PDA

View Full Version : AWOL and AINO (American in Name Only)

BigBadBrian
12-09-2004, 09:54 AM
AWOL and AINO (American in Name Only)
Michelle Malkin

December 8, 2004

Fugitive U.S. soldier Jeremy Hinzman is an unrepentant embarrassment to his country of birth. Last year, he deserted from the 82nd Airborne Division, fled to Canada and became the anti-war movement's sexiest man alive. Now, in a desperate bid for refugee status, this AWOL poster boy is collectively smearing our brave men and women in Iraq as war criminals to save his hide.

Do our neighbors to the north really want to become a paradise for America's cut-and-run reprobates? Apparently so. At Hinzman's refugee hearing on Monday, the National Post reports, “demonstrators braved the morning snow and icy winds to show their support, carrying signs such as ‘Canada should welcome war resisters.'"

Perhaps too much drug-addled ‘60s nostalgia has burnt out the bleeding-hearts pacifists' brain cells. But there is a Michael Moore-sized distinction between Hinzman and the thousands of “resisters” who fled to Canada during the Vietnam War. Unlike the American draft dodgers who crossed the northern border more than three decades ago, Hinzman volunteered for military service in January 2001. He joined of his own free will. Nobody forced him to go to the recruitment office. Nobody dragged him to Fort Bragg.

He happily cashed in his Army paychecks until deployment to Afghanistan was imminent. After his application for conscientious-objector status was rejected, he grudgingly finished his stint in Afghanistan, declared opposition to the coming war in Iraq, packed up his wife and infant son, and waltzed into the open arms of Toronto's radical leftists.

It's been one big pacifist kumbayah ever since -- a dazzling procession of campus tributes, rock-star galas, and international media martyrdom. And when he's not on his tour of self-promotional duty, Hinzman and his wife (a feminist social worker who has also applied for asylum in Canada) are savoring the good life in their newly adopted home. Hinzman reports on his own snazzy Web site:

In the mornings, we usually take (son) Liam to various playgroups in our neighborhood. In the afternoon, we alternate which one of us cooks dinner. I also try to go for a run while Liam naps. In the evening we play with our son and often go to various parts of Toronto and 'people watch' to get Liam out of the house. After he goes to sleep for the night, I try to read or Nga (Hinzman's wife) and I watch a movie or do various other things. A great deal of this routine, or lack thereof, will probably soon change after I get a work permit and find some sort of employment.

Hinzman is enjoying his domestic tranquility on the backs of each and every American military man and woman who is living up to his or her commitment to uphold a sworn oath of duty. Hinzman and his lawyer plan to argue to Canadian immigration officials that American soldiers are guilty of war crimes and that forcing Hinzman to fight in Iraq would have likely made him a war criminal. Among the witnesses testifying on Hinzman's behalf is former U.S. Marine Staff Sgt. Jimmy Massey, the Winter Soldier of the 21st century, who claims his platoon killed “a bunch of innocent civilians.” Massey has been making the rounds in the French media and other America-hating swamps.

Several others have followed Hinzman's trail, hoping Canada will buy into their sob stories. But by embracing our cowards, Canada undermines not only the war on terror but also its own asylum system. American deserters face neither execution nor persecution if returned to the United States. Just look at Petty Officer 3rd Class Pablo Paredes, who on Monday refused to board his Navy ship in protest of the war on Iraq.

Unlike Hinzman, Paredes is ready and willing to go to jail. After his release, Paredes is sure to get a book deal, a CBS made-for-TV movie, a party at Susan Sarandon's, and honorary Canadian citizenship -- if he doesn't apply for it himself first.

If Hinzman had half a brain and as much spine, he'd come back to the States and face the music. But that would require an ounce of American character that is as foreign to him as it is to his Canadian comrades.

Angel
12-09-2004, 12:45 PM
We'll let this idiot in, but yesterday we sent a woman back to Iran, she's already in jail there.

Kick the fucking bastards out, I say. They signed up for duty... fucking cowards!

BigBadBrian
12-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Angel
We'll let this idiot in, but yesterday we sent a woman back to Iran, she's already in jail there.

Kick the fucking bastards out, I say. They signed up for duty... fucking cowards!

You are talking out both sides of your mouth, which should be no problem since it is obviously big enough. In another thread, you said Canada should have its arms wide open for these people. You can't make up your damned mind. Typical. :rolleyes:

Angel
12-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Arms wide open for draft dodgers once it is reinstated, possibly, but desserters, NO!

I didn't feel that way at first, I was under the impression that these were soldiers who had served their contract periods and had been re-called.

This one signed up for service, he should have thought about the possiblity of having to actually fight when he made that decision.

I'll admit I can be confusing sometimes, I'm extremely liberal on some issues, and extremely conservative on others.

Nickdfresh
12-09-2004, 05:53 PM
I have much more respect for this guy, because he is willing to suffer IN THIS country for his beliefs. And being a sailor on a ship, he faced little or no real danger.

December 6th, 2004

Navy Petty Officer in San Diego Refuses War Duty; He won't board ship transporting troops

by Chet Barfield / Union-Tribune

Acknowledging that he could face a court martial and possible imprisonment, a Navy petty officer yesterday said he will refuse to board his transport ship when it departs for the Persian Gulf this morning because he wants to make a public stand against the Iraq war.

"I'm going to throw my ID in the water and say that I'm no longer part of the military," said Petty Officer Third Class Pablo Paredes, 23. "I want to make a statement, and I want it to be heard."

Paredes, a weapons-control technician from the Bronx, N.Y., said he joined the Navy in 2000 and has 20 months left on his six-year enlistment. He said he was stationed previously in Japan and, until now, did not feel he had a direct role in the war, which he has opposed since its inception.

Then, about two weeks ago, he was involuntarily transferred to the amphibious transport Bonhomme Richard, which ferries Marines to Iraq.

"I don't want to be a part of a ship that's taking 3,000 Marines over there, knowing a hundred or more of them won't come back," he said. "I can't sleep at night knowing that's what I do for a living."

Paredes said he wasn't sure he would be allowed onto his ship's pier at the 32nd Street Naval Station this morning because he made his feelings and intentions known in local TV interviews Saturday night. He said he unplugged his phone yesterday at his Imperial Beach apartment in case officials from the base tried to call him.

A base spokesman did not return a message seeking comment.

Paredes said his stance has nothing to do with fear for his personal safety.

"It's not about my own life," he said. "I'm just totally against it."

He said he was young and naive when he joined the Navy and "never imagined, in a million years, we would go to war with somebody who had done nothing to us."

Paredes said he discussed his plans with his wife of two years in New York, "and she supports my decision 1,000 percent," even though he might get a dishonorable discharge and lose pay and benefits.

He said he thought of smoking marijuana or breaking his leg with a heavy metal rod to try to get a discharge but decided instead to go public with his protest. He said he hopes doing so might inspire other sailors, soldiers and Marines to refuse to take part in the war.

"I know other people are feeling the same way I am, and I'm hoping more people will stand up," he said. "They can't throw us all in jail."

Angel
12-09-2004, 06:53 PM
EXACTLY! If you don't like it, stay there and try to fix it.

Just think, all those dodgers that stayed here... If they had returned to the States when they were granted amnesty, they would have voted Democratic, and you'd all be bitching that George lost. ;)