PDA

View Full Version : Daily Show Book on America Named 'Book of the Year'

Nickdfresh
12-06-2004, 04:24 PM
'Daily Show' book named Book of Year
Publishers Weekly honors Stewart's 'America (The Book)'
Monday, December 6, 2004 Posted: 11:54 AM EST (1654 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Jon Stewart's "America (The Book)," the television commentator's million-selling riff on politics and other matters of satire, has been named Book of the Year by Publishers Weekly, the industry trade magazine.

In announcing the award Monday, Publishers Weekly called the book "a serious critique of the two-party system, the corporations that finance it and the 'spineless cowards in the press' who 'aggressively print allegation and rumor independent of accuracy and fairness.' "

Stewart's book was released in September and immediately topped best-seller lists even as Wal-Mart declined to stock the book, citing a page featuring the faces of the nine Supreme Court justices superimposed over naked bodies.

The page facing the nude photos has cutouts of the justices' robes, complete with a caption asking readers to "restore their dignity by matching each justice with his or her respective robe."

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

DrMaddVibe
12-06-2004, 06:54 PM
He fails to make me laugh why should he compel me to read what he thinks about ANYTHING! He's a comedian not the Dhali Lama! Is he still on tv?

Ally_Kat
12-06-2004, 07:06 PM
I love this week in God -- always get a laugh there.

No Whammies!

Wayne L.
12-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Publishers Weekly has way too much time on its hands if they think America by Jon Stewart is worth reading besides The Daily Show is highly overrated along with its host personally speaking.

Nickdfresh
12-06-2004, 07:11 PM
I find the show quite amusing, but have yet to pick up the book.

Ally_Kat
12-07-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I find the show quite amusing, but have yet to pick up the book.

It's on my Christmas list. If I dont' get it then, I'll buy myself a birthday gift at an after Christmas sale :D

FORD
12-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Haven't got it yet. I'm so behind on my reading, it's pathetic.

DrMaddVibe
12-07-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Yeah, all that ranting, raving, cooking up conspiracies and bunker building must really wear you out. Where do you find all of the time?

Maybe they'll make a movie out of it for you, well that or a viewmaster disc.

LOL!

High Life Man
12-07-2004, 01:58 PM
It's pretty funny.

I think Steven Colbert and Lewis Black helped as well.

BigBadBrian
12-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by FORD

That's because you spend too much of your time HERE. :gulp:

Vivian Campbell
12-21-2004, 01:58 PM
What a shock, the media has been sucking his toes for a good year and a half.

McCarrens
12-21-2004, 03:40 PM
The Daily Show used to be much better than it is now.

Like, when they had Craig Kilborn as the host.

I haven't read the book but I think I may pick it up over the holidays. I justhope it is funnier than the last Franken book.

Nickdfresh
12-21-2004, 03:52 PM
I loved it when Stewart told Tucker Carlson, "Yeah, but you're a dick on every show you're on," on CNN's Crossfire.

McCarrens
12-21-2004, 04:37 PM
I saw that. I think Mr. Stewart is beginning to believe to is a real journalist a little too much.

Nickdfresh
12-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by McCarrens
I saw that. I think Mr. Stewart is beginning to believe to is a real journalist a little too much.

No, not a journalist. But a comedic satirist. Much like Tucker Carlson, who wouldn't let him talk.

DLR'sCock
12-21-2004, 05:37 PM
The Daily Show and John Stewart are always on top of it and way ahead....