PDA

View Full Version : Tribute To Dimebag

Matt White
12-10-2004, 07:02 AM
:( From MTV NEWS: DIMEBAG REMEMBERED.

From the moment he and his brother Vinnie (who went by Vinnie Paul) formed Pantera in Dallas in 1982, Abbott lived to be a heavy metal hero and strived to take guitar playing to a new place. And when Pantera took off, he gleefully indulged in the spoils of rock stardom, launching his own strip club and endorsing his own line of guitars. But what he'll always be best remembered for is his mastery of his instrument.

For more than 15 years, Abbott's playing crackled and burned like a dangerous brushfire, first with Pantera, and then, when that band publicly exploded in 2000, with Damageplan, which he co-founded with Vinnie last year. He also worked on an album with country maverick David Allen Coe and guested on records by Nickelback, Anthrax and others. While he came of age in the '80s thrash-metal scene, Abbott had tremendous influence with the recent crop of metalcore and nü-metal acts.

"After Eddie Van Halen, you had Dimebag Darrell," said Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian. "He was the next guy that came along and did something as original and important on guitar."

"Dime's music gave me so much to live for when I was younger, and he truly changed the face of metal with his unique style of guitar playing," Chimaira frontman Mark Hunter said. "There isn't a metal band I know that hasn't borrowed a riff or three from him."

Indeed, Abbott's playing was powerful, innovative and unpredictable. He was equally capable of churning out crunching, staccato riffs as ominous textural arpeggios, and while he was metal to the core, his Texas roots and love for ZZ Top and Lynyrd Skynyrd gave his playing a southern swing that, in the early years of Pantera's success, was dubbed "power-groove." In addition, Abbott flavored his songs with squealing harmonics and tuneful lead licks that became an integral part of his rhythms. However, he may be best known for his searing, virtuosic leads, which were filled with lightning-fast runs that cascaded from his amplifiers like torrential rain.

"He could take a riff that would take somebody a year to master and he could rip it off in seconds," added Slipknot's Corey Taylor. "He made everything look like he was playing 'Smoke on the Water' with one finger."

Abbott's musical abilities playing were matched only by his outsized personality, which, as much as anything, resembled that of a professional wrestler. In 1999, when I was an editor at Guitar magazine, he agreed to an interview for a cover story — but he had some very clear and specific conditions. He wanted a fifth of Seagrams 7, two six-packs of Coors Light and a six-pack of Coca-Cola before he'd talk to me. And if the cans weren't cold, he'd walk. Once his terms were met, he was as cooperative and enthusiastic as a kid in sex-ed class, and gave me an interview that was colorful, funny and revealing.

It's important to note that Abbott wasn't being a jerk with those requests; he was just being Dime. He cherished being a rock star, was always "on," and lived to have a raucous good time. And he always made sure everyone around him was as pumped up, comfortable and/or inebriated as he was.

"He's the type of guy that would do anything for his friends," Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian said. "He really did put his family and his friends first, and for him everyone was his family. Once you came into contact with Dimebag and became friends with that guy, it was a sacred bond. Once you shared drinks with that guy, you became a part of his extended family."

Dime's adopted family included Dallas group Drowning Pool, just one of several bands the guitarist embraced and helped out by taking on tour and plugging in interviews. "Darrell inspired our lives and how we carried ourselves, not just as musicians out on the road but also as friends in everyday life," the band said in a statement.

"Him and Vinnie were at every show that we did from '99 all the way until the last time I saw him," Slipknot's Taylor said. "Every time we played Dallas and they were in town, they were there, and we would hang out every night."

Abbott was born on August 20, 1966, in Dallas, the son of country & western songwriter and producer Jerry Abbott. From an early age, he watched his dad in the studio, an experience that inspired him to be a musician. "I used to go down there as much as I could to see anybody play any kind of music," he told me in 1999. "I was lucky enough to get to see guys like Bugs Henderson, Jimmy Wallace, all those great Texas blues players."

He started listening to music by Merle Haggard and country maverick David Allen Coe, and as he got older, Abbott discovered ZZ Top and Skynyrd. But it was Kiss, and especially Van Halen, that turned the young Abbott on to rock music. Like Eddie Van Halen, Dime had originally played drums, but his older brother Vinnie showed more aptitude for the instrument, so at age 12, he switched to guitar. He quickly learned Boston's "More Than a Feeling" and Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water," after which his dad taught him some scales and music theory, but he said that his mistakes served him best on his road to musical discovery. "When I tried to play something and screwed up, I'd hear some other note that would come into play," he said. "And then I started moving it around and trying different things to find the beauty in it."

Three months after picking up a guitar, Abbott could already play better than most people who'd been hacking away at it for years. His brother was as much of a natural on drums. After winning several local guitar competitions, Dime and Vinnie formed Pantera with singer Terrence Lee and bassist Rex Brown in 1982. But that incarnation of the band had little in common with the blazing group that later created heavy metal landmarks like 1990's Cowboys From Hell and 1992's A Vulgar Display of Power. At first, Pantera more closely resembled a second-rate Def Leppard or Kiss, and for most of their career, the bandmembers distanced themselves from their first four albums, which were all released when Abbott was in his mid-teens.

The turning point for Pantera came when vocalist Phil Anselmo joined in 1988. His abrasive, hardcore vocal style encouraged the Abbotts to play a more aggressive form of music that had more in common with thrash bands like Metallica and Slayer. Two years later, Pantera were signed to major label Atlantic's Atco Records imprint and released the breakthrough Cowboys From Hell. Pantera toured exhaustively and quickly built a reputation as one of the most exciting live acts on the heavy-music circuit.

Even when Nirvana ushered in the alternative revolution and heavy metal faded from the charts, Pantera continued to thrive through the '90s, releasing uncompromising, uncommercial albums that connected with their dedicated fanbase. At the same time, Abbott was routinely elected as one of the top metal axemen in numerous readers polls, and the band continued to pack 'em in at shows. "People that love this form of music have loved it from way back — Sabbath, Zeppelin, the early days. And we still get those kind of cats coming out to our shows," Abbott said in a 2001 interview with MTV. "Once you're into it, you're into it for a lifetime. And maybe it's not the coolest thing when it comes to what's on top of the charts, but that sh-- that's been on top of the charts — on and off, on and off, a million times — and we're still standing strong. So we'll be here forever. United and hard we f---ing stand."

Pantera reached the end of the line in 2000. After releasing Reinventing the Steel, the band played Ozzfest for the second time, a tour about which Godsmack frontman Sully Erna commented, "I'm just glad we're going on before Pantera — that's a hard act to follow." But while the band remained as tight as ever onstage, offstage a rift was growing ever wider between the Abbott brothers and Anselmo. After two years on indefinite hold and scathing comments from both camps, Pantera officially broke up, and the Abbotts eventually formed Damageplan with singer Patrick Lachman, who'd formerly been a guitarist with ex-Judas Priest singer Rob Halford; he'd become friends with the Abbotts in 2000 during a Dallas tour stop. When Halford rejoined Judas Priest, Lachman was out of a job, and called up Dime. "I said, 'Well, I got the guitars handled,' and he said, 'Dude, I can sing. Let me take a shot at it,' " Abbott recalled in an interview in January. "So, we gave him a couple [tracks] to try, [and] he nailed them, and it was on."

The band's debut album, New Found Power, came out in February of this year, and proved that not only could Dimebag still rip, he also could evolve. In addition to crushing grooves, the record was packed with atmospheric flourishes and a combination of caustic and melodic vocals. Damageplan spent most of this year on tour, and were planning to spend much of 2005 on the road before going back into the studio to record new material.

The mark that Abbott left on heavy music and its community is indelible. He was a stellar player, a true character and an unforgettable friend to many. "He was one of the coolest people I've ever met," said Slipknot's Corey Taylor. "The guy just loved to laugh and he loved to make you laugh. And he loved to make you do something that you would never do in a million years. He was a guy that lived in the moment. His philosophy was, 'Let's do something that is gonna make us remember tonight for the rest of our lives.' And that's something I'm gonna f---ing miss for the rest of mine."

Matt White
12-10-2004, 07:05 AM
ALSO FROM MTV NEWS,COM :

Fans were expected to gather for a vigil Thursday night (December 9) at the Columbus, Ohio, club where Dimebag was gunned down the night before (see "Dimebag Darrell, Four Others Killed In Ohio Concert Shooting"). But as fans mourned, so did the friends and colleagues who had shared the stage and the road with the guitarist. (Click for photos of Dimebag Darrell in concert through the years.)

"He's the type of guy that would do anything for his friends," Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian said. "He really did put his family and his friends first, and for him everyone was his family. Once you came into contact with Dimebag and became friends with that guy, it was a sacred bond. Once you shared drinks with that guy, you became a part of his extended family. ... The world hasn't seen someone with as strong an energy as Dimebag Darrell in my lifetime. He's one of those few people I've met who was absolutely special in every way."

"Dimebag was a dear friend of mine," Ozzy Osbourne said. "I'm absolutely beside myself with grief. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would do this. Pantera toured with me many, many times. I'll always remember the signed guitar that he gave me at my 50th birthday party. My heart goes out to Dime's family, his fans and the other innocent victims who were killed in this senseless tragedy. It's just terribly, terribly sad."

"Darrell and Pantera were one of the main reasons I joined a metal band," Korn frontman Jonathan Davis said. "This is a tragic loss for the music community and to all who knew him. Korn is truly shaken and we want to send our deepest condolences to the families of the deceased."

"I wish to thank and remember Darrell for his amazing life and the gift that he shared with me and so many others," Megadeth leader Dave Mustaine offered via his Web site. "I pray for Darrell's family and friends, specifically for their healing, their peace and their understanding of this tragedy in this time of need. I send my deepest heartfelt condolences to the Abbott family, to Darrell's friends, and to the fantastic Pantera and Damageplan fans around the world. We must never forget his life and his gifts, his genius, his terrific personality, and the legacy he left behind to remember him by."

"We had the pleasure of touring three times with Pantera," Deftones drummer Abe Cunningham said. "They treated us so well on the road. We had some great times hanging out with them. They treated us with open arms, especially the brothers [Dimebag and his brother, Vinnie Paul]. Darrell lived the music. We feel terrible, and our hearts go out to his family, brother and father. He was a legend in this business, and an unbelievable musician. He will be missed by all."

In addition to the peers who rocked alongside Pantera, a legion of young metal lions who were first moved by Dimebag's signature sound weighed in on his inspirational musicianship and spirit (see " 'Dimebag' Darrell Abbott: A Larger-Than-Life Guitarist And Human Being").

"Dime's music was a huge influence on me personally and on Lamb of God as a whole," Mark Morton said. "As a guitar player, he was a true innovator. His sound tone and style shaped modern metal and his riffs are constantly referenced by nearly every band in metal, including my own. Only recently did I have the pleasure of hanging out with him on a personal level, and he was as genuine and down to earth as anyone you would ever meet. This is a huge loss to the music world."

"Dimebag Darrell was one of the nicest and most genuine human beings all of us in Unearth have ever met," vocalist Trevor Phipp said. "His presence, music and most of all his friendship will be dearly missed. Dime loved life, cared about people and was a true rock icon. Everything about him was admirable. Our thoughts and hearts go out to his family and friends."

Matt White
12-10-2004, 10:31 AM
More DIMEBAG, from GUITARWORLD "GUITARLEGENDS":

Matt White
12-10-2004, 11:42 AM
DIME & ZAKK:

Interview where they discuss a drunken idea to get EVH to record a ALL GUITAR record with them. ZAKK goes so far as to rapidly calling EVH in the middle of the night(ZAKK is LOADED!), and gets him on the phone. EVH confesses that he is not able to make a commitment. SHOCKER!!!

