PDA

View Full Version : MLB puts Bonds marketing on hold

Bob_R
12-08-2004, 11:49 AM
AP NewsBreak: Baseball puts Bonds marketing plans on hold
By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer
December 7, 2004

NEW YORK (AP) -- Baseball's plans to market Barry Bonds' pursuit of the home run record have been put on hold, fallout from the release of his grand jury testimony about steroids.

The commissioner's office and a corporate sponsor it was courting for the campaign canceled a meeting on the project. Baseball said it had hoped MasterCard International would sponsor the promotion.

``We continue to assess the ramifications that these issues will have on our business,'' Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer, said Tuesday. ``It's another reason why we need to restore the confidence of not only our fans, but of our partners.''

Baseball already had sent the company detailed materials and artwork pitching the campaign. But the meeting was called off following last week's report that Bonds testified he took substances that federal prosecutors say are steroids.

The San Francisco Giants' slugger finished the 2004 season with 703 homers, 52 shy of Hank Aaron's record, and at his recent pace he would reach the mark late next year or in 2006.

The program created by baseball called for a campaign in 2005 building to the game in which Bonds would break Aaron's record. A nationally televised on-field ceremony would offer significant exposure for a corporate sponsor. Teams the Giants visit would be invited to be part of the marketing plan.

Jeff Bernstein, Bonds' personal marketing representative, did not return a telephone call for comment.

Bonds was to be approached for his inclusion in the campaign, but plans had not progressed that far. He opted out of the marketing plan of the Major League Baseball Players Association last year, and he now controls his own image.

Updated on Tuesday, Dec 7, 2004 6:29 pm EST

_

DLR7884
12-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Who cares?

As good as Bonds is, he is underappreciated because he is such an asshole to the media.

DLR7884
I'm sure he couldn't care less about this.

Warham
12-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Bonds doesn't care about anybody but himself.

Therein lies the problem.

DLR7884
12-08-2004, 12:05 PM
Why is that such a problem for you?

DLR7884
???

Bob_R
12-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Bonds doesn't care about anybody but himself.

Therein lies the problem.

Exactly.

Bonds is a scumbag.

Sorry Bill. :D :) ;) :p

Warham
12-08-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Why is that such a problem for you?

DLR7884
???

I have a problem with anybody acting like that, not just professional athletes.

DLR7884
12-08-2004, 12:22 PM
Why does it matter to you all if he doesn't care about anyone but himself?

How does that directly affect you?

DLR7884
??? I don't understand the bitterness ???

DLR7884
12-08-2004, 12:23 PM
I have a problem with anybody acting like that, not just professional athletes.

But, he hasn't done anything to you directly has he?

DLR7884
Don't you have bigger fish to fry in your life than Barry Bonds' attitude?

Warham
12-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Not since we are on the subject, no, I don't have bigger fish to fry.

Barry sets an example to children with his actions. Now there are thousands of kids out there playing little league or high school who are thinking, 'gee, if Bonds does, I should too if it'll help me hit 70 home runs.'

Bonds might not affect me directly, but he affects many others who are much younger than I am.

Therein lies my beef.

DLR7884
12-08-2004, 12:45 PM
So now we are going to use the "role model" argument?

Is Bonds a worse role model than an NBA player?

DLR7884
I think we just opened a whole new can of worms.

Bill Lumbergh
12-08-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
Exactly.

Bonds is a scumbag.

Sorry Bill. :D :) ;) :p

He's a GREAT family man by all accounts............so the "he only loves himself" comment doesnt hold water.

DLR7884
12-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Yeah, he doesn't beat his wife or cause any trouble off the field. His first wife still gets along with him and his new family.

DLR7884
There are worse people in the world than Barry Bonds.

Warham
12-09-2004, 03:26 PM
Sure there are, but I don't like him either.

:D

DLR7884
12-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Sure there are, but I don't like him either.

:D

Well alrighty.

DLR7884
:)