Carter to the Nets

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guwapo_rocker

Carter to the Nets

The New Jersey Nets and Toronto Raptors are in serious talks about a trade that would send Vince Carter to the Nets, several league sources told ESPN.com on Friday.

The Raptors would acquire Alonzo Mourning, Eric Williams, Aaron Williams and two first round draft picks in exchange for Carter. According to those same sources, the talks have moved to the point that they could be finalized before the end of the day.

All trades must be approved by the league office and players must pass physicals before they can become official. Carter is currently on the injured list with a strained left Achilles' tendon suffered last Friday and is to miss at least five games.

If the trade goes through, it would be the most serious indication yet that the Nets want to keep Jason Kidd and are willing to build a championship contender around him. After the offseason trades of Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles, Kidd expressed his displeasure with the direction the Nets were taking. However, with Carter on board, the Nets have a shot at moving back into contention.

According to one source, Kidd was briefed on the trade and thinks Carter will be a strong addition to the team.

A backcourt of Kidd, Carter and Richard Jefferson is a highlight reel waiting to happen. However the Nets will be very thin up front. After the trade, the Nets would have just Jason Collins, Brian Scalabrine and rookie Nenad Kristic to play on the front line. The move has more interesting implications for the Raptors. Both Aaron and Eric Williams are the type of players that Sam Mitchell is after. They are tough, blue collar guys who will play their hearts out. Mourning gives them some size at the five that they desperately need. However, it will be interesting to see how Mourning reacts to the trade.

He's been asking out of New Jersey all season because he wants to play for a contender. Whatever you think about this trade for Toronto, it's tough to say that it turns them into a playoff caliber team. Instead, the Raptors are trying to surround their star young player, Chris Bosh, with solid, veteran players who play the right way. The two first round picks should help them rebuild.

The Nets currently have in hand their own first round pick, the Sixers first round pick (top 8 protected) and the Clippers first rounder (top 14 protected). It wasn't clear immediately which picks would be headed to Toronto in the trade.

Anyone know much about Williams and Williams??

Linky Link
  • DLR7884
    ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

ZO WILL NEVER WEAR A RAPTORS JERSEY.

DLR7884
    NO WAY IN HELL.
    Originally Posted by WARF:
    DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• Brett
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

It's a done deal guys.

Comment

• ALinChainz
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

They wanted to get out from under Mourning's contract big time.

Wonder how Kidd looks at it, wasn't he instrumental in bringing Zo to NJ in the first place?

And it isn't like they didn't try to move Kidd in the off season either.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

Eric Williams is a good player...he's on my fantasy team...and he can fill the hole...
          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Roth & Roll
            Foot Soldier
            • Feb 2004

While his comeback has been courageous and inspriring, he really shoud have shut his mouth and focused on helping his team win.
            I don't care who you are; you don't start making trade demands after sitting out over a year.

He wanted his trade? He got it...

Now he should shut up and play.

Carter is a tremendous pick up for NJ.
            http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...oker-small.jpg

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Mourning not expected to play for Toronto

By ROB GILLIES, For the Associated Press

December 18, 2004

TORONTO (AP) -- Alonzo Mourning won't be reporting to the Toronto Raptors next week -- and may never play for them.

Mourning, acquired from New Jersey in a trade for Vince Carter on Friday, is in Miami undergoing medical tests and will be there through Christmas, Toronto general manager Rob Babcock said Saturday.

The 34-year-old center, who underwent a kidney transplant Dec. 19, 2003, does not have to report to the Raptors or pass a physical for the trade to go through.

``We waived that because there was no way he'd probably pass a physical,'' Babcock said.

Mourning stopped playing earlier this month because of what he said were hip, knee, hand and leg problems. He also was openly unhappy with the Nets' offseason moves, and had demanded a trade to a contender. The Nets and Mourning discussed buying out his contract, but the two sides were too far apart.

Nets president Rod Thorn said Friday there's a chance Mourning would not report to Toronto because he wants to play for a winner.

Babcock claimed Saturday he hasn't discussed a buyout with Mourning's agent, and won't until his medical situation becomes clearer.

``He's going through a lot of medical things with his kidneys, evaluations and so forth,'' Babcock said. ``Things they do on a regular basis, and some stuff that they may have concerns with.''

If Toronto does buy Mourning out, there's been speculation he could sign with the Miami Heat, his old team, if a deal can be reached. The Raptors also could trade him to the Heat.

A Heat spokesman declined to comment about a reported deal involving the teams.

Calls to Mourning's agent, Jeffrey Wechsler, were not returned.

Babcock said Mourning was only included in the trade so that the salaries would match up. Toronto also acquired forwards Aaron Williams and Eric Williams, and two first-round draft picks for Carter.

``Alonzo was a secondary part of this trade,'' Babcock said. ``What we're focused on is the rest of the trade, which is the reason that we made this trade and that's getting Aaron and Eric Williams in here right away.''