Matt White
12-10-2004, 12:07 PM
SHITE!

Matt White
12-10-2004, 12:19 PM
From the DEAN guitars site:

As I sit here awake at 2:34 am, feeling numb beyond belief to the news that our good friend Darrell Abbott is no longer with us, I would like to share my thoughts as they come to mind.

I met Darrell when he was only a kid, not old enough to get into the clubs for which he would later grace the stages throughout his impressive career. This kid was great at 16 years old and destined to become the Idol we now know as Dimebag Darrell.

Darrell became the true persona of a Rock Star. He personified and exemplified the Rock life …he lived it 24/7. It is the Dimebag Darrells that make this industry we all are so emotionally attached to "bigger than life." He truly knew his role...after all; he was also Rock's biggest fan. He grew up with the dream and had what it takes to put it all together.

Anyone who ever met Dimebag Darrell will tell you, they were touched for life. He treated his fans like royalty, as he knew what it was like to be a kid at a concert and seeing your idol onstage…he wanted to give it all back. When Darrell was off stage, he was always aware of whom he was and the effect he had on his fans. People who knew him will tell you that behind the persona of Dimebag Darrell was a guy who was kind, loyal,

sentimental, full of emotion, full of life, charismatic and extremely talented. Darrell was an artist not only with a guitar but also with a pen. When I would meet with him, he would show up with a file folder full of drawings of his guitar designs.

Just a few weeks ago I was with Darrell at a show in Milwaukee . Backstage after the show 2 kids were waiting at the stage door and would not leave without seeing Darrell. When he got wind of this he insisted they be brought back to meet him. These kids were so in awe to meet their idol, then Darrell rocked their world when he put them on the VIP list for the Chicago show the very next day.

Darrell was one of Rock's greatest guitarists. He took metal to whole new level and showed young rockers how the instrument was to be played. He made young kids all over the world want to pick up a guitar and play like Dime! He potentially inspired more kids to play guitar than any artist in recent history.

On a personal note, words cannot express the loss I am feeling. Of all the stars I have met in the past 28 years, nobody touched me like Darrell. He was the artist who would bring me on stage and introduce me as the world's greatest guitar maker. He was a fan of mine as I was a fan of him. No single artist has done more for the popularity of Dean Guitars than Dimebag Darrell.

These past months working with Darrell on new guitar designs, talking to him just about every day have been the most invigorating times in my 28-year career. Seeing Dime onstage with a Dean in his hands again brought back feelings I thought were gone forever. Just yesterday I was on the phone with him discussing the photo shoot we had set up for the show in Michigan on Friday to introduce his new Razorback design. He started talking about how he couldn't wait to get home in a few days to work on the new Damageplan CD. He said this new CD was going to be heavier than ever and blow people's minds.

I cannot help but think about Rita. She and Darrell had been together since they were in 3rd grade. I have worked very closely with her these past months as she handles all of Dimes affairs. She is truly the woman behind the man and Dimebag would have told you, he wouldn't have been Dimebag without Rita. She is one very special person and I cannot fathom the pain she must be feeling. Our deepest sympathy goes out to his brother Vinnie and the rest of his family. Our hearts go out as well to the other victims of this horrible tragedy.

Darrell was a living legend. He lived every day of his life to the fullest. I will always remember his smile onstage. He loved what he did and it showed. No matter how big the crowd, he could always find you and fling a guitar pick your way. We at Dean have lost a great artist but more importantly, a true friend. The world has lost a great human being.

++ Dean B. Zelinsky

Brett
12-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Some nice words there. God this is so fucking senseless and sad.

Snow Ho
12-10-2004, 03:31 PM
agreed brett. i'm still in too much in shock to really post anything.

RIP dimebag :(

ELVIS
12-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Very nice Matt...

Thanks!

:elvis:

scorpioboy33
12-10-2004, 08:25 PM
RIP Dime

PHOENIX
12-10-2004, 10:35 PM
This thread deserves to be stickied.

Figs
12-10-2004, 10:48 PM
I loved the sound he got out of his guitar; the tone and power.

Bill Lumbergh
12-10-2004, 11:09 PM
Great stuff Matt. I still cant believe this.........

Flash Bastard
12-10-2004, 11:09 PM
Excellent thread Matt. Thank you.

Matt White
12-11-2004, 12:18 AM
ROTH on people!!!

This, from Metallica.com

RIP DARRELL
12/9/2004

This is unbelievable. To sit here and talk about Darrell in the past tense seems so wrong, so unfair, so unjust, I don't even know what to say. My heart goes out to Vinnie, to their families, to the other band members, and to the families and friends of the other people that were killed or injured, in this fucking senseless act of selfishness and stupidity.
In 1985 I was fortunate enough to meet both Darrell and his brother in Dallas on tour. The first thing me and my friend did as soon as that tour was over, was to head straight back to Dallas and hang out with Darrell and Vinnie for a long time, cuz they were the coolest muther fuckers that we had met after criss-crossing the states for three months. That was the beginning of a friendship that was anchored in love, respect, fun, outrageousness, music, booze, sweat, late nights, early mornings, hangovers, headaches, pounding eardrums, sore bodies... the list goes on.

There's a tendency in these fucked up moments to use the word "I" a lot and focus on one's own feelings of pity and shock... so instead let it just be known that thru these eyes Darrell was incredibly warm, open, fun, nutty, forthcoming, talented, embracing, unpretentious, accommodating and he always had a very attractive innocence about him that obviously made him never threatening and always welcoming.

Darrell and his brother were the cornerstone of musical adventures that were always groundbreaking, pushing boundaries, challenging to themselves and to their fans, respected by their peers and always true musicians' musicians, and today the rock world is worse off because of this untimely and senseless waste.

Much love and respect and thanks for letting me be a small part of your life and I know you are already having fun and throwing it down with Bon Scott, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Jimi, Cliff B., and the rest of the musicians and troublemakers that you are hanging with so prematurely.

Lars

Matt White
12-11-2004, 12:21 AM
From ANTHRAX.COM

By Charlie B. & SCOTT IAN

WHY??????

Dimebag brought the life out of everyone he met, why would anyone take his????

My phone has been ringing off the hook, everyone asking if it was true?

I didn't want to accept the reality, HOW COULD DARRELL BE GONE?

I just saw him! and just listened to the message he left me today.

I loved him, he was a true Friend. The phone calls in the middle of the night , talking about this and that. Playing KINGS X or KISS licks over the phone. I remember this one time we were both going through these anxiety attacks. I never had them, nor did he. We were talking about how we stopped them. I quit drinking alcohol and coffee and he said that he started drinking MORE ALCOHOL! HAHAHA, that was him. I had some great times with him, he always put you in a good mood, DAMMIT! What the fuck is wrong with people?? How the fuck does someone get into a club with a loaded gun, HOW?? WHY??

I thought for a minute about this - John Lennon was murdered the same way on the same DAY, some strange coincidence? (sorry, I'm delirious right now)

This guy didn't wait till after the show , he did it on stage. How fucking horrific. All those people freaking out, watching this happen. This will change things for the music world. It won't be the same vibe at shows... this is scary.

Dime was special, those who knew him would attest to that....

My heart goes out to Vinnie and Rita as well as the others who were injured.

Go play your PANTERA CDs or your Damage Plan CD.

Remember him for his music and his guitar playing, he was the best!

I love you Bro', I'll miss your face.
Give him a double.
whewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

cryin' and sobbin' - CB

I am devastated as I'm sure we all are.
All I can convey at this moment are my condolences to Rita and Vinnie and the whole family.
My heart is with you.

Love,
Scott

PS - I'm stunned. I don't have words for this. My logical brain keeps trying to make sense of it. It's just horrible. Humanity is an oxymoron.

Matt White
12-11-2004, 12:31 AM
Some photos:

Matt White
12-11-2004, 12:44 AM
The Dimebag Darrell Memorial Fund

NationalNoise would like to send out condolences to the friends and family of Damage Plan. There has been a fund setup for the victims of this tragedy to cover bereavement and medical expenses. The Dimebag Darrell Memorial Fund will be accepting donations throught NationnalNoise until further notice. Please make checks payable to "The Dimebag Darrell Memorial Fund". Send Donations to the mail only
address: NationalNoise, 3100 Main .105, Dallas TX 75226

12/10/04

VINNIE PAUL, DAMAGEPLAN issue statements about DIMEBAG tragedy

Two days after Dimebag Darrell was shot and killed onstage, his brother and bandmate Vinnie Paul has issued a statement to the press. Like many of Dime's friends, Paul said that the guitarist will be remembered for his playing, but missed most for his giving personality.

"With all his greatness and accomplishments on the guitar, DIME will be missed more for his giving personality, charisma, caring for others, love and most of all his HEART!! Twice as big as the state of TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!" the statement read. "DIME gave it all everyday to each and every one of us and our lives have forever been hollowed without him...

"Thanks to all of you for reaching out to us in this time of our immeasurable loss. REST IN PEACE BROTHER DIME!!!!!!"

Matt White
12-11-2004, 01:50 AM
From Washburn.com:

On behalf of Washburn Guitars, Randall Amplifiers and U.S. Music Corp., we wish to express our deepest sympathies to the family & friends of Dimebag Darrell Abbott. We are profoundly saddened by the news of his tragic passing.

For over a decade, Darrell was a member of the Washburn, Randall and U.S. Music Corp. family and always proved to be a man of great character and exceptional talent. You could always count on Dime to be the life of the party. Darrell’s friendship, humor and brilliant music will be sorely missed by all.

Matt White
12-11-2004, 11:19 AM
From GUITARWORLD.COM:

It is with great sorrow and a sense of personal loss that Guitar World magazine has learned of the tragic death of Dimebag Darrell, lead guitarist with Damageplan and one of the most influential hard rock musicians of his generation. Guitar World had a close association with Dimebag since his earliest days with Pantera, the heavy metal band with whom he established himself as a hero to hundreds of thousands of guitar players.

"We featured Darrell on our cover way back in 1993," recalled editor in chief Brad Tolinski, "and from the start we had a special relationship." That closeness led not only to six more cover features over the years—including the March 2004 issue, which named him one of the Ten Greatest Metal Guitarists of All Time—but a long-running and extraordinarily popular instructional column by Dimebag himself.

"He was a great guitarist and a great guy, as well," said Guitar World contributing editor Nick Bowcott, who worked with Dime on his column and ultimately became a close friend. "He was as serious about the teaching as he was about his own playing, and he took great satisfaction in knowing that he was able to influence younger players in such a direct way."

Tolinski, who often met with Darrell, recalled the guitarist's outsized personality. "His fans knew him as an enthusiastic, hilarious guy with a long red Pharaoh's beard, wild tattoos and extreme guitars, and there was nothing contrived about that image," said the editor. "The only thing about himself that he took very seriously was his music, his guitar playing."

Guitar World expressed its condolences to Dimebag's father, Jerry Abbott, a longtime Texas musician, and Vinnie Paul, Dime's brother who played drums in both Pantera and Damageplan. Tolinski announced that the magazine would publish a tribute issue in Darrell's memory in March 2005, as well as an issue of its Guitar Legends series, on sale Feb. 8.

"Our readers will never forget Dimebag Darrell,"said Tolinski, "and neither will we."

Matt White
12-11-2004, 11:25 AM
FROM GUITARPLAYER.COM:

Guitar Player Remembers Dimebag Darrell
Announcement from Guitar Player

December 9, 2004

San Mateo, CA - The staff at Guitar Player offers its deepest condolences to the family, friends, and fans of Dimebag Darrell Abbott. Guitar Player would like to take this opportunity to reflect on the influence Dimebag had on the guitar industry.

