PDA

View Full Version : Eddie at Dimebags funeral

David Lee Rocks
12-14-2004, 11:21 PM
just saw on the news, Eddie Van Halen was at Dimebag Darrells funeral today, and he placed his yellow guitar in the casket with Dimebag Darrell, a KISS casket mind you, pretty cool of Eddie.

classicdude
12-14-2004, 11:27 PM
Seriously? A KISS casket? Reminds me of that Drew Carey episode....

David Lee Rocks
12-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by classicdude
Seriously? A KISS casket? Reminds me of that Drew Carey episode....

yes, I heard on the radio today,933the bone, he was buried in a KISS casket, and Gene Simmons was on tv the other day talking about it, must have been what Darrell wanted

ELVIS
12-14-2004, 11:36 PM
Hmmm...

God rest his soul...:(

:elvis:

Halen High
12-14-2004, 11:55 PM
That's good to hear Eddie was present at Dimebag's funeral. Classic Van Halen and Eddie in particular were a huge influence on Dimebag and Pantera. I remember reading an interview in 1996, in which Dimebag was thrilled that Van Hagar was over and in his words "all we need to do now is get the real Van Halen back together". He wanted Pantera to go on the road with them.

Dimebag Darrell
R.I.P.

David Lee Rocks
12-14-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Halen High
That's good to hear Eddie was present at Dimebag's funeral. Classic Van Halen and Eddie in particular were a huge influence on Dimebag and Pantera. I remember reading an interview in 1996, in which Dimebag was thrilled that Van Hagar was over and in his words "all we need to do now is get the real Van Halen back together". He wanted Pantera to go on the road with them.

Dimebag Darrell
R.I.P.

yeah, I remember that interview

Matt White
12-15-2004, 12:01 AM
I remember on the VH1 100 Greatest artist of Heavy Metal, Dime & Vinnie talk about CLASSIC VAN HALEN. Dime dug the 6-pack. They described DAVID LEE ROTH as the GREATEST FRONTMAN of HARD ROCK. The Abbott Brothers are two cool muthas!!! R.I.P. DIME.

Halen High
12-15-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by David Lee Rocks
yeah, I remember that interview

I think it was Metal Edge.

Halen High
12-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
I remember on the VH1 100 Greatest artist of Heavy Metal, Dime & Vinnie talk about CLASSIC VAN HALEN. Dime dug the 6-pack. They described DAVID LEE ROTH as the GREATEST FRONTMAN of HARD ROCK. The Abbott Brothers are two cool muthas!!! R.I.P. DIME.

I can't imagine what his brother is going through. They were very close. Still can't believe it happened.

Yeah, they sure did love Classic Van Halen. I also read a few years back another interview with Dimebag in which he cited Eddie's riff in Light Up the Sky as his all time favourite. If I can find it I'll put it up.

diamondsgirl
12-15-2004, 12:18 AM
Cool of Ed. :cool:

Matt White
12-15-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Halen High
I can't imagine what his brother is going through. They were very close. Still can't believe it happened.

Yeah, they sure did love Classic Van Halen. I also read a few years back another interview with Dimebag in which he cited Eddie's riff in Light Up the Sky as his all time favourite. If I can find it I'll put it up.

Yeah, I 've got two brothers and I couldn't IMAGINE having to watch some FUCKING COCKSUCKER shoot 'em right before my eyes. :mad:

Classy move by EVH to attend the funeral. Let's hope it starts a trend.

DLRdelight!
12-15-2004, 12:47 AM
May he rest in piece

Ally_Kat
12-15-2004, 01:22 AM

Classy move by EVH to attend the funeral. Let's hope it starts a trend.

A trend of what? Attending funerals? :p

Panamark
12-15-2004, 01:26 AM
So what did Ed do at Dave's Dad's funeral ??

Just out of interest....