Toronto coach Sam Mitchell said he wouldn't blame Mourning if he didn't report, considering the team is rebuilding and that his career could be over soon.

Mourning started the season on New Jersey's active roster, becoming the second pro athlete to return from a kidney transplant. Former San Antonio Spurs swingman Sean Elliott played 71 games over two seasons after undergoing a transplant in 1999.

He was hindered by an assortment of injuries in 18 regular-season games. An aching right hip makes his leg weak. His right pinkie has torn tendons, and his right knee and right Achilles' tendon are sore.

Mourning averaged 10.4 points and 7.1 rebounds in 25.4 minutes. The Nets signed him to a four-year, $22.6 million guaranteed contract in July 2003. But he played only 12 games before retiring Nov. 24 because of complications from focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, a kidney disease that was first diagnosed in 2000.

Comment

• redblkwht
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Will this trade go thru if Alonzo doesnt report..thats my question.

EUAS

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                  Eric Williams is a good player...he's on my fantasy team...and he can fill the hole...
                  Thanks Pojo, good riddance to Vince.

What kind of person/player is Vince Carter??

A report out of Washington states that Carter was tipping off

the Supersonics about Raptors plays in a recent game.

So if Vince isn't hurt, he is giving the other team your plays.

New Jersey can have him, the 20 fans that actually go to Nets

games will eat him alive the first time he doesn't get up!

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Originally posted by redblkwht
                    Will this trade go thru if Alonzo doesnt report..thats my question.
                    Yes!!

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Here is the article.

Report: Did Carter tip off the Sonics?

TSN.ca Staff with Tacoma News Tribune files

12/19/2004

Vince Carter may have written his ticket out of Toronto in more ways than one.

The Tacoma News Tribune reported Sunday that Raptors general manager Rob Babcock was informed last week that Carter may have tried to sabotage his team in a game against the SuperSonics a month ago.

Though there is no correllation between the information and Babcock's trading of Carter on Friday, the once popular Toronto guard was dealt less than 48 hours after Babcock was interviewed for a story about Carter's actions in the Nov. 19 game.

According to the News Tribune, three members of the Sonics said they believed Carter intentionally tipped off a play during the final minute of the Toronto's 101-94 loss.

With 29 seconds left in the game, and the Sonics leading 97-90, the Raptors called a timeout. After returning to the court, Carter lined up along the edge of the key, facing the Sonics' bench with his hands on his knees.

According to the players, Carter said directly to the Seattle bench, "It's a flare. It's a flare," hinting that the Raptors were running the flare play.

The Raptors then ran a flare play for Carter. He then made his way up the key with Sonics guard Ray Allen following him. Raptors forward Matt Bonner then set a screen on Allen for Carter, who then flared toward the opposite corner. A pass from Morris Peterson was made too long for Carter. Unable to make a clean shot, he passed the ball to Bonner, who hit a 22-foot shot from the top of the key.

According to one Sonics player, the bench reacted by saying, "Did you hear that? Did you see that? That's (expletive) up."

Allen, who was guarding Carter, told the paper: "I didn't hear it, but that's what those other guys were saying (after the game), Reggie (Evans) and those other guys. But all I said was, 'Why would he do that?' I don't know why he would do that."

"I don't want to get involved in that stuff, man," Evans said. "That stuff is deep. I ain't scared of Vince or nothing like that, but that is between him and his conscience. I ain't saying it did happen or it didn't happen. I'll leave that for Ray. I'll let Ray do all that type of talking, man."

Carter, reached through Raptors spokesman Jim LaBumbard, responded, "I'm not going to comment on something as ridiculous as that."

Babcock was reached by the News Tribune on Wednesday and said: "I hadn't heard that. I would hope that would not be the case, but I am not aware of that. If he did do that, I would be quite upset with that. But I don't know anything about that. It is nothing I heard."

"That's the type of thing that, if I was aware of it, we would deal with it internally, and we certainly would deal with it. But I am not aware of that.

"If something comes up to me like that, and it is solid, and it is obvious that it did happen, we would take care of it internally."

Link

Link to original story

Comment

• DLR7884
                        ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Well, Carter is an asshole...and like I said last week, Zo will never play for Toronto.

DLR7884
                        They need to trade him back to Miami.
                        Originally Posted by WARF:
                        DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• Brett
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Vince Carter is a puss. I feel bad for Zo, hope he gets to play somewhere else. And not behind the fat fuck in Miami.

Comment

• redblkwht
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Brett
                            Vince Carter is a puss. I feel bad for Zo, hope he gets to play somewhere else. And not behind the fat fuck in Miami.
                            Actually that sounds intriging..Diesel & Zo on the same team..good
                            prediction! I for one would like to see that happen. Shaq fu Brett..lmao

EUAS

Comment

• Brett
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Well Shaq will be missing his standard 25 games by mid-January, so Zo would definitely get the playing time.

Comment

Working...