Clear All
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

San Francisco Supervisors Propose Gun Ban

San Francisco Supervisors Propose Gun Ban

Wed Dec 15, 8:30 PM ET U.S. National - AP

By LISA LEFF, Associated Press Writer

SAN FRANCISCO - City residents will vote next year on a proposed weapons ban that would deny handguns to everyone except law enforcement officers, members of the military and security guards.

If passed next November, residents would have 90 days to give up firearms they keep in their homes or businesses. The proposal was immediately dismissed as illegal by a gun owners group.

The measure — submitted Tuesday to the Department of Elections by some city supervisors — would also prohibit the sale, manufacturing or distribution of handguns, and the transfer of gun licenses, according to Bill Barnes, an aide to Supervisor Chris Daly.

Firearms would be allowed only for police officers, security guards, members of the military, and anyone else "actually employed and engaged in protecting and preserving property or life within the scope of his or her employment," according to the measure.

Barnes said Wednesday the initiative is a response to the rising homicide rate and other social ills, noting: "We think there is a wide benefit to limiting the number of guns in the city."

Gun Owners of California, a Sacramento-based lobbying group, quickly called the ban illegal. Sam Paredes, the group's executive director, said state law bars local governments from usurping the state's authority to regulate firearms.

"The amazing thing is they are going to turn San Francisco into ground zero for every criminal who wants to profit at their chosen profession," Paredes said.

How many residents would be affected by the ban is unclear, since California does not require residents to register handguns that are kept in a private residence of business.

Washington, D.C., is the only major American city that currently bans handgun possession by private citizens. Andrew Arulanandam, director of public affairs for the National Rifle Association, said San Francisco would be remiss to use that city as a model.

"If gun control worked, Washington, D.C., would be the beacon. However, it's the murder capital of the United States," he said.

In San Francisco, five of the 11-member Board of Supervisors submitted the measure directly to the Department of Elections — one more than the minimum needed to get the measure on the ballot without signatures from registered voters.

The city's voters have frequently championed liberal causes. In the last election, a nonbinding ballot measure to condemn the war in Iraq (news - web sites) and immediately pull out U.S. troops immediately passed with ease.

If approved, the weapons ban would take effect in January 2006.
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

"If gun control worked, Washington, D.C., would be the beacon. However, it's the murder capital of the United States,"

That was my response prior to my reading of this rediculous proposal...

Comment

• BrownSound1
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Mar 2003

I personally blame San Francisco for the pussyfication of Van Halen.

Now as far as the gun ban...only the criminals will have guns.

Comment

• Jesus Christ
        Veteran
        • Jan 2004

he who lives by the sword will die by the sword.

Comment

• classicdude
          Foot Soldier
          • Apr 2004

Didn't Morton Grove Illinois (aka "Moron Grove") try the same thing some years ago?

Somewhere, Charlton Heston is uttering the "cold, dead fingers" line.....

Comment

• Lou

Originally posted by Brownsound1

I'll say this much about Frisco, the person most responsible for the Van HALEN bootlegs we have today lives out there. Without him, a lot of this shit wouldn't be spread.

Comment

• TLR
              Head Fluffer
              • Jun 2004

I'm going to use the old line: It's not the guns that kill people. It's the people who kill people. Period. Get rid of the assholes, not the guns...

Comment

• BrownSound1
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Lou
                I'll say this much about Frisco, the person most responsible for the Van HALEN bootlegs we have today lives out there. Without him, a lot of this shit wouldn't be spread.
                I could have done without Frisco's contribution of Sammy Hagar though.

Comment

• Big Train
                  Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

To quote the Cunt:

Getting all of us ready for a police state. Slowly they will infiltrate the rest of our lives.

One day they will be telling you which church to go to. Laugh now then remember this post when it goes down. Then I will be laughing, if it's still legal.

By yourself a copy of Orwell's 1984 for Christmas. (And another copy of the VH too. You know, for the car).

Ford, I hope you remember this when you get on your horse about conservatives "shitting all over the constitution".

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Nov 2004

The handguns out on the streets right now; being used to rob liquor stores and kill people, came from you gun nuts. They were stolen from the houses of law abiding citizens just like you gun nuts.

After they steal your gun, you go and out buy another one for them to steal! This seems counterproductive to me.

Hey Rambo, you don't need a handgun like you don't need a shoulder mounted rocket launcher.

Keep your shotguns. Hell, I don't care if you have a sawed off for protection, just no handguns! Who are you? Dirty Harry?

If you are convicted of using a handgun in a crime you should go to jail for fifty years manditory. No parole.

Christ used no weapon.
                    Last edited by DEMON CUNT; 12-17-2004, 05:26 AM.
                    Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                      To quote the Cunt:

Getting all of us ready for a police state. Slowly they will infiltrate the rest of our lives.

One day they will be telling you which church to go to. Laugh now then remember this post when it goes down. Then I will be laughing, if it's still legal.
                      Fuck yeah! That's some of my finest work. Fuckin' full on prophesy, bro!

Ford, I hope you remember this when you get on your horse about conservatives "shitting all over the constitution".
                      HA! HA! This is 100% pure Big Train bullshit. What about the Patriot Act? Who's responsible for that?

The Constitution is for everyone, not just gun owners.
                      Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Given the fact that homosexuals will likely be the first in line for the BCE concentration camps, you would think gun ownership in SF would actually be increasing. :confused:
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
                          Fuck

The Constitution is for everyone, not just gun owners.
                          "We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans."
                          -- Bill Clinton, March 1, 1993, USA Today
                          “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                            "We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans."
                            -- Bill Clinton, March 1, 1993, USA Today
                            Do you have this tattooed on your ass?

Comment

• Mezro
                              Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by Brownsound1

Hey, hey, hey...Hagar lives in Marin County.

Mezro...we had nothing to do with that motherfucker being in VH...
                              Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

Working...