PDA

View Full Version : Re-Formed Queen to tour in '05

fe_lung
12-15-2004, 04:16 PM
Saw this on Yahoo - must say, I'm not too happy about this!

Rodgers Replaces Freddie Mercury in Queen

1 hour, 13 minutes ago Entertainment - AP Music

By The Associated Press

LONDON - The '70s rock band Queen is planning a tour next year with guitarist-vocalist Paul Rodgers (news) replacing frontman Freddie Mercury (news), who died of AIDS (news - web sites) in 1991.

Details about what would be the first Queen tour since Mercury's death were being worked out, but it could include shows across Europe beginning this spring, the band's spokesman said Wednesday.

Rodgers, from '70s blues band Free, impressed the remaining members of Queen when he joined them for several performances this year.

Rodgers and Queen guitarist Brian May (news) performed Free's hit "All Right Now" at a concert in London to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Fender Stratocaster guitar earlier this year. May and Queen drummer Roger Taylor then asked Rodgers to stand in for Mercury when the band was featured on a British TV channel's music hall of fame program.

In a note on his Web site, May said there had been "amazing chemistry" when he played alongside Rodgers, adding: "It seems blindingly obvious that there was something happening here."

The official Queen Fan Club welcomed the promised tour, even though it wasn't known whether bass player John Deacon, the other member of the band, will join it.

Queen's stadium anthems "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" were played to packed audiences worldwide. During the late 1980s, when the band had to give up touring because of Mercury's illness, Queen reached new fans with recordings such as "The Miracle" and "Innuendo."

___

bighank66
12-15-2004, 04:37 PM
Chemistry or not I just don't see Rodgers hitting those notes like Freddie did.

I just think this is a bad idea.

Fairwrning
12-15-2004, 05:26 PM
I don't see this working too well..kinda like replacing Roth...you just can't do it!!!

BITEYOASS
12-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Dear god! Is Paul Rodgers gonna be in drag singing "I want to break free"?!?! I'd rather see Freddie on a big screen than a replacement.

Leo VanNewhouse
12-15-2004, 05:41 PM
I have some hopes for this to work out, one way or another. Atleast if they role into my town, I will be able to see Brian May live again.

DLR7884
12-15-2004, 05:43 PM
This is gay.

DLR7884
I would never pay to see this mess.

Marlowe01
12-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Although it's not going to be anything anything like playing with Mercury....I'll still pay money to go to see Queen. Paul Rodgers or not. I was never old enough to see them when they were around so I can at least see QUEEN, and not Freddie Mercury. Should be at least decent.

DLR7884
12-15-2004, 06:04 PM
Marlowe--why would you settle to see this crap?

I'm 26 and I never saw Queen live either, but I'd rather just watch footage of Freddie than pay to see the crap they are gonna sell.

Let's put it this way....Queen without Freddie is like VH without Dave.

DLR7884
I won't pay to see either.

Golden AWe
12-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Yup, no one could replace Freddie (not even Sammy Hagar!)

BUT

Those few clips from the charity concert are better than I expected. They're actually amazingly good. Rodgers is singing perfect, he's not trying to imitate Mercury, his doing it with his own raspy style, but IS hitting high notes too.

As long as they call it "Queen with Paul Rodgers" instead of just "Queen" I'll support this 100%.

rob100
12-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Queen were great, Rodgers is great. But they should not call this Queen.

Nickdfresh
12-15-2004, 06:43 PM
I've heard it said that Roger's has one of the most underrated voices in Rock. This could be interesting.

sambo
12-15-2004, 07:32 PM
Tough call, there is only one Freddie, and he was brilliant.

I guess I'd have to hear / see a sample first.. maybe get a hold of one of those clips. A sort of "try before you buy" you might say.

But it's not really Queen.. .is it?

It was sort of like when Jon Stevens (Noiseworks - Aust. band) replaced the late Michael Hutchence in INXS. Jon could sing amazingly and you really couldn't fault his performances, but to me..still calling it INXS automatically made you compare the 2 frontmen, and there was no comparison.

Same deal here I guess.

aesop
12-15-2004, 08:11 PM
I know I would be tempted to go, and still might if they come by...But not as Queen, please. And as a warning, DO NOT WATCH THE LIVE AT WEMBLEY '86 DVD BEFORE YOU GO... Or listen to the Live Aid recordings. That's just not fair. That concert...we'll...there's just not words to describe it. They had the soundtracks for "Highlander" (Still an AMAZING movie) and IRON EAGLE with "A Kind of Magic" and FM was BACK in MO'FKing business!!!! They were coming on strong BIG TIME with the triumphant Live Aid shows and bringing back arena rock in true FM style. Too bad it ended the way it did.

I love Rogers voice, but FM truly paved the way for DLR. HE was the definition of Showman and Frontman. And like Dave, he could write amazing songs. Rogers taking over should be sounding some warning bells to everyone. Kinda like SH joining VH and still calling it VH...

PHOENIX
12-15-2004, 08:25 PM
This thread is in the wrong forum.

Will someone move it to House of Music.

DavidLeeNatra
12-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Queen was my first concert ever in 1982 and it was fucking great...saw them again on their last tour in 1986 and freddie is simply irreplaceable...some tried when they did the FM-tribute and most failed (have to admit that toilet-man george michael did a good job)

I can understand that may and taylor want to play and I'd love to see them live again...but they should not call that queen...then it would be okay for me...

FORD
12-15-2004, 09:11 PM
So then we can assume that John Deacon is at least grounded in reality and is not taking part in this blasphemy?

Paul Rodgers is a great singer - still has the voice he had in Bad Company, which ain't bad considering he's gotta be at least in his late 50's. I'd love to hear him collaborate with Brian May on some original material.

But sing Queen songs? FUCK NO!

It's just wrong. Freddie Mercury IS and always WILL BE Queen :(

Antman
12-15-2004, 09:55 PM
Why bother? That's as absurd as Van Halen replacing David Lee Roth with, oh, I don't Know, Sammy Hagar.

scottydabodi
12-15-2004, 10:41 PM
Paul Rodgers in Queen... Holy fucking shit... Maybe if they toured with George Michael singing.

FORD
12-15-2004, 10:52 PM
All the Van Hagar mentions reminded me of a painful memory I had suppressed for years - the Brian Howe cheese ballad factory that called itself "Bad Company" which was as bad as Van Hagar if not worse.

I know Paul Rodgers hated that shit as much as I did. He really should know better than to fuck around with someone else's band like that asswipe did to his.

rustoffa
12-15-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by FORD
So then we can assume that John Deacon is at least grounded in reality and is not taking part in this blasphemy?

Paul Rodgers is a great singer - still has the voice he had in Bad Company, which ain't bad considering he's gotta be at least in his late 50's. I'd love to hear him collaborate with Brian May on some original material.

But sing Queen songs? FUCK NO!

It's just wrong. Freddie Mercury IS and always WILL BE Queen :(

May writes on his official website, "It really all came about because of the Fender 50th Anniversary gig that I did with Paul Rodgers."

"We were both so amazed at the chemistry that was going on in (Free hit) "All Right Now," that suddenly it seems blindingly obvious that there was something happening here."

Unbelievable....

Panamark
12-16-2004, 01:57 AM
I would have to hear this Paul Rodgers dude sing with Queen before making a judgement.... Freddie is a hard act to follow..

Fabulous Shadow
12-16-2004, 02:04 AM
Actually, Gary Chrone kicks ass on the Queen tracks. Dis any of you see him play with them on the Quessn tribute? He was amazing!

blueturk
12-16-2004, 03:41 AM
This whole trend sucks.You've got bands calling themselves Lynyrd Skynyrd,The Doors,and Thin Lizzy,without Ronnie Van Zant,Jim Morrison,or Phil Lynott.Paul Rodgers? He's one of the greatest singers on the planet in my opinion,but I don't know if the Queen catalogue will sound right with his voice.It would be hard to call this band Queen.