Coyote
12-15-2004, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
A trend of what? Attending funerals? :p

No, rather a trend for people to place yellow guitars in coffins. :D

Fabulous Shadow
12-15-2004, 03:41 AM
I guess a 23 year old concert goer was shot while trying to give Dimebag CPR. :(

Concertgoer Nathan Bray was buried on Saturday. The 23-year-old Columbus-area native was shot while attempting to perform CPR on Abbott. Club security guard Erin Halk, 29, was scheduled to be buried Monday (December 13) in Clintonville, Ohio. Funeral arrangements for Damageplan bodyguard Jeff "Mayhem" Thompson were unknown at press time.

Knucklebones
12-15-2004, 05:17 AM
KISS Casket and Eddie's guitar. Couldn't have asked for a better funeral myself.

manwiththedogs
12-15-2004, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
I guess a 23 year old concert goer was shot while trying to give Dimebag CPR. :(

Concertgoer Nathan Bray was buried on Saturday. The 23-year-old Columbus-area native was shot while attempting to perform CPR on Abbott. Club security guard Erin Halk, 29, was scheduled to be buried Monday (December 13) in Clintonville, Ohio. Funeral arrangements for Damageplan bodyguard Jeff "Mayhem" Thompson were unknown at press time.

Shot while trying to save another persons life...This story just seems to get sadder with each passing day.

DavidLeeNatra
12-15-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Knucklebones
KISS Casket and Eddie's guitar. Couldn't have asked for a better funeral myself.

I guess gene was at the funeral selling t-shirts and made pre-orders for his caskets...maybe ed already signed up...RIP dimebag

lucky wilbury
12-15-2004, 12:01 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/15/dimebag.memorial.ap/index.html

'Dimebag' memorial draws thousands
Wednesday, December 15, 2004 Posted: 9:45 AM EST (1445 GMT)

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/15/dimebag.memorial.ap/vert.dimebag.jpg
Eddie Van Halen, right, is comforted by Zakk Wylde after speaking at a memorial service for Darrell Abbott on Tuesday in Arlington, Texas.

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) -- Thousands waited in line in near-freezing temperatures Tuesday night to pay tribute at a memorial service for slain rock star "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott.

Security was tight; guards used screening wands on grieving fans as they arrived for the public mourning of the former guitarist for the heavy metal band Pantera.

Messages such as "RIP Dime" and "Honk, honk for Dimebag, Peace in the after life" were scrawled on cars in the convention center parking lot. A high-pitched guitar solo blared from a pickup.

"A legend died on Wednesday night. I guarantee I'll be telling my kids about this day and the day that he died," said Skyler Smith, 18. "My heart was broken."

Abbott, 38, was shot to death in Columbus, Ohio, while performing with his new band, Damageplan. Three others also were killed before police killed 25-year-old gunman Nathan Gale, described as an obsessed fan.

Fans cheered the arrival of flower arrangements in the shape of guitars and a display with the words "Crown the Moment, Crown Royal," a reference to Abbott's favorite brand of whiskey.

Michael Schaefer, 21, of Garland, and his wife both wore black Pantera concert shirts. "It's still a real shock, the fact that it actually happened and the fact that someone would want to hurt him," Michael Schaefer said.

Rick Cunningham, 48, a former lead singer for the Dallas band "Rage," was among those who waited in the long line for the service -- and one of a few who wore a suit and tie. He said he'd known Abbott for 20 years.

"It's terrible, man. He was the nicest fella you would ever want to meet," he said.

Abbott had formed Damageplan with his brother and drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott; the guitarist lived in nearby Dalworthington Gardens.

lucky wilbury
12-15-2004, 12:04 PM
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1494878/20041215/damageplan.jhtml?headlines=true

Thousands Gather To Mourn Dimebag Darrell
12.15.2004 9:49 AM EST

Eddie Van Halen, Jerry Cantrell among those who attended memorial service Tuesday.

Several thousand fans and friends gathered at the Arlington Convention Center in Arlington, Texas, Tuesday night to mourn Damageplan/ Pantera guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott.

