PDA

View Full Version : Yanks sign Wright and Womack

Carmine
12-08-2004, 10:21 AM
Decent pickups here....Jarod Wright will help on the rotation and Womak is good insurance for any injuries in the infield....

DLR7884
12-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Just think who they'll be able to get when the don't have to pay Giambi his full salary.

DLR7884
I'm sure they'll get a discount on him.

Figs
12-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Not thrilled with Wright, even though he bounced back last year. I also think they will get stuck with Giambi's contract.

Carmine
12-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Figs
Not thrilled with Wright, even though he bounced back last year. I also think they will get stuck with Giambi's contract.

they got Wright pretty cheap, 3 year....ONLY 21 million. They will most likely buy out Giambi's remaining years...they owe him what 80 million? His agent said they were "in talks"....who knows?

DLR7884
12-08-2004, 10:46 AM
I hope they do get stuck with his contract.

DLR7884
It's the Yankees though, they'll bend or change a rule for them if they have to.

Figs
12-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
they got Wright pretty cheap, 3 year....ONLY 21 million.

That part's pretty good...

Carmine
12-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by DLR7884
I hope they do get stuck with his contract.

DLR7884
It's the Yankees though, they'll bend or change a rule for them if they have to.

The Players Union may help them get out! Giambi is player rep for the yanks too! whatever details they discussed yesterday at the union meeting about that subject was why the media sought out Giambi's agent for a comment.

Carmine
12-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Figs
That part's pretty good...

Womaks terms were not released, but they cant be all that high. Million or 2 maybe....2 years is all I know

distortion9
12-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Decent pickups here....Jarod Wright will help on the rotation and Womak is good insurance for any injuries in the infield....

Womack is starting...no?

Carmine
12-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by distortion9
Womack is starting...no?

No, I believe him being signed is just simply bench insurance.

Bob_R
12-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Yankees close in on deal with pitcher Jaret Wright
By MIKE FITZPATRICK, AP Sports Writer
December 8, 2004

NEW YORK (AP) -- Jaret Wright and the Yankees closed in on a three-year contract Tuesday night worth $20 million to $21 million, the first major move by New York to revamp its aging rotation.

The Yankees also reached a preliminary agreement with Tony Womack on a $4 million, two-year contract, giving New York a starting second baseman to replace Miguel Cairo.

While no announcements were made, both deals were confirmed by a baseball official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Womack's deal was subject to him passing a physical. After undergoing elbow surgery before last season, the speedy leadoff hitter helped the St. Louis Cardinals reach the World Series, batting .307 with 26 stolen bases and 91 runs.

Wright, who will turn 29 on Dec. 29, went 15-8 with a 3.28 ERA in a big comeback season with the Atlanta Braves this year, but he lost both his starts in the playoffs.

New York offered salary arbitration to Jon Lieber and Orlando Hernandez before Tuesday's midnight deadline, giving the team until Jan. 8 to re-sign two key members of last season's rotation. However, Lieber appeared headed for Cleveland or Philadelphia.

The AL East champions also offered arbitration to switch-hitter Ruben Sierra but turned their attention to Womack instead of trying to bring back Cairo, a pleasant surprise as the starter down the stretch.

``We're going in another direction,'' general manager Brian Cashman said.

The Yankees declined to offer arbitration to six other free agents: first basemen John Olerud, Tony Clark and Travis Lee, right-hander Esteban Loaiza, infielder Enrique Wilson and left-hander C.J. Nitkowski. Olerud's departure might lead to New York signing Tino Martinez.

Players not offered arbitration cannot re-sign with their former teams until May 1, so they'll almost certainly end up elsewhere. Those offered arbitration have until Dec. 19 to accept and may re-sign through Jan. 8.

Lieber and Hernandez were two of New York's most consistent pitchers in the second half of 2004, but the rest of the rotation struggled for much of the season.

The team declined its $8 million option on Lieber last month, and he filed for free agency. New York has said it wants to re-sign the 33-year-old right-hander, probably to a two- or three-year contract.

Updated on Wednesday, Dec 8, 2004 1:08 am EST

Figs
12-08-2004, 11:49 AM
I forgot about Travis Lee. He's decent. I'd like to see Lieber back.

Island Boy
12-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Olerud's departure might lead to New York signing Tino Martinez.

Bring him back!!!!!:D

Tino@1st
Womack@2nd
Jeter@SS
ARod@3rd
Jorge--Catching

I like it!!!:D

Figs
12-08-2004, 04:26 PM
Fuck!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=phillieslieber&prov=st&type=lgns

Phillies sign RHP Lieber to three-year contract

December 8, 2004
PHILADELPHIA (Ticker) - The New York Yankees let righthander Jon Lieber get away, and the Philadelphia Phillies scooped him up.

