PDA

View Full Version : Lest We Forget, The Battle of the Bulge was Fought 50 Years Ago

Nickdfresh
12-17-2004, 04:12 PM
This story is also recounted in Stephen Ambrose's "Citizen Soldiers:"

A hero remembers the Battle of the Bulge
From Brian Todd
CNN
Friday, December 17, 2004 Posted: 2:47 AM EST (0747 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- After 58 years of marriage, Lyle Bouck and his wife, Lucy, are still helping each other down the front walk.

"I didn't think we'd live that long," laughs Lucy.

At one point, Lyle didn't even think he'd make it to the altar.

Sixty years ago, Bouck was a young, whip-smart lieutenant, commanding a U.S. Army intelligence and reconnaissance platoon made up of 18 elite soldiers -- the eyes and ears of a fragmented Allied force pushing through Belgium toward the German border.

By mid-December 1944, they had just about reached the border. But there was a huge gap in the front lines, and Bouck's platoon was ordered to plug an isolated stretch of it, on a hill.

"We weren't trained to occupy a defensive position in the front lines. We were trained to patrol and get information about the enemy," says Bouck.

But the enemy found them.

On December 16, a huge column of German paratroopers got wind of Bouck's platoon, dug in on that hill.

The Germans threw some 700 men, in three waves, at Lyle Bouck and 17 other Americans.

The GIs had their orders.

"They were told to hold at all costs. Basically that meant 'until you get killed or taken prisoner,'" says Alex Kershaw, whose new book, "The Longest Winter," recounts the story of Bouck's platoon.

But by day's end, hundreds of Germans were dead.

Some Americans were badly wounded, but not one was killed, and they were captured only when they ran out of ammunition.

While he was interrogated inside a house nearby, Lyle Bouck watched a clock strike midnight. At that moment, he turned 21 years old -- and thought of what an aunt had told him years earlier.

"She had said if you live to be 21, you're going to have a good life. I guess ... that was significant," says Bouck.

Bouck and his men didn't realize they had been among the first Americans to confront Germany's desperate final offensive of the war: the Battle of the Bulge.

"Had they not stood and held the Germans and halted their attack, or rather postponed it for a crucial 24 hours, the Battle of the Bulge would have been a great German victory," says Kershaw.

Instead the Allies re-grouped, subdued the Germans and pushed to Berlin.

Bouck and his men spent four months in freezing, disease-infested prison camps -- and were near death when their own Army division freed them.

After he was liberated, Lyle Bouck was too weak physically to file a combat report -- and not of the mind to do it. The 21-year-old hero simply didn't think he'd done anything extraordinary.

"We were in those foxholes and ... what we did was to defend ourselves and try to live through it," says Bouck.

Bouck says he still has no idea why those German paratroopers didn't kill him and his men after their capture.

Alex Kershaw has an idea.

"The paratroopers said, and others have said since, 'We had too much respect for you. We put ourselves in your position and imagine what we would have done: 18 guys, massively outnumbered. You fought like lions,'" says Kershaw.

Sixty years later, an old lion can laugh about it.

ODShowtime
12-17-2004, 04:17 PM
See what happens when you have a deranged, power mad lunatic as your leader? You'll do stupid shit like muster all your forces for a last ditch effort which leaves your whole country open to invasion.

Nickdfresh
12-17-2004, 04:19 PM
In his book, Ambrose reports that the Germans had difficulty attacking these particular Americans because the they kept tripping over the bodies of the fellow soldiers killed in the previous waves.

ODShowtime
12-17-2004, 04:23 PM
I read that book awhile back. That and D-Day are EXCELLENT books. I'll have to re-read them.

This is probably a dumb question, but you've read "All Quiet on the Western Front" right?

Nickdfresh
12-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Actually no. But I've seen each film, the 1931 version is better than the Ernest Borgnine and "Johnboy" version, though I like that one too.

I just got done reading Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five." Excellent and depressing!

Mezro
12-17-2004, 05:01 PM
Lest we forget that the Battle of the Bulge is still going on at Jenny Craig centers around the globe.

Mezro...don't throw things...I couldn't help myself...

ODShowtime
12-17-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Mezro
Lest we forget that the Battle of the Bulge is still going on at Jenny Craig centers around the globe.

Mezro...don't throw things...I couldn't help myself...

I saw your name on this thread and wondered what you had to say about this. :cool:

Nick, I can't believe it. That is THE war book. The movies are alright, but damn that book could have been written yesterday. It really gives you a feel for the hopeless and soul-destroying aura of total warfare. highly recommended. And it was written by a German.

BigBadBrian
12-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
I read that book awhile back. That and D-Day are EXCELLENT books. I'll have to re-read them.

Not bad books indeed as I like Ambrose, but I actually prefer Charles B. MacDonald's A Time for Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge which goes into detail of the offensive with info about the Allied intelligence failure of missing the impending attack, while his Company Commander is an excellent account on the small-unit level. Both are highly recommended if you can get them.

ODShowtime
12-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Not bad books indeed as I like Ambrose, but I actually prefer Charles B. MacDonald's A Time for Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge which goes into detail of the offensive with info about the Allied intelligence failure of missing the impending attack, while his Company Commander is an excellent account on the small-unit level. Both are highly recommended if you can get them.

Hey BBB I'll take that into account. Ambrose is kinda "mainstream" ever since the Band of Brothers series came out. Wow that was a great miniseries though.

Seshmeister
12-18-2004, 05:28 AM
Poor Fab is still fighting...

BigBadBrian
12-18-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Poor Fab is still fighting...

:D