FORD
12-16-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
Actually, Gary Chrone kicks ass on the Queen tracks. Dis any of you see him play with them on the Quessn tribute? He was amazing!

Cherone actually might have been a better fit - at least in 1992. But that was before his throat surgery or whatever it was that made him sound like Sammy Hagar with a bad stomach ache.

But that doesn't change the fact that NOBODY can take Freddie's place - even an acknowledged Mercury worshipper like Cherone.

Carmine
12-16-2004, 10:02 AM
Paul played my cities summer festival in 03. He was really good, doing the Bad Co. stuff as well as his own. I dont know about this....

Golden AWe
12-16-2004, 11:19 AM

Cherone was horrible on "Love of my life". I sing it better...

Matt White
12-16-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
I would have to hear this Paul Rodgers dude sing with Queen before making a judgement.... Freddie is a hard act to follow..

I agree Panamark. Gonna have to hear it first.
But, Paul Rodgers has about the best voice in rock. Went to a show about 4 years ago in the summer in Pontiac Michigan. He sounded EXACTLY like the record, on Bad Co., Free & Firm material. Absolutely amazing singer.

Bill Lumbergh
12-16-2004, 01:42 PM
There are only a handful of rock singers who are irreplaceable........Freddie is one of them.

Carmine
12-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
There are only a handful of rock singers who are irreplaceable........Freddie is one of them.

David Lee Roth is another......but you knew that already!

Mr Badguy
12-16-2004, 05:00 PM
Rodgers is a legend himself don`t forget.

What if they called it "Free" and had May take the late Paul Kossoff`s place and Roger Taylor on drums?

That would be the same kind of thing.

I know, call it "FREE QUEEN".

At least that will get the pooftas queuing at the turnstiles.

PHOENIX
12-16-2004, 05:57 PM
They shouldnt use the name Queen.

DLR7884
12-16-2004, 05:58 PM
No way.

DLR7884
That would be a crime.

LoungeMachine
12-16-2004, 06:52 PM
Please file this under.........

ANYTHING FOR A BUCK

LoungeMachine
12-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
May writes on his official website, "It really all came about because of the Fender 50th Anniversary gig that I did with Paul Rodgers."

"We were both so amazed at the chemistry that was going on in (Free hit) "All Right Now," that suddenly it seems blindingly obvious that there was something happening here."

Unbelievable....

Fan - Fucking - Tastic, Brian

Glad to hear you guys had great chemistry. Wonderful when something"happens"

BUT THAT DOESNT MEAN YOU HAVE TO THEN GO AND SCAM PEOPLE BY CALLING IT QUEEN FOR CHRIST'S FUCKING SAKE.

Make music for the sake of music

Or start a fresh band under a new name

Or do nothing at all but enjoy the moment

BUT WHY ELSE WOULD YOU SLAP THE QUEEN NAME ON IT IF IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT THE FUCKING $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Lame

BITEYOASS
12-16-2004, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't call it Queen. I hope they play both Queen and Bad Company tunes. It would be fun to hear how Brian plays "Shooting Star" on his red special. And if John Deacon doesn't want any part of it, than get Bob Daisey, the genius behind "Blizzard of Ozz".

Top Jimmy
12-16-2004, 11:29 PM
I felt the same as all of you when I first read about this.
Actually....I laughed my ASS off, out loud...at work...

Then I saw the two clips from theV Show in the UK......
All Right Now, and We Will Rock You-We Are The Champions....

I have this to say.....I am a changed man.

This is no money grab.......this is a joyus celebration of a great era in music. Serious shit here..

Paul walks on stage after Brian intros him, and just takes command of the whole thing with a very smooth confidence, and lets out a yell to let you KNOW he is in the driver's seat. Backup singer chicks (who weave FLAWLESSLY in and out of the mix with Rodgers.....extra guitarist...not just paint by numbers...and Paul's rephrasing of the songs to suit his voice is just about the most intelligent, brilliant, and RESPECTFUL interpretations that I have ever heard. Not to mention them jamming on All Right Now, and hearing that opening chord come from Brian fuckin' May was VERY COOL indeed....
Hearing the way he sings the first line of Champions ("I've paid my dues, time after time") gave me serious fucking goose bumps. Fucking BEAUTIFUL singing.

"We'll keep on fighting..." he hit's that note, surprising even himself with his delivery, because right after he hits the high note there at the word '...fighting'...he looks back at the singer-chick whose job it was to cover that note for him, and smiles.....

These guys are having an anniversary soon, and this is a GREAT way (imho) to hit the road, and CELEBRATE the band, and the music, while maintaining respect for Freddie by not trying to BE Freddie....which is IMPOSSIBLE. There is only one Freddie Mercury, period. To get some high-note wanker like the guy from the Darkness, would have been a silly characature of Freddie and the band....This is a WAY better way to go, then finding a clone and being overly literal, THAT would have been the insult.

This is GOOD stuff, people. Open your mind and REALLY listen to it.....Brian is and ALWAYS has been very respectful to the memory of Freddie Mercury, and VERY protective of the image and legacy of Queen....and his heart is in the right place on this one folks. The are not doing this for the cash, but to have one good road trip to celebrate the legacy.....and the picked a great guy to help them do just that..
Having said that....open your mind, and watch this:
http://www.mercuryparadise.com/video/PaulRodgers&Queen-Inductionpart2WWRY&WATC(UKMusicHallOfFame).wmv

and this:
http://www.mercuryparadise.com/video/PaulRodgers&Queen-AlrightNow(UKMusicHallOfFame).wmv

Now...What do you (honestly) think after watching both of those, all the way through?

LoungeMachine
12-16-2004, 11:31 PM
I think THEY SHOULDNT CALL IT QUEEN.

Top Jimmy
12-16-2004, 11:42 PM
there's no way you watched em that fast.....open your mind a little....

Top Jimmy
12-16-2004, 11:44 PM
what if they call it Queen feat. Paul Rodgers?

DLRdelight!
12-17-2004, 01:36 AM
Fred's voice is astonishing to me, i just love the way he sings, im glad i bought those greatest hits cd's

DavidLeeNatra
12-17-2004, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Top Jimmy
what if they call it Queen feat. Paul Rodgers?

I could live with that...and I agree with you, that they always payed many many respect for mercury...

Panamark
12-17-2004, 08:46 AM
I felt the same as all of you when I first read about this.
Actually....I laughed my ASS off, out loud...at work...

Then I saw the two clips from theV Show in the UK......
All Right Now, and We Will Rock You-We Are The Champions....

I have this to say.....I am a changed man.

This is no money grab.......this is a joyus celebration of a great era in music. Serious shit here..

Paul walks on stage after Brian intros him, and just takes command of the whole thing with a very smooth confidence, and lets out a yell to let you KNOW he is in the driver's seat. Backup singer chicks (who weave FLAWLESSLY in and out of the mix with Rodgers.....extra guitarist...not just paint by numbers...and Paul's rephrasing of the songs to suit his voice is just about the most intelligent, brilliant, and RESPECTFUL interpretations that I have ever heard. Not to mention them jamming on All Right Now, and hearing that opening chord come from Brian fuckin' May was VERY COOL indeed....
Hearing the way he sings the first line of Champions ("I've paid my dues, time after time") gave me serious fucking goose bumps. Fucking BEAUTIFUL singing.

"We'll keep on fighting..." he hit's that note, surprising even himself with his delivery, because right after he hits the high note there at the word '...fighting'...he looks back at the singer-chick whose job it was to cover that note for him, and smiles.....

These guys are having an anniversary soon, and this is a GREAT way (imho) to hit the road, and CELEBRATE the band, and the music, while maintaining respect for Freddie by not trying to BE Freddie....which is IMPOSSIBLE. There is only one Freddie Mercury, period. To get some high-note wanker like the guy from the Darkness, would have been a silly characature of Freddie and the band....This is a WAY better way to go, then finding a clone and being overly literal, THAT would have been the insult.