The inside of the cavernous convention center was filled with flowers and oversized magazine covers featuring Abbott, according to The Dallas Morning News. Among the musicians on hand to pay tribute were guitarists Zakk Wylde and Eddie Van Halen.

"I'm here for the same reason as everyone else, to give some love back," said Van Halen, who, along with Wylde, reportedly downed shots of booze as he spoke.

"This guy was full of life. He lived and breathed rock and roll." Van Halen held his cell phone up to the microphone and played a profanity-laced message left by an excited Abbott after a concert he played with Van Halen.

"I just wanted to give you a ... call to tell you thank you so ... much, man, for the most awesome, uplifting, euphoric, spiritual rock and roll extravaganza ever," Abbott said in the message to Van Halen, according to reports.

"A whole part of my life is gone," said Wylde, described as red-eyed and visibly upset.

Former Alice in Chains guitarist Jerry Cantrell was among the performers at the event, which also featured tributes from Abbott's ex-Pantera bandmate Rex Brown and the guitarist's brother, Damageplan/ Pantera drummer Vinnie Paul.

Paul took the stage, patted a cardboard cut-out of his brother holding a guitar and encouraged the fans to yell "Dimebag!," according to an Associated Press report. He told the crowd that Abbott gave it his all during every show and "went down" doing what he loved.

A private funeral for Abbott — who was among four people shot and killed during a Damageplan concert at the Alrosa Villa in Columbus, Ohio, on December 8 (see "Dimebag Darrell, Four Others Killed In Ohio Concert Shooting") — was held earlier in the day; Cantrell also reportedly performed at the funeral. Much as they did at a vigil outside Alrosa Villa, fans gathered in the parking lot of the convention center before the memorial to drink beer and crank out Pantera and Damageplan tunes, according to the Morning News report.

"Let us remember his happiness," Nick Bowcott, former guitarist with the metal band Grim Reaper, told the crowd. "He never lost sight of where he came from. He started as a fan, and he was always a fan." The ceremony also featured screenings of music videos and home movies.

Former Pantera vocalist Phil Anselmo — who publicly feuded with Abbott for the past few years and is featured on the cover of the latest issue of Metal Hammer saying that Darrell should be "severely beaten" in an interview conducted before the guitarist's murder — was reportedly barred from the service. Other attendees included former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Inez, ex-Fear Factory guitarist Dino Cazares and Slipknot members Jim Root, Corey Taylor and Paul Gray.

DLR_EngineRoom
12-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
So what did Ed do at Dave's Dad's funeral ??

Just out of interest....

gfb.....Dave's dad didn't pass, he's alive.

metalonmetal
12-15-2004, 10:01 PM
yea, dimebag was a huge fan of early van halen and always praised them.there first 4 cd's (pre cowboys from hell) were more hair metal, def leppard-high n dry era meets classic van halen.. check out song 12 "blunt force trauma" off the damage plan cd and there is one little guitar solo that is lifted from house of pain, or drop dead legs. i can't remember which song, listen to the song and you will definitely hear it. the song itself sounds like the rob halford song "the one i love to hate " off his resurrection cd but that one little part is dimebags tribute to eddie i guess. check it out and see what you think. dimebag was a great guitarist and will be sorely missed. zakk wylde is about the only guitar shredder left in the states. sad but true. and as far as influence goes every guitarist i ever heard mention eddie as an influence always said, early van halen. not too many up and coming guitarists copping licks from van hagar. no offense sammy. rip dimebag.

scottydabodi
12-15-2004, 10:36 PM
Let me see if I got this straight... Eddie Van Halen quit thinking about himself for 5 seconds to actually do something good for someone else? He actually went to Dime's funeral? This is REALLY wierd stuff... Let me guess, Ed was hammered. Dime was buried in a KISS coffin... Man, Simmons will make $$ with ANYTHING... RIP, Dime.

