dave has said there lots of stuff in Edward's vaults that could/should be released but the VH sisters have to do it. Dave said he would like it to happen but he can't do anything by himself.

Nickdfresh
12-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by EbDawson
Dave has said there lots of stuff in Edward's vaults that could/should be released but the VH sisters have to do it. Dave said he would like it to happen but he can't do anything by himself.

Perhaps when the 'Live Without a Net' DVD clears with feeble sales, perhaps the sisters and Bass Player will consider at least releasing the old stuff on DVD.

DLR_EngineRoom
12-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by danielc
I was just wondering, I'm sure many of you have seen the "So This Is Love", "Unchained", and "Hear About It Later" videos. But where can this entire concert be found? I saw that the concert was shot by Don ??????? concert series. I believe that that entire concert is recorded. Does anyone know where to find this, or why it's not more accessable? When I first saw those videos that's when I became a Van Halen fan, and haven't turned back since. I just think that footage is just awesome. It kind of has that hazy look --- maybe its some type of film they used. I think the sound is even better than the studio versions, and I had never seen that much energy from a band before. Anyway, to be able to have that entire show on DVD, or VHS, would be like finding a rare gem.

It was one of several bands' "Don Kirschner In Concert Presents"series this one obviously taken in 1981. I once saw the tail end of the entire concert on a canadian channel, either CBC or CTV (can't recall), where the credits were rolling, and that's how I know for a fact that the entire concert exists. Try doing a 'Google' for "Don Kirschner". The entire show definitely exists...it's out there, just a matter of finding WHO has it, aside from Ed of course.....

Va Beach VH Fan
12-06-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
It was one of several bands' "Don Kirschner In Concert Presents"series this one obviously taken in 1981. I once saw the tail end of the entire concert on a canadian channel, either CBC or CTV (can't recall), where the credits were rolling, and that's how I know for a fact that the entire concert exists. Try doing a 'Google' for "Don Kirschner". The entire show definitely exists...it's out there, just a matter of finding WHO has it, aside from Ed of course.....

The link in my post above details most of that.....

There's no mention of Don Kirschner though...

rustoffa
12-06-2004, 08:49 PM
I've seen the Kirschner clips...he was just using the vids with a few short Dave interviews in between.

Hecubus
12-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Unfortunately, a couple of people are going to have to pass on for that footage to be released.....

Rikk
12-28-2004, 12:05 AM
Here's what I wrote in my FAIR WARNING RE-VISITED thread. This is where I believe the footage is. There is NO entire concert that has ever been released. Those songs are specific videos put together for MTV consumption. The complete footage exists, but no one outside of the organization has ever seen it. Well, read this...

After releasing this album, the band went out on another huge world tour...a tour that is often considered the height of the original band's dangerousness. Indeed, an official document of the excellent FAIR WARNING tour would probably outdo any Van Halen album or video ever released (okay, a fucking Osmonds concert would probably outclass the band's terrible live video RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW). And the idea of such a document isn't merely wishful thinking either. A rumor has been making the rounds that with the latest tour's failure and the band's inability to keep it together with either singer, the band will have to semi-retire but keep an income going through archive releases. A box set is still a possibility. But with the giant success of last year's LED ZEPPELIN DVD release, a vintage Van Halen DVD set designed for home theatres is a further possibility. Yes, this is a rumor. But apparently, the band dusted off the original negatives for the Oakland '81 show (the source of the famous UNCHAINED, SO THIS IS LOVE and HEAR ABOUT IT LATER videos) and realized that the film would require some rather expensive restoration work. See, when the three videos were compiled, the entire concert was NOT edited. The band only had the three songs they planned to release edited together (camera angles/sound) because they only planned to release those three songs. The entire concert WAS filmed for a possible home video release, but the film negatives for most of the concert have sat in a vault for 23 years. In order for the concert to be put on DVD, a professional film company will have to restore the film negatives, transferring them to a digital medium, all the while hoping that everything is still useable and hasn't been too damaged with the space of time (this same problem explains why not every song from Zeppelin's ROYAL ALBERT HALL concert was used in the DVD release last year). It will then be a matter of mixing the original multi-track tapes into 5.1 It is also possible that the band could release an official live album from this show...though this has never been really rumored. The key, according to the rumors, is that the band has to make a decision on whether or not it is worth restoring the film financially. Restoring a giant pile of original film is not cheap. They have to feel confident enough that the sales will be there when the DVD is released. One good thing about this rumor is that film generally looks better than video...espcially video filmed in 1981. If the film is truly restored and the multi-track audio tapes are in good shape, this will shape up to be the ultimate DVD for any Van Halen fan. Anyway, just a rumor, but something I wanted to shove in here. Let's hope the band gets to work on this if they are indeed finished. (Frankly, I hope they're finished...I certainly don't want them to tour with Cheese Head ever again, and after the fiasco in Arizona the other night, that's not likely.)

Hecubus
12-29-2004, 10:22 PM
You said it, bro...That would outsell everything in the =VH= catalog.

WOAHYEAH
12-29-2004, 10:31 PM
I saw a post on the links that said that it EXSISTS, but its rotting away due to time. They were considering releasing it, but they were worried that it would cost more to fix up, than it would sell. BULLSHIT!

Can you believe it? I've watched those vids over and over again at the offical site . .man. . .Hear about it later is amazing. It instantly became my nre favourite song...it kinda sounds like "running with the devil" on J.D.

WOAHYEAH
12-29-2004, 10:41 PM
Er, yeah, just read Rikk's post.

I feel that if it were released, every song [if possible], and promoted right, it could bring back the REAL VH. We just know Roth would break out every stage prop, bandana, blonde mane, and spandex outfit from the attic. The world needs some Van Halen.

Panamark
12-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Why didnt they put those three songs on the Video hits they released ?
Apart from HFT, Jump and Panama, its all Sapm crap (from memory).
We know those clips exist, stoopid fuckers....

BIG GOOSE
12-30-2004, 12:21 AM
Because everyone that saw that would go.."Bring back,Dave"

Brett
12-30-2004, 12:23 AM
Because they weren't "official" videos I guess. Sam was out of the band when the BOV came out, so I doubt it was about that.

WOAHYEAH
12-30-2004, 12:54 AM
I dont think it even included Pretty Woman, right?

Brett
12-30-2004, 01:05 AM
Nah. Didn't include a lot of videos they did.