This is GOOD stuff, people. Open your mind and REALLY listen to it.....Brian is and ALWAYS has been very respectful to the memory of Freddie Mercury, and VERY protective of the image and legacy of Queen....and his heart is in the right place on this one folks. The are not doing this for the cash, but to have one good road trip to celebrate the legacy.....and the picked a great guy to help them do just that..
Having said that....open your mind, and watch this:
http://www.mercuryparadise.com/video/PaulRodgers&Queen-Inductionpart2WWRY&WATC(UKMusicHallOfFame).wmv

and this:
http://www.mercuryparadise.com/video/PaulRodgers&Queen-AlrightNow(UKMusicHallOfFame).wmv

Now...What do you (honestly) think after watching both of those, all the way through?

Enjoyed the clips, thanks man ! :)

I could see it working, but then again, I could think of several other singers that would fit well. But Paul Rodgers sounded good..

Figs
12-17-2004, 09:34 AM
The guys at Mercury Army are gonna be pissed!

FORD
12-17-2004, 09:56 AM

Pretty much what I thought before. Rodgers does as well on his own material as he ever did, but his range doesn't work for Queen songs. He didn't even TRY to hit the chorus on "We Are The Champions".

Maybe they should tour as "Free" or "Bad Company" instead?

Atomic_Rob
12-17-2004, 10:00 AM
I must admit, I'm not really a Queen fan. They did have some good songs, everyone knows that. I would go just to see Paul Rogers, would love to hear Bad Company and Free tracks.

Seein as this is a Queen thing, they will probably only play All Right Now, Can't Get Enough and maybe one more.

Where would they play in England? Earls Court? or wait til the summer and do huge out door shows?

Golden AWe
12-17-2004, 01:18 PM
there's no way you watched em that fast.....open your mind a little....

he posted 2 minutes after you...therefore he opened his mouth before his mind...

I could totally live with Queen feat. Paul Rodgers. Besides, Queen continuing was Freddie's wish in the first place. Show must go on...

bighank66
12-17-2004, 05:01 PM
Fuck man Brian May rocks

Makes me miss Freddie...

Diver Down NJ
12-17-2004, 05:44 PM

Deacon has retired from performing as far as I know.

Also, I watched the clips. I actually like All Right Now better. I hate friggin' female backup singers in rock. It almost always detracts.

If Roger Taylor can hold up for a whole tour, I might go see it. He looks like a bloated mess. Brian May will be there, and that is just about reason enough. One of the top 5 rock guitarists, ever.

Also, I don't see this as disrespectful to Freddie in anyway.

DavidLeeNatra
12-17-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Figs
The guys at Mercury Army are gonna be pissed!

guys or gays?

LoungeMachine
12-17-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
he posted 2 minutes after you...therefore he opened his mouth before his mind...

I could totally live with Queen feat. Paul Rodgers. Besides, Queen continuing was Freddie's wish in the first place. Show must go on...

What the fuck ever.....

NO FREDDY............NO QUEEN "REUNION"

I dont give a shit if the fucking vids showed them wheeling out his corpse onstage

GET IT???????????????????

NO FREDDY
NO QUEEN

Think of the Stones going out on the road as The Rolling Stones without Jagger

nuff sed, eh?

Diamondjimi
12-17-2004, 10:06 PM
I think they should definately use a NEW name and play new original material formost. But also pay tribute to their former bands by continuing to perform the old stuff in the live set.
I hope it pans out . Those three could come up with some great music.
Paul Rodgers is heralded as the greatest white blues singer of all time!
Can't say I disagree !

Just DON'T CALL IT QUEEN FOR CHRIST' SAKE !!!!!!!!

aesop
12-17-2004, 10:09 PM
Show must go on...

Now there's FKing tuneage, dude!!! Where's my CD...

The show must go on! Yeah!
The show must go on!
I'll face it with a grin!
I'm never giving in!
On with the show!

I'll top the bill!
I'll overkill!
I have to find the will to carry on!
On with the,
On with the show!

The show must go on........

Golden AWe
12-18-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
What the fuck ever.....

NO FREDDY............NO QUEEN "REUNION"

I dont give a shit if the fucking vids showed them wheeling out his corpse onstage

GET IT???????????????????

NO FREDDY
NO QUEEN

Think of the Stones going out on the road as The Rolling Stones without Jagger

nuff sed, eh?

hahahah

you're a sad, sour bastard

as i mentioned before, it was freddie's will for them to go on so...

however, the music like this was never meant to people like you

chill out, wanker

Golden AWe
12-18-2004, 03:11 AM
btw, the stones should've quit a long time ago...they've become boring when it comes to making albums...a long, long time ago.

Top Jimmy
12-18-2004, 05:14 AM
G.A....YOU are correct, sir.

LoungeMachine
12-18-2004, 07:22 AM
hahahah

you're a sad, sour bastard

as i mentioned before, it was freddie's will for them to go on so...

however, the music like this was never meant to people like you

chill out, wanker

A sad, sour bastard in need of a chill out to calm my wankiness you say?

As you wish...........

LoungeMachine
12-18-2004, 07:38 AM
btw, the stones should've quit a long time ago...they've become boring when it comes to making albums...a long, long time ago.

Good job missing the point.:rolleyes:

indeed

LoungeMachine
12-18-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
They shouldnt use the name Queen.

Well then, according to Golden Showers, that would make you a sad, sour bastard wanker in need of chill

Hows that make you feel there P?

Golden AWe
12-18-2004, 10:09 AM
Well then, according to Golden Showers

I don't think my company has given any official statement about this subject, and besides, it's a registered trademark.

Golden AWe
12-18-2004, 10:13 AM
Good job missing the point.:rolleyes:

indeed

Is Mick Jagger dead?

throatrocket
12-19-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
I agree Panamark. Gonna have to hear it first.
But, Paul Rodgers has about the best voice in rock. Went to a show about 4 years ago in the summer in Pontiac Michigan. He sounded EXACTLY like the record, on Bad Co., Free & Firm material. Absolutely amazing singer.

Right on Matt

Mezro
12-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by scottydabodi
Paul Rodgers in Queen... Holy fucking shit... Maybe if they toured with George Michael singing.

Remember when that rumor went around?

Mezro...I actually think George would be a pretty good fit...

Diver Down NJ
12-19-2004, 03:48 PM
George Michael probably would be good. But it can at least be said that Queen isn't going the route that Journey or Styx did - hiring a total soundalike. That is truly lame.

Seshmeister
12-19-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
This is gay.

But not gay enough...:)

FORD
12-19-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Diver Down NJ
George Michael probably would be good. But it can at least be said that Queen isn't going the route that Journey or Styx did - hiring a total soundalike. That is truly lame.

George Michael is probably a closer match in terms of vocal range and homosexuality, but he's never sang hard rock in his life, so I don't see him fitting with much of the Queen catalog either. I actually thought he did a good job on "Somebody to Love" back in 1992, but that doesn't mean he could pull off "We Will Rock You", "Fat Bottom Girls" and sure as Hell not "Stone Cold Crazy"

Fabulous Shadow
12-20-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Mezro
Remember when that rumor went around?

Mezro...I actually think George would be a pretty good fit...

I agree. George was incredible on the Queen tribute but I still think Extreme was the best of the lot!.

FYI~ Dont buy the Queen tribute on DVD... There are alot of good singers editied out. Including Metallica, Guns 'N Roses, Def Leppard, and...Extreme.

I think it was lame to edit this at all. After all, it's a DVD, people can skip around to what they want to see and pass over what they don't. How these "so called" video editors could cut out the biggest tribute to Freddie, Extremes medley of Queen songs (which is BY FAR the show stealer) and them performing "Love of my Life" w/ Brian May Is just insane! Do yourself a favor, hunt down the VHS copy because without the show stopping performance of Extreme and their melody of Queen tunes this is just an average concert. Whoever is responsible for cutting Extreme out of the final cut should be ashamed of themselves. They need to find a new line of work because evidently they aren't even qualified to edit my home movies..

