PDA

View Full Version : Aerosmith- Live! Bootleg I and II: worth buying?

Marlowe01
12-09-2004, 05:20 PM
I've heard nothing but bad things about these live CDs and I'm just wondering if they're worth buying. Let me know what you think.

ALMOSTsaved
12-09-2004, 05:23 PM
There's only one LIVE! BOOTLEG and it's fucking phenomenal!

There's Classics LIVE I & II and they BOTH suck.

Fairwrning
12-09-2004, 05:29 PM
http://www.sonymusic.net/images/selection/100/so57365.gif

This is a kick-ass live album....raw and un-doctored...the way rock and roll is supposed to sound...:baaa:

VHII
12-09-2004, 06:06 PM
yes its an awesome album with a great choice of song

loss of fools
12-09-2004, 07:11 PM
chip away at the stone + sick as a dog on the same album + live. well need i say more

Va Beach VH Fan
12-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by fairwrning

This is a kick-ass live album....raw and un-doctored...the way rock and roll is supposed to sound...:baaa:

Fuck yes, one of my favorite live albums.....

Matter of fact, their live version of "Toys in the Attic" may be one of their best tunes they play live....

David Van Via
12-09-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by fairwrning

I heard the clapping at the end of one of the songs was added in later (don't remember which one it was) .

Fairwrning
12-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by David Van Via
I heard the clapping at the end of one of the songs was added in later (don't remember which one it was) .

"come together"....it was recorded in a wharehouse somewhere, supposedly..and added in..not sure why...

David Van Via
12-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Oh well, thank god that was right then, after I posted that I thought "wait is that the right album". Oh and thanks for the info!

ODShowtime
12-10-2004, 08:34 AM
Live Bootleg does kick serious ass. The other two aren't bad, but aren't great either. Look around on easytree for boots too. The Boston Pall Mall 73 show was on there awhile ago, and some songs from that show are on Live Bootleg.

I got the Scheaffer Music Fest show awhile back from 1975 and that shit SMOKES!

You just gotta look around.

Mr Badguy
12-10-2004, 03:02 PM
"Classics live 2" isn`t bad, but "Classics live" sucks and contains overdubs by Jimmy Crespo and some guy called Adam Bomb.

I don`t know why because even overdubbed it still sounds shit.

"Live! Bootleg" is infinately better.

Antman
12-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Can't forget Train Kept a Rollin

VHII
12-11-2004, 12:09 AM
thats so great, and the twist on walk this way, and off course back in the saddle to open up, its one of the best live ones, oh yeah dont forget the hidden Draw the line, i think its at the end of Mother Popcorn

Va Beach VH Fan
12-11-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Antman

Absolutely, thanks for reminding.... :D

Mr Badguy
12-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Antman

Yeah, THAT guitar solo.

UGH!

Atomic_Rob
12-12-2004, 07:34 AM
That is a quality version of Come Together on there. It was recorded in there 'home base' I think, its like where they did recording and they had that infamous wall of underwear. If I remember right thats what it said in the Aerosmith book.

While the setlist from Live! Bootleg is great, its a shame its not got more of a complete setlist from that tour. I think they played Rats In The Cellar [personal favourite] as the opener for most shows on the tour and its not on there! There are like 3 radio broadcast shows that were recorded in the same week in March 78, they are fuckin brilliant. Boston Music Hall I think is the best one.

You can get Classics I & II on the same disk, coz thats what I've got!

Not on the same level, but what do people think of A Little South Of Sanity?

Wayne L.
12-12-2004, 09:25 AM
I got Live Bootleg for Christmas in my youth way back in 78 & it's one of the greatest classic rock live albums of all time which defines Aerosmith during their 70's reign!

VHII
12-12-2004, 12:09 PM
i like little south of sanity, i wish theyd have let it be a little rawer though, i love live cds

Marlowe01
12-12-2004, 12:56 PM
I like a Little South of Sanity A LOT. I think it kicks ass, personally.

David Lee Rocks
12-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
There's only one LIVE! BOOTLEG and it's fucking phenomenal!

There's Classics LIVE I & II and they BOTH suck.

i agree with that, Live Bootleg was the first Aerosmith album I bought, after that, I went out and bought the rest of em

ALMOSTsaved
12-22-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm listening to the CD at work as I write this!

"Come Together" is so raw...recorded in the "warehouse"...I can't get enough of it.

Also, when I first got this album on cassette back in '86...It was the first time I was introduced to "Lord Of The Thighs." I purchased "Get Your Wings" shortly thereafter and the "Live! Bootleg" version of the song STILL kicks the studio version's ass to this very day!

Unfortunately, I have almost ALL of the classic Aerosmith albums on vinyl and a good copy of "Live! Bootleg" still manages to escape me.

Live albums sound best on vinyl.

Atomic_Rob
12-22-2004, 12:46 PM
You can pick up Vinyl copies of Live! Bootleg in London no problem ALMOSTsaved

Top Jimmy
12-22-2004, 01:14 PM
I have a crate and a half of vinyl....good stuff, too...including a rough-around-the edges-, cover-held-together-by-tape version of Live Bootleg.

