• DLR'sCock
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Democratic Moral Values

Democratic Moral Values
    By Howard Dean
    t r u t h o u t | Perspective

Monday 13 December 2004

Four years ago, the president won 49 percent of the vote. The Republican Party treated it like it was a mandate, and we let them get away with it. Fifty-one percent is not a mandate either. And this time we're not going to let them get away with it.

Our challenge today is not to re-hash what has happened, but to look forward, to make the Democratic Party a 50-state party again, and most importantly, to win.

The pundits have said that this election was decided on the issue of moral values. I don't believe that. It is a moral value to provide health care. It is a moral value to educate our young people. The sense of community that comes from full participation in our democracy is a moral value. It is a moral value to make sure that we do not leave our own debts to be paid by the next generation. Honesty is a moral value.

If this election had been decided on moral values, Democrats would have won.

It is time for the Democratic Party to start framing the debate about values.

We have to learn to punch our way off the ropes.

We have to set the agenda.

We should not hesitate to call for reform - reform in elections, reform in health care and education, reforms that promote ethical business practices. And, yes, we need to talk about some internal reform in the Democratic Party as well.

Reform is the hallmark of a strong Democratic Party.

Those who stand in the way of reform cannot be the focus of our attention for only four months out of every four years.

Reform is a daily battle.

And we must pursue those reforms with conviction - every day, at all levels, in 50 states.

A little while back, at a fundraiser, a woman came up to me. She identified herself as an evangelical Christian from Texas. I asked her what you are all wondering - why was she supporting me. She said there were two reasons. The first was that she had a child who had poly-cystic kidney disease, and that the illness made it impossible for their family to get health care.

The second thing she said was, "The other reason we're with you is because evangelical Christians are people of deep conviction, and you're a person of deep conviction. I may not agree with you on everything, but what we want more than anything else from our government is that when something happens to our family or something happens to our country - it's that the people in our government act out of deep conviction."

We are what we believe. And the American people know it.

And I believe that over the next two... four... ten years...

Election by election...State by state...Precinct by precinct...Door by door...Vote by vote. . .we're going to take this country back for the people who built it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Howard Dean, former governor of Vermont, is the founder of Democracy for America, a grassroots organization that supports socially progressive and fiscally responsible political candidates.
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Hahahaha...

That's one of the stupidest things I have ever read...

Comment

• aesop
      Commando
      • Oct 2004

I knew this was coming. These Cheese Heads will say or do anything to get elected. It was pointed out on talk radio today how many times Dean said "Pro Life" on Sunday's Meet the Depressed show. That's alright...just flat-out lie all you want. Pull down your pants and take it up the hershey highway. All to be DNC chair. Friggin' unbelievable.
      Yo Yo Yo

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Nov 2004

aesop & ELVIS,

Those are two of the stupidest reactions I have ever seen at the Army. You two are dummer than Warham-sandwich.

Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

President Bush, Vice President Cheney, and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld are all upstanding and pro-life conservatives. How moral!

Comment

• aesop
            Commando
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
            President Bush, Vice President Cheney, and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld are all upstanding and pro-life conservatives. How moral!
            Nick, what the hell does that picture have to do with the INSANE ONE (Deanster) selling his liberal soul to get the DNC chair?
            Yo Yo Yo

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Uh-That has to do with the confused notions of "morality." This thread went off-topic a long time ago.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

How do we know they are not really coming back from Mogadishu?
                “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                  How do we know they are not really coming back from Mogadishu?
                  They aren't anymore. By the way, Bush Sr. sent them there.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

They aren't anymore. By the way, Bush Sr. sent them there.
                    ....and Clinton's strategy got 'em sent home in boxes.
                    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

And we didn't learn a thing.

Comment

• Lou

This was already posted by FORD in the other thread about Dean, that has 150 posts

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Lou
                          This was already posted by FORD in the other thread about Dean, that has 150 posts
                          As usual Lou, you don't make a bit of sense...:confused: I guess that's par-for-the-course at this point!

Comment

• Warham
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
                            aesop & ELVIS,

Those are two of the stupidest reactions I have ever seen at the Army. You two are dummer than Warham-sandwich.

I just figured out who you are.

Welcome back to the Army, BIGBADLOSER.

God, I missed you soo much.

How have you been?

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                              I just figured out who you are.

Welcome back to the Army, BIGBADLOSER.
                              Are you high on Jesus or something?

As usual, you spend all of your time being 100% incorrect.

Try again.

What were the UN sanctions against Iraq supposed to achieve?
                              Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

Working...