"To use his own words, Dimebag Darrell's style was 'The Full Meal Deal,'" said Guitar Player Associate Editor, Darrin Fox. "In a metal world dominated by rhythm-guitar simpletons and lead-guitar neophytes, Dimebag did it all with punishing riffs and whacked-out shred solos, harkening back to the glory days of metal when players such as Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen cultivated highly personal styles by covering all of the bases. Dimebag was one of the first players to popularize the DigiTech Whammy pedal, which influenced bands such as Korn and Rage Against the Machine, and his bludgeoning 'scooped mid' rhythm tone has become the defacto sound for a generation of metal guitarists. Like every great guitar hero, Dimebag deftly merged his influences with his own musical personality and vision, only to emerge with an instantly identifiable style."

On the heels of the 24th anniversary of the murder of John Lennon, the loss of Dimebag is especially poignant. Wednesday night, Dec. 8, a gunman attacked the stage at the Alarosa Villa nightclub in Columbus, Ohio, shooting and killing guitarist Dimebag, 38. Dimebag was one of heavy metals most notorious and skilled guitar players, having played a long tenure in the seminal speed-metal band Pantera, and most recently, Damageplan.

Guitar Player, the world's No. 1 guitar magazine, also announces that in honor of the influence Dimebag Darrell had on guitar playing, they are placing him on the cover of the February 2005 issue of Guitar Player to further honor his memory and his contribution in the evolution of guitar playing. The February issue goes on sale January 11, 2005. "Dimebag was a wildman, but he was also incredibly sweet and supportive to his fans," said Guitar Player Editor in Chief Michael Molenda. "The he was the victim of such violence while he was onstage giving his all to an audience is ironic, sad, and senseless."

Matt White
12-12-2004, 03:06 AM
Tributes from ROLLINGSTONE.COM:

Friends Remember Dimebag

Artists from Anthrax to Korn reflect on slain Damageplan guitarist

"Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, known for his ferocious guitar riffs, was also "larger than life" to his friends, who remember him as both hard-partying and a "gentle spirit."
Soon after Abbott's band Damageplan began playing their gig at the Alrosa Villa club Wednesday night, a gunman charged the stage and shot him before turning his gun on the audience. Abbott and three others were killed before a patrol officer was able to fatally shot the attacker.

Abbott, 38, was formerly a member of Texas thrash metal giants Pantera, whose longtime lineup also included singer Phil Anselmo, bassist Rex Brown and drummer (and Abbott's brother) Vinnie Paul. 1990's Cowboys From Hell and 1992's Vulgar Display of Power -- with its classic metal tracks "Walk" and "Mouth for War" -- put them at the heart of heavy metal, peaking when their 1994 album, Far Beyond Driven, debuted at Number One. Not long after Pantera's breakup, Abbott and Paul formed Damageplan in early 2003, along with singer Patrick Lachman and bassist Bob Zilla. Their debut album, New Found Power, was released last February.

Abbott's friends and peers talked to Rolling Stone about the thrash metal legend.

Scott Ian of Anthrax

He was larger than life. He used to call me "the action figure" because of how I move around onstage, and I used to tell him he stepped right out of a comic book. He was just so full of energy and such a strong presence. [As a musician], he had everything -- just his originality, the riffs he wrote, his tone and what he did with his guitar. He didn't sound like anybody before him, and nobody could come close to duplicating what he did. That's the best thing you could say about any musician . . . I'm still kind of stunned. It's hard for me to believe that this is how his life ended. I don't know if I'm ready to accept the fact that I'm not gonna go to see him play live and have him obnoxiously shoving drinks down my throat.

Dave Mustaine of Megadeth

I knew him by wanting to play with him. We had Pantera open for Megadeth in the U.S. and in Europe. When you get to the level of guitar playing that I'm at and that he was at, the air is pretty thin up there . . . Darrell was a really gentle spirit and pretty easygoing guy. Society is looking at this and saying, "This is heavy metal." That's not heavy metal, that's a random act.

Zakk Wylde of Ozzy Osbourne

He was beyond beautiful. When he'd walk in the room, he'd light it up. Fuck the guitar playing -- he's right up there with Eddie and Randy and Hendrix. All he wanted to do was make everyone happy. He was the ray of sunshine. Dime will never die ever -- he's in my veins. He's sitting at God's tavern, having a cold one with Randy Rhoads and Hendrix. Dime was an original.

Jonathan Davis of Korn

In the Eighties, honestly, I was more into dance music, New Romantic music like Depeche Mode. Vulgar Display of Power totally opened my eyes to a more traditional kind of metal. That made me go, "I want to be in a band like this. This is the shit." I really became a huge fan of Pantera, especially with what Darrell did. I'll never forget that trademark fucking flying "V" guitar of his and his crazy, dyed fucking goatee and insane, undeniable riffs that he wrote that have been copied I don't know how many fucking times. He was one of the last great, traditional metal guitarists of our day. He was just a legend. It seems like all the great guitar players get taken early.

I remember when Fieldy took me my first Pantera concert, back in '92, '93. We both started breaking out crying because it was so fucking insane, so intense. You just get goose bumps, how badass that shit is . . . I feel numb that that shit can even happen. The metal community is such a tight community, everyone is just feeling it. I feel so fucking bad for his brother because those two were inseparable. I could tell Darrell was so full of fucking life and such a cool guy -- he was just the life of the party. He knew how to live life to its fullest, took everything in excess and just made life bigger than it is. The guy was so fucking cool.

ROLLING STONE
(Posted Dec 10, 2004)

Matt White
12-12-2004, 10:18 AM
From SPIN.COM:

Ozzy, Dave Mustaine, Jonathan Davis Remember Dimebag

Those he toured with and those he inspired struggle to come to grips with their loss.

by Robert Mancini

Dimebag Darrell (file) (Photo: Elektra)

In the wake of the bizarre and tragic shooting that claimed the life of Pantera/ Damageplan guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott on Wednesday, friends and fans were coming to terms with the loss and remembering Dimebag as a man whose musical prowess
was exceeded only by his love of life.

Fans were expected to gather for a vigil Thursday night (December 9) at the Columbus, Ohio, club where Dimebag was gunned down the night before (see "Hundreds Of Fans Gather At Club Honor Dimebag Darrell" and "Dimebag Darrell, Four Others Killed In Ohio Concert Shooting"). But as fans mourned, so did the friends and colleagues who had shared the stage and the road with the guitarist.

"Bottom line: You've got Jimi Hendrix, you've got Eddie Van Halen, you've got Randy Rhoads and you've got Dimebag Darrell," guitarist Zakk Wylde said. "His influence will be felt forever. And he was the most genuine, kindest guy you ever met. Dime would give you the shirt off his back. The good Lord put him down here to whoop some ass and make everybody happy, and now He needed him, so He took him. I'm sitting in Dime's garage right now — I'm down here to take care of his family, to keep everybody together — and I'm waiting for him to walk through the door. I'm looking at pictures of him on the wall, pictures of us hanging together, and it just crushes me inside. I've never had a brother, but he was as close to blood as possible. My love for him is unconditional and beyond forever."

"He's the type of guy that would do anything for his friends," Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian said. "He really did put his family and his friends first, and for him everyone was his family. Once you came into contact with Dimebag and became friends with that guy, it was a sacred bond. Once you shared drinks with that guy, you became a part of his extended family. ... The world hasn't seen someone with as strong an energy as Dimebag Darrell in my lifetime. He's one of those few people I've met who was absolutely special in every way."

"Dimebag was a dear friend of mine," Ozzy Osbourne said. "I'm absolutely beside myself with grief. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would do this. Pantera toured with me many, many times. I'll always remember the signed guitar that he gave me at my 50th birthday party. My heart goes out to Dime's family, his fans and the other innocent victims who were killed in this senseless tragedy. It's just terribly, terribly sad."

"Darrell and Pantera were one of the main reasons I joined a metal band," Korn frontman Jonathan Davis said. "This is a tragic loss for the music community and to all who knew him. Korn is truly shaken and we want to send our deepest condolences to the families of the deceased."

"I wish to thank and remember Darrell for his amazing life and the gift that he shared with me and so many others," Megadeth leader Dave Mustaine offered via his Web site. "I pray for Darrell's family and friends, specifically for their healing, their peace and their understanding of this tragedy in this time of need. I send my deepest heartfelt condolences to the Abbott family, to Darrell's friends, and to the fantastic Pantera and Damageplan fans around the world. We must never forget his life and his gifts, his genius, his terrific personality, and the legacy he left behind to remember him by."

"We had the pleasure of touring three times with Pantera," Deftones drummer Abe Cunningham said. "They treated us so well on the road. We had some great times hanging out with them. They treated us with open arms, especially the brothers [Dimebag and his brother, Vinnie Paul]. Darrell lived the music. We feel terrible, and our hearts go out to his family, brother and father. He was a legend in this business, and an unbelievable musician. He will be missed by all."

"I think a lot of people know him as this amazing guitar player that you have on your wall or you try to emulate his style, but there are only a select few people that were let into his world and know how genuine and how down to earth he was," Puddle of Mudd guitarist Paul Phillips said. "For that caliber of a guitar player to be that down to earth is so refreshing. He has every reason in the world to be like, 'Get away from me, kid. You don't know how to play.' He's not that guy. You were just instantly friends with him. It's amazing."

In addition to the peers who rocked alongside Pantera, a legion of young metal lions who were first moved by Dimebag's signature sound weighed in on his inspirational musicianship and spirit (see " 'Dimebag' Darrell Abbott: A Larger-Than-Life Guitarist And Human Being").

"Dime's music was a huge influence on me personally and on Lamb of God as a whole," Mark Morton said. "As a guitar player, he was a true innovator. His sound tone and style shaped modern metal and his riffs are constantly referenced by nearly every band in metal, including my own. Only recently did I have the pleasure of hanging out with him on a personal level, and he was as genuine and down to earth as anyone you would ever meet. This is a huge loss to the music world."

"Dimebag Darrell was one of the nicest and most genuine human beings all of us in Unearth have ever met," vocalist Trevor Phipp said. "His presence, music and most of all his friendship will be dearly missed. Dime loved life, cared about people and was a true rock icon. Everything about him was admirable. Our thoughts and hearts go out to his family and friends."

[This story was updated at 7:28 p.m. ET on 12.10.2004]

This report is provided by MTV News

Matt White
12-12-2004, 10:50 AM
April 1994 GUITAR WORLD:

Matt White
12-14-2004, 09:36 AM
Spring 2004 Washburn ad:

Matt White
12-14-2004, 09:45 AM
DAMAGEPLAN spring 2004:

Matt White
12-14-2004, 10:23 AM
The Abbott Bros, 1996 Korg ad:

Matt White
12-14-2004, 11:35 AM
GUITARWORLD March 2004:

Poll: 100 Greatest Metal Guitarist

1.) Tony Iommi
2.) Hammett & Hetfield
3.) Angus & Malcolm Young
4.) Randy Rhoads
5.) EVH
6.) Jimmy Page
7.) DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT
8.) Zakk Wylde
9.) Adam Jones
10.) Kerry King & Jeff Hanneman

#7) Dimebag Darrell
"In the early Nineties, when thrash metal seemed in danger of dying out, Pantera stepped into the breach and kept the American thrash flag flying. At the forefront of the band's attack was Dimebag Darrell, who channeled his youthful love of KISS and VAN HALEN into some of the decade's most inventive--and most imitated--riffs and runs. The fact that he single-handedly managed to repopularize those freaky-shaped Washburn guitars speaks to the breadth of Dime's influence and popularity."

lucky wilbury
12-14-2004, 03:37 PM
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1494797/20041213/pantera.jhtml?headlines=true

Dimebag Memorial To Take Place In Arlington, Texas, On Tuesday
12.13.2004 5:22 PM EST

Fans are invited to service at the Arlington Convention Center on Tuesday night.