DLR7884
12-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
gfb.....Dave's dad didn't pass, he's alive.

I think Dr. Roth is dead.

DLR7884
I remember reading that somewhere.

guwapo_rocker
12-16-2004, 10:49 AM
Dimebag Killer's Mom: 'I Bought Him That Gun'
12.16.2004 10:11 AM EST

Gale's mother admits he suffered from mental illness.

A week after her son shot and killed Damageplan guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and three others at a Columbus, Ohio, nightclub, Nathan Gale's mother admitted that she gave him the gun he used in the murders.

"When he came home for
Christmas the year he was in the service, I was so proud of that man for cleaning up his life the way he did," Mary Clark told Columbus TV station NBC 4. "And I bought him that gun. I'll never, never be able to live that part down."

Gale, 25, took the stage on December 8 and used the semi-automatic pistol to shoot Abbott and three others at the Alrosa Villa rock club before being gunned down by a police officer after committing what is believed to be the first onstage murder of a rock musician in history (see "Dimebag Darrell, Four Others Killed In Ohio Concert Shooting").

Clark, who said she was close to her son, repeatedly apologized to the victims as she revealed to the station's interviewer that he suffered from paranoid schizophrenia. The diagnosis led to his medical discharge last year from the Marines after serving less than half of his four-year stint. She said she purchased the gun for him before his diagnosis.

"And I still didn't understand the whole thing, but he came home with his medications, and I don't know if he took them or not," Clark said. "I don't know if he was afraid to, or ... ashamed to, or ... didn't believe it himself," Clark said. "I have such remorse for those families, and I am so sorry that they are losing their loved ones. Their sons, brothers, fathers."

While reports have surfaced that Gale once attempted to pass off Pantera lyrics as his own during a band practice with friends several years ago — fuming that he was going to sue the band for attempting to steal his identity — Clark said his fixation on the band reached its height when Gale was a teenager.

During high school, Clark said, "He had it in his head that those were his lyrics. And nobody was going to change his mind." At the time, she chalked the obsession up to some "drug issues" he was having, she said without elaborating. Clark said she tried to convince her son that he was mistaken about the lyrics and he did not mention the band to her again.

"It seemed like he ... he put it out of his mind," Clark said. "It seemed like, OK, everything was better."

She is keeping information about Gale's funeral a secret, but Clark commended Columbus police officer James Niggemeyer for shooting her son and saving the lives of others. Abbott was buried in a private ceremony on Tuesday in his native Texas and a public memorial was held that night, featuring emotional tributes from Eddie Van Halen and Zakk Wylde (see "Thousands Gather To Mourn Dimebag Darrell").

Clark said that she is still looking for clues about what led her son to kill, with one coming from a notebook she found in his apartment. Gale wrote that he felt like he "could not see [his] own thoughts" and about "growing up not knowing my own thoughts. This is what I think paranoid schizophrenia really is."

Police have not yet found a motive for the killings.

Link (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1494943/20041216/damageplan.jhtml?headlines=true)

Matt White
12-16-2004, 12:23 PM
Great. Mom KNEW his was sick, and does NOTHING about trying to get the gun back from him. BRILLIANT. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.

jhale667
12-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Yeah, she wins 'Mom of the Year'....

Carmine
12-16-2004, 12:51 PM
Nice....buy a scitzo a friggin gun!

Blacklisted
12-16-2004, 12:55 PM
Great. Mom KNEW his was sick, and does NOTHING about trying to get the gun back from him. BRILLIANT. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.

I hope she is charged with Criminal Negligence for being so fucking stupid. Metally disordered having a gun is not rocket science to realize that it is ultimately dangerous.

DLR_EngineRoom
12-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
I think Dr. Roth is dead.

DLR7884
I remember reading that somewhere.

