PDA

View Full Version : Randy Johnson 3 way Deal?

redblkwht
12-16-2004, 10:48 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/12/16/johnson.trade.report/index.html

I cant believe it finally went down..
comments? im sure there will be many..lmao
Yanks now have a decent rotation eh?

Bob_R
12-16-2004, 11:01 PM
RJ, Wright, Pavano's next!

Brown will be released before spring training.

redblkwht
12-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Isnt he contracted bro? Im assuming he was, they should trade for
Sosa..if they dump him, might as well trade shit for shit..

Carmine
12-17-2004, 10:43 AM
GOOD NEWS IN YANKEE LAND!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Brett
12-17-2004, 07:34 PM
It's funny, the Dodgers are giving away the world and they're not the ones getting Johnson.

The worst two days in Dodger history. Losing Beltre and now this. Embarrassing.

distortion9
12-17-2004, 07:39 PM
April 4th can't come fast enough....

LET'S GO YANK-EES, STOMP,STOMP,STOMPSTOMPSTOMP

Bob_R
12-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by redblkwht
Isnt he contracted bro? Im assuming he was,

He probably is. I hate him dude. I think they are going to dump him. But, I could be wrong.

Roth & Roll
12-17-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Brett
It's funny, the Dodgers are giving away the world and they're not the ones getting Johnson.

The worst two days in Dodger history. Losing Beltre and now this. Embarrassing.

I agree about losing Beltre but you're nuts in regards to the trade.

The Dodgers made out like bandits in this trade.
They got rid Green's albatross of a contract ($16 million in 2005), while picking up Javy Vazquez who will dominate pitching back in the NL with a pitcher-friendly park like Dodger Stadium to call home.

Eric Duncan is an absolute stud - this was the crown jewel of the Yankee farm system. 20 year old left handed power hitting 3B/1B with speed who has tremendous upside. He will be starting for the Dodgers by 2007. The only question with Duncan is when he will permanently make the move to 1B due to his weak throwing arm. It's the only flaw in his game.

Navarro gives the Dodgers a major league-ready starting cathcer for 2005. He is an excellent defensive catcher who does not have much power and is projected as a .280 - .300 hitter. He fills a need at a low cost.

The Dodgers stand to free up roughly $9 million in this trade; money they can use to sign Carlos Delgado or perhaps even make a run at Carlos Beltran.

You may not believe it, but the Dodgers ARE the long term winners in this trade.

The only thing of value that the Dodgers lose in this trade is Yhency Brazoban, but Vazquez is definately an upgrade over Brad Penny. Vazquez is a workhorse with filthy stuff. Replacing Green with perhaps Carlos Delgado is a definate upgrade in terms of offensive production. In Duncan, the Dodgers just acquired a future All-Star.

Roth & Roll
12-18-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
RJ, Wright, Pavano's next!

Brown will be released before spring training.
That would make no sense as the Yankees would still have to pay him the $15 million he's due for 2005.

I do see him getting deal to either Atlanta or Texas with NY kicking in at least $8 million towards his salary, but I don't see him getting dealt until Spring Training - not while there are better free agent options available.

Bob_R
12-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Sources: Johnson trade submitted to Selig for approval
By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer
December 21, 2004

NEW YORK (AP) -- The three teams in the proposed trade that would send Randy Johnson from Arizona to the New York Yankees signed off on the deal and submitted it to baseball commissioner Bud Selig for approval.

Paperwork for the deal, which also involves the Los Angeles Dodgers, was sent to Selig at about 2 a.m. Tuesday, two people involved in the complex talks said on the condition of anonymity.

Selig's approval is necessary because more than $1 million will change hands. The Dodgers are sending the Yankees the money to pay part of left-hander Kazuhisa Ishii's salary.

Once Selig approves, New York wants a 72-hour window to negotiate a contract extension with Johnson. The five-time Cy Young Award winner is owed $16 million in the last year of his contract.

Los Angeles would receive right-hander Javier Vazquez from the Yankees along with two top prospects, catcher Dioner Navarro and third baseman Eric Duncan, and the Dodgers would get pitcher Mike Koplove from Arizona. Los Angeles might redeal Vazquez to another team.

Arizona would get outfielder Shawn Green and pitchers Brad Penny, Yhency Brazoban and Brandon Weeden.

Johnson and Green have no-trade clauses. Johnson wants to play for the Yankees; Green has not yet waived his right to block a trade.

``I've gone through different stages going back to last Friday,'' Dodgers general manager Paul DePodesta said Monday night. ``At times, I thought it was going to happen and at times I didn't think it would. We're still on a roller-coaster.''

In other Yankees news, free-agent center fielder Carlos Beltran was to meet Yankees owner George Steinbrenner on Tuesday in Tampa, Fla.

Steinbrenner planned to attend the meeting with Yankees president Randy Levine and general manager Brian Cashman.

Beltran finished the season with the Houston Astros, who would like to re-sign him. It's also possible that the Chicago Cubs and Dodgers could pursue him.

Updated on Tuesday, Dec 21, 2004 10:05 am EST

Carmine
12-21-2004, 10:52 AM
things are looking VERY GOOD for 2005!

Bill Lumbergh
12-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
things are looking VERY GOOD for 2005!

Yep, another 200 million dollar payroll! What a "team"! ;)

Carmine
12-21-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
Yep, another 200 million dollar payroll! What a "team"! ;)

Ahhhh BIll, it may be a bit higher this year!

Brett
12-21-2004, 04:26 PM
LOL, Dodgers are so dumb. Giving away good veteran players for a shitty pitcher and a bunch of prospects. I thought for sure when I saw Penny, Brazoban, Green, and Randy Johnson's name, that obviously the Dodgers were getting Johnson. I should have figured that out right away with the GM and the ownership, that was never going to happen. We'd rather get a bunch of nobodys.

Someone needs to make McCourt sell the Dodgers, he has ruined the franchise, and finally after they were good. Let Beltre go, let Finley go, giving away what quality remains. And this is what what they sign, an over the hill Jeff Kent, and one of those loser Valentin guys who hit's .160. Good moves DiPodesta.

I'm officially done cheering for the Dodgers. I'm going back to my bandwagon status until the ownership starts respecting the fans, and puts a good product back on the field....LIKE WE FINALLY HAD LAST YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POJO_Risin
12-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Now wait...let's wait and see what this falls into...

there are some ifs here...

and PS...letting Beltre go was a bonehead move...of course...he's had one good year...so who knows...but...anyways...

They get Vazquez...Navarro and Duncan...two good prospects...Navarro a catcher...who would be invaluable...

now...Vazquez is then rumored to be heading to Chicago then...for DeMasco Marte and another starter prospect. Marte would fill the whole left by the dude they traded last year to Florida...what the fuck was his name...Gagne's setup guy...and Marte can close as well...

Then...LA signs JD Drew (injury prone yes...but solid all around) and Derek Lowe...who is solid...irregardless of what is being said about him...

If they do all of those things...then they are fine...although I like Brad Penny...

plus...they get rid of Izuki...although they'd have to pay some of his salary in the deal (can you imagine...the Yanks telling the Dodgers to pay salary...lmfao)...

If they end up with Navarro, Duncan, Lowe, Drew, Marte and a top White Sox pitching prospect...they'll be fine...and lower in the payroll department...

POJO_Risin
12-21-2004, 04:35 PM
The thing is...why pay Drew the same money you coulda payed Beltre?

Brett
12-21-2004, 04:38 PM
Sir, we have now managed to lose 130 home runs. Plus, it's no fun to cheer for a team like this, that does stuff like this. It's shitty for the fans, and I don't see how it's making them better. I realize Beltre had one good year, but I seriously doubt he's going back to .240 and 18 homers. They should have figured out a way to pay him and STFU about it. He and Finley carried this team, they were the heroes all year, and both allowed to just walk away.

Brett
12-21-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
The thing is...why pay Drew the same money you coulda payed Beltre?

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POJO_Risin
12-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Didn't they get Finley at the trade deadline?...or later?...lmfao...you can't add ALL of his power to what they lost...because I don't even think that 20 of his dingers were with the Dodgers...

and I know his stats weren't great with the Dodgers...very streaky...and rare power...I remeber looking at his split stats...and they were much more bloated to the first half of the year...

great fielder though...but old...

And Shawn Green is a fucking hack at this point...to damn streaky...

Kent WILL provide power...if they get Drew...so will he...Kent has had 1 bad year in the past 10...is he past his prime? We'll see this year...Drew is injury prone...but man can that kid play...

Look...I'm not saying they fucked up some...but if they get a good package of prospects...and Lowe and Drew...

Don't forget...LA has what...8 players going to arbitration today? That's going to be some serious coin...so...They had to dump some salary...

they are capping it at 100 million this year...and they WEREN'T going to the series with the team they had last year....

the thinking was to get a good package of prospects...and still be competative...

and they will be...they have a good manager...and if all this comes to be...plenty of talent...

although I'm wondering a bit about their starters...

Brett
12-21-2004, 05:01 PM
They got him before. I think he hit maybe 17 or 18 homers as a Dodger, maybe 50 RBI's. But he had a lot, a lot, of game-winning hits. Also made some great defensive plays. He was carrying them that last month dude, him and Beltre. They don't win the division without those two guys.

I like your positive outlook, but they have to get these guys first. They would have a decent core getting Drew (if he stays healthy), Lowe, etc. The starters were the problem last year, I don't see it improving this season, they just gave away their #1 starter in Penny, and the best reliever outside of Gagne on the staff.

And losing Beltre just really hurt IMO. I figured that was a slam dunk, there was no doubt in my mind he was going to be back. Green I can live with out, although I like Shawn, he definitely hasn't produced enough the last few years.

POJO_Risin
12-21-2004, 05:25 PM
I just think when you look at the upside of the kids they are getting from the Yanks...along with everything else...its a great deal...Beltre was a mistake...but after that...who knows...Penny isn't really a loss...because he's never really pitched for them...

I think Dipodesto is a GM who lines thing up...if this deal goes through...they'll get the rest...

I live Vazquez...IMO...he struggled because of NY...he won't have that problem in LA...he's a good pitcher...

Brett
12-21-2004, 06:24 PM
Well Weaver was reborn here, so hopefully Vasquez will be too.

POJO_Risin
12-22-2004, 01:36 AM
Well...we'll see...I still don't see him staying...

redblkwht
12-22-2004, 02:00 AM
whats the chance LA wants sosa? they need a fanbase to take the place of beltre..

lucky wilbury
12-22-2004, 02:19 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1951207

Yanks,D-backs left to dream up trade again

The Dodgers withdrew Tuesday from the proposed three-team, 10-player trade that would have sent Randy Johnson from the Arizona Diamondbacks to the New York Yankees, who then criticized Los Angeles for "reneging" on the deal.

"As we sit here right now, the deal is no more," Dodgers general manager Paul DePodesta said during a conference call. "I've been saying all along that we weren't going to do the deal unless it made sense for this club in 2005, and that was not the case."

Yankees president Randy Levine had harsh words for the Dodgers after the deal's collapse.

"The Dodgers reneged on the deal that was agreed to last Friday, unequivocally and with no contingencies except for a window for contract extensions and physicals," Levine said. "For some reason, the Dodgers over the weekend started to backpedal. Why they would break their word is only something they can answer. It sure is disappointing, and we'll have to think long and hard before ever doing business with the Dodgers again."

Newsday reported on its Web site Tuesday night that Javier Vazquez did not want to play for the Dodgers and refused to travel to Los Angeles for a physical. The paper, citing a source involved in the discussions, cited that as the "primary reason" for the deal's failure.

"Javy is one of the players in this potential trade who had absolutely no choice in the process," the pitcher's agent, Sam Levinson said. "Javy was available after the holidays for examination purposes."

This leaves the Yankees and the Diamondbacks to consider other ways to trade Johnson to the Yankees.

Already, the Diamondbacks are believed to be seeking another third party to replace the Dodgers, fueled by a desire to move the Big Unit's salary once and for all. One major league executive familiar with the talks told ESPN.com that Arizona ownership had already been in contact with several teams late Tuesday night.

The other possibility, of course, is that Arizona and the Yankees will attempt to complete the deal on their own -- although they've failed thus far.

Earlier in the day, an official of one of the teams and a person close to one of the players involved in the trade said the deal had been submitted early Tuesday to baseball commissioner Bud Selig for approval. The two spoke on condition of anonymity.

The official said the Dodgers gave the go-ahead to finalize the trade late Monday and early Tuesday, when two conference calls were held. One call involved the general managers and baseball executive vice president Sandy Alderson, and the other included ownership representatives and Selig.

"We went over various considerations and most of the details of the proposed transaction," Alderson said. "I expected to have a follow-up this morning, and that never occurred."

The Yankees even told Vazquez's agent that the deal had been submitted, causing the agent to tell the pitcher he had been traded.

But Pat Courtney, a spokesman in the commissioner's office, said in the afternoon that more documentation had to be submitted before Selig could consider the complex transaction.

Sources told ESPN that they believed the Dodgers had been holding up the paperwork process.

"There were specific things in this deal that didn't work out," DePodesta said. "There were a lot of things to work out, a lot of things that were tentatively agreed on, but still details that we needed to work through."

Diamondbacks officials didn't return telephone calls seeking comment.

Yankees officials weren't available following DePodesta's announcement. Principal owner George Steinbrenner, president Randy Levine and GM Brian Cashman were in Tampa, Fla., meeting with free-agent center fielder Carlos Beltran. An offer to Beltran was not made, although one is expected to come at a later date. Beltran is scheduled to meet with other teams.

Los Angeles would have received right-hander Vazquez from the Yankees along with two top prospects, catcher Dioner Navarro and third baseman Eric Duncan. The Dodgers also would have gotten pitcher Mike Koplove from Arizona.

Arizona would have gotten outfielder Shawn Green and pitchers Brad Penny, Yhency Brazoban and Brandon Weeden from the Dodgers. Along with Johnson, the Yankees would have gotten pitcher Kaz Ishii from Los Angeles.

"We were probably the most deliberate in approaching it, and at the end of the day, it just wasn't going to come together and make sense for us," DePodesta said.

Johnson, a five-time Cy Young Award winner, has asked the Diamondbacks to trade him, but it's not clear whether the 41-year-old left-hander would accept a deal to any team other than the Yankees. He has a no-trade clause.

DePodesta said it was possible the Dodgers might get back involved in the trade, but he likely wouldn't be the one to initiate additional talks.

"Probably only if they call us," he said. "I don't think we'll actively pursue, but if they come after us, I'm sure we'll listen, as we would in any other case."

DePodesta said the Dodgers had not been looking to trade Green, and that he will speak with the outfielder.

"I'm looking forward to making a call to some of the guys and telling them to settle down and not be concerned with being traded," he said.

A baseball source told ESPN's Karl Ravech Tuesday night that Green has no desire to finish his career with the Dodgers and that the outfielder does not plan to re-sign with Los Angeles when his contract expires after the 2005 season.

According to the source, Green appeared ready to waive his no-trade clause to report to the Diamondbacks as part of the Johnson deal. And now that the deal has fallen apart, the Dodgers and Diamondbacks have already begun discussions on a stand-alone trade to send Green to Arizona. Details of the exact components of the trade are not yet known.

Brett
12-22-2004, 02:41 AM
Finally the Dodgers showed half a brain and pulled out of what would have been a disaster of a trade. And they stuck it to the Yankees, even better. Boohoo, Steinbrenner will have to figure out another way to get Johnson.

POJO_Risin
12-22-2004, 03:43 AM
You know what would be the capper?

if he agreed to goto the Dodgers.

Fuck the Yankees...