A fan takes part in the candlelight vigil to honor Dimebag Darrell outside the Alrosa Villa on Thursday

Fans will be able to pay their respects to Damageplan/ Pantera guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott on Tuesday night during a public memorial service.

The service will take place at the Arlington Convention Center at 1200 Ballpark Way in

Arlington, Texas, on Tuesday night. Doors will open at 8 p.m.; the service will start at 9 and continue until midnight, according to a venue spokesperson. The hall has a 5,000-person capacity, but fans are advised to arrive early; fans are asked to bring an unwrapped toy, which will be distributed by a charity organization. It is not yet known who will speak at the service, but Abbott's family is expected to attend.

Tuesday's funeral for Abbott, 38 — who was slain onstage Wednesday during a Damageplan show at the Alrosa Villa in Columbus, Ohio (see "Dimebag Darrell, Four Others Killed In Ohio Concert Shooting") — will be a private family affair. The Abbott family has requested that no details of the time or place of the burial be released.

Concertgoer Nathan Bray was buried on Saturday. The 23-year-old Columbus-area native was shot while attempting to perform CPR on Abbott. Club security guard Erin Halk, 29, was scheduled to be buried Monday (December 13) in Clintonville, Ohio. Funeral arrangements for Damageplan bodyguard Jeff "Mayhem" Thompson were unknown at press time.

DLR_EngineRoom
12-14-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
:( From MTV NEWS: DIMEBAG REMEMBERED.

Anselmo Spokesman Make Statements About Dimebag Murder

12-11-04
(antiMUSIC) "J" who appears to be the webmaster for the official Pantera and Down sites posted a message to the Down message board with a brief statement from Pantera frontman Phil Anselmo about the murder of Dimebag Darrell Wednesday night at the Alrosa Villa night club in Columbus, Ohio.
"J" message is below followed by the official statements from Damageplan and Atlantic Records.

"J" writes: I don't have a big official statement. I do have a lot of inside knowledge on the Pantera feud from Philip's side and tonight he gave me the green light to let everyone else in on what I know. He trusts me to do this, and I take 100% responsibility for anything that is inaccurate, but I'm confident you all know I'm not going to touch on this subject unless it's from the heart. He didn't even give me any specifics except for the final part of this post... he just wants me to tell people what I know to be true.

Philip loved Darrell like a brother, always. They accomplished things together that most wouldn't even dare to dream. None of us can know what it's like to be riding such a big machine, it changes the face of music and brings joy millions of people's lives around the globe. The rewards are big, but the stress is unimaginable if things don't go perfectly. Yes Pantera broke up and there was a lot of shit talking through the media. There are two people on this board (WOLVIE and NGJ) who would periodically ask me about what's going to happen with Pantera in the future. I told them each time that I don't know when, but I'm 100% sure that we will see Pantera together again. I told them that when Pantera does get back together, you will know somebody who never lost faith, not for a second. Why did I tell them this? Because I know Philip loves those guys and when he was ready, he would reach out to them and try to make it work again. I had the feeling that one morning (afternoon maybe), all the CFH boys would just roll out of the rack and say "let's go!".

Of all the time I've spent with Rex and Philip, I never badgered them about Pantera, but the subject did come up every once in a while. As for Rex, he would refer to the state of things simply as "silly nonsense". All I ever got out of Philip was something like "nyaaaa... I just don't feel like sitting down and writing Pantera riffs right now."... and that's it! No crazy accusations, name calling, or carrying on. As a matter of fact, in the middle of all the heat, Philip described Vinnie as "the perfect drummer" and that Vinnie could drum more perfect than a drum machine if he so chose. What he said of Dime, he also repeated tonight. "The best of the best".

It's sad that the media would irritate the situation so much. Countless times, Kate and I would listen in on Phil doing interviews. Always, always, always, the jackals wanted Pantera dirt. Sometimes Philip would give it to them, sometimes he would not. However every single time I was there, he expressed his love for, and wished luck to Vinnie and Dime but that was somehow left out of the final print more times than not. I was at Philip's house a few weeks ago and I informed him that I handle the Official Pantera site now, and he asked me if I talked to Dime. I said "No, when was the last time YOU talked to him?" with a sigh, he said "three years". Not a "fuckin right 3 years" not a "yeah three years and it's gonna be three more"... but the dude was genuinely disappointed about the situation. I could tell... the time to patch things up was drawing near.

There's more I want to share, but it's almost 5AM right now, and I just managed to hold myself together long enough to get that out.

Philip isn't hiding out or waiting for the right moment to speak, he's in Texas right now searching for answers to this tragedy the best he can. There was one thing he asked of me, that I humbly bring to you all:

Darrell my brother. The best of the best.
- Philip H Anselmo

PHOENIX
12-14-2004, 08:58 PM
I'm sure Phil is very shaken up about the whole thing. He must regret not haven spoken to Dimebag in so long.

PHOENIX
12-14-2004, 09:01 PM
I wonder who's gonna play at the Tribute show?

Matt White
12-14-2004, 11:17 PM
It's a shame that the Abbotts & Phill let so much time go by without speaking. Makes the Dave/Van Halen Bros feud seem that much less important. LIVE AND LET LIVE.

Matt White
12-14-2004, 11:18 PM
From SKIDROW.COM:
DIME & Snake Sabo were tight.

Matt White
12-14-2004, 11:46 PM
From roadrunnerrecords.com:

DIMEBAG DARRELL - 12.9.2004
Surely you have all heard the news by now - Dimebag Darrell, amongst unconfirmed others, was shot and killed last night while onstage with Damageplan in Ohio.

Although not a Roadrunner Records artist, Dimebag Darrell had a profound impact as a musician and as a human being on many Roadrunner acts, and employees. Via Pantera, and later Damageplan, he toured with many Roadrunner artists, surely inspired countless songs in Roadrunner's music catalog, and will continue to inspire. All here at Roadrunner are saddened by Dimebag Darrell's untimely death. There is probably no metal fan out there that hasn't rocked out to one of his songs at some point in time. Our thoughts go out to Vinnie, the rest of Damageplan, his family and friends, and all the fans at the show and those hearing the news now for the first time.

Rest In Peace...

Comments from RR Artists are coming in, and will be added to the list below as they come...

"I lost a really good friend on my 31st birthday. Dimebag was the kind of guy you could hang out with for 2 seconds and feel like you knew him your whole life. He made you laugh, made you drink, but most of all made you feel special. I'm really really going to miss him, but the one thing we will always have is his music."

- Corey Taylor, Slipknot

"I don't know a single person who didn't love the music Dime created. I am so thankful for the all of the music he gave us and I am truly upset about this. I immediately broke into tears when I heard the confirmation. Dime's music gave me so much to live for when I was younger and he truly changed the face of metal with his unique style of guitar playing. There isn't a metal band I know that hasn't borrowed a riff or three from him. My heart goes out to the Abbot family, their friends and all of the fans who had to witness this tragedy in Columbus."

- Mark Hunter, Chimaira

"This is insane and this is beyond travesty. This is beyond anything I've ever heard. This shouldn't happen in or outside of the rock and metal community. He will be missed and mourned as a person, as a musician, and as a friend."

- Howard Jones, Killswitch Engage

"Dimebag was one of the most influential musicians in our time. Dime was a legend who really made the world seem that much better. He was a man who helped inspire countless numbers of players, fans, and people in general, including me. It's a terrifying feeling that now at concerts, at the place that we seek our release from the everyday world we want to escape from, our heroes are being murdered. My heart goes out to the Abbott family: Dimebag Darrell Abbott was a man of legendary and heroic status, but before all that, Darrell was and always will be a brother and a son we all mourn today."

- Matt Heafy, Trivium

"It's just upsetting how the world is — the need and the necessity to override the value of life. From my whole (SLIPKNOT) family, I would like to tell . . . Vinnie and everyone else how sorry we are."

- Clown, Slipknot

"Machine Head are devastated by the horrific news. Our deepest sympathy and condolences to the Abbott family, Damageplan and former members of Pantera. Our thoughts are with you all."

- Machine Head

"Music has lost one of the greatest players and a friend and brother in metal. We toured together many times as a matter of fact and Darrell "Dime" and his brother came to our show in Texas. Today I feel empty, like there's nothing we can do to bring him back. All I can do is pray that Darrell is in a better place."

– Max Cavalera, Soulfly

“He will truly be missed. Dime was one of the first people to show Slipknot respect as a band and that meant so much because we all looked up to him. I remember all the good times I was able to spend with him over the years from tearing it up at the Ritz Carlton playing our version of WWF wrestling with Joey (Jordison) and Bobby Tongs to getting drunk with the outlaw at noon. He was there for me when I was going through struggles and problems in my life, always willing to listen and give me good advice. He was a good friend and I will miss him greatly. My condolences go out to Vinnie, Rita and the entire Abbott Family.”

- Paul Grey, Slipknot

"I can't believe that this happened to Darrell. One could never imagine something like this happening at a metal concert. Out of all of the 'rock stars' that I know, he is the last person that deserved that. What a great guitarist and what a 'ham' he was. I am completely devastated. I am at loss of words."

- Trevor Peres, Obituary

"Today is a sad day for music. Life Of Agony are extremely distraught over last night's insane tragedy which took the life of Damageplan's Dimebag Darrell. The band's hearts go out to the Abbott family as well as the entire Damageplan camp. Dime, you will never be forgotten. We are all just speechless over here."

- Life Of Agony

"Dimebag was an excellent musician and a good friend, a fucking great partner in memorable tours. We'll miss him very much. Our condolences to the Abbott family."

- Sepultura

"Dimebag was to me probably the most influencial guitar player of metal since I knew what metal was. I can remember Tommy and I going to every Pantera show that came to town and even sneaking into one at the Paladium years ago by climbing up the side of the building. It saddens me to think that something like this could happen to somebody who did nothing but give to the people of this community. Even after Pantera he continued to bless us with his unique style of playing. His music will live on forever, and may he rest in eternal peace. My respect and condolances go out to Vinnie and his family, the rest of the band & crew, and the families of those who lost someone in this tragic event .
You will be missed but not forgotten."

- Jonny Santos, Spineshank

"I would just like to take this moment to expess my sorrow to all the people that passed away last night. I know Dime was a great influence to alot of people, including myself. He will be missed deeply. I can personally say I had some of the best times touring with Pantera. Music is something that should be shared with all. We never stop to realize how powerful it can be. Dime, thanks for all the fun times we had! This drink's for you! R.I.P."

- Meegs, Pinata/Coal Chamber

Matt White
12-15-2004, 11:00 AM
ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) -- Thousands waited in line in near-freezing temperatures Tuesday night to pay tribute at a memorial service for slain rock star "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott.

Security was tight; guards used screening wands on grieving fans as they arrived for the public mourning of the former guitarist for the heavy metal band Pantera.

Messages such as "RIP Dime" and "Honk, honk for Dimebag, Peace in the after life" were scrawled on cars in the convention center parking lot. A high-pitched guitar solo blared from a pickup.

"A legend died on Wednesday night. I guarantee I'll be telling my kids about this day and the day that he died," said Skyler Smith, 18. "My heart was broken."

Abbott, 38, was shot to death in Columbus, Ohio, while performing with his new band, Damageplan. Three others also were killed before police killed 25-year-old gunman Nathan Gale, described as an obsessed fan.

Fans cheered the arrival of flower arrangements in the shape of guitars and a display with the words "Crown the Moment, Crown Royal," a reference to Abbott's favorite brand of whiskey.

Michael Schaefer, 21, of Garland, and his wife both wore black Pantera concert shirts. "It's still a real shock, the fact that it actually happened and the fact that someone would want to hurt him," Michael Schaefer said.