The Phillies on Wednesday signed the 34-year-old Lieber, who won 14 games for the Yankees last season, to a three-year contract worth $21 million.

The deal, which includes a $1 million signing bonus, will pay Lieber $5.25 million in 2005, $7.25 million in 2006 and $7.5 million in 2007.

After missing all of 2003 while recovering from "Tommy John" surgery, Lieber returned to the major leagues last season and posted a 14-8 record with a 4.33 ERA in 27 starts. He was the Yankees' best starter in September, posting a 5-0 record and a 3.12 ERA over his final six starts, and won Game Two of the American League Championship Series against the Boston Red Sox.

Lieber declined an arbitration offer from the Yankees, who elected not to pick his club option for 2005.

"Jon is a solid, experienced starting pitcher who is a great competitor," Phillies general manager Ed Wade said. "He rebounded in 2004 and helped the Yankees during both the regular season and playoffs."

Known for his impeccable control, Lieber has walked only 1.76 batters per nine innings in his career, ranking second behind Brad Radke among active pitchers.

In 2001, he won 20 games for the Chicago Cubs and earned a spot on the National League All-Star team.

"Jon's been an All-Star, a 20-game winner and a workhorse throughout his career," Wade said. "We're very pleased to have him in our rotation."

Lieber has a career record of 100-91 with a 4.20 ERA in 299 games.

Carmine
12-08-2004, 04:30 PM
shit! I didnt know that either. GET TO FUGGIN WORK CASHMAN!!!!

SheAintWaiting
12-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Wasn't Womack on the
01 Dbax team?

sAw

Lou
12-08-2004, 05:29 PM
I think Jon Lieber is a nice pitcher, but the Phillies are going to make it out like he's a #1, and he's not.

Ed Wade will make this out as *the* big signing.

So let's see, the Phillies could have gone after Carl Pavano or Jon Lieber...they chose Jon Lieber.

Kenny Lofton or Carlos Beltran...they chose Kenny Lofton.

In other words, an organization that goes halfway and hopes.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Two good signings....

Wright got back to his days when he was throwing smoke for the Tribe....

Womack is still a very serviceable second baseman, he should start over the stiffs the Yanks had their last year....

distortion9
12-09-2004, 08:51 AM
Looks like Womack will start, Yankees let Cairo go. Which is a shame, Cairo did a nice job last year, starting the season on fire and was almost impossible to strike out. Not to mention he's 5 yearsy younger than Womack.

Not digging this move at all.

Keeping Lieber was a no-brainer......Cashman dropped the fucking ball.

Carmine
12-09-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by distortion9
Looks like Womack will start, Yankees let Cairo go. Which is a shame, Cairo did a nice job last year, starting the season on fire and was almost impossible to strike out. Not to mention he's 5 yearsy younger than Womack.

Not digging this move at all.

Keeping Lieber was a no-brainer......Cashman dropped the fucking ball.

Agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!

Carmine
12-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by SheAintWaiting
Wasn't Womack on the
01 Dbax team?

sAw

Yep, got the friggin winning "hit"!

Va Beach VH Fan
12-09-2004, 07:28 PM
Yep, got the friggin winning "hit"!

I think you're referring to Luis Gonzalez on that one bro....

Carmine
12-10-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
I think you're referring to Luis Gonzalez on that one bro....

Your right! My bad....he was involved in the "END" of that series though. How?

Va Beach VH Fan
12-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Yeah, he drove in the tying run with a hit down the 1st base line....

POJO_Risin
12-10-2004, 07:49 PM
They could have done worse...but Wright was the beneficiary of a good pitching coach in Atlanta...

I like Wright...but he's not a $7,000,000 guy...They should have kept Lieber...who they KNOW can pitch well in NY...

and Womack? I see him as an equal to the stiffs the Yanks had last year...

we'll see how they fit on this team though...

Va Beach VH Fan
12-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Womack has always been very underrated IMO....

He's not THAT stiff.... ;)

POJO_Risin
12-10-2004, 08:22 PM
He's fine...St. Louis platooned him a bit last year...

I don't know about underrated...I think he's a middle of the road infielder...decent glove skills...and an okay stick...

nothing to shout about...

we'll see how he does in NY...

Figs
12-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Losing Lieber was dumb. Coming back from injury, ha had a pretty good second half and did a very good job in the post season.

POJO_Risin
12-10-2004, 09:19 PM
I just don't know how you can go after Wright who has had a history of arm trouble similar to Lieber...when you can have Lieber who had a proven track record in NY...and down the stretch...

Figs
12-10-2004, 10:18 PM
absolutely

it sounds absurd for a team with this much money and had an option to keep him at 8 mill or so, but i think they cheaped out. he's not a headcase or anything like that.

POJO_Risin
12-11-2004, 01:57 AM
Wright is...although maybe he's matured a bit...

I'm sure the Yanks were looking at age as well...I don't know...