No, dunno where you heard that, put it's not true. Dave's dad is alive and well. Last mentioned in Dave's book, but Dave also referred Eddie (when he had cancer) to his dad and his dad's colleagues.

tjvhou812
12-16-2004, 07:25 PM
i dont know how true this is but, i read in a magazine, i think it was guitar world. and they was saying that zakk and dimebag, wanted eddie to do a cd w/them, i dont know how true it is....

did any1 else read that

R.I.P. Dimebag

DavidLeeNatra
12-16-2004, 08:14 PM
No, dunno where you heard that, put it's not true. Dave's dad is alive and well. Last mentioned in Dave's book, but Dave also referred Eddie (when he had cancer) to his dad and his dad's colleagues.

mr. nathan roth passed away this year...

jhale667
12-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by tjvhou812
i dont know how true this is but, i read in a magazine, i think it was guitar world. and they was saying that zakk and dimebag, wanted eddie to do a cd w/them, i dont know how true it is....

did any1 else read that

R.I.P. Dimebag

Yeah, I read that...it was hilarious! They (Dime and Zakk) were boozing during the interview, and talking about calling Ed up harassing him like "Dude, you're DOING a CD with us, and it's gonna kick ass!":D He said Ed was like "What? WHO is this?!?"

DLRDUDE
12-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by scottydabodi
Let me see if I got this straight... Eddie Van Halen quit thinking about himself for 5 seconds to actually do something good for someone else? He actually went to Dime's funeral? This is REALLY wierd stuff... Let me guess, Ed was hammered. Dime was buried in a KISS coffin... Man, Simmons will make $$ with ANYTHING... RIP, Dime.

Unbelievable, thought we could make it through a whole thread without some insensitive jerk talking shit about Eddie, you are a real work

DLR7884
12-17-2004, 10:19 AM

Ummm...Dave's book came out in 1997, do you think it's possible for someone to have passed away in the almost 8 years since then?

Also, Dave referred Ed to his dad's colleagues in 2000....so again I ask you: Is it possible that since the year 2000 the man passed away?

DLR7884
He died earlier this year, I'll look it up for you.

DaveIsKing
12-17-2004, 12:27 PM
I just hope this doesn't give the NANNY STATE another fucking excuse to infringe upon our right to bear arms.

I've never known a gun to jump up and kill anyone. People kill people. Guns are one of many tools used to do so.

RIP Dimebag...you'll forever rock in our hearts.

Nickdfresh
12-17-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by DaveIsKing
I just hope this doesn't give the NANNY STATE another fucking excuse to infringe upon our right to bear arms.

I've never known a gun to jump up and kill anyone. People kill people. Guns are one of many tools used to do so.

Getting POLITICAL now Dave? Shut the fuck up!:D

Roth & Roll
12-17-2004, 06:31 PM
RIP Dimebag.

Yet another senseless tragedy that should have never happened.

It's true that Dimebag and Zakk wanted to do some studio work with Eddie and rumor had it that they had discussed possibly doing a tour in 2005 - something like G-3.

It would have no doubt been great and would have motivated Eddie to come out of the creative funk he's been in for the past 8 years.

Unfortunately we will never know...

tjvhou812
12-17-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Roth & Roll
RIP Dimebag.

Yet another senseless tragedy that should have never happened.

It's true that Dimebag and Zakk wanted to do some studio work with Eddie and rumor had it that they had discussed possibly doing a tour in 2005 - something like G-3.

It would have no doubt been great and would have motivated Eddie to come out of the creative funk he's been in for the past 8 years.

Unfortunately we will never know...

Amen

John Holmes
12-17-2004, 08:44 PM

Very true. However, there's a murderer in each of us. A gun is a fast and easy way to succeed in murder. If Nathan Gale had a bat and hit Dimebag in the head, do you think Dimebag would have died? Probably, but not certainly. If you shot in his head...

Can you see yourself in a point where you'd use a weapon to kill another man?

Think about getting back home and finding someone fucking your wife. Thank god the husbands whose wives I fucked didn't have a weapon around.

I could give out many examples. See the point?