Rick Cunningham, 48, a former lead singer for the Dallas band "Rage," was among those who waited in the long line for the service -- and one of a few who wore a suit and tie. He said he'd known Abbott for 20 years.

"It's terrible, man. He was the nicest fella you would ever want to meet," he said.

Abbott had formed Damageplan with his brother and drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott; the guitarist lived in nearby Dalworthington Gardens.

Matt White
12-15-2004, 11:03 AM
Zakk Wylde helping out a distraught Edward Van Halen.

Matt White
12-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Mike, Jerry, & Pat perform at memorial. Pantera fans in attendance.

Matt White
12-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Vinnie Paul Abbott at the memorial service.

Matt White
12-15-2004, 11:27 AM
From Metalsludge.com:

The Associated Press is reporting that guitarists Eddie Van Halen and Zakk Wylde delivered profanity-laced tributes at a public memorial service Tuesday night for slain heavy metal guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott.

"I'm here for the same reason as everyone else, to give some love back...," Van Halen told the crowd of several thousand people.

"This guy was full of life. He lived and breathed rock 'n' roll," he said.

Abbott, 38, former guitarist for the band PANTERA, was shot to death last week in Columbus, Ohio, while performing with his new band, DAMAGEPLAN, at the Alrosa Villa nightclub.

Three others were killed before police shot and killed 25-year-old gunman Nathan Gale, described as an obsessed Pantera fan.

Fans began lining up late Tuesday afternoon to get into the memorial at the Arlington Convention Center, and were screened by guards with metal detecting wands.

Wylde and Van Halen shared the stage, downing shots of liquor and talking about their fellow guitarist.

"A whole part of my life is gone," Wylde said. "It's all about family. It's all about God."

The crowd saved its loudest applause for Abbott's brother, drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott, who patted a life-sized cardboard cutout of his brother holding a guitar.

Vinnie Paul Abbott encouraged the crowd to chant his brother's name, saying he hadn't heard it chanted in five days. Abbott said his brother gave everything he had every night and "went down" doing what he loved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt White
12-15-2004, 11:31 AM
DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT :

Photo from metalsludge.com

Figs
12-15-2004, 04:37 PM
m

BlimpyCHIMP™
12-15-2004, 05:01 PM
THAT GUY WAS FUCKIN DREADFUL MUSICALLY

THAT GUY LOOKED FUCKAN AWFUL PUBLICALLY

THAT GUY WILL BE QUICKLY FARTGOTTEN PRIVATELY

BC!!
WAWAZZIS FUKIN NAME, BARFBAG DREARALL?

Matt White
12-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Once again DIME on GUITARWORLD:

Matt White
12-15-2004, 08:17 PM
DAMN!!! HAHA

MAY 2000

Matt White
12-15-2004, 09:32 PM
From MTVNEWS.COM:

Phil speaks:

In response to the killing of Dimebag Darrell, ex-Pantera singer Phil Anselmo has issued a rambling, emotional statement saying he's devastated by what happened, and calling the slain guitarist "the most beautiful person, one of my best friends in the world."

"I love Dimebag Darrell because there was not one mother----er like him," he said. "I love him like a brother loves a brother."

Darrell was shot onstage in Columbus, Ohio, on December 8 during the first song of Damageplan's set. The band's security chief, a club employee and a fan were also killed (see "Dimebag Darrell, Four Others Killed In Ohio Concert Shooting").

Anselmo, who currently fronts the band Superjoint Ritual, expressed his condolences to Dimebag's bandmates, especially his drummer and brother. "Vinnie Paul, my other brother, I'm so sorry," he said. "I'm so sorry to his family. I want to say bless his family, [and] all of his close friends. I wish his family the least grief they could ever have, and I know it's impossible."

The kind words countered comments Anselmo made through the media before Darrell's death. In the cover story of the latest issue of the English magazine Metal Hammer, Anselmo, in an interview conducted long before Darrell's death, called the guitarist "a "shallow, stupid man," and added "he deserves to be beaten severely."

The singer's comments were in response to Darrell's implications that Anselmo was on heroin, and that his singing was suffering as a result. "He would attack me, vocally," Anselmo said in the article. "And just knowing that he was so much smaller than me, I could kill him like a f---in' piece of vapor, you know, he would turn into vapor."

Anselmo planned to attend Darrell's public memorial service Tuesday night in Arlington, Texas, but was told that Darrell's family didn't want him to attend (see "Thousands Gather To Mourn Dimebag Darrell"). "I never got a chance to say goodbye in the right way and it kills me," he said. "I wish to God I could've gone to his funeral, but I have to respect his family's wishes, and they do not want me there. I believe I belong there, but I understand completely, I'm so sorry."

Not only did Darrell's death dash the hopes of a Pantera reunion, Anselmo said the incident has made him question his own career as a musician. "This has changed the entire world, and this is the last you'll be seeing of me for a long time," he said. "I hope you're happy, heavy metal music magazines, media, I hope you're happy. I'm
done."

"I never got a chance to say goodbye in the right way and it kills me. I wish to God I could've gone to his funeral." — Ex-Pantera Frontman Phil Anselmo

Matt White
12-15-2004, 10:50 PM
DIME, GUITARWORLD Jan 2005

Matt White
12-16-2004, 11:05 AM
GUITARWORLD Sept 1998:

100 GREATEST SOLOS---DIME has 3 in the top 100

15.) FLOODS
35.) CEMETARY GATES
57.) WALK

DIME is standing behind EVH & Cobain

Blacklisted
12-16-2004, 07:03 PM
Once again man, great fucking thread bro.

Figs
12-17-2004, 12:44 PM
u

Snow Ho
12-17-2004, 03:14 PM
SHADOWS FALL drummer Jason Bittner has issued the following report from the funeral services and public memorial for slain DAMAGEPLAN/ex-PANTERA guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, which were held on Tuesday (Dec. 14) in Arlington, Texas:

"I have just gotten to my computer today after returning home from Dimebag Darrell Abbott's funeral and I wanted to share what happened there with you all... Some of you were there, but a lot of you weren't so I will try to not paint a morbid picture.

Tuesday, December 14:

6:30 a.m.: I board what appears to be a tuna can with propellers that I pray is going to safely get me to Baltimore

9:30 a.m.: Safely in Baltimore, I board my plane for Dallas.

12:30 p.m.: Arrive in Dallas and then grab cab to the Wyndam Arlington where I will be staying.

1:00 p.m.: Grab my room key, quickly bump into my good friend Charlie Benante who looks like everyone else I'm going to see for the next 12 hours...tired, pale, and bummed. Next I see Shaun from SOIL, who informs me I can cram in their van to go to the services (cool).

1:20 p.m.: Shower and go bother metal's whitest black man Willie Gee (currently MEGADETH's guitar tech) ... who always seems to make me laugh.

2:30 p.m.: Me, Willie, Big Roger and everyone in SOIL head to the funeral home... It is here where anyone and everyone is here to pay their respects and (unfortunately under the circumstances) and say 'Hello.' Everyone's here... DISTURBED, STATIC-X, some of the SLIPKNOT guys (whom after taking with Corey are VERY excited about our upcoming tour, so that rules). TYPE O NEGATIVE guys, Rex [Brown], Pepper Keenan, KITTIE, my buddy Dino (ex-FEAR FACTORY), ALICE IN CHAINS guys... The list is extensive. We finally head into the chapel to the strains of BLACK LABEL SOCIETY being played over the PA system, to find a HEAVILY flowered mass area, with Dime quietly laid out in his KISS coffin!!! Rockin'! As we all try to keep our composure, the services start with Jerry Cantrell and Mike Inez from ALICE IN CHAINS, who come out to play some acoustic ALICE IN CHAINS tunes with another guitar player (whom I didn't know), and Pat from DAMAGEPLAN singing as well... Very beautiful, not a dry eye in the house!! Next was Zakk's speech where he told a very funny story about him and Dime drinking over four bottles of Crown (oh, my liver hurts just thinking about it) one day on Ozzfest, and then the two of them waking up in Zakk's bunk together spooning!!!! Hey, Zakk said it, not me! Next was Charlie Benante's very moving speech, he told some funny stories and just wanted everyone to remember what a great, funny dude Dime was... Lastly was no other than Eddie Van Halen... who had given Rita (Dime's wife, pretty much) his actual old black/yellow Charvel for Dime to be buried with. It was pretty surreal!! So after the service ended, they asked if anyone wanted to view Dime one last time, to do so in an orderly fashion. Since i hadn't been able to make the wake, I wanted to go... so I grabbed Willie and Bo (who was THE HAUNTED's tour manger on this last tour) to go up with me. I was not prepared for what I was about to see. Dime looked fine, but what I then quickly noticed in the corner of his KISS casket was a small autographed splash cymbal that was put in the coffin 2 days prior... it was mine. I had given this to Dime a day before our tour ended as a memento, because he intially asked me for a pair of my sticks, so I went one better. Needless to say, I lost it... I started crying immediately (and I am right now just thinking about it) and tried to quickly walk away but Vinnie called out to me and came over to console me as best as he could, I saw Pat real quick and gave him a hug, but I had to get out. I only knew this man closely for 5 1/2 weeks, but it felt like a lot more than that.

"Outside I ran into Rat, who was one of DAMAGEPLAN's tech's on this last tour, we exchanged hugs and words, but it was nice to see he was still here. Right as we were about to leave I saw our buddy BEST DUDE... otherwise known as 'The Kat', Vinnie's tech. To those who dont know, Kat was shot a few times on that unfortunate night, be looked great in his suit (yeah, imagine that) and he had a drink in his hand and was in good spirits.

5:30 p.m.: Back in the van, first stop, yup you guessed it, THE LIQUOR STORE... Let the buzz begin. We then went to a great seafood restaurant and had a party of about 25 people, shots all over the place, (EVEN WILLIE GEE DRANK 2 SHOTS!) good food, good times and David from DISTURBED paid for all of us! When I thanked him, he said 'It's what Dime woulda done!' 'I got plastic that goes for miles!!' – Dime. Anyways it was nice.

9:00 p.m.: Public memorial service at the Arlington Convention Center, what an event… The highlight was watching Eddie Van Halen taking the mike away from Zakk every time Zakk tried to finish his speech... I couldn't help but think what he might have done if it wasn't one of his heroes!!! Anyways, we had a good time remembering Dime for all the good stuff, and we shed more tears as well.

12:30 a.m. or so we got kicked out of the Convention Center, I do a quick interview with Denise and Juliya for 'Uranium', and then we go back to the hotel bar. By this point I had been paling around with my new comedian buddies Don Jamieson and Jim Flourentine the 'Terrorizing Telemarketers' guys, and some of you may know Jim as 'Bobby Fletcher' and 'Special Ed' from Crank Yankers. Two great dudes, who are big metalheads that brought some laughs at a needed time.

1:30 a.m.: Last call, I cram in a car with Don, Jim, and one of their friends to finish the party out over at Vinnie's house. We arrive, Rita shows us to the bar, and I commence to go talk drum shit with Mike from DROWNING POOL and my good bud Charlie Benante (yes, there IS going to be a reunion tour w/ Joey — shhhh). Jim had to get to the airport so we stayed 'till about 5 or so... but before leaving I talked with Rita (who seems to be doing really well right now) for awhile about the fact that Dime really liked our band, and really had a great time (Vinnie told me the same) on what turned out to be this final run, I told her I was flattered about the cymbal, and she said 'It meant a lot to him' — still in shock over that!! She also said the 'he adored Jon' so that was really nice too!

5:30 a.m.: Drop Jim off at airport and conemplate calling my wife with a 'Special Ed' prank phone call, but we didn't have time. Next time.

