X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carmine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2004

Why hasn't any bands covered a VH tune?

I was thinking about this today driving to work. Really, I mean all the great
    rock bands (Zeppelin, Doors, Aerosmith etc) have had their music covered by newer bands. Why no VH? I could think of a few bands that would sound great doing Unchained, RWTD, Hot for Teacher... what do you guys think?
  • nosuchluck
    Sniper
    • Aug 2004

its easier to sound like Tyler and Perry than Roth and EVH...
    i dont think anyone can pull it off too well, especially after listening to that horrendous cover of ''Light up the Sky" on that tribute album...

Comment

• Antman
      Commando
      • Jan 2004

If you're gonna do something, do it right. Besides a few tribute albums, there have been a few bands who had the balls to cover VH, none successfully. 4 Non Blondes did "I'm The One" for the "Airheads" soundtrack and a punk band by the name of Wasted Youth (I beleive that's what they were called) covered "On Fire". The most infamous and probably most horrific cover of VH or any other band was Aztec Camera's version of "Jump". Bottom line is no one can do VH any justice. Especially not Van Hagar.
      When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Comment

• Big Troubles
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Feb 2004

Re: Why hasn't any bands covered a VH tune?

Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
        I was thinking about this today driving to work. Really, I mean all the great
        rock bands (Zeppelin, Doors, Aerosmith etc) have had their music covered by newer bands. Why no VH? I could think of a few bands that would sound great doing Unchained, RWTD, Hot for Teacher... what do you guys think?
        Because CVH is not the type of music you can duplicate or even light a small candle to. Unique in it's own way CVH will never be topped.
        "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Matt White
          • Jun 2004

I've seen the tribute cds, but never had any inclination to listen to them. CLASSIC VAN HALEN is like LED ZEPPELIN, untouchable. Why would someone want to make, much less listen too, an inferior version of a VAN HALEN CLASSIC?

Comment

• Golden AWe
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Some of the new versions on "Nativity in black - tribute to Black Sabbath" were very interesting and good - that's pretty much the only succesful tribute-cd that comes in mind when I think about the classic rock bands...
            Originally posted by Cato
            Golden, why are you FAT?
            Originally posted by lesfunk
            Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
            http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• Carmine
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Apr 2004

I was thinking like a band releasing one as a single for radio airplay.

For example: Nickleback covers "Panama" and puts it on a record, radio stations would eat it up...

Comment

• Matt White
                • Jun 2004

If a band did a VAN HALEN classic, like Panama, I would like to see them a different rout. Do a completely DIFFERENT version. Techno or Industrial. Not try and mimic VAN HALEN, because the original recordings have too much swagger and POWER. Any young band covering the MIGHTY VAN HALEN is gonna sound weak in comparison.

But I do see your point, I think. It would get a new generation interested in the REAL deal.

But, in DETROIT, CLASSIC VAN HALEN gets played as much as a current act. They're on the radio 24-7. I NEVER hear any VAn Hagar, just DAVID LEE ROTH VH.

Comment

• Carmine
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
                  If a band did a VAN HALEN classic, like Panama, I would like to see them a different rout. Do a completely DIFFERENT version. Techno or Industrial. Not try and mimic VAN HALEN, because the original recordings have too much swagger and POWER. Any young band covering the MIGHTY VAN HALEN is gonna sound weak in comparison.

But I do see your point, I think. It would get a new generation interested in the REAL deal.

But, in DETROIT, CLASSIC VAN HALEN gets played as much as a current act. They're on the radio 24-7. I NEVER hear any VAn Hagar, just DAVID LEE ROTH VH.
                  I would like to see "the attempt" to do the original version. If a band techno'd it or changed it from the original I would hate it just because of that reason. Most bands today site Classic VH as an influence, take Velvet Revolver, let them do Unchained. It would probably rock and be accepted by everyone. Your correct that it would get a new generation interested in the REAL DEAL. And, like you in Detroit Rock City:here in Syracuse, its VAN HALEN on the radio 24/7!
                  Last edited by Carmine; 12-07-2004, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• Figs
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jun 2004

No one mentioned the Minutemen's Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love!

Funny as hell! Sounds almost nothing like the original.

"I got no time to fuck around; fuck you - AHHHHHHH!"

I agree with these posts, it must be different 'cause if not they won't live up to Eddie.

Comment

• rustoffa
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

This is a whole albums worth....everything from Eruption on a church pipe organ to a Josie and the pussycat's-soundin' version of Feel Your Love Tonight. Pretty cool indy collection

Everybody wants some Indy compilation

Comment

• EmpyreLounge44
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Jun 2004

lets go 'cuse...big one tonight with ok state.

i dont think it really matters if anyone covers a vh song and gets it on the radio. rarely does it do anything to revive the original's career. 'faith' was huge for limp bizkit but didnt really pump up george michael's sales. of hand, and im sure im missing something obvious. but i cant think of any cover that really revived the original artists career

Comment

• smaz
                          Commando
                          • Mar 2004

Personally, I don't think VH were as influencial on bands as others. Maybe because they don't still have the same career status that bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin etc. do. That's not because the music was not as good, but because of Ed fucking it up by carrying it on afterwards and changing the style, that lowered the VH career status overall. Had Van Halen been left as it was in 1984/5, they would probably have been looked back on as the Gods they were. But, Ed couldn't leave it at that, with Dave having some of the glory. Bastard......
                          Moving webhosts & will be making changes to the picture hosting - watch this space..

Comment

• EmpyreLounge44
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Jun 2004

i think both ed and dlr have a pretty equal part in kicking down the VH legacy since neither were able to achieve the success or quality alone that they had together. Both Ed & DLR went cheese with their biggest hits without the other

Comment

• Matt White
                              • Jun 2004

I think EVH killed it with:
                              cheesy keyboard tunes.
                              Sappy love Ballads.
                              The Ched Rocker.
                              Throwing his talent away chasing a variety of substances.

Now, he works the streets at night......

Comment

Working...