Rikk
12-21-2004, 12:11 AM
FYI~ Dont buy the Queen tribute on DVD... There are alot of good singers editied out. Including Metallica, Guns 'N Roses, Def Leppard, and...Extreme.

I will respond to this without being insulting or condescending at all!!:)

The reason they decided to cut out the pre-Tribute performances (just the normal bands playing) is because on video, it's actually very hard to get the rights to release various songs with different rights on one DVD release. Things have gotten much stricter with DVD for some reason. I remember ELVIS ALOHA FROM HAWAII was released on DVD with a few songs missing a couple years back. And this was because they couldn't get the rights to all the songs. Getting the rights to Metallica and all the other artists may have been hard, so they stuck just to the Queen catalog. Using just the Extreme performance would have been sort of imbalanced. Anyway, it's mostly a legal thing.

Anyway, I still have the VHS. I won't buy the DVD.

Fabulous Shadow
12-21-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
I will respond to this without being insulting or condescending at all!!:)

The reason they decided to cut out the pre-Tribute performances (just the normal bands playing) is because on video, it's actually very hard to get the rights to release various songs with different rights on one DVD release. Things have gotten much stricter with DVD for some reason. I remember ELVIS ALOHA FROM HAWAII was released on DVD with a few songs missing a couple years back. And this was because they couldn't get the rights to all the songs. Getting the rights to Metallica and all the other artists may have been hard, so they stuck just to the Queen catalog. Using just the Extreme performance would have been sort of imbalanced. Anyway, it's mostly a legal thing.

Anyway, I still have the VHS. I won't buy the DVD.

I understand what you're saying but it doesn't make sense. They were Queen songs... And even if it is now DVD, didn't they already have the rights whrn they released the VHS?

Rikk
12-21-2004, 12:35 AM
I understand what you're saying but it doesn't make sense. They were Queen songs... And even if it is now DVD, didn't they already have the rights whrn they released the VHS?

Yeah, but I think the legal shit has changed the last few years.

Also, if I'm correct, it was mostly the pre-Queen performances they cut, right? The Metallica set of just Metallica songs. The G 'N' R set of G 'N' R songs. Cutting all those sets out, they decided to probably just take EXTREME out too.

I do remember on my VHS copy of that show, they thankfully cut out MORE THAN WORDS. I do agree that Extreme's medley was very good, but I was happy to live without MORE THAN WORDS.

madraoul
12-21-2004, 12:37 AM
Paul Rodgers is a great choice. I think you all have visions of Hagar trying to be Dave here. Mr. Rodgers has never done that. Remember his work with Page in The Firm? No Plant there. Fear not Queen fans! I don't expect to see Paul running around with a horned baseball cap singing Flash.

FORD
12-21-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
Yeah, but I think the legal shit has changed the last few years.

Also, if I'm correct, it was mostly the pre-Queen performances they cut, right? The Metallica set of just Metallica songs. The G 'N' R set of G 'N' R songs. Cutting all those sets out, they decided to probably just take EXTREME out too.

I do remember on my VHS copy of that show, they thankfully cut out MORE THAN WORDS. I do agree that Extreme's medley was very good, but I was happy to live without MORE THAN WORDS.

No doubt the groups involved and/or their labels would have to consent to their appearance on the DVD. Metallica released the audio of their own three song set as a CD single back in 1992/93 with the proceeds going to the charity set up in Freddie's name, so they would no doubt control the rights to those performances. Or their label would. And since Queen left Elektra records for another label, that may be the source of the problem.

Golden AWe
12-21-2004, 11:04 AM
Cherone was horrible on "Love of my life". I sing it better...

Fab must be deaf.

flappo
12-21-2004, 12:32 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/bvsfan1/Queenonline%20Signatures/I_Want_It_All.gif

flappo
12-21-2004, 12:48 PM
gary cherone was awful in vh

but he was even fucking worse at the freddie tribute

god almighty

i taped it live

i actually wiped all his shit off

total fucking garbage

scam failin
12-21-2004, 12:59 PM
rob 100, does paul rodgers look chinese or what?

Fabulous Shadow
12-21-2004, 03:31 PM
No doubt the groups involved and/or their labels would have to consent to their appearance on the DVD. Metallica released the audio of their own three song set as a CD single back in 1992/93 with the proceeds going to the charity set up in Freddie's name, so they would no doubt control the rights to those performances. Or their label would. And since Queen left Elektra records for another label, that may be the source of the problem.

That makes sense... It just sux because I ordered the DVD from AMAzon expecting to get EVERYTHING. I'm sending it back. I already ordered a used VHS off of Ebay.

rob100
12-21-2004, 04:12 PM
I saw Gary Cherone at the tribute in 1992. He was very irritating. There is something about that guy...maybe he's trying too hard. Glad they didn't take a fan like him for the "This-Is -Not-Queen" tour, but they chose a legend like Paul Rodgers, who has got a great style of his own. Unlike Cherone.

It ain't Queen of course. Like with all the great quartets, you can't take one out. Van Halen, Zep, Who, Beatles, Pink Floyd minus Waters.

Golden AWe
12-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by flappo
gary cherone was awful in vh

but he was even fucking worse at the freddie tribute

god almighty

i taped it live

i actually wiped all his shit off

total fucking garbage

i have that on vhs too, i gotta to watch it again soon.

yup, i think the poor bastard was just trying too hard, and he sang totally off-key on "love of my life".

i'm not a fan of metallica, but they did a good job with stone cold crazy

they didn't try to go note-to-note, they made it sound like a metallica song

def leppard was pretty bad too, and roger daltrey was a bit off too, but i didn't mind, he's roger daltrey

elton and axl - what a pair!

bueno bob
12-23-2004, 03:01 AM
Queen reuniting is gay.

;)

DiamondGirl69
12-23-2004, 03:21 AM
Paul Rogers has a booooooooooring voice and the closest thing to Freddie vocal wise is George Michael. Why did they decide not to tour with George? He was perfect for Queen at this stage of their career.

Vivian Campbell
12-24-2004, 03:48 PM
I agree with Golden Awe 100%.

Queen Featuring Rodgers is the best way to treat this tour.

Shaun Ponsonby
01-06-2005, 03:12 PM
I think Freddie Mercury is impossible to replace.I just think he was the perfect frontman-one of the best voices ever, he wrote everything from hard rock (Ogre Battle etc) to disco (Staying Power etc) to Oprea (Barcelona etc). Paul Rodgers has a great voice but he's not Freddie-noone is. They should not call it Queen because it's only half of the band Freddie is dead and bassist John Deacon doesn't even breathe in public anymore. Maybe they should call it 'An evening of Queen music plus featuring Taylor, May and Rodgers'. However, saying that-I will be VERY intersested to hear what they sound like together.

UGS
01-16-2005, 04:09 AM
This doesn't surprise me. Brian May is a great and underrated guitar player, but he is a total whore when it comes to making money off of a dead man's legacy having no integrity in the process- which explains the four or five Queen greatest hits that are out there that all contain basically the same songs. So it doesn't surprise me that he would rather make a quick buck with the new guy rather than pay respect to what was one of the best bands ever and let Queen remain a great memory.

Shaun Ponsonby
01-16-2005, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by UGS
This doesn't surprise me. Brian May is a great and underrated guitar player, but he is a total whore when it comes to making money off of a dead man's legacy having no integrity in the process- which explains the four or five Queen greatest hits that are out there that all contain basically the same songs. So it doesn't surprise me that he would rather make a quick buck with the new guy rather than pay respect to what was one of the best bands ever and let Queen remain a great memory.

Firstly, there are 3 official Queen Greatest Hits albums-each with 17 tracks on them, each of them different, there is also the Queen Rocks compilation which features hard rock album tracks.