6:00 a.m.: Don drops me off at the hotel, I pop in Shaun from SOIL's room for one last beer with him, Dino and Tony from STATIC-X.

10:30 a.m.: Willie frantically knocks on my door 'C'mon Sarge you overslept!')

11:00 a.m.: At the airport with a killer hangover... Worth it for 'The Idol'

"So as I said, if you got this email, there's a reason... Go buy a bottle of Crown Royal, pour a double for you, and one for Dime and knock it back....'GETCHA PULL!!' and light a candle at Xmas for his memory, he's in a better place, and he will be missed.

Matt White
12-18-2004, 01:42 AM
Very Cool Snow....

From DamagePlan.COM:

Tony Iommi
I was absolutely shocked by the news. Dimebag was such a really nice genuine bloke and a great player. He was always very respectful towards me and it was lovely to have him on tour with us. He will be sadly missed.

Rob Halford
Hello everyone. My deepest condolences go out to everyone affected regarding the passing of dimebag. His mucianship was superb and his original style was and will remain an inspiration to players worldwide. His friendship can never be replaced.

I first met Dime in 1991. I was in Toronto preparing for the 'Painkiller' tour. I had MuchMusic TV on and saw this guy talking about metal and wearing a 'British Steel' shirt. From what he was saying and the PANTERA video that aired I knew right away that this man was a guitar god!

" called MuchMusic and spoke to Dime and that night went to a club and hung with the band. We jammed 'Metal Gods'. From that point on, he and the rest of the band became solid friends. My gut feeling was that this band would be huge.

So PANTERA toured with PRIEST all over Europe. Many a night I would stand off stage and watch them tear up city after city leaving everyone stunned by their intense performances. It was a thrill to watch and hear Dime invent and advance with his playing. Soon the world became Panterarised!

Of course, so much has happened since those early times and I feel that it's important now that however we take the turn of events in recent years we all stay true to the same belief that Dimebag had about his love of metal, which was to play your heart out and be real wherever you are! Some things that happen in life make no sense at all, but out of pain comes strength, and I know the metal community will take that strength and use it as an enduring memory for Dimebag.

"Love never dies."

Brian May - QUEEN
We are all gutted to hear of the senseless and tragic death of Dimebag Darrell, who was shot by a 'fan' who climbed on the stage at a show of his new band, DAMAGEPLAN. He was, of course, better known for his great playing in PANTERA.

"PANTERA were, I think, the first band that I and my son Jimmy both got equally excited about. It was Jimmy who first got me to see them. They were a great band, and Dimebag was an innovative and passionate player.

"Great musician. Terrible loss. My respects to him, to his family and friends. Also to those who were killed trying to save him and apprehend the gunman.

"RIP."

Fallon Bowman - KITTIE
I would like to extend my condolences to the Abbott family at this difficult time.

"PANTERA, and especially Dimebag, made sure I had tons o' fun on the Ozzfest tour so I owe them a lot. Not only that, he was just a down-to-earth, nice person.

"It's a sad day for music. I'm sure this weekend everyone will do one shot of Jack Daniel's in his honour.

"RIP, Dime."

Ted Nugent
It was horrible. Darrell was a big fan of mine. He expressed that every time we ever saw each other," said the Nuge, who fondly recalled that PANTERA performed his "Journey to the Center of the Mind" and "Cat Scratch Fever" the last time they played Detroit.

"It's tragic on two dynamic levels," Nugent, an outspoken advocate of sensible gun ownership, added. "Once again, innocence is destroyed, and it's Americans destroying other Americans. This conduct runs wild in this country ... It's not the Taliban doing it. It's Americans."

Mike Mushok - STAIND
I can't believe the news I got last night. Jon called me telling me that Dimebag was shot at a club while they were performing. I couldn't believe it then and I still can't. On behalf of myself and the band I'd like to send our deepest sympathy to Dime's family. What a loss.

"I was lucky enough to be able to hang with Dime on a few occasions and he was a man that loved life and lived it to the fullest. He was an incredible guitar player / musician / human being - a legend who will live on in the awesome music that he made.

"Pour yourself a shot of crown, add a splash of coke and raise your glass in Dime's memory. You'll be missed."

Lemmy - MOTORHEAD
"To Vinnie & all concerned: Man, I am so fuckin sorry. You know I loved Dimebag and I'm about as sorry as you can get. Glad you're OK though. If there's anything you need help with, you got my number somewhere, OK.

"Thinking of you."

Phil Campbell - MOTORHEAD
"I'm so sorry, we'll dedicate the set to Dimebag tonight."

Mikkey Dee - MOTORHEAD
"My deepest sympathy to everyone affected by this tragedy

Marty Friedman - MEGADETH
I knew Darrell from months of touring together. He was a great guitar player, actually much better than was probably necessary to play the kind of music he was playing. Although his image was a wild partying maniac, his playing always was full of class and finesse. As a fellow guitar player, KISS fanatic and basic rock dude just tryin' to make music, I'm sad and shocked by this.

"Why is it so easy for any lunatic to get his hands on a gun??

"RIP, Dime, you will be missed.

Wes Borland - LIMP BIZCUT
We were playing a show in Texas a few years ago and I saw this sweaty, super long-haired, big-bearded, Dimebag Darrell-looking guy come over the barricade right in front of me. 'Holy crap,' I thought, "That IS Dimebag Darrell!!!' I had only met him once before, but I had grown up on PANTERA and was a little star-struck by his presence. He was smiling and looking up at me and jamming out to whatever song we were playing at the moment. The security in the barricade were getting ready to shoo him out from in front of the stage with everyone else, but I stopped them from ushering him out and I stopped playing guitar and I shook his hand. He hung out right in front of me for about four more songs. I couldn't believe it. He was a hero to so many of us. I'm glad I got to have that moment with him. I'll never forget it

CORROSION OF CONFORMITY guitarist/vocalist Pepper Keenan and producer John Custer

"It's tragic, a shame," Keenan said Thursday. "I've known Darrell for years and years. He was a big fan of COC, we toured Australia together with PANTERA. It's just a shame."

"He was one of the defining guitarists of his generation," Custer said. "He was like Eddie Van Halen or Randy Rhoads or Stevie Ray Vaughan, about seven cuts above everybody else. Anybody who puts in the amount of time and devotion to get that good is not ... out there just to mess around with music for a little while before going on to something else. He was a devoted musician and one of the most influential guitarists to come out of that whole decade. And he made records that helped people get through their year. He'll be remembered as one of the best."

Thursday afternoon, CORROSION OF CONFORMITY was gathering at the studio again. But Custer did not think they'd get much work done right away.

"It's hard to get excited about cutting guitar tracks right now," Custer said. "There will definitely be a shroud over things for a while." This is just awful."

Mike Portnoy - DREAM THEATER
Dime was an incredible talent who I've admired since the beginning when we had both just signed to Atco Records. It's been many years since I've hung with him or any of the PANTERA guys - but my memories with him and the guys were always of great fun and filled with crazy drunken insanity.

He lived each and everyday to the fullest. In fact, I never could believe how he could even function (both on and off stage) with the way he partied and lived life. I feel so sorry for Vinnie and the rest of the band and family.Words really cannot describe the heartache I've had all day.This is as tragic and unbelievable as Lennon getting killed.
But this hits home even closer because he was ONE OF US.

ROB ZOMBIE
"I don't know exactly what to write concerning the death of Darrell. This is beyond shocking and horrible. I still can't believe it is true. I got the call from my manager Andy Gould, who, along with Walter O'Brien, used to manage PANTERA and WHITE ZOMBIE.

"During the early ninties WHITE ZOMBIE and PANTERA were constant touring partners and I had the pleasure of watching Darrell perform with PANTERA easily over a hundred times. For those of you who never saw him, he was without a doubt the most dynamic guitartist on the face of the planet. He was truly one of a kind. A legend.

"Off stage, he was a cool, down-to-earth guy with the most bizarre sense of humor ever, half the time I didn't even understand what the hell he was saying. He spoke a language all his own - Dimespeak.

"The last time I saw Darrell was with his brother Vinnie standing in the crowd rocking out at a METALLICA show. I never got a chance to see his new band, but I'm sure he was as amazing as always.

"No one can replace a giant talent like Darrell, he will be missed.

"My heart goes out to Phil, Rex and especially Vinnie."

Wayne Static - STATIC-X
It's taken me several days to gather my thoughts so I could make some sort of statement about Dime. This whole thing is so surreal.

PANTERA changed my life as a musician. Dime has always been my absolute favorite guitarist ever.

STATIC-X did two tours with PANTERA and they were the most memorable tours of my career. Recently I've been very excited that Dime and Vinnie have carried on with DAMAGEPLAN, and I was looking forward to hearing many more great albums from them in the future.

The last show STATIC-X played before entering the recording studio was with DAMAGEPLAN in Florida. After the show, Dime and I, along with his awesome wife Rita, hung out all night and did plenty of drinking.

I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to get to know Dime, along with his bandmates Vinnie, Patrick, and Bobzilla. DAMAGEPLAN, their crew, and their friends are some of the best people I ve ever met. Dime had a huge heart and a pure honesty that made him very cool and unique. He will be missed by everyone."

Mantas - VENOM
"A sad day for the world of Heavy Metal. A great talent taken by a senseless and unnecessary event. Although I never met the guy, I was always a fan of his music and of him as a guitarist, and the world of Heavy Metal guitar will mourn his loss. My thoughts go out to his family and friends at this tragic time. Rest in peace, dude."

Former Dallas Stars defenseman Craig Ludwig
(the Abbott brothers) "weren't just hockey fans, they were friends of the entire team." He added "'Dime' will be missed very much."

Geezer Butler
Dimebag- one of the nicest blokes I have met on the road, one of the greatest musicians to grace our world. Senselessly taken from us by yet another act of gun violence. Rest in peace- thanks for the music and the man."

Cathedral
12-18-2004, 03:12 AM
Pantallica

Cathedral
12-18-2004, 03:17 AM
Dammit, I tried to upload a clip of Jason Newsted jammimg Seek and Destroy with Pantera Live....

File was too big i reckon... :(

Matt White
12-21-2004, 10:30 AM
DIME, GUITARWORLD march 2004:

Matt White
12-21-2004, 10:33 AM
DIME, GUITARWORLD HOLIDAY ISSUE 2004:

Matt White
12-21-2004, 10:47 AM
DIME, GUITARWORLD June 1996:

Matt White
12-21-2004, 10:57 AM
DIME, GUITARONE April 2004:

Matt White
12-24-2004, 11:08 AM
From www.drstrings.com:

Snow Ho
12-28-2004, 12:01 PM
LOL check out this old pic of dime with james hetfield pissing his pants
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/maimon_tom/darrelljames.jpg

Matt White
12-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Hella Kewl SnowHo!!!

Matt White
12-29-2004, 09:41 PM
New DIME Korg ad, GUITAR WORLD Feb 2005:

Matt White
12-29-2004, 09:44 PM
New DIME ad for Krank Amps, GUITAR WORLD Feb 2005:

Matt White
01-04-2005, 11:13 AM
From GuitarOne.com:

Smokin' Riffer

A Private Lesson with Dimebag Darrell

by Dale Turner

For almost two years, Pantera was put on the skids while frontman Phil Anselmo dabbled in side projects Down and Superjoint Ritual. By late 2003 an accumulation of public badmouthing had finally taken its toll: Pantera was put to rest, and Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul's long-rumored new band, Damageplan, was officially declared.

With their recent debut, New Found Power (Elektra), the Abbott brothers not only prove that the pulse of Pantera lives on but also promise to dish out sounds Pantera fans have been denied for years. With Dimebag pulling no punches, an appearance by Slipknot's Corey Taylor (on a track called "Fuck You!"), some guest leads by Zakk Wylde, and Pat Lachman's "powerhouse" pipes, New Found Power provides many mosh-worthy moments.