Can't play a fucking one, don't have a turntable. So there sits VH I & II, and most of the early KI$$ Katalog, and that perfect copy of the three-fold yellow brick road...and the paper-in-plastic, japanese import version of the first Boston lp....and they all just fuckin SIT there.....arrgh....

Atomic_Rob
12-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Just change subject slightly, one band I have never seen any vinyl of anywhere is Van Halen. Not in record fairs, not in shops, nowhere.

Out of interest, did anyone here go to Texxas Jam 78, with Aerosmith, The Nuge and the mighty VH? Seen the Aerosmith video, they are completely fucked out of the minds [No change there - especially Tyler] but its absolutely brilliant.

Balue
12-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Live Bootleg is fantastic. Amazingly loose release - lots of out of tune guitars and vocals, very Rock 'n' Roll. It tends to get a bad press from reviewers like the AllMusic Guide who write off Bootleg and Draw The Line as the point where the drugs got ahead of the music. I always thought Rocks was a bit too polite myself, Last Child at a "commercial" tempo, that terrible ballad at the end, etc. None of that with Bootleg where Last Child rips along, or with Draw The Line which closes with the glorious Milk Cow Blues stomp.

The 2 Columbia/Sony albums aren't in the same class. Bit of a cash in on the back catalogue when Aerosmith became popular again on Geffen. I believe vol1 was released without the bands involvement, and they were so disappointed by it they made sure they had some say in vol2, seeing as Sony were going to release it anyway. Vol1 is mainly, if not all, from the years without Perry, Vol2 mostly oldies recorded by the reformed original lineup around the time of Permanent Vacation. Some great songs on both albums but no essential performances.

If you ever see a video called Video Scrapbook it's well worth picking up for some great live performances from 76 and 78, with the band in better shape than the Texas Jam.

loss of fools
12-22-2004, 06:43 PM
iv been wanting to get video scrapbook for ages. is it mainly live stuff or is there any early videos on there?

Balue
12-22-2004, 07:01 PM
I always skip the videos. Chiquita with Crespo, Lightning Strikes with Crespo/Dufay.

Live stuff is Toys In The Attic, Same Old Sone And Dance, Chip Away At The Stone, Draw The Line, Sweet Emotion, Walk This Way, Adam's Apple, and a huge Train Kept A Rollin' where Perry runs through every riff he can remember from his schooldays at the end. There's a live Dream On too but the footage is a bad montage of still shots. The rest is all straight live footage, with some vaguely amusing linking skits from the lads on tour in the mid-80's, one of which features Paul Stanley - a great guy but probably the worst guitarist ever to take an unaccompanied solo in front of 20,000 people :p

Mr Badguy
12-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Balue
Vol1 is mainly, if not all, from the years without Perry,

"Kings and queens" from "Classics..live" is very similar to the live version on "Pandora`s box", but with a lot more (overdubbed) guitars.

I think that is the only "live" song on that album that features Perry and Whitford.

I don`t really like "A little south of sanity".

There are just too many ballads, it`s more like a live greatest hits album.

As soon as they release "Texxas jam `78" on CD, I`ll be first in the queue to buy it.

rustoffa
12-26-2004, 07:47 PM
I've got this old "California Jam II" LP...

Killer performances of "Same Old Song and Dance", "Draw the Line", and "Chip Away the Stone".

TwoFoolsAMinute
01-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Live Bootleg has the best performance of Last Child I have ever heard. I accidentally recorded that track off the radio when I was in Junior High, and didn't realize until much later that it was even a live track. It kicks the studio version's ass.

Coyote
01-02-2005, 08:23 PM
I have "Live Bootleg", but I can't remember where it is... It's somewhere in the house...

rustoffa
01-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by TwoFoolsAMinute
Live Bootleg has the best performance of Last Child I have ever heard. I accidentally recorded that track off the radio when I was in Junior High, and didn't realize until much later that it was even a live track. It kicks the studio version's ass.

Brings back some memories man.

King Biscuit, etc......this station in Savannah used to play an album in it's entirety like at 11 on sunday nights. This was late-70's through the mid eighties.

I was about 75 miles away, so the recorded quality would vary depending on the weather....the tape I made of Sweet's " desolation boulevard" had a bit of static coming and going....you could hear it bigtime between songs.

Fuck, I loved that tape.

blueturk
01-02-2005, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rustoffa
Brings back some memories man.

King Biscuit, etc......this station in Savannah used to play an album in it's entirety like at 11 on sunday nights. This was late-70's through the mid eighties.

I was about 75 miles away, so the recorded quality would vary depending on the weather....the tape I made of Sweet's " desolation boulevard" had a bit of static coming and going....you could hear it bigtime between songs.
Fuck.I loved that tape.[Quote]

Cool! I grew up in Savannah and moved to NC in 1978,but I still have family there so I go see them and hit River Street .
Anyway,I heard Van Halen's 1st album for the first time on one of those "Midnight Album" deals on WQUT out of Johnson City ,TN.I'll never forget it.The DJ said there was a new band that sounded like "the American Scorpions",which got me interested.So I put a blank cassette in and hit "record" on my kick-ass Realistic stereo.I sat there in a state of shock until it was over,then called all my friends ( whether they were awake or not) and played this incredible new band to them on the phone.Needless to say,it was a BIG hit! Great fucking memories!