Secondly, all the Queen concerts, releases, musicals etc which have come AFTER Freddie's death in 1991 have had ALL proceeds going to AIDs charities. He doesn't make "a quick buck" for himself, he uses Freddie's name to help HIV/AIDS charities, which is probably something Freddie asked him, and the others, to do.

secrets
01-16-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
I think Freddie Mercury is impossible to replace.I just think he was the perfect frontman-one of the best voices ever, he wrote everything from hard rock (Ogre Battle etc) to disco (Staying Power etc) to Oprea (Barcelona etc). Paul Rodgers has a great voice but he's not Freddie-noone is. They should not call it Queen because it's only half of the band Freddie is dead and bassist John Deacon doesn't even breathe in public anymore. Maybe they should call it 'An evening of Queen music plus featuring Taylor, May and Rodgers'. However, saying that-I will be VERY intersested to hear what they sound like together.

I agree. I've seen the new line up they played a few tracks live on TV a few weeks back. Sounded fine, Brian May is still really on form but it's not the same group anymore.
Are they planning to write and record new material?

Shaun Ponsonby
01-17-2005, 04:35 PM
I think that would be more interesting than a tour.

CVHfan
01-28-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by rob100
Queen were great, Rodgers is great. But they should not call this Queen.

I agree 100%. If they have chemistry, they should work together. Play some Queen songs, play some Free songs, play some Bad Co. songs. They are greate musicans. Paul Rogers is a really good singer, but it feels like musical necrophilia.

CVHfan
01-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Plus, I just cannot see Paul Rodgers singing "Bohemian Rhapsody".

Golden AWe
01-29-2005, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by CVHfan
Play some Queen songs, play some Free songs, play some Bad Co. songs.

If you read the whole thread, you'll find out that it's exactly what they're doing.

rob100
01-29-2005, 04:32 AM
But I can imagine him singing Tie Your Mother Down!

rob100
01-29-2005, 04:39 AM
The first gig in Holland sold out in 20 minutes. I couldn't get through. I had a phone connection to the ticketservice one minute before the official presale starting time. When I told the lady I wanted Queen tickets the bitch hung up, because I was one minute too early.

I quess all I can do now is bitching about the fact that it isn't Queen anyway...

I wonder what John Deacon is thinking right now.

Don Corleone
01-29-2005, 06:03 AM
Got my ticket to see them

tomballin
01-29-2005, 10:16 AM
Videos: Queen + Paul Rodgers Live

Here:

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16341

flappo
01-29-2005, 11:32 AM
they sold out in 24 hours

ill wait fer the dvd

personally i think roger taylor is a better singer than paul rodgers , so why bother ?

Jérôme Frenchise
01-30-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by tomballin
Videos: Queen + Paul Rodgers Live

Here:

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16341

So fine stuff, thanx a lot Tomba. Here's one more 5-star vote for you. "All right now" gave me shivers!:cool:

This combination has got to carry on further!:D

DavidLeeNatra
01-30-2005, 07:47 PM
now, that I've seen the vids and as I see how brian may and roger taylor are doing it with paul rodgers I'm at peace with it...the guys want to play and be out there for a couple of gigs...I'm fine with it, 14 years after freddie's death they kept up his legacy and pay all the respect to him he deserves...paul rodgers seems to be relaxed and is no wannabe...

Panamark
01-30-2005, 08:59 PM
I agree with Natras post. Its not like they rushed out and replaced Freddie, after Freddies death. Its been a long time, good luck to
them with their new singer.

rustoffa
01-30-2005, 09:41 PM
I guess the jury's out 'til I see a bit more....

Alot of the stuff would be difficult at best for anyone to try and cover.

I guess hat's off to Rodgers for taking on the nigh-impossible.

It'll be grate to hear Taylor do "I'm in love with my car", etc, regardless.

tomballin
01-31-2005, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
I've seen Queen in 1982 and on their last tour 1986 and they were OUTSTANDING !!! mercury was larger than live frontman and I tink he was the biggest loss when he died in 1991.

now, that I've seen the vids and as I see how brian may and roger taylor are doing it with paul rodgers I'm at peace with it...the guys want to play and be out there for a couple of gigs...I'm fine with it, 14 years after freddie's death they kept up his legacy and pay all the respect to him he deserves...paul rodgers seems to be relaxed and is no wannabe...

Wow impressive 82, 86, cool.

Yeah, I find the UK Music Awards performance very impressive.

Also luckly, Brian and Roger have been well “trained” dealing with massive egos after all their years with Freddie. They can use that experience in having to deal with Rodgers massive ego.

I remember when Rodgers and Bad Company toured with Diamond in ’99, Dave had trouble dealing with the guy and Bad Company sucked on that 99 tour, imo

Now I read Rodgers was the one demanding that he be made a member of Queen, and the other “controlling” members finally had to tell Brian May and Paul, NO!, Rodgers will not perform on this Tour unless the venue are smoke free because it bothers his voice (LOL) and Rodgers refuses to work with the bassist picked for the 05 Queen Tour, so now Brian and Roger Taylor are forced to find another bassist, blah blah.

It will be interesting to see what the final set list looks like.

tomballin
01-31-2005, 05:20 AM
Dave and Paul Rodgers pic touring in 99 together

flappo
01-31-2005, 07:01 AM
really ?

i think roger taylor won't put up with any crap

i don't see this tour lasting very long , taylor will prob get drunk , have a fit and headbutt him

:D

tomballin
01-31-2005, 07:31 AM
really ?

i think roger taylor won't put up with any crap

i don't see this tour lasting very long , taylor will prob get drunk , have a fit and headbutt him

:D

Baaawaaaa

Like Brian May, I like Roger Taylor a lot! Great guy and musician. You’re right, Taylor will call a spade a spade, where May will not many times.

How long the Tour will last, I don’t know………..but I agree with ya and still have reservations if they will make it to the US.

Of course, I didn’t think the Van SpamBoys Tour would make it 80 gigs and it did.

Amazing what musicians will do for $20 - $30 million in their pocket hun……

Vinnie Velvet
01-31-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm a Queen fan.

Although Queen will ALWAYS be: Freddie, Brian, John and Roger, I am interested in hearing what Paul Rodgers would sound like singing some Queen songs.

Although there are songs that just won't play very well with Paul's voice.

I have a problem with Brian and Roger calling themselves "Queen" when they really are just HALF of the original band (Bassist John Deacon does not want any involvement with Queen related stuff anymore).

Then again, what are Brian and Roger to do?? They can't sell themselves without the QUEEN name. Much like Eddie and Alex can't go out without the 'Van Halen' moniker. So, they've been doing side projects such as the Queen musical We Will Rock You and other things.

Does this justify using the name? yes and no. However, Brian and Roger (and John Deacon who apprently has given his blessing--from what I hear) do own the Queen name, songs, catalog, etc.

So it will be interesting to say the least.

I also have the '86 Queen at Wembley Stadium show on DVD.

Pure magic. Just an awesome show.

tomballin
01-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
I'm a Queen fan.

Although Queen will ALWAYS be: Freddie, Brian, John and Roger, I am interested in hearing what Paul Rodgers would sound like singing some Queen songs.

Although there are songs that just won't play very well with Paul's voice.

I have a problem with Brian and Roger calling themselves "Queen" when they really are just HALF of the original band (Bassist John Deacon does not want any involvement with Queen related stuff anymore).

Then again, what are Brian and Roger to do?? They can't sell themselves without the QUEEN name. Much like Eddie and Alex can't go out without the 'Van Halen' moniker. So, they've been doing side projects such as the Queen musical We Will Rock You and other things.

Does this justify using the name? yes and no. However, Brian and Roger (and John Deacon who apprently has given his blessing--from what I hear) do own the Queen name, songs, catalog, etc.

So it will be interesting to say the least.

I also have the '86 Queen at Wembley Stadium show on DVD.

Pure magic. Just an awesome show.

Great Post!!!

>>>I am interested in hearing what Paul Rodgers would sound like singing some Queen songs.

Did you view the videos I posted of Queen + Paul Rodgers Live several months ago? The link is back up the thread, or go to the download sections where I posted the vids.

>>>Does this justify using the name? yes and no. However, Brian and Roger (and John Deacon who apprently has given his blessing--from what I hear) do own the Queen name, songs, catalog, etc.

No actually, Freddie's Estate also own's a 1/4 of QPL, and has a say in everything.

>>Bassist John Deacon does not want any involvement with Queen related stuff anymore

Don't know Deacon, but maybe he's smart, like Johnny Carson was. Go out on the top, and leave it that way. Besides he gets 1/4 of everything Queen makes, so John's not getting hurt on an 05 Tour where he is absent

tomballin
01-31-2005, 12:32 PM
Talking about Roger Taylor calling a spade a spade, I though this was funny in a video interview I recently watched of him.

Roger Taylor discussing Queen Hits:

Radio Ga Ga - "Well I wrote the song, and it was called Radio Ca Ca, but was told no, and to rewrite it, which didn't set well, so I just changed the C to a G and gave it back to my bandmates”.

Bohemian Rhapsody – “Well Brian still has no idea what the song is about to this day (laughs) but actually it's a very simple story in Freddie's head embellished by a bunch of non-sense”.

Shaun Ponsonby
01-31-2005, 01:11 PM
I don't think they should go out with the Queen name. But, having said that-I think the Queen name is still a very popular one, and the only way they will sell tickets is if the Queen name is attatched to the tour title.

Think back to the whole YES fiasco in the late 1980's, when Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe had their 'Evening of Yes Music Plus' tour. ABWH couldn't sell themselves without attatching the Yes name. It's the same here.

However, because Queen were one of the first bands I really loved and they ceased touring before I was even conceived, I have decided that I do want to go.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-31-2005, 02:12 PM

>>Bassist John Deacon does not want any involvement with Queen related stuff anymore

Don't know Deacon, but maybe he's smart, like Johnny Carson was. Go out on the top, and leave it that way. Besides he gets 1/4 of everything Queen makes, so John's not getting hurt on an 05 Tour where he is absent [/B]

John Deacon must have good reasons for not joining. His pockets are so lined he doesn't need to, financially. And he might consider either Freddie Mercury could not, then should not be replaced, or/and he has whatever loathing for Paul Rodgers.

flappo
01-31-2005, 02:51 PM
seems to me that rodgers is a bit of a control freak and the tour will prob end fucking up

i mean , yeah . he's quite a big star , but he's no freddie mercury

in fact he was never in the same fucking league as queen , was he ?

free were ok , bad company had their moments , but it's not like he's in roger daltrey's or robert plant's league

Jérôme Frenchise
01-31-2005, 03:24 PM
seems to me that rodgers is a bit of a control freak and the tour will prob end fucking up

i mean , yeah . he's quite a big star , but he's no freddie mercury

in fact he was never in the same fucking league as queen , was he ?

free were ok , bad company had their moments , but it's not like he's in roger daltrey's or robert plant's league

Sure. Rodgers has a hell of a voice, though. His rendition of Queen is not faithful (but wouldn't it be the worst that could happen?), yet his vocals are tremendous.
Neither Free nor Bad Co played on the same field as Queen, I agree with you. Still, there's really something happening. Brian May and Roger Taylor look like getting their kicks, at least.
Let's put the whole thing into perspective too: it's not as if John Mellencamp were singing in Aerosmith...;)

flappo
01-31-2005, 04:12 PM
haha , fair enuff

i think on stuff like sleepin on the sidewalk or we will rock you he'll be ok

it's on high pitched fast stuff that he'll be fucked

i still think gerorge michael is the best choice , that somebody to love rendition he did at the fm concert was fucking awesome

tomballin
01-31-2005, 05:06 PM
haha , fair enuff

i still think gerorge michael is the best choice , that somebody to love rendition he did at the fm concert was fucking awesome

Yelp, Michael's was awesome doing that song, but the guy is also a major headcase. Road life is too tough for him.

>>>On the high pitched stuff

Know any rock stars with a "groomed" opera voice like Mercury's? I don't.......so it's suicide for any singer to try it.

I noticed on the video, Rodgers was backing off and letting the backup singers catch the really high stuff, which is the smart way to go, imo.

It's like Brian and Roger said in the interview videos I have. No one can replace Mercury, and they are not trying to replace him. Just have a singer that can represent Queen's music in a reasonable fashion and put on a good show for the fans. I thought that statement was perfect, imo.

Now all Brian and Roger have to worry about is if the fans will buy it, but from ticket sales, they are at this point in the game.

flappo
01-31-2005, 06:11 PM
i just hope roger holds up

he sure looks rough recently

Mezro
01-31-2005, 06:15 PM

No shit. He nailed that like moist roast beef.

Mezro...Curious George could handle the load...

bigc
01-31-2005, 06:29 PM
John Deacon isnt doing the tour because he retired following Freddie's death. he was always the quiet one and he simply doesnt want the rock and roll life anymore. he's got his family and his kids. Fair enough.

personally..who would have loved to have seen an onstage duo between Roth and Mercury! im sure they'd have blown the crowd away

DavidLeeNatra
01-31-2005, 06:38 PM
haha , fair enuff

it was funny to see how some "great" voices just fucked up, trying to sing freddie's songs...george michael was really outstanding this evening and took a good choice with somebody to love ...

tomballin
01-31-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by bigc
John Deacon isnt doing the tour because he retired following Freddie's death. he was always the quiet one and he simply doesnt want the rock and roll life anymore. he's got his family and his kids. Fair enough.

personally..who would have loved to have seen an onstage duo between Roth and Mercury! im sure they'd have blown the crowd away

>>>>personally..who would have loved to have seen an onstage duo between Roth and Mercury! im sure they'd have blown the crowd away

You mean before or after one killed the other, baaaaaa. Man, that would have been a caustic mix of egos.

Second, Roth has no vocal range, never has, Mercury would have blow him off the stage, and loved ever minute of it.

tomballin
01-31-2005, 07:43 PM
i just hope roger holds up

he sure looks rough recently

I think he looks a hell of a lot better than when he toured in 99 with Dave. Check out some of those 99 pics and see what ya think.

Mr Grimsdale
02-01-2005, 02:52 AM
big cogs dock

Panamark
02-01-2005, 05:38 AM
George Michael !

Yes he would be better ! He could keep Freddies old groupies happy
too !

tomballin
02-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
George Michael !

Yes he would be better ! He could keep Freddies old groupies happy
too !

Baaaaaawaaaaa

I think no one could touch Mercury on stage, and off stage for his antics.

Sadly, if anyone deserved to get AIDS for not controling their personal life style, it was Freddie Mercury.

Golden AWe
02-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Have you seen the new ads?

The ones in our newspapers say

Queen

On Tour

Queen + Paul Rodgers

I think it's about fair enough.

Jérôme Frenchise
02-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Have you seen the new ads?

The ones in our newspapers say

Queen

On Tour

Queen + Paul Rodgers

I think it's about fair enough.

That hot funk-rocker was J. Deacon's composition.

Mezro
02-01-2005, 02:30 PM
The thing about Freddie is that a voice like that only comes along once in a lifetime.

Mezro...think i'll put on the Flash Gordon soundtrack and be a total geek...

Mr Grimsdale
02-01-2005, 03:58 PM
we're back to catos "why are all english singers arse bandits?" thread

GAR
02-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Why are all Japs such slanty-eyed zipperfaced freaks?

GAR
02-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Why is the sky blue?

Why do birds have wings???

Mr Grimsdale
02-01-2005, 04:18 PM
hi de hi

Mezro
02-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by GAR

It is a bitch getting them to shave.

Mezro...gash rash and broken english = a good time...come on baby...fuck daddy harder for another LV bag...