"I never wanted to quit doing Pantera in the first place," Dime divulges. "I'm just carrying on with what I do best, what I love most, and what the fans miss. When you've been beat down to the ground, and you really reach deep inside and pull from down low, that's when your best shit comes out. I'm real happy with this new stuff." We caught up with Dime to discuss Damageplan and get the lowdown on the licks that have made him a metal legend.

You and Vinnie formed the musical centerpiece of Pantera. Did the creative process change for New Found Power?
Well, when you got two trademark dudes like me and Vinnie playing, you're gonna hear some of the thunder from Pantera. But you gotta keep moving into the future, growing, keeping it fresh. There are plenty of things on this record that would have never been allowed on a Pantera record. [With Pantera] a lot of good shit got thrown in the trash—chucked, canned on the spot. There's none of that now. I forgot how good it feels to create something new. It's all painting the canvas—you start off with nothing but white, throw down on it, and the end result is the final payoff.

Let's examine some of the exotic sounds that pop up in your leads?
That's the "Dime scale"—blues pentatonic/chromatic [laughs]. That's my whole thing, in a nutshell. I'm not a big "scale dude"; I don't know all that shit inside and out. I like that frightening feeling of saying, "I'm stepping out there now—hope this motherfucker lands cool!"

Eddie Van Halen uses a similar frame of reference—hybrid scale types that are hard to explain in terms of basic music theory. I think those weird hybrid scales come together because of what's most comfortable for each player. For me, every finger on my left hand is equal in its own right, but certain combinations work better. My index, middle, and pinky fingers work real good on a long stretch. And my index, middle, and ring fingers seem to be the most comfortable in that little pentatonic or blues scale box.

Can you play some licks using that last finger combination?
Sure. That would go for anything in the standard blues box [Figs. 1–2]. And here's some of the early Dime stuff [Fig. 3]. That first pattern was probably the first lick I ever learned. I started with this old lick [Fig. 4A], then turned into this [Fig. 4B], then to just cookin' it [Fig. 4C]!

I use the index, middle, and ring fingers on "Cowboys from Hell" [Fig. 5]; that's another "Dime hybrid scale." Maybe it's not proper—maybe maybe it's minor, maybe it's major. I call it chromatic, and, fuck it, every note works. Once your fingers start flying, and you can feel the wind coming off your fretboard, you don't go, "That note's wrong!" If it sounds kick-ass, it is kick-ass!

Are there certain runs where you use all four fingers of your left hand?
"Broken" has some of that [Fig. 6]; I do that on quite a few things. Try taking something like this [Fig. 7A], add another note to it [Fig. 7B], then bring more notes in there [Figs. 7C–D]. If you catch yourself playing a lick, and one finger's getting left out, add that finger into the equation and see what it does [Figs. 8–10].

Crazy bends are another aspect of your style. What are some typical ways you push your strings around?
I love grabbing that shit! Take your normal bending, but give it that little extra [Fig. 11]. It makes you hear the fuckin' struggle! It's an emotional thing when you bend it as far as it can go [Fig. 12]. There I tried to "Stevie Ray" it down, vibratoing it as I gradually release the bend.

Another of your trademarks is screaming harmonics with the vibrato bar, like at the end of "Cemetery Gates."
I do those in both the proper whammy bar position and what I call the "back position," where you point the bar toward the tailpiece. It gives you a different kind of control. This one's based on the G string [Fig. 13]—using no pick at all. I'm holding the bar to start with, and I've got my thumb wrapped over the top of the E, A, and D strings, and my little fingers over the B and E strings. My middle finger's on the G string, and I just flick it to make it ring and then drop the bar. While it's down, I touch a harmonic, then let the bar up. You definitely gotta have some kick-ass gain, kick-ass pickups, and your guitar's gotta have good harmonics to really make it happen. You can do it on a pile of shit, but it ain't gonna ring as sweet.

What's your rig consist of these days?
On this new record, I used Randall's "Dimebag" Warhead. I also used Randall Titans and RM4 preamp along with the RG250 power amp. I used my Washburn Dime 3 and Dime Stealth guitars. For all those, I use Seymour Duncan Dimebucker pickups and DR strings. I got the Dime Cry Baby From Hell wah, which is totally cool and adjustable. For a lot of stuff [on the album] I eased off on the amp distortion and used the new Jim Dunlop Dime Distortion. I'm using all sorts of Dunlop stuff, including my Dunlop green picks. But I still use my old MXR Flanger/ Doubler and the Digitech Whammy pedal's a necessity; it's become part of certain songs that wouldn't be the same without it.

Sarge's Little Helper
01-04-2005, 11:13 AM
From GuitarOne.com:

Smokin' Riffer

A Private Lesson with Dimebag Darrell

by Dale Turner

For almost two years, Pantera was put on the skids while frontman Phil Anselmo dabbled in side projects Down and Superjoint Ritual. By late 2003 an accumulation of public badmouthing had finally taken its toll: Pantera was put to rest, and Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul's long-rumored new band, Damageplan, was officially declared.

With their recent debut, New Found Power (Elektra), the Abbott brothers not only prove that the pulse of Pantera lives on but also promise to dish out sounds Pantera fans have been denied for years. With Dimebag pulling no punches, an appearance by Slipknot's Corey Taylor (on a track called "Fuck You!"), some guest leads by Zakk Wylde, and Pat Lachman's "powerhouse" pipes, New Found Power provides many mosh-worthy moments.

"I never wanted to quit doing Pantera in the first place," Dime divulges. "I'm just carrying on with what I do best, what I love most, and what the fans miss. When you've been beat down to the ground, and you really reach deep inside and pull from down low, that's when your best shit comes out. I'm real happy with this new stuff." We caught up with Dime to discuss Damageplan and get the lowdown on the licks that have made him a metal legend.

You and Vinnie formed the musical centerpiece of Pantera. Did the creative process change for New Found Power?
Well, when you got two trademark dudes like me and Vinnie playing, you're gonna hear some of the thunder from Pantera. But you gotta keep moving into the future, growing, keeping it fresh. There are plenty of things on this record that would have never been allowed on a Pantera record. [With Pantera] a lot of good shit got thrown in the trash—chucked, canned on the spot. There's none of that now. I forgot how good it feels to create something new. It's all painting the canvas—you start off with nothing but white, throw down on it, and the end result is the final payoff.

Let's examine some of the exotic sounds that pop up in your leads?
That's the "Dime scale"—blues pentatonic/chromatic [laughs]. That's my whole thing, in a nutshell. I'm not a big "scale dude"; I don't know all that shit inside and out. I like that frightening feeling of saying, "I'm stepping out there now—hope this motherfucker lands cool!"

Eddie Van Halen uses a similar frame of reference—hybrid scale types that are hard to explain in terms of basic music theory. I think those weird hybrid scales come together because of what's most comfortable for each player. For me, every finger on my left hand is equal in its own right, but certain combinations work better. My index, middle, and pinky fingers work real good on a long stretch. And my index, middle, and ring fingers seem to be the most comfortable in that little pentatonic or blues scale box.

Can you play some licks using that last finger combination?
Sure. That would go for anything in the standard blues box [Figs. 1–2]. And here's some of the early Dime stuff [Fig. 3]. That first pattern was probably the first lick I ever learned. I started with this old lick [Fig. 4A], then turned into this [Fig. 4B], then to just cookin' it [Fig. 4C]!

I use the index, middle, and ring fingers on "Cowboys from Hell" [Fig. 5]; that's another "Dime hybrid scale." Maybe it's not proper—maybe maybe it's minor, maybe it's major. I call it chromatic, and, fuck it, every note works. Once your fingers start flying, and you can feel the wind coming off your fretboard, you don't go, "That note's wrong!" If it sounds kick-ass, it is kick-ass!

Are there certain runs where you use all four fingers of your left hand?
"Broken" has some of that [Fig. 6]; I do that on quite a few things. Try taking something like this [Fig. 7A], add another note to it [Fig. 7B], then bring more notes in there [Figs. 7C–D]. If you catch yourself playing a lick, and one finger's getting left out, add that finger into the equation and see what it does [Figs. 8–10].

Crazy bends are another aspect of your style. What are some typical ways you push your strings around?
I love grabbing that shit! Take your normal bending, but give it that little extra [Fig. 11]. It makes you hear the fuckin' struggle! It's an emotional thing when you bend it as far as it can go [Fig. 12]. There I tried to "Stevie Ray" it down, vibratoing it as I gradually release the bend.

Another of your trademarks is screaming harmonics with the vibrato bar, like at the end of "Cemetery Gates."
I do those in both the proper whammy bar position and what I call the "back position," where you point the bar toward the tailpiece. It gives you a different kind of control. This one's based on the G string [Fig. 13]—using no pick at all. I'm holding the bar to start with, and I've got my thumb wrapped over the top of the E, A, and D strings, and my little fingers over the B and E strings. My middle finger's on the G string, and I just flick it to make it ring and then drop the bar. While it's down, I touch a harmonic, then let the bar up. You definitely gotta have some kick-ass gain, kick-ass pickups, and your guitar's gotta have good harmonics to really make it happen. You can do it on a pile of shit, but it ain't gonna ring as sweet.

What's your rig consist of these days?
On this new record, I used Randall's "Dimebag" Warhead. I also used Randall Titans and RM4 preamp along with the RG250 power amp. I used my Washburn Dime 3 and Dime Stealth guitars. For all those, I use Seymour Duncan Dimebucker pickups and DR strings. I got the Dime Cry Baby From Hell wah, which is totally cool and adjustable. For a lot of stuff [on the album] I eased off on the amp distortion and used the new Jim Dunlop Dime Distortion. I'm using all sorts of Dunlop stuff, including my Dunlop green picks. But I still use my old MXR Flanger/ Doubler and the Digitech Whammy pedal's a necessity; it's become part of certain songs that wouldn't be the same without it.

Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.

Matt White
01-04-2005, 11:27 AM
JIMDUNLAP.COM:

Matt White
01-04-2005, 10:51 PM
From GEORGELYNCH.COM:

Thoughts on Dimebag

I remember the first time I met dime was back in the mid 80”s.

Pantera played with Dokken a lot in Texas. There was a chain of hard rock venues called Cardi’s and we would frequently share the stage with Pantera. This was without Phil and they were more of a hair band and Dime wasn’t called “Dime” yet and his playing was more in the VH vein.

I remember him and his band standing right at the front of the stage during our set and rocking out. He was just a skinny kid back then. He went on after us and just tore it up. I knew he was a special player that night. We talked a lot about gear. I remember he really liked the Randall RG-100’s I was using and planned on checking them out.

I’ve run into him a few other times over the years. Lynch Mob did some dates with them in the early 90s and we partied pretty hard. I remember thinking how can he drink this much and still play his ass off like he does.

I saw Dime and Vinnie at the NAMM show last year in Anaheim and they invited my daughter Mariah and I into their limo to listen to their new project, Damageplan. That blew us me away.

I guess there was a lot of bad blood between Phil and the brothers. I wonder if there was any connection between what happened to Dime and that running feud?

Dimebag’s playing was imaginative, soulful and technical. His music was brutal and unrelenting as was the manner in which he died. There’s no use in trying to make sense of the tragedy, just appreciate what he gave us in his life.

Events like this make me long for the good old days when our rock stars just OD’d and slipped away quietly into oblivion.