DaveIsKing
12-17-2004, 08:51 PM
But, suppose he'd had a fucking axe or big knife???

See the real point?

John Holmes
12-18-2004, 05:11 AM
But, suppose he'd had a fucking axe or big knife???

See the real point?

Here in Italy, for example, kinfe or gun are similiar in the legislation. You need the same authorization from police to carry them.

Of course the ( many different types and incarnation of ) Mafia, Albanians and other dipshits don't really need a thumbs up from the Police for a license, there's the black market as everywhere else for those guys, but the average Joe or mental bloke can't go in a shop and buy a big Knife. Even those you use for fishing have some limitation. Nobody who was booted by a military corp for mental disorder would have been allowed to buy not even the smallest knife. If he had a gun before and was dropped after would have had his license retired.

The fact is, with a knife it would have been more difficult to kill him, and I think you'll agree with me on that. Dimebag could have escaped the stabs somehow, the singer ( Pat Lachman ) who is a former martial arts trainer could have done something, as well as the security guys. When you have a fucking schizophrenic with a gun in hand and you've just got bare hands, all you can do is run or you're going down.

What I really envy you US guys is the policeman who shot down that crazy motherfucker. He is an hero. In Italy that policeman 100% would have been incarcerated - "you can't do that", for some reason that escapes my comprehension

DavidLeeNatra
12-18-2004, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by John Holmes
What I really envy you US guys is the policeman who shot down that crazy motherfucker. He is an hero. In Italy that policeman 100% would have been incarcerated - "you can't do that", for some reason that escapes my comprehension

same here in germany...that's why criminals often feel superior...you sometimes better shoot first and then ask...

John Holmes
12-18-2004, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
same here in germany...that's why criminals often feel superior...you sometimes better shoot first and then ask...

Both our nations lost the war. And now whenever there's police methods to talk about, there's that stupid guilt for what our police did when it actually was real efficient. Whenever a policeman does his job here, he's a fascist. Personally I'd like to have more fascist policemen and less Albanian Mafia bosses. We're the only country where if you're a Turk you can take a dump on the streets on nobody touches you and as an Italian you get arrested for even thinking about committing a crime.

DavidLeeNatra
12-18-2004, 05:29 AM
Both our nations lost the war. And now whenever there's police methods to talk about, there's that stupid guilt for what our police did when it actually was real efficient. Whenever a policeman does his job here, he's a fascist. Personally I'd like to have more fascist policemen and less Albanian Mafia bosses. We're the only country where if you're a Turk you can take a dump on the streets on nobody touches you and as an Italian you get arrested for even thinking about committing a crime.

there is much truth in that post...but I'd prefer "tough" policemen over "fascist" policemen on a site dedicated to a black man trapped in a jewish body... ;)

John Holmes
12-18-2004, 05:40 AM
there is much truth in that post...but I'd prefer "tough" policemen over "fascist" policemen on a site dedicated to a black man trapped in a jewish body... ;)

LOL... Well, that's true. I just have to add that to the original "fascist doctrine" ( hard to delineate it ), there was no mention of racism. The only racism allowed was against communists. That was introduced later, when the relationship with Hitler became tight. Did you know that in Italy the first people to embrace fascism were the Jews? Now that's what I'd call irony of the destiny.

Don't forget in America, until the sixties, when a black man was found dead, police certificates would have referred to him as "a negro"...

DavidLeeNatra
12-18-2004, 05:53 AM
Don't forget in America, until the sixties, when a black man was found dead, police certificates would have referred to him as "a negro"...

we should not discuss fascism in america here ;)

DavidLeeNatra
12-18-2004, 06:03 AM
we should not discuss fascism in america here ;)

or at least we should invite FORD to join this little discussion :D

Nickdfresh
12-18-2004, 08:26 AM
or at least we should invite FORD to join this little discussion :D

Immediatley go to the Frontline with this discussion! Macht Schnell!:D

There's plenty of fascism to go around!