Jérôme Frenchise
02-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by GAR

Yeah, and why Italians must always get edgy about ridiculous matters?
And why do all the French have to eat frog legs for lunch and dinner?
And why do the English drive on the wrong side of the road (to piss off Napoleon who declared, to make himself interesting, that everybody in Europe should drive on the right-hand side of the road, just to piss off Caesar - who didn't give a fuck because, er... you know - who got everybody on the left)?
Yes, and why are the Swiss so slow all the time? (Because they think about their bank accounts.)
The end's come, my friend, all the people are the same (repeat)

Are people really all the same?:)

Jérôme Frenchise
02-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Anyway, the Queen made wonderful music. I place them just after the Beach Boys and before...the Beatles!:D

DavidLeeNatra
02-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Baaaaaawaaaaa

Sadly, if anyone deserved to get AIDS for not controling their personal life style, it was Freddie Mercury.

oh come on...he got it at a time when you really didn't know that much about it...around 1986 so this comment was a bit rude...

Shaun Ponsonby
02-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Good point, Mr Natra.

Freddie was the best. Listen to Queen's 'Made In Heaven' album. It's not Queen's best-but it was their last. Just listen to Freddie's voice, bearing in mind that he was recording vocals for it a week or two before he died, and yet he still had a lot of power. One of the greatest talents that the music business ever created. Which is seen in the fact that many of his songs are still played today. I have a theory that everybody likes at least one Queen song, whether it's the shitty singles like 'Radio Ga Ga' and 'A Kind Of Magic', or Freddie's piano ballads like 'Nevermore' or 'My Melancholy Blues', the hard rock numbers like 'Ogre Battle' or 'Tie Your Mother Down', the disco songs like 'Another One Bites The Dust' or 'Staying Power'.

Justin Hawkins: "If somebody says they don't like 'Bohemian Rhapsody', they're lying!"

Golden AWe
02-01-2005, 06:26 PM
in general, all the fags should not die of aids

they should be burned alive!

DLR7884
02-01-2005, 06:30 PM
LOL.

DLR7884
:)

Jérôme Frenchise
02-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Baaaaaawaaaaa

Tomba, man, I very often agree with your posts, but I think this time you put it in the wrong way.

Who on earth deserves such a rotten disease as aids, safe certified bastards and criminals?

I am as hetero as can be, but except the homo that will stand as nobody but homos (like "occupation: homo", as if you could put "occupation: hetero" as a standard activity), I first and foreall consider them as persons. As such, I would never think they deserve a fatal desease for queer fornication, would you?

Let's say you just didn't use the right word, did you?

tomballin
02-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
oh come on...he got it at a time when you really didn't know that much about it...around 1986 so this comment was a bit rude...

Wasn’t trying to be rude only factual.

Freddie admitted privately, (per published reports that came out from his friends after his death) he knew he was not being safe many times and getting too crazy with the drugs, wild sex orgies, and going days on end without sleep sometimes. Just didn’t think it could happen to him. You have to remember that Mercury was a massive prima donna.

As to 1986, of course he knew about the AIDS virus by then. The guy had the best of everything including very knowledgeable doctors. The WHO had well publicized HIV/AIDS in 1985, and it’s rapid spread. The British government had an education program going and started a formal needle exchange program in early 86.

What Mercury didn’t know and many others at the time is in fact, the HIV virus is poorly communicated, despite all the bullshit you hear form the medical establishment.

But the rock and roll lifestyle, heavy partying, drugs, crazy hours, lack of sleep, mess up the immune system and substantially increase that person’s risk of catching the HIV virus if exposed via contact.

tomballin
02-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
Tomba, man, I very often agree with your posts, but I think this time you put it in the wrong way.

Who on earth deserves such a rotten disease as aids, safe certified bastards and criminals?

I am as hetero as can be, but except the homo that will stand as nobody but homos (like "occupation: homo", as if you could put "occupation: hetero" as a standard activity), I first and foreall consider them as persons. As such, I would never think they deserve a fatal desease for queer fornication, would you?

Let's say you just didn't use the right word, did you?

Ok, should have stated it different.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk, but hell if you read the personal accounts, even from his own bandmates, Freddie would take off and like in one case went to a gay area in Switzerland he heard about and screwed every male he could find, drugging and staying up for days on end.

The personal accounts said Mercury got really bad about "hunting" new gay areas and "lovers" to have as much male sex as the guy could find.

I am not trying to trash the guy, God rest his soul, the world lost an incredible and genius musician, but the facts are the facts.

I have always said it is best for the public to never know about the personal lives of our rock heros, because in many cases, it will totally destroy the real value they offer, being their music.

tomballin
02-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
hi de hi

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=385767

Baaaawaaaaaa!!! I don’t condone this sort of stuff Grimsdale, but this is the funniest thing I have ever seen.........

You have a real talent with your graphics ability, ROFLOL.

Jérôme Frenchise
02-01-2005, 07:29 PM
All right, I was only mistaken about the word "deserve". I took it in the first degree. I'm sorry!:cool:

tomballin
02-01-2005, 08:05 PM
All right, I was only mistaken about the word "deserve". I took it in the first degree. I'm sorry!:cool:

Being a formally trained musician and a studio engineer, I am not very tolerate of musicians that think the rules don't apply to them.

That said, Mercury paid the ultimate price, but the guy set a real strong and powerful example for how he "went out".

He didn't go "poor me" crying to the public about his AIDS, beg around for more AID's research money, start some bull shit AIDS awareness program, and Mercury accepted that he was to blame for his problem.

I had a lot of respect for how the guy handled his situation, when he knew there was no way out. I also loved how he "thumbed his nose" at the ahole press continuing to try and dig into his personal business and life.

I thought it was really cool that Mercury wrote that note (had it written) to the press the day before he died confirming he had AIDS.

To me he was just saying a big “fuck you, I'm still in control” to the press.

flappo
02-02-2005, 08:00 AM
they say the beatles first , then queen

i disagree

the beatles were rubbish live and their early stuff 'she loves you' etc was pop crap . plus as musicians they were pretty inept - look at ringo - arguably the worst drummer in rock history

i think queen piss over the beatles in every fucking way

Jérôme Frenchise
02-02-2005, 10:57 AM
they say the beatles first , then queen

i disagree

the beatles were rubbish live and their early stuff 'she loves you' etc was pop crap . plus as musicians they were pretty inept - look at ringo - arguably the worst drummer in rock history

i think queen piss over the beatles in every fucking way

I agree, as I ranked Queen number 2 and the Beatles number 3. Yet, I'm not so sure about the Beach Boys being number 1 in that musical alley. What do you think, Flappo? And you, Tomba, as a professional?:confused: :)

flappo
02-02-2005, 11:10 AM
yeah , i like the beach boys

i do know they wipe the floor with overrated rubbish like the stones

never got into that lot

always preffered the who

tomballin
02-02-2005, 12:02 PM
I agree, as I ranked Queen number 2 and the Beatles number 3. Yet, I'm not so sure about the Beach Boys being number 1 in that musical alley. What do you think, Flappo? And you, Tomba, as a professional?:confused: :)

Well, I have said it a zillion times,......music and women are a matter of personal interpretation and how they make you feel.

From a music history/contribution standpoint you have to rank the Beatles #1, because they laid the foundation for the English R & R movement in the U.S., that really spawned everyone including Hendrix.

Did I like the Beatles, No
Have I ever bought a Beatles album, No
Have I ever studied their music, No

Queen? Yes on all three questions.

In fact, the first time I ever watched a video with Beetles music, was the “Concert for George” memorial benefit, 11/29/02, put on/produced by Eric Clapton and Jeff Lynn, along with a host of other greats that were friends of Harrison.

I wouldn’t have watched the DVD but a friend came over and wanted to check it out in my media room. I told him, well I wasn’t a Beetles/George Harrison fan, but whatever. We watched the video, on the big screen with the hyper surround sound dialed in, and my jaw hit the floor that concert was so awesome. Just incredible!

Clapton and Lynn together, doing Harrison’s finer musical contributions, (none of which I was a fan) were beyond words, imo. Clapton also played with emotion I have not seen since watching videos of Eric’s early years. Musically, Clapton and Lynn dwarfed Paul McCartney in that gig.

Everyone talks about how great Clapton was at the Crossroads Guitar Festival in Dallas last June, (and he was good, and that is also an awesome DVD set), but he was nothing compared to his performance at the Harrison memorial benefit held at The Royal Albert Hall.

tomballin
02-02-2005, 12:10 PM

Jérôme Frenchise
02-02-2005, 05:19 PM
yeah , i like the beach boys

i do know they wipe the floor with overrated rubbish like the stones

never got into that lot

always preffered the who

Overrated rubbish?? They're among the few greatest composers, in my opinion, like the Stones. Plus they were the first real sound explorers, still hard to match in music history, safe by the "Sergent Pepper" Beatles, and some Queen stuff.
The Beach Boys may sound a bit stupid as far as the words are concerned, yet their music is just incredible and really timeless.
But as tomballin says, it's a matter of personal judgement at such a level.

Jérôme Frenchise
02-02-2005, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tomballin
[B] Well, I have said it a zillion times,......music and women are a matter of personal interpretation and how they make you feel.

From a music history/contribution standpoint you have to rank the Beatles #1, because they laid the foundation for the English R & R movement in the U.S., that really spawned everyone including Hendrix.

Did I like the Beatles, No
Have I ever bought a Beatles album, No
Have I ever studied their music, No

Queen? Yes on all three questions.[QUOTE]

I have every single Stones record, but I don't have the slightest Beatles album. Just a matter of approach, or spirit. But I obviously recognize their unquestionable influence.
To me, Queen went further, it's plain to hear. They were both the Beach Boys and the Beatles of their time, and they were undeniable stage masters, which the Beatles never were.
That's why I put Queen first.

The Who played in another field/land. In their genre, they're maybe even "better". I wouldn't change half of my collection of the Who for the Beach Boys's + Beatles's + Queen's complete recordings.:)

tomballin
02-03-2005, 12:52 AM
I have every single Stones record, but I don't have the slightest Beatles album. Just a matter of approach, or spirit. But I obviously recognize their unquestionable influence.
To me, Queen went further, it's plain to hear. They were both the Beach Boys and the Beatles of their time, and they were undeniable stage masters, which the Beatles never were.
That's why I put Queen first.

The Who played in another field/land. In their genre, they're maybe even "better". I wouldn't change half of my collection of the Who for the Beach Boys's + Beatles's + Queen's complete recordings.:)

Like the Beatles, I don’t have any Stones albums or enjoy them either. (Same goes for the Beach Boys). However, are the Stones one of the greatest rock bands ever? Yes, because they came to the States behind the Beatles and really helped catalyze the R & R movement.

For me, the U.S. R & R revolution, that provides a lot of the music roots even today, didn’t really start until the anti-Vietnam/acid rock/psychedelic bands hit the scene in the mid to late 60’s. When you “stand back” at look at it, everything happened and gelled together in ‘67-’70.

I’m talking, Jimi Hendrix, Leslie West and Mountain, (EVH and Leslie West are very good friends, and EVH has always said Leslie was a big influence on his music), Frank Zappa…..

the supergroups that evolved from the San Fransico/Haight Ashbury/Bill Graham movement like Grace Slick-Jefferson Airplane/Janis Joplin-Big Brother and the Holding Company (Janis and Grace Slick were best friends during the SanFran movement)/Grateful Dead,

and then more British supergroups hitting the U.S. shores in ‘69 & ‘70, like Ozzy-Black Sabbath/Jeff Beck-The Byrds/The Who/Led Zeppelin

(Every one of those above listed bands/musicians I have studied heavily over the years.)

Then in ’74 Queen makes their first U.S Tour, and then headlines their own Tour in '75. Queen was interesting because the U.S. R & R movement fell on its ass after the death of Joplin and Hendrix in ’70 and then the Disco movement came into vogue in the mid 70’s.

Queen was so different and unusual they made it in the 70’s when all the other rock bands were flipping hamburgers for a living. I mean Queen Toured the U.S. ‘74/75/76/77/78/79, and left all the other bands wondering how they hell they were doing it.

Not only was Queen really a different band and sound, a lot of bands didn't care if you listened to their music or not. Mercury and Queen would keep their music in your face and make you listen.

Jérôme Frenchise
02-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Like the Beatles, I don’t have any Stones albums or enjoy them either. (Same goes for the Beach Boys). However, are the Stones one of the greatest rock bands ever? Yes, because they came to the States behind the Beatles and really helped catalyze the R & R movement.

For me, the U.S. R & R revolution, that provides a lot of the music roots even today, didn’t really start until the anti-Vietnam/acid rock/psychedelic bands hit the scene in the mid to late 60’s. When you “stand back” at look at it, everything happened and gelled together in ‘67-’70.

I’m talking, Jimi Hendrix, Leslie West and Mountain, (EVH and Leslie West are very good friends, and EVH has always said Leslie was a big influence on his music), Frank Zappa…..

the supergroups that evolved from the San Fransico/Haight Ashbury/Bill Graham movement like Grace Slick-Jefferson Airplane/Janis Joplin-Big Brother and the Holding Company (Janis and Grace Slick were best friends during the SanFran movement)/Grateful Dead,

and then more British supergroups hitting the U.S. shores in ‘69 & ‘70, like Ozzy-Black Sabbath/Jeff Beck-The Byrds/The Who/Led Zeppelin

(Every one of those above listed bands/musicians I have studied heavily over the years.)

Then in ’74 Queen makes their first U.S Tour, and then headlines their own Tour in '75. Queen was interesting because the U.S. R & R movement fell on its ass after the death of Joplin and Hendrix in ’70 and then the Disco movement came into vogue in the mid 70’s.

Queen was so different and unusual they made it in the 70’s when all the other rock bands were flipping hamburgers for a living. I mean Queen Toured the U.S. ‘74/75/76/77/78/79, and left all the other bands wondering how they hell they were doing it.

Not only was Queen really a different band and sound, a lot of bands didn't care if you listened to their music or not. Mercury and Queen would keep their music in your face and make you listen.

Great post again, Tomba! You really set it right. I agree with most of what you wrote, safe Mountain and Leslie West, just because ...I haven't got the records yet.
You'll be damn happy to go for the Stones in your old days, in a way you're lucky, it'll be a hell of a garden left to explore then.

When you have an adequate pair of ears, you can't miss Queen as being gigantic. I stick to my word, I even put them in the first place now, ahead of the Beach Boys and Beatles.

They may find another name including "Queen", perhaps. Like "Queen and Company".

tomballin
02-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Great post again, Tomba! You really set it right. I agree with most of what you wrote, safe Mountain and Leslie West, just because ...I haven't got the records yet.
You'll be damn happy to go for the Stones in your old days, in a way you're lucky, it'll be a hell of a garden left to explore then.

When you have an adequate pair of ears, you can't miss Queen as being gigantic. I stick to my word, I even put them in the first place now, ahead of the Beach Boys and Beatles.

They may find another name including "Queen", perhaps. Like "Queen and Company".

Mountain was not a prolific band, like some of the others. In fact I don't rate them in the top 20 greatest rock groups even. But Leslie West was very unusual because he was a big fat guy, but had a real “sweat” smooth voice, and a killer “fat sound” with his guitar.

His sound/style is all over EVH’s music and the only person EVH took the stage with live, between ’98 and ‘04 Tours was Leslie West.

Here’s the thread where I posted info and pictures of the gig at the House of Blues in L.A.

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16124&perpage=30&pagenumber=2

Rueglio
02-11-2005, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Marlowe--why would you settle to see this crap?

I'm 26 and I never saw Queen live either, but I'd rather just watch footage of Freddie than pay to see the crap they are gonna sell.

Let's put it this way....Queen without Freddie is like VH without Dave.

DLR7884
I won't pay to see either.

I agree, but Paul Rogers Kicks Serious ASS!!!

BenJammin
03-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Rueglio
I agree, but Paul Rogers Kicks Serious ASS!!!

Agreed. Considering his age, and how many singers from his era are either dead, retired, or can't sing the way they used to... his voice is almost exactly the same as when he was in Free. One of the premier voices in rock history.