George Lynch

Matt White
01-05-2005, 10:45 PM
From MTVNEWS.COM:

Disturbed Frontman Felt Compelled To Do Benefit For Dimebag's Family
01.05.2005 6:50 PM EST

David Draiman knew situation was dire when he saw Dimebag's possessions up for auction.
Disturbed's David Fraiman
Photo: Warner Bros./Reprise

Within an hour of the shooting at the Alrosa Villa that left "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and four others dead, Disturbed frontman David Draiman's phone began ringing off the hook. And it didn't stop for almost 24 hours. Right then and there, he knew

"Instead of dwelling on the facts of his death, we're trying to focus on the way he lived." — Disturbed's David Draiman

that something had to be done to pay tribute to his slain friend.

"I started making phone calls the day after I got the news. I knew that something had to be done to honor his memory. But then I was watching TV, and I saw that his family was auctioning off a bunch of his possessions on eBay," Draiman said. "I was like 'Damn, is the situation that dire?' If it had come to that, then I also knew that we had to do something to help his loved ones out."

So Draiman decided to organize a benefit concert for the Dimebag Darrell Memorial Fund, which helps Abbott's family pay funeral expenses. And it wasn't difficult to find acts to fill the bill: Dimebag was a beloved figure in the heavy metal community (see "Ozzy, Dave Mustaine, Jonathan Davis Remember Dimebag").

"We wanted anyone who was close to Dime. And it wasn't a matter of finding the biggest acts we could get. I wanted people who knew him and loved him," Draiman said. "It just turned out that we got some of the biggest acts out there."

Anthrax, Drowning Pool and Soil will join Disturbed onstage February 23 at Chicago's Aragon Ballroom (tickets go on sale Saturday). It promises to be an emotional night, and Draiman wanted the perfect venue, which is why he chose the Aragon. It's a little dark, a little dank and a little dangerous. It's someplace that Dime would've approved of.

"We ended up choosing the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago because that's where I had seen the best Pantera shows," Draiman said. "That's the place that was the stereotypical metal venue. They called it the 'brawlroom.' It's just one big floor, and it's chaos. It's beautiful. And I couldn't think of doing it any other way. We could've brought the show to a bigger building, but it wouldn't have the same vibe."

And the venue won't be the only thing having special significance that night. While most Dimebag tributes have consisted of musicians leaving a shot of liquor onstage in his honor, Draiman promises a more elaborate — though equally touching — memorial.

"There was this story told at the funeral, regarding a guitar [that was made for] Dime, a Washburn that he only played a couple of times, made in the shape of a Crown Royal bottle," Draiman said. "Dime donated it to the Hard Rock in Orlando a few years back. That guitar is going to be flown out to Chicago for the show. And [Disturbed guitarist] Danny [Donegan] is going to play a song with that guitar.

"We're also going to just reminisce about the kind of guy Dime was. There's going to be a video montage, and we'll all do a Pantera and/or Damageplan cover or two," he continued. "It's going to be a night of brotherhood and support. Instead of dwelling on the facts of his death, we're trying to focus on the way he lived."

— James Montgomery

Matt White
01-06-2005, 05:12 PM
REVOLVER magazine, MARCH 2005:

Matt White
01-06-2005, 05:14 PM
From DEAN guitars:

Matt White
01-06-2005, 05:24 PM
From Elektra/Atlantic:

Matt White
01-06-2005, 05:31 PM
From WASHBURN & RANDALL:

Matt White
01-06-2005, 05:35 PM
From KRANK:

Matt White
01-06-2005, 07:41 PM
From PEARL:

Matt White
01-06-2005, 08:08 PM
From DUNLAP:

Matt White
01-12-2005, 09:41 PM
GUITARPLAYER, FEB 2005:

Soul Reaper
01-15-2005, 09:23 AM
From Zakk Wylde.com

http://www.zakkwylde.com/dimezakk.jpg

Northern Girl
01-21-2005, 12:08 AM
DIMEBAG DARRELL: The GUITAR WORLD Tribute - Jan. 20, 2005

Guitar World magazine has issued the following press release regarding the upcoming "Guitar World's Tribute To Fallen Guitar Heroes" March 2005 issue:

"Anyone that reads Guitar World knows Dimebag Darrell was family. He had been featured regularly in Guitar World for more than a decade and appeared in our pages dozens of times. Darrell also contributed a monthly Guitar World column that ran on and off for at least five years. He was more than just a guitarist we admired; he was a part of the fabric of our magazine and someone we called 'brother.'

"While Guitar World mourns Dimebag, the magazine also rejoices at the chance to pay tribute to him and his accomplishments. Guitar World looks back on the life and times of Dimebag Darrell, the original cowboy from hell, whose explosive style and live-wire personality forever changed the face of heavy metal guitar. PLUS: Dimebag meets Eddie Van Halen, a report from Dime's funeral and memorial services, and his last Guitar World interview, which is also included as a part of the issue's supplemental CD-ROM."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=31782

Matt White
01-24-2005, 12:40 AM
GUITARWORLD MARCH 2005:

Matt White
01-24-2005, 12:44 AM
DIME, 17 years old,1983. GW 2005:

Matt White
02-03-2005, 05:49 PM
BLENDER, March 2005

Matt White
02-03-2005, 05:50 PM
BLENDER:

Matt White
02-03-2005, 06:15 PM
GUITARWORLD LEGENDS:

Snow Ho
02-09-2005, 04:05 PM
did anyone see the guitar legends issue yet? dime has david lee roth's crazy from the heat listed as his favorite book.

BARE BONE
02-09-2005, 09:14 PM

loss of fools
02-10-2005, 11:16 AM
last nite dave mustaine dedicated a song to dimebag and was talking about how good he was on guitar which was cool.

Matt White
09-28-2005, 05:50 PM
GUITAR WORLD DEC 2005

Matt White
09-29-2005, 02:20 AM
REALLY EARLY PANTERA

Soul Reaper
09-29-2005, 12:48 PM
oh, the glam!!!

Dimebag will always be remembered....

Soul Reaper
09-29-2005, 12:49 PM
...being forgotten is worse than death....he will NEVER be forgotten....

Big Fat Sammy
09-29-2005, 01:12 PM
That was one sad and weird day...

...my mom called me and woke me up very early in the morning to see if I was ok. All she knew at that time was a guitar player and others were shot down in Columbus the night before. She said it was all over the national news, so I turned on the TV and there it was...the Alrosa just up the street, and Dimebag was dead.

It's so weird because it didn't even register with me, I went back to sleep...it's like it was so unbelievable, I thought I was dreaming.

But I couldn't sleep well...and when I turned the news back on, I remembered some people who were going to go to that show.

I was playing a gig in Columbus that night...and it was such a heavy vibe with people there, everyone was still trying to believe what had just happened...such a shock that something like that would happen so close to home, to someone thats so well known and loved, and to people who just wanted to go out and see a band.

Soul Reaper
09-29-2005, 01:48 PM
I was confused when I found out.....

....I only thought...."Why now?"

Matt White
12-08-2005, 01:33 AM
DEC 8th

A year to the day DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT died at the hands of a deranged fan.....

2006 Revolver PANTERA GRATEST MODERN METAL BAND

NATEDOG001976
12-08-2005, 07:58 AM
Cowboys from hell!!!

Matt White
12-08-2005, 11:15 AM
POWER METAL MOFOS

Matt White
12-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Make sure 'ya CRANK UP some PANTERA & DAMEAGEPLAN today!!!

:rockit2::rockit2::rockit2::rockit2:

Soul Reaper
12-08-2005, 01:13 PM
I've just seen Dimebag sing and play 'Seek and Destroy'....early Pantera, I think....

http://www.deanguitars.com/tiki/

GRATE videos on here....

Hardrock69
12-09-2005, 01:12 PM
VINNIE PAUL's First On-Camera Interview Since DIMEBAG's Death To Air On 'Headbanger's Ball' - Dec. 8, 2005
Former PANTERA/DAMAGEPLAN drummer Vinnie Paul Abott's first on-camera interview since losing his brother, "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, on December 8, 2004 will air on MTV2's "Headbanger's Ball" this weekend as part of a "Dime Tribute" special. The two-hour program will kick off at midnight Saturday and will feature "tons" of PANTERA and DAMAGEPLAN videos, plus clips by some of Dimebag's favorite bands/artists. In addition, a number of musicians will share their thoughts on Dime's life and legacy. HATEBREED frontman Jamey Jasta will host the show.

Soul Reaper
12-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Through the sky you're trailing,
The ship is sailing,
to take you home

What you left behind,
was one of a kind,
you were out of your mind

The cries from the instrument....
...excited....
......enticed....
.........obsessive....

You were like the birth of a new found joy,
your life would end in rage...

Your acsension was tragic,
But your life was full....

Rest in the peace of our love....

Anonymous
12-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Dimebag, one of the gratests...

These fuckers shouldn't be arrested... they should be put to death.

Dangerously insane people have no business being alive.

Cheers! :bottle:

ace diamond
12-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Rock in peace dime!
Getcha pull, brother!!!
:gulp:

Diamondjimi
12-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Thinkin 'bout Dime today. R.I.P.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DVW8tQfYXRc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DVW8tQfYXRc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1GxTHNtn39E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1GxTHNtn39E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RZ1cOQoBfto&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RZ1cOQoBfto&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

kwame k
12-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Jesus, he was killed on the same day as Lennon?

What a waste and senseless killing. So much talent to be taken out by yet another nutjob!

Diamondjimi
12-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Such a shame...

Dime was the EVH of Metal, no doubt. And Lennon? He was John Fuckin Lennon...nuff said!

R.I.P.

jhale667
12-09-2009, 01:00 AM
Such a shame...

Dime was the EVH of Metal, no doubt. And Lennon? He was John Fuckin Lennon...nuff said!

R.I.P.

Well said.

Hardrock69
12-09-2009, 01:51 AM
Aside from my sadness at losing an incredible guitarist and an amazing human being is that the goddamnable fuck who did it was cremated and not buried.

Had he actually had a grave, I personally would have driven to it so I could take a shit on it.

binnie
12-09-2009, 04:35 AM
Five years? Damn.

A true metal legend.

R.I.P

ace diamond
12-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Aside from my sadness at losing an incredible guitarist and an amazing human being is that the goddamnable fuck who did it was cremated and not buried.

Had he actually had a grave, I personally would have driven to it so I could take a shit on it.
hell i would have taken a greyhound bus to piss and shit on it.......and when i was done, take a stick of dynamite and blow up that worthless fucks' headstone. then i would have taken the debris of the headstone
and buried it in the middle of the fucking ocean.

i would love to dig up and exume the coffin and drop it with him in in into the marianis trench along with his headstone remnants.

as it is, i'd like to steal his urn and ashes and put it at the bottom of the marianis trench.
and bury it there.
where no one will ever find it.

right on the brink of the subduction zone.
so that the slow process of plate tectonics will swallow what is left of him down into the earth and eventually ruduce it to nothing in the magma
chambers of the mantle.

same goes for mark david chapman.......we still have a chance to kill him.

what if we weigh him down with that other fucks urn, and a pair of concrete shoes and drop them both in together into the trench......
i think i am on to something here.........rid the world of two bastards with one drop into the deep..........:biggrin:

Diamondjimi
12-08-2010, 12:55 AM
6 years today. Dimes last one...

Getcha Pull !
:gulp:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_FNi5Qc9mck?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0 x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_FNi5Qc9mck?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0 x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

R.I.P.

Diamondjimi
12-08-2010, 12:57 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lTTU4mMdSis?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0 x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lTTU4mMdSis?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0 x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Diamondjimi
12-08-2010, 12:58 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a16-22AIABM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999 999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a16-22AIABM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999 999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Diamondjimi
12-08-2010, 01:11 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xvhwc1QySMo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0 x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xvhwc1QySMo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0 x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ashstralia
12-08-2010, 04:13 AM
a drink for you dime. r.i.p.

also get to have one every august 20th, as i share the great man's birthday.:beers8::guzzle::bottle::gulp::guitar